Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Yesterday I got upgraded from regular generalized anxiety and depression to bipolar depression.

*gasp* Nooo, really?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

kntfkr posted:

i was feeling down and put upon this morning but then i went to the judgement free zone and listened to the yellowjackets theme on repeat and now i feel better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejbCGfJJh8

can't argue with the power of exercise and cathartic music

no return no return no reason

I mean that lady doesn't LOOK happy

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Jealous, bitch? :smug:

No, I'm glad they're fixin you up and am happy for you actually :)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Turn that frown upside down, OP!

No I'm serious lay on the edge of the bed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

roomtone posted:

this might piss people but but i'm really sceptical that a lot of what people talk about as depression is anything more than a functional response to a life that has become lovely, combined with a bit of peer pressure to acknowledge the world is hosed up.

there's so much talk about mental health nowadays that i think it's the first thing people turn to in order to explain what's wrong with their lives, partly because a lot of the times the problems are so complex and intractable due to their economic roots, but also because i think it takes a bit of responsibility off you to personally do anything about it. i did it myself for a long time and it's only when i changed my perspective on this stuff that i've felt better.

but it's a process i went through - had to realise that yeah, capitalist society has played a role in isolating me like this, i'm not broken for finding work extremely draining. then had to realise that these things don't mean i get a prize for having the worst possible reaction to them by only seeking escapist means to feel better. i wasn't depressed at all, i had learned helpnessness about my life and was using a bunch of excuses - capitalism, alcoholism and 'maybe i'm depressed?' - to justify it and continue seeking low quality kicks where ever i could without actually having to try.

i'm not saying anything against seeking mental health help if you haven't done it, but i did it for a long time and it honestly didn't get me very far because my problems weren't clinical. they were material and personality based, and those things CAN be changed with the right attitude and a bit of concerted effort. people who work in mental health have a limited remit, they can't address the complex social reasons you are in the situation you are in many cases because they can't actually do anything about them. so they give you CBT therapy, maybe put you on some antidepressants - these are the tools they have, but they might be useless to you if you think of them as medicine.

if you have a real mental illness, then okay, but i'm not talking about that and i think inside, you know if you are kind of bullshitting it for the reasons i've alluded to. i know some people on here have serious mental illnesses and i'm not talking to everybody with this.

i'm also not saying people aren't legitmately unhappy, but i am saying that 'the world sucks!! life sucks and can't be improved!!' is a cultural meme right now and i don't think that it's always an actual mental health issue, it's something that is happening on a social scale. still a real problem, but as far as improving your own life goes, not the same thing at all.

precision you have some specific complaints about being lonely and you seem more pissed off about your life situation than depressed about it to me. i think you would feel much better if you started identifying some small things you could do to make benchmarked progress. they don't have to be big or come straight at the loneliness thing but as soon as you start doing things and see any kind of positive result, you'll probably feel differently. not fixed, maybe, but in a different mental space where the available moves will feel different and may include things you have not considered at all so far.

Well that's because you're stupid

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

roomtone posted:

i think i am dumb for continuing to post things like this in GBS yeah, and i'm going to try to stop doing that because i inevitably get stuff like this in return. usually i don't respond to it because what's the point, but this is something i've thought a lot about and if you actually think the points are stupid - which i doubt, because i post so many words people just don't read it and laugh - then i'd be interested to hear what part i am getting wrong.

No you're dumb because you post stupid poo poo that has no verifiable background to it other than how you feel about it and then get butthurt when you get laughed at for being a loving moron. What's worse is that you're actively hurting others by posting poo poo that might drive them away from resources that could help them instead of your crackpot lunacy. Stop literally hurting others with how stupid you are.

So, yeah. gently caress on off.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

roomtone posted:

i'm not just pulling this stuff from my own head - there are some books i read over the past year. the origins of unhappiness by david smail is where i'm getting a lot of the stuff in my post. he's a clinical psychologist. then also books about addiction like chasing the scream and the urge by carl erik fisher which aren't what this is about but inform my thinking in terms of learned helpnessness, how environment conditions you and how you can overcome ingrained habits. that's combined with a lot of my own personal experience of dealing with this stuff and engaging with the mental health services and support groups.

