Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

going to offer a second opinion that that wall of words was the product of a dumb mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's in it for me to debate you instead of make fun of you, you're either a fifteen-year-old or think like one

if you want more serious engagement you gotta at least throw in an account upgrade here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OP I want you to look at the people in this thread. Look at how serious they're being. A bunch of middle-aged dads posting in the middle of the workday about whether life is meaningless, and they all have avatars like this

and name themselves after 20-year-old internet memes. you're going through some gnarly neurochemical poo poo right now and there's nothing anyone can say that's gonna change that quickly but internalize that this is the world your brain is telling you is a horrible tragedy. there's probably real bad poo poo going on in your life too but life isn't objectively awful, you've just got a thing in your brain that makes you see the screaming neighbor and bad social life and not the ways out of that or the very serious army of anime philosophers trying to heal you with the power of their weed thoughts

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 12, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dsf posted:

i love advice like "just get some friends" lmao bro im in my 30s. why dont I just go to the FRIEND STORE where all the cool friends hang out just itching to spend their valuable time with weird terminally single losers who have strong opinions about pc games and capitalism

if you strike the 'cool' from that sentence that's basically every makerspace I've ever been to. i feel like the bigger barrier for the average goon is other lonely nerds potentially having the wrong strong opinion about PC games tho

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 13, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Catastrophe posted:

Pet peeve: All of the people not suffering from actual clinical depression with their easy-mode wisdom about how to simply get over depression. In my experience, they also tend to get annoyed when the simple things that work for them in order to be happy don't just automatically work for a severely depressed person.

With my family, I've received the advice of "just go outside and do something fun!" over and over and over and over for years. I explain that I want to but can't. Can't. CAN'T. They don't understand. To them, if they are bummed and bored, they just stand up and go for a drive and go shopping and hang out with friends and acquaintances. I try to tell them that just the IDEA of walking outside causes enough panic in me to cause me to vomit which means actually going out is absolutely out of the question. But they still insist "just go drive to a park and have a fun picnic!" ......... fuuuuuuuuck. If just reading those words causes me to puke from stress, I CANNOT GO DO IT. Can't! Not avoiding it because I don't want to. CAN'T.

Trying to convey mental illness to those unwilling to try to understand is infuriating and pointless.

do you really think goons are not familiar with depression

yeah no poo poo generic depression advice doesn't work on whatever the gently caress this is, it also won't cure pneumonia. talk someone who's like physically in your area into dragging you kicking and screaming to a headshrinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tfw you tell everyone ur depressed, so they give you their depression home remedies, but none of that makes the demons stop talking...