Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Schnitzler posted:

Yeah true, the grind does keep players active. I think grinding for cosmetics/titles/other superficial stuff is the best compromise. Provides goals to play towards without impacting the gameplay of people who play less/in different game modes.

They've already got a season pass up with 4 DLCs (presumably one every 3 months) so free cosmetics do not appear to be in the cards, but if the game is a big hit who knows?

One thing their game director said is that all of the objective stuff is done server-side, so they can very easily make new game modes or try stuff. They could make a game where instead of finding a map you retrieve the Necronomicon, bring it back to a certain location, then defend it (for instance).

I definitely do not want a Battle Pass or anything like that. I like playing games more casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Developers forgot to upload the PS4 versions trophies so now I get a lovely error everytime.

At least I managed to win a game as Kelly and as Necromancer.

The demon win didn't feel earned, not sure how I overwhelmed the survivors and managed to destroy the book at the end.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One thing their game director said is that all of the objective stuff is done server-side, so they can very easily make new game modes or try stuff. They could make a game where instead of finding a map you retrieve the Necronomicon, bring it back to a certain location, then defend it (for instance).

This is nice to hear, I really don't care about stuff like cosmetics personally, but it is popular with a lot of people. But if they plan on adding maps, game modes, new survivors, and new demons then I gladly pay for that.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is this game better on PS4, PS5, or computer?

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is this game better on PS4, PS5, or computer?

I got it on PC, had no technical issues so far. It has full crossplay so you can group freely with everyone else regardless of plattform, which is great. Input wise I use mouse and keyboard which feels good. I've seen people play with controller in streams without issue as well, but there is a lot of shooting so if you prefer mouse and keyboard for shooters PC might be better for you.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I think I would prefer it on PC, kinda annoyed I'll need to download the epic launcher though :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Be warned that the pc options are bare bones (I would say "inadequate" actually).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Medullah posted:

I get this mentality, DBD has it too, but man...give people 1/10th the XP or something. In DBD there's no motivation for 5 of us to play other than for the sake of playing, every match you play is pointless for progression. Though I don't know what the grind is like for ED yet.

Grind for Evil Dead, that is, not Erectile Dysfunction. Sadly I'm fully aware of that one.

Every survivor has skills that unlock up to level 25 and demon up to level 45. There is a huge talent tree of perks for each and you get a point for every level. Early on, a win is about 1 level worth of experience and a loss is half a level. When you get to the 20/30s, a win is slightly less than a level.

You also have a profile level and get profile xp (called spirit points) that you can add as xp to any survivor or demon.

A level 45 demon or 25 survivor is massively stronger than a level 1. A level 45 demon will absolutely wipe the floor with a low level team of survivors even if they are very good. Some of the perks you get give substantial power increases.

On the flip side, a team of high level survivors will completely clown on a demon even a high level one. A high level Cheryl or Evil Dead 2 Ash will keep the group alive through just about anything you throw at them. Having both of them on a team and the game gets really unfun for the demon. You have to hope they do something really stupid or don't get enough supplies and you eventually wear them down and win with a few seconds left. A good/high level Pablo is similarly overpowered and can split objectives almost the entire game, sneak in and grab everyone to rez, etc.

Balance in the game just isn't in a great place at all. It feels awful to play as a team of low level survivors against a skilled and high level demon. You do not stand a chance. It feels awful to play against a high level team of survivors as the demon because nothing you do really sticks.

If I could make a few main suggestions to the devs about 2 years ago when they could have done something about it, those suggestions would be:

1) Survivors perks they earn within a match should not be earned through Pink F or at least not solely. They should mainly be earned in match perks through experience from exploring/completing objectives/killing demons. OR, if one survivor picks up a Pink F, everyone on the team should get a point, they shouldnt' have to run to the box with the Pink F in it.

2) Demon should gain less in-match experience for just passively doing things with no survivor around (setting traps where they start) and significantly more experience directly impacting survivors. Start the demon with a few points.

3) Animation canceling shouldn't be a thing. The difference in combat effectiveness between animation cancelling and not as a survivor is massive. Balance accordingly.

4) Supports as designed today are miserable for the demon but are mandatory to do well because the healing without them is awful. Multiple supports often mean a nearly impossible game for the demon.

5) Too much RNG for the survivors on whether they will do well or not. Maybe not have different weapon qualities or something that makes the looting phase much shorter.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think I understand Mission 5. Completely at random the black fog that otherwise marks out of bounds for the scripted fights will engulf everything and then I just kind of die with no recourse

The black fog moves in two ways: First, several objectives put you into a combat timer where you have to kill everything. The map in this case will have a little circle around your area swallowed by red (the black fog). Stay in the circle until you've killed all the evil units and the fog will dissipate and the map will open again.

