Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

here's what i don't really get

people are always like "you're not allowed to want to quit living, no matter how stupid and bad your life has become

You are allowed, and that's kind of a cool thing, to know you have the option.

But it's not a good one, since it's one way. Unless it gets really, really bad, even lovely existence is better than nonexistence.

Tomorrow is always a new day. Platitudes! But serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

Eh, I often get empty encouragement sentences suggesting that I can simply make tomorrow a better day.

No, YOU can. I can't. I've tried for years and things only got much, much worse. YOU can make your tomorrow a better day, Lazy Inspirational Person. I'm not you.

("you" in the royal sense. Not you you.)

Little bites. Just one thing a day. Again, empty bullshit. But worth a shot.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If our instincts didn't force us to avoid pain and favour life over death we'd all kill ourselves when we had our first tantrum at like 2 years old.

You ever interacted with a 2 year old?

It's non stop suicide attempts. They don't even realize it, it's a subconscious drive.

That's why we have to watch them all the time to prevent them self terminating until they get smart enough to fear death.

That, uh, takes awhile.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Meme Poker Party posted:

If the cave people were depressed I think they would have written about it on the cave walls.

I saw a dope documentary on this recently and it's pretty much all "look at these cool animals we hunt and have a spiritual connection with", "check out this babe with booty for days" and "lol, penis".

Not a single sad face emoji in sight.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

Yes, I really think that many here are not familiar with actual, actual, actual depression. Actual depression. Not "I feel sad sometimes" bullshit. Actual clinical depression. Yes, I 100% believe way too many feel they understand because they felt sad once. That's cemented in place by the BS advice I've received from people here over the years.

I think you may be disregarding the experiences of others too strongly.

You are obviously deep, deep in the loving pit, but yours is not the One True Depression.

Just know you aren't the only one in the world that feels the way you do. Some of the advice might help. And some is useless platitudes. But when you start thinking "I am the only one who feels this way, and nobody can understand" kind of stuff, it's just digging in deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Shankel Magnus posted:

Don’t know how to play guitar? gently caress it, neither does any other Black Metal band. You can join my band and we can write songs about how Lowtax’s corpse is being devoured by fetuses.

:devil::black101::black101::devil:

I'm actually somewhat sold on this.

I don't care to scream and thrash about the dead bad forums admin, but this seems like a decent philosophy.

Make a lot of noise about silly over the top grim poo poo and rock the gently caress out?

It could work. My dad has an electric he got too old to play...