Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Gonna need some more info about the worst place in the universe? Like, are you in the core of a dying sun? Or just Sandusky?

Also seconding this:

EmbryoSteve posted:

also if you or anyone you know is considering suicide please reach out for help. Depressive thoughts and hopelessness can mislead us to thinking we dont matter to others or that we cannot escape our despair. You are valued OP and anyone reading this even if you don't believe it. Also check out mental health resources available to you. If you are on medicaid a lot of these resources can be free!

Get help today if you are suicidal: 800-273-8255

Also just a good talk about suicide:

https://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_briggs_the_bridge_between_suicide_and_life?language=en#t-830649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

precision posted:

and of course that's the worst part of all

you get super depressed and you're like, ALL RIGHT buddy, i'm gonna LET PEOPE KNOW. i'm gonna blow some minds with how utterly, completely hopeless my life has become

but that never works! it literally never helps! because all people see is a depressed, unfun MESS and of COURSE nobody wants to be friends with THAT

so even people who MEAN WELL see what you're saying, and they just go "YIKES"

so in conclusion, all i'm doing is making it worse

lmao

So here's something to do, then, and this is the last bit of real advice I'll throw out. Take stock of things that maybe *used* to make you happy and start looking around for places to do those things with other people. If you want real life friends, you gotta be around real life people first. And if you do discover some places and people to hang out with, then don't drop all your Tales of Depression on them at once. Focus on the moment and what's making you happy and maybe focus on them instead of yourself, as a distraction.

To tackle your own depression, and this is just anecdotal but it's kept me alive through some pretty dark times, maybe make a list of everything that you think has made your life utterly hopeless. Like, grab a pen and paper and actually write out a list. Feeling like "EVERYTHING" makes life lovely is different once you break down "EVERYTHING" into its components and can look at them. Then maybe you can figure out which things are easiest to tackle first, and which ones are gonna take a shitload of work. But at least it's a starting point.

Depression is a ruthless fucker and make no mistake, Depression wants you dead. But Depression is not in control by default. YOU are. And even though it's really hard, you absolutely have the ability to tell Depression to gently caress right off.