Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
This game tickles my optimization bone, so prepare for a demon theory post.
I keep playing around with demon in the starting phase, trying to get threat up quickly/find survivors quickly. So this is what I found, sorry if this is old news/wrong but I haven't seen this elsewhere.

-a trap gives you 20xp.
-gathering an infernal orb gives you 12xp.
-spawning an elite portal gives you 50xp.
-spawning a basic/elite unit gives you 30xp according to the tooltip that pops up, but actually gives you 60xp -> this is not intentional I believe because spawning a basic proximity trap gives you 30xp, as the tooltip states.
-placing a chest trap gives you 100xp.

Main goal at the start is to find survivors and get as much xp during the search as possible. Most people I've watched do this by cruising through named locations, putting traps down (20xp a pop), then moving on to the next.
Chests are trapped as well, but not aggressively looked for.
I think the better way is to actively search for chests (100xp a pop) at every named location, using traps only as a way to keep your infernal energy from capping.
This is important because every infernal orb gives you 12xp, so you want to pick up every orb on your way between named areas.
As you gain levels, put a point into basic portal as soon as possible. This is now your new energy dump, place a basic portal on cooldown. This gives you a) 60xp a pop b) gets your energy down so you can gather more inferno orbs.
Should you gather energy so quickly that you cap with basic portal on cooldown, put another point into elite portal and use it to dump energy as well.
Keep checking named areas until you get a bead on the survivors, then head straight for them to start harassment. At this point, stop dumping energy of course.

This approach should get you across the map at about the same pace as the traping focused on since you don't need to start-stop only at chests instead of at every trap.
It should also level you up quicker since:
- you dont lose xp due energy capping in transit
- a chest gives you the same amount of xp as setting 5 traps, and by checking obvious chest places at every location finding chests should be quicker than placing the equivalent amount of traps
- your energy dump portals nets you an additional hefty amount of xp

I believe this is the way to go, as long as I didn't miss something.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lol, if the survivors are doing two objectives at a time and manage to get one off (which they will if you're lower leveled and learning, whoops me) it'll exorcise you, fine, whatever.

The other one, after you spawn, will exorcise you when you're like 700m away too. So they get a huge, huuuuuge amount of time when you can't do anything. That sucked.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
If the demon possesses a survivor and spins the camera wildly around does the player see that? Moonmoon renamed his epic store name to Epilepsy-Warning just in case.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

hello internet posted:

Is there really no way to adjust the FOV? My character takes up a significant portion of the screen...

Overall my biggest complaint is general visibility. With the low light levels, amount of environmental detail, low fov, and the size of your player character, it feels really hard to see enemies at all (and don't get me started on how easy it is to run right past a Shemp's or amulet)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Had the most harrowing Warlord win yet, against The Cheryl and That Ash. I won because I got lucky: They took too long getting the book and dagger together, and I was able to steal vehicles and gently caress around with them enough that two of them died to the fog before they could get to the Dark Ones. From there it was just a case of focusing one at a time with boss summon and taking it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel like my boss units die way the hell too quickly even when I've already given them the first track powerups

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Man playing demon is a lot harder than moonmoon makes it look. I really struggle to keep the pressure up while survivors seem to effortlessly defeat my spawns

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Moon's build seems to be built around having extremely high power basic summons, so he can just immediately jump in and start murdering at level 3, and then just never stop once he's found people to attack, and they won't have powered up enough to be able to do anything about it, especially if they don't kill the flautist. Of course the one time he fought a good team before being level 45 he got crushed trying to do that, low level demons/heroes are just awful.

I've been playing puppeteer and I feel like once I finally get to Kandarian fury it's going to be similarly unfair to play against, Eligos is very good at long hit and run fights and getting to 100%+ extra damage doesn't seem very improbable.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
It makes sense to invest in basic units and posession, after all they're available to you for the whole game and they spawn on their own!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's honestly kind of funny how much of a gulf there is between the enemy AI and a minion you're possessing. Like you can watch survivors in real time mowing through skeletons, you grab one yourself and suddenly they lose an entire healthbar to mashing light attack

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Missed opportunity to not have voice lines playing off each other. Would've love to hear Ash react to an entire team full of Ashs, or maybe have some Cheryl banter, or Pablo jokes. Could've also used actual movies so everyone doesn't sound like old Bruce. Been playing El Jefe and Ash ED2, and .. it's great. Quick tips: you can become completely immune to fear very easily through talents and Pink F w/ El Jefe. 100% immune. With Hunters, work on x1 light attack -> shoot. It's enough to stun to get in a ranged attack every time.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Basic units is the way to go with warlord too, especially possesing them because puke will take away dodge and sprint when you put the points in the skill tree. Getting henrietta out by the time they are getting the 2 objectives(even better if you manage to do it while they are getting map pieces) will absolutely decimate. Of course this will entail seeking out the survivors. but yeah im going to named places like the doll factory or treatment place to trap chests and such so i can keep getting threat fast.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Get in the circle and stop running around for items, survivors trying to get an item" :respek: "Get in the circle and fight, Warlord summons who take ten steps back after a hit"

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

hello internet posted:

I left feedback. I'm playing on 3440x1440 so I'm not sure if it's an ultrawide thing or not

There's a bug with ultrawide FOV.

