Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

This society, and Capitalism at large, is a festering petri dish for mental illness. The symptoms are treated, and not the cause. This of course is exacerbated by legitimate chemical imbalance stuff and other mental health issues that are not induced by the system you are trapped in unless you're obscenely wealthy. But the mental illness stuff that would be present outside this system, within this system, is heavily stigmatized because you are expected to be Rugged Individualist who Copes and Does What They Have To.

Therapy and drugs are often just trying to help you cope with the nightmare of living in this poo poo. The only advice and direction you can take is personally doing things for yourself so your material situation/where you put your mental focus isn't into how awful things are. So, escapism.

It's an ongoing almost impossible to wrap your head around tragedy and distraction/throwing yourself into something you really enjoy doing personally is the only real thing to do. This is by design, so that people stay as atomized as possible, because people coming together is the biggest threat to the ghoulish, entrenched people that run this shitshow, while you are always told that you are wrong for even bringing up how abominable it all is. You're not wrong. Realizing this is not a cure for depression or these feelings, but to help the understanding of yourself that everyone else is pretending or they have a vested emotional and mental interest in this because almost no one is willing to admit every lie they've been told and swallowed, are indeed lies. Because if you're not just a consumer, if buying this and following these Official Approved Steps to "Pursue Happiness" (completely meaningless in the context of modern society) then your entire existence is rendered invalid.

I personally believe in everyone's right to self-determination in terms of the course of their own life, including it's end. And this is coming from a child of a father who suicide'd when I was just old enough to take in the realization of it, and grandfather who suicide'd when my father was a teenager.

Find some joy where you can, enjoyment can be found even if you fully acknowledge the reality of all this. I think, at least for me personally, it becomes easier once you realize all this horrific poo poo was locked in before you were even born.

That said, don't kill yourself, get therapy, etc, I don't condone anyone killing themselves, etc etc etc.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU