Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mozi posted:

challenge your neighbor to a rap battle

I'll rap battle you OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to start drawing tiny homes and handing them out ITT as a depression cure

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's one high tech tiny forest cabin to escape your depression in

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

here's a tiny underwater seaweed ranch that belongs to the very next poster itt

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

precision posted:

but i appreciate what they said i think it's one of the more helpful things that has been posted :confused:

like i think it is really important to recognize which things in one's life are, and which things are not, simply "brain weirds"

like, there is such a thing as people having bad luck, or getting into bad circumstances

it's so... weird... i mean like... fundamentally, certain aspects of my situation are so hosed. social stuff. but i have an okay job and even though i'm always on the verge of financial collapse, that's been how i've lived almost my whole life, and anyway like i said i have a dece job

so i can like, afford weed and video games. i don't drink anymore, i just don't like it. plus when i drink i get more depressed, unless i'm with friends. so there are many moments during the day when i'm like, "i'm fine. everything's fine"

but socially, you know, i hate to harp on or whatever but yo, for real, i feel like a weird ugly alien and the reason it sucks is because at every other point in my life prior to this, i was given to understand that i'm a cool handsome weirdo with flaws sure but ultimately a good egg

but now that's... kind of coming into question. and the reason that sucks especially is that i really feel like the past year or so of my life has been a process of getting a LOT more in touch with fruity spiritual nonsense about treating others well and not being a dick and etc. like i used to get really impatient when driving, for example, and a while ago i suddenly just realized "wait, i don't have to go as fast as possible at all times, literally nothing matters" and now i basically never get mad while driving

so, you know, it really sucks to feel like i'm progressing spiritually and "being a good person" and the univers is just bein like "heh... thats cute... get duked"

All of this is exactly why it's important for everyone to be in therapy (e: or at least have a vested interest in teaching themselves about psychology and mental health but take it from me, that's the long and difficult road for no benefit) because this is like, exactly what therapy helps you with. Understanding your emotions is important and basically what you're saying here is "people need to understand their emotions" and yeah, that's why everyone keeps saying go to therapy (not to you in particular just, in general). Having some understanding of your emotions is what allows you to recognize when something is brain weirds vs when something is situational. Emotional understanding is something parents are meant to teach you but the vast majority of parents never do because their parents never taught them, because their parents never taught them (etc., etc.) all the way back to whenever life in human society first became a shitshow and people first had too much going on to properly raise their children.

Transgenerational trauma compounds and snowballs over time and each successive generation is more emotionally immature and internally traumatized than the last, and understanding that and why it happens and how it affects you and any children you do or may in the future have is the only way to break the cycle and fix humanity. Zoomers understand all of this better than any previous generation and more than 1/3 of them have been in or are currently in therapy and they will probably be the first enlightened generation of modern times.

It doesn't need to be Capital-T "Therapy" with a therapist, but everyone needs to learn about and reflect upon their feelings and how they control their behaviors and shade their perceptions and thoughts, and everyone needs to recognize why they behave and believe the way that they do and what influenced those things so that they can assess whether they were "properly raised" and are actually an emotionally-mature adult, because most of us aren't, and understanding the way that we're not is the first step to getting better and not repeating the same mistakes with future generations. And for 99.99% of us, therapy is the best way to do all of that because our brains are hard-wired against truthful introspection. That's why it hurts and feels awkward as hell to be in therapy.

e: And I'm not suggesting therapy as a cure for depression or anything like that, because it's not a cure for depression in the same way that visiting the doctor for a checkup is not a cure for what ails you. Therapy is no different from a visit to the doctor and everyone regardless of their mental health status should get regular checkups.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 13, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hell Yeah posted:

i gave up trying to be self reliant and tried four antidepressants and one worked, and that seemed to resolve many issues. the problem is, once i sorted out what i can only assume is a chemical imbalance in my body that was causing my depression, i then had to deal with a separate crisis, a crisis of meaning. the farthest i've gotten is that helping people seems to have some meaning to it if you don't think about it too hard. helping people is never a good deal, it's almost never reciprocated, once i got past this it resolved many more issues.

i still struggle to look at the world around me and feel confident. i put on a great facade, but my inner world is much like anyone elses. how do you look at the world and feel good about your place in it? i live in the greatest most prosperous country on earth, and it loving sucks and we're doomed. i guess if you're focusing on trying to help the people around you, you can mostly rely on eachother. that's all there is. good luck op.