Go open the engine.ini file and add this to it. It doesn't fix everything but does help quite a bit.

quote:

[/script/engine.localplayer]

AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

I recommend these changes to gameusersettings.ini as well to just make the game less jarring on ultrawide:

quote:

[SystemSettings]
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0

hello internet posted:

Man playing demon is a lot harder than moonmoon makes it look. I really struggle to keep the pressure up while survivors seem to effortlessly defeat my spawns

As mentioned above, it is completely a level thing. Demons get disgustingly powerful as you level to the point where it feels unfair to play against anyone but a super stacked group. I have a fully leveled necro and the difference between Evil Ash with talents and no talents is comical. With no talents, he dies easily and poses no real threat. With talents, he's an unstoppable murder machine that overwhelms the enemy team with minions and prevents supports from healing. I went from winning during dark one/necronomicon fights at low level to kill most groups at the first or second objective.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 18, 2022

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I definitely need to get friends into this cuz last night was me and one friend with two randoms and we would just watch almost helplessly as they'd get loving mulched lightning quick. We'd pick them up and then watch as they run in random directions away from objectives or even fellow survivors. I guess someone's gotta be too dumb to live if it's a horror movie...

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah it's one of those games where you PUG and get people that instantly get into cars and shoot. Then you go play demon and you go against a squad that plays like ninjas, happens to get the dagger and pages next to each other, finds legendary gear, and have a million healing items.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Been doing missions (well, the first mission, which I finally beat) and playing solo survivor to get a hang on things (although I still haven't beaten that, only gotten to the very last step before my AI teammates all eat it) and I think I've basically got enough of a grasp of stuff to play my first actual multiplayer game tonight, lol. Looking forward to that, gonna get to spend some time as a demon seeing how things work from that side of things.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Lawlicaust posted:

Go open the engine.ini file and add this to it. It doesn't fix everything but does help quite a bit.

I recommend these changes to gameusersettings.ini as well to just make the game less jarring on ultrawide:

As mentioned above, it is completely a level thing. Demons get disgustingly powerful as you level to the point where it feels unfair to play against anyone but a super stacked group. I have a fully leveled necro and the difference between Evil Ash with talents and no talents is comical. With no talents, he dies easily and poses no real threat. With talents, he's an unstoppable murder machine that overwhelms the enemy team with minions and prevents supports from healing. I went from winning during dark one/necronomicon fights at low level to kill most groups at the first or second objective.

I just tried out these .ini changes real quick and I think it really helped. Thanks!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Diephoon posted:

Yeah it's one of those games where you PUG and get people that instantly get into cars and shoot. Then you go play demon and you go against a squad that plays like ninjas, happens to get the dagger and pages next to each other, finds legendary gear, and have a million healing items.

Ran into this today. It would've been my first loss since playing as a Teh Evils in like 50+ games. They all had legendary gear and were working together (all PC players, probably on comms since they jacked the book + dagger in one shot at the same time).

It was down to the wire. Managed to get double elite double regular portals up, dropped the doot doot skelly bro and then pounded on the book as the boss. Managed to win with like 10s left on the clock.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah I am not sure how I feel about how they did some of the progression elements and the RNG in this game. Like, as a thought experiment, ask yourself if a Demon player and a group of Survivors totally equal in every way would have a good match if the Survivors all had Legendary weapons of their chosen type? Ask yourself how a group of Level 1 Survivors would do against a Level 45 Demon at equal skill? I understand that some RNG and progression is necessary but I really hope this game isn't a total crapshoot based on loot or the meta ends up requires the Survivors to always play Level 25 or penalize their team.

Also everybody loves Cheryl but I think people are sleeping on Leader Ash, the dude is basically immune to Fear after some Pink F and makes his team extremely Fear-resistant (thus denying Possession) and can spec his tree so that he's giving his team 30% damage bonuses constantly in big fights. Seriously, the guy is not flashy and is not going to top the scoreboard but he's an enormous help.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah I am not sure how I feel about how they did some of the progression elements and the RNG in this game. Like, as a thought experiment, ask yourself if a Demon player and a group of Survivors totally equal in every way would have a good match if the Survivors all had Legendary weapons of their chosen type? Ask yourself how a group of Level 1 Survivors would do against a Level 45 Demon at equal skill? I understand that some RNG and progression is necessary but I really hope this game isn't a total crapshoot based on loot or the meta ends up requires the Survivors to always play Level 25 or penalize their team.