After you get the Excalibur the mist will start to move in like a Battle Royale. You need to hightail it to the next objective.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
This game is out on consoles! How is the controller support so incredibly loving bad! It makes no sense! It's literally fuckin' unplayable. Cant even get through the menus to start the tutorial it's so bad.

Guess I'm doing keyboard and mouse...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I really wish that more players would go for at least one round as a demon, it's really educational. I get that most people want to play the loot and shooter, but things like "don't jump in the first car you see" or "if the Demon is frequently possessing things then you actually have to keep your fear down because you light up like a christmas tree" are conveyed pretty fast just by playing one match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, it also gets across just how pressed for energy a low level demon is at the beginning if he wants to pull even basic stunts. He can't even summon monsters, best he's probably got are scare traps and hoping you walk into them

Which he doesn't have to connect with many times before he can go after you for real, but yeah

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 17, 2022

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

I really wish that more players would go for at least one round as a demon, it's really educational. I get that most people want to play the loot and shooter, but things like "don't jump in the first car you see" or "if the Demon is frequently possessing things then you actually have to keep your fear down because you light up like a christmas tree" are conveyed pretty fast just by playing one match.

Absolutely true. "Don't get into a car until you made contact" and "do not shoot your gun until you make contact" would instantly improve the game for so many groups. I think the opposite is also true, playing a few games as survivor gives you a much better idea where the chest locations are, which really helps a demons early leveling. For example, Derelict Doll Factory and Terminal Station are both areas that usually contain 2+ chests in easily locatable locations, that's an instant 400+ xp.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 17, 2022

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012
I do wish there was a little more feedback on what your opponents did damage wise and the source, or their talent tree spec, at the end of a match. As my demon runs see. To be absolutely feast or famin, i'd love to know what made thr better teams so much better. One group last night could cut my bosses down in about 5 seconds. It left me a little dumb founded as it was the best i had, what can i bring to bare after that?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, it also gets across just how pressed for energy a low level demon is at the beginning if he wants to pull even basic stunts. He can't even summon monsters, best he's probably got are scare traps and hoping you walk into them

Which he doesn't have to connect with many times before he can go after you for real, but yeah

Or even where the traps are in general. Doorways and footpaths, people. You might not be able to get around the doorway traps but if you walk a few steps off the paths then you'll be fine.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Comfortador posted:

Bummer. Am I remember wrong that F13 gave experience in private matches?

Heavily reduced XP but yes

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Demon needs to be able to see how much Pink F each player has picked up and what rarity their loot is, simply for planning and tactics. Had a Demon that was obsessed with worrying Hunter Ash and was ignoring the Henry the Red with a Legendary Sword and 15 Pink F upgrades. Dude was housing everything and had 40k damage at the end of the game, but the Demon managed to knock Hunter Ash down 5 times! They clearly didn't realize who the real threat was (because it's usually Support and then Hunter Ash).

Edit: I'm not going to mark this as a spoiler because the game literally lists one of the actors as "Baal" in the credits, so we're absolutely getting a 4th Demon.

There's additional skin and weapon leaks as well if you're into that kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/LeaksOfSumeria

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 17, 2022

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
By far my favorite dick move so far is catching the survivors all piled into a car, throwing down portals and then taking the car from em, full speed backwards leaning on the horn. Have fun with the skeletons boys!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HebrewMagic posted:

By far my favorite dick move so far is catching the survivors all piled into a car, throwing down portals and then taking the car from em, full speed backwards leaning on the horn. Have fun with the skeletons boys!

Dickhead Demons are extremely cool and fun. We fought one that was an absolute monster at Possession, he would regularly take people off cliffs and off bridges to separate us. Really made me appreciate that skill more, Demons usually use it to just blast other Survivors but not this guy! Clever.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dickhead Demons are extremely cool and fun. We fought one that was an absolute monster at Possession, he would regularly take people off cliffs and off bridges to separate us. Really made me appreciate that skill more, Demons usually use it to just blast other Survivors but not this guy! Clever.
A personal fave is running someone up to the second story of a building and leaving the first floor stacked with proximity-trigger portals (in addition to primed traps at the exits). It's a surprise party, c'mon down!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I really wish the car possession was more fun. There should be a bowling pin effect when you ram into people but it kind of just stops on a dime when you bump into anyone. The energy drain rate is also *absurd*.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I really wish the car possession was more fun. There should be a bowling pin effect when you ram into people but it kind of just stops on a dime when you bump into anyone. The energy drain rate is also *absurd*.
Give me an option to fling all the doors and trunk and hood open to scare survivors like possessing a tree. Give me this thing.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Yeah imo "kill each other" is my last choice during possession. I wanna drag em out into the middle of nowhere, get em lost, waste time and supplies, etc.