This is surely personal and different for everyone but for me it was detaching myself from the idea that my life needed to "mean something" or that "my place in the world" needed to be anything more than surviving and not being harmful to the life or environment around me. We're all just animals and we don't have some obligation to "achieve" or "be successful" - those are corporate propaganda, rags-to-riches stories are cherrypicked fiction to make the american dream seem achievable when it never has been. The only true "purpose" of life is to consume energy and, when and if advantageous, reproduce. Similarly chasing some never-ending "happiness" or euphoria or "success" will never work because "being happy all the time" is literally a mental illness.

But the reason that just reading that will never work for someone else is because it's, again, all very personal and you sort of need to figure out your own peace. My depression and anxiety was caused primarily by enormous amounts of imagined pressure I thought was on me constantly to be successful or to "achieve" or to "do something" because my parents felt that children were only worth loving if they were net-positive contributors to the family in some way, and I never had true "peace" at home unless I had recently contributed something of value (e.g. good grades or whatever).

e: In short I guess, assess why your expectations for life are what they are, and then challenge them to see whether they actually matter to you personally, or if they only matter to you because you feel like they are supposed to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Defining depression as one singular individual thing is dumb. Another thing that's dumb is getting mad at people for sharing 'conventional wisdom' about depression (things like exercise, eat healthier, get some sun, etc) because all of those things are among the top treatments for depression, regardless of whether it's minor situational depression or "I've been institutionalized 4 times and am 'clinically depressed' " depression, and a proper treatment plan for depression will always involve them. In most cases, any depression that isn't at least partially alleviated by these things is the result of brain damage or severe mental health disorders apart from Major Depressive Disorder. In those cases getting in therapy or counseling or whatever is even more important because there's clearly something underlying the depression that needs to be treated.

No matter how "clinically depressed" you are (because any diagnosed depression is technically clinical, and what people used to call "clinical depression" is actually called Major Depressive Disorder and the "clinical depression" nomenclature is based on a very naive and ancient mental healthcare landscape - which makes use of the term "clinical depression" usually pretty ironic because it's generally used by people who do not and have not sought actual mental healthcare) then the 'easy depression hacks' still apply unless a neurologist has told you that they do not (and no neurologist will ever tell you that because even if they're not 100% sure it's better to suggest those things).

But 'easy depression hacks' aren't a "depression cure". They are things you can do to nudge your brain chemistry toward a more peaceful state of mind. Our understanding of the ways that environment alters brain chemistry has grown exponentially in the last decade and what used to be referred to as "chemical imbalance" is essentially a symptom of underlying causes, it's not some 'unfixable' thing that just causes you to be sad or depressed, and blaming even Major Depressive Disorder on "chemical imbalance" or "bad brain chemistry" is naive and based on outmoded understanding of the brain.

The real kick in the balls about depression is that we have no tools or technology that will let us peer into someone's brain and determine why they are depressed and what they need to do to alleviate it. That's not something that even the best psychiatrist, therapist, or neurologist can just tell you. It's a deeply personal quest to figure it out. The mental health field in the context of depression exists not to "fix your depression", but to rule out underlying medical/dietary/nutritional/etc causes and then educate you on how your thoughts, emotions and behaviors work and interact with one another so that you can begin to put the puzzle together on your own. Because the puzzle is in your head, and you're the only one who can reach it there. The entire process is difficult and painful because it forces you to reflect on things that your brain is naturally designed to never reflect on. It might take a long time, or several medications, or failed starts or giving an earnest long-term try at things that don't seem to help, and some people never see results - but it's not because "therapy doesn't help them", it's because they don't do the internal work to apply that therapy to their own personal situation, they don't put the puzzle together themselves, and they expect doctors to just fix depression for them. Maybe you haven't been taught the right puzzle-solving technique or whatever but that doesn't mean "therapy doesn't help".

Oh yeah, and I have definitely experienced real true-blue "clinical depression". I started experiencing major depressive episodes and suicidal ideation at the age of 7, raised in a house that didn't believe in mental healthcare where I was told every day that all of my problems were because I was lazy and didn't try hard enough to be happy, got a BS dual-majored in psychology and philosophy then dropped out because I wasn't able to just "fix myself" with that and felt like I was a failure, ended up in therapy, spent 6+ years there, kept a vested interest in reading about mental health and educating myself on my own to get to where I am today - stable and infinitely better than I was from the age of 7-35.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 13, 2022