Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP I've analyzed your post and it sounds like you are primed to get "really into" something. Lots of people in situations just like yours have suddenly gotten really into something, with amazingly unpredictable results!

Some ideas for you:
- Warhammer 40K
- Vtubers
- Cryptocurrency
- Bizarre new workout routine
- Anime gacha games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

well i love to rap in an adversarial way
so i'd be happy to tussle using words all day
depression can be a real pain in the rear
but at least my words can bring me cheer
so don't spend all day mired in self-doubt
just open up your mouth and let the raps out
now watch me dance

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

roomtone posted:

i'm not saying anything against seeking mental health help if you haven't done it, but i did it for a long time and it honestly didn't get me very far because my problems weren't clinical. they were material and personality based, and those things CAN be changed with the right attitude and a bit of concerted effort. people who work in mental health have a limited remit, they can't address the actual reasons you are in the situation you are in many cases because they can't actually do anything about them. so they give you CBT therapy, maybe put you on some antidepressants - these are the tools they have, but they might be useless to you.

On point imo.

A lot of people who are depressed probably don't have a bonafide brain problem. It's just that modern life/society sucks major rear end so they are depressed. Mental health professionals are indeed very limited in their usefulness in a situation like that. They can't make modern life/society not suck rear end.

So yeah all they got is CBT and some meds, but all the good treatments are already available to the public! Like alcohol/weed, anime, and CBT.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Butcher posted:

even lovely existence is better than nonexistence.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but this line sucks and people should stop with it.

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. It feels dismissive to the person it's spoken to. It's like listening to someone vent about their lovely dead end job, and then your response is "hey, at least you have a job!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If only this thread had happened one week earlier. Then my more respectable Ronin Cheems avatar wouldn't have sullied the thread's legitimacy.

I'm sorry, OP!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gentlemen this is the depression thread, not the anger thread!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

CBT isn't the only type of therapy. Good loving Christ I am sick of hearing this "CBT and meds don't work for everyone" dogshit because it shows a deep lack of understanding of what therapy is and does.

Sorry I know that. But I placed that knowledge in lower priority than making a joke about there being two kinds of CBT. I admit my crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Buce posted:

people are going to take this seriously, but it’s what’s known as a joke

If the cave people were depressed I think they would have written about it on the cave walls.