i also didn't say don't try to get help, i always try and remember to say try these things if you haven't because i might be wrong and i know not everybody is subclinical but i've trawled the internet for help so many times and found a lot of either casual 'seek this number for help' posts, which were already complained about by precision, and a lot of circlejerking stuff about how rough it is which did nothing except make me feel worse. you say i might be driving people away from getting help, i'm saying sometimes people try these things, don't get what they need, and get worse, so why not consider a different approach to it.

you've succeeded in making me wonder if i'm acting like a crackpot here, which is probably a good thing, because this isn't just important to me as a problem but something i am actually dealing with myself which i don't think you're getting - i'm inside of this problem, my life is and has been hosed up by all of this, and all of the things people say you need to do have not worked. so i come back and say well i've found some stuff which is helping me make more progress, maybe this will help you - and i get this 'how loving dare you, idiot child' response.

Let me ask you a question in response;

If you're wondering if you're subclinical, and are reading those books as a result, and have tried 'trawling the internet many times', resulting in finding amateur advice from others who did not work for you - why are you offering amateur advice to others trawling the internet?

I'd encourage any and everyone to seek out professional and well-grounded means of support that can help guide them. Be cool folks.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

nom epique posted:

You’re a weird and rude poster OP

good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just remember, our brains love us and want us to be happy.

It's why they naturally shy away from introspective and potentially shameful things like: therapy or addiction counseling.
It's why when they're depressed or anxious, they know what to do best to care for themselves, which is perpetuate that behavior as a way to make sure they stay safely ensconced in your skull tent.
It's why, if you're an addict, they'll tell you that actually you can lie and no one will know OR be mad, and really they probably want or expect you to keep using anyway, so it's ok to give your brain what it wants.

So stop making a big deal about it you silly bastards your brains are designed by The Lord to naturally act in their and your best interests. If they weren't why would the Jews keep building those illegal bases under the ice to keep cranking out more and more of the pre-microchipped crack babies they're flooding the streets with? Without our healthy minds to protect us, we'd never see things like that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

good news: we are all in it together

bad news: we all have depression

Always have.
People just didn't understand that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Depression is pretty much unheard of in hunter gatherer societies. It seems like civilization is the problem and so the solution is that we should all go out and poison the water s of our discontent. With medication.

I'm glad that hunter gatherer societies frequently have professionally trained individuals amongst them able to properly diagnose and report those statistics which sounds 100% accurate without me checking or hearing any of what the millions of qualifications to that statement would surely have to be

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pixaal posted:

I get pretty bad depression in the winter. I cope with it. Often watching reruns to avoid sleeping 14+ hours a day, that only prolongs how many months the depression lasted for me, and also made me stiff and feel like more poo poo.

Keeping a proper bed time and forcing myself to stay awake even if it was watching SG-1 yet again. Richard Dean Anderson ask Baal if his name is as in bocce again. :allears: Just find something to pull you out. I've oddly found bottom barrel ad supported phone games where you are more watching ads than playing help. They keep me distracted enough without requiring much input and I can just kinda idle and burn time until I work it out.

But this is a seasonal depression if you suffer from the more year round type I'm not sure it will help, but maybe. Don't pay for the lovely phone games, that's a rabbit hole of being bored by them and broke.

There are multiple, accessible fixes to avoid....ALL of this with almost no effort on your part, no lifestyle changes, etc. All of this can go away.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

What an abso loving lutely stupid thing to say

No, no, it's true I've known probably one fat person in my life and I told them exactly why they shouldn't be depressed every single time I saw them and made sure everyone else did too and they never got the hint because of how stupid fat people are.

Well you can lead a fat to the buffet as they say am I right ha ha ha

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

do you really think goons are not familiar with depression

yeah no poo poo generic depression advice doesn't work on whatever the gently caress this is, it also won't cure pneumonia. talk someone who's like physically in your area into dragging you kicking and screaming to a headshrinker

Welcome to Catastrophe-posting

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Strumpie posted:

i forced myself to go out at 4am everyday for two years and taught myself to rollerblade inline skate.

dreams are possible, skate baord your way out of depression! i did it, so can you! :skateboard:

I mean that part really does kinda suck though.

The "I did it you should be able to, too" thing.
I think you're just loving around but the people who do think "actually just go lift brah" are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wrap him in tinfoil and stick his dick in a shopvac he's the million dollar man now too advanced for sadness and you are the professor behind this unholy creation God bless