Also the dude up thread saying killer queue is 10+ minutes I've actually had no issues, ESPECIALLY compared to DBD where I can get up and make a meal between matches. I know "works for me" is less than helpful, but y'know

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

I heard from Beta testers that even very late in development cars were in *rough* shape and made huge leaps from the Beta until now. So hopefully they can keep improving them.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Give me an option to fling all the doors and trunk and hood open to scare survivors like possessing a tree. Give me this thing.

Hell yes.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I've started seeing more and more people abuse animation canceling not only to attack faster, but also move a lot faster too. It's getting pretty annoying since if there's just one of them left on an objective, they can give you the run-around forever until the objective time runs out and just use dodge iframes to escape whenever you manage to get close.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HebrewMagic posted:

Yeah imo "kill each other" is my last choice during possession. I wanna drag em out into the middle of nowhere, get em lost, waste time and supplies, etc.

Also the dude up thread saying killer queue is 10+ minutes I've actually had no issues, ESPECIALLY compared to DBD where I can get up and make a meal between matches. I know "works for me" is less than helpful, but y'know

I think my killer queues are shorter than my survivor queues most of the time.

DbD killer queues, don't even know about that one though. I don't think I've had a killer queue last more than one minute in DBD in like a year.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sailor Dave posted:

I've started seeing more and more people abuse animation canceling not only to attack faster, but also move a lot faster too. It's getting pretty annoying since if there's just one of them left on an objective, they can give you the run-around forever until the objective time runs out and just use dodge iframes to escape whenever you manage to get close.

You really should submit that here:

https://feedback.saber.games/evildeadthegame

This is their official feedback site. If you have Youtube video and can link it that would be helpful to them. The one time I got feedback from a developer that's what I did, ymmv of course.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

That or trap it so when the first person gets in it rockets off into the distance with the poor survivor along for the ride.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

FoiledShenanigans posted:

That or trap it so when the first person gets in it rockets off into the distance with the poor survivor along for the ride.
Yes! Yes!!

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Confirming that private matches do give XP and spirit points, though I don't know how it compares to a regular match as I only tried it briefly with one survivor and demon:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That is like a 1/3 less XP or something.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

It's less than that. A normal match is 2000 for a finish and 3500 for a win. It looks like they only played against 1 person though so that might make a difference.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Who do y’all find to be the best “keep the team alive” character? I’ve pretty much just been playing Vs Ash and his heal on heavy attack seems pretty powerful. Especially if I get a fast swinging legendary like the knife, I can absolutely poo poo out heals and the fear wipe is super handy too. The radius on both isn’t great so it does rely on me having my team stand on top of each other for the timed events in particular.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Had a game as survivor where the killer possessed a car, I dodged it and the car managed to wedge me inescapably between a tree and the car. After a minute or so I guess the killer noticed, came all the way over and knocked the tree down so I could leave. I'm not prepared for players being nice in a game like this

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

DeathChicken posted:

Had a game as survivor where the killer possessed a car, I dodged it and the car managed to wedge me inescapably between a tree and the car. After a minute or so I guess the killer noticed, came all the way over and knocked the tree down so I could leave. I'm not prepared for players being nice in a game like this
I've had a game as demon where there was clearly a brand new baby survivor who was lost and didn't know what to do. I drove a car over to them and honked and unpossessed it.

I do not think they took it as the kind gesture it was meant to be.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Is there really no way to adjust the FOV? My character takes up a significant portion of the screen...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

hello internet posted:

Is there really no way to adjust the FOV? My character takes up a significant portion of the screen...

Not yet but use that feedback link I posted earlier. Complain at 'em!

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I had a game right now where I was chasing the survivors towards the end. Saw that they were in the long tunnel and thought they are trying to gather some resources before the end fight, so I charged in. Came up to them, saw them in a car standing sideways in the tunnel. Blew all my portals, possessed a unit, I was ready to throw down. Then I realized: they had wedged the car in a spot where it completely blocks passage. Even if I had not just blown all me energy and had enough to possess the car, I don't think I could have dislodged it before they got away. I am still impressed by that move. Cars really lead to great moments in this game.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Not yet but use that feedback link I posted earlier. Complain at 'em!

I left feedback. I'm playing on 3440x1440 so I'm not sure if it's an ultrawide thing or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

I watch a lot of moonmoon on twitch and he spends a ton of time being a dickhead demon

https://clips.twitch.tv/GiftedBlindingCroquetteOSsloth-FZ9R5je8YPU4Zrzk

The other day I watched him park four cars on top of a downed person