I know this game has been out just a couple days but I can definitely see the need for some large balance passes in the near future as the devs gather more data. They seem fairly committed to making a good game though so I am feeling hopeful about it.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Also everybody loves Cheryl but I think people are sleeping on Leader Ash, the dude is basically immune to Fear after some Pink F and makes his team extremely Fear-resistant (thus denying Possession) and can spec his tree so that he's giving his team 30% damage bonuses constantly in big fights. Seriously, the guy is not flashy and is not going to top the scoreboard but he's an enormous help.

Leader Ash has been my go to thus far and he is nearly immune to fear unless things are completely tits up yeah. Also trying to level Support Ash on the side recently to help pub teams bleed less.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Possession is really a mixed bag depending on how it's used. Grabbing someone in the middle of a melee with a legendary weapon can be really strong, but the game is far enough past release now that if you have one teammate with full fear then most people instinctively move around the map with their guns pressed to the back of that guy's head.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Does anybody know if firing the crossbow alerts the demon? It functions as a gun, but intuitively it seems like it shouldn't make noise.

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Stupid question but where is the engine.ini located?

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

There are two things I want to see from this game in short order. 1) Fix animation cancelling. 2) Push to talk. Those are the two big quality of life things that are detracting from my enjoyment of this game the most.

I'd also like to see a "thumbs up" system for teammates like they have in Monster Hunter games.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

3) I shouldn't have to reform my group after every game, and especially not after every game that doesn't even happen because the killer backed out of the load-out screen.

Edit: Or I'm playing with two friends and the random solo player quits out when one of us picks their main.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The balance could probably use some work as well, as I level my main demon it feels like the only times I can actually lose is when I have horrible luck finding people for too long, and when they have both healing supports causing all the damage you deal to be absolutely meaningless.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Yeah, I'd like to see some kind of scaling so a group of level 1-10 survivors isn't just automatically stomped by a max-level demon, or vice-versa. Right now the group I play with is happy to just mess around with any group of survivors we feel like, but I foresee a day very soon where we start getting sweaty trying to grind out levels with an optimized group to spend on our less used characters instead of just playing those characters.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rommel1896 posted:

Stupid question but where is the engine.ini located?

Should be in

C:\Users\%Your_Username%\Appdata\local\evildead\saved\config\windowsnoeditor

Substitute drive and user name appropriately.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A dude has cracked the initial map spawns and can consistently find the Survivors (as Demon) around a minute into the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-KwXWPG_1w

It actually makes perfect sense, the Survivors can't spawn near the Knife/Book or the Demon will stumble across them while going to check on the objectives, and they can't spawn near the Demon, so it's pretty easy to figure out from there. This means a lot more pressure a lot earlier from the Demon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, I can firmly say that total invincibility during a finisher borders on an exploit when abused. I had a person grab a sledgehammer and go solo on an objective while I played necro. I had absolute overwhelming numbers and power against them, and they ended up losing because they went solo while I killed the other guys on the next phase. But the issue was that because she had a high stagger, moderate damage weapon she was able to solo the objective because going from long finisher to long finisher allowed her to have an invincibility window of over an entire minute. I possessed one of the units to try and solo her but it was impossible because she was just invincible until the timer ran out and I got banished.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ccubed posted:

If the demon possesses a survivor and spins the camera wildly around does the player see that? Moonmoon renamed his epic store name to Epilepsy-Warning just in case.

fat bald old streamer FeelsStrongMan

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

A dude has cracked the initial map spawns and can consistently find the Survivors (as Demon) around a minute into the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-KwXWPG_1w

It actually makes perfect sense, the Survivors can't spawn near the Knife/Book or the Demon will stumble across them while going to check on the objectives, and they can't spawn near the Demon, so it's pretty easy to figure out from there. This means a lot more pressure a lot earlier from the Demon.

Honestly i was having that feeling as I kept playing, like I just didn't think survivors would spawn near me or the objectives so i always just headed into the "dead" zones, albeit a bit more hapaharzardly and stared running into survivors when i did that. Im glad to see my instinct was right.

EDIT: also swingpoynt is a good content creator and i like watching his survivor streams.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 19, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, I can firmly say that total invincibility during a finisher borders on an exploit when abused. I had a person grab a sledgehammer and go solo on an objective while I played necro. I had absolute overwhelming numbers and power against them, and they ended up losing because they went solo while I killed the other guys on the next phase. But the issue was that because she had a high stagger, moderate damage weapon she was able to solo the objective because going from long finisher to long finisher allowed her to have an invincibility window of over an entire minute. I possessed one of the units to try and solo her but it was impossible because she was just invincible until the timer ran out and I got banished.

True but on the other side of the coin without invulnerability those special moves are borderline useless, so this is quite a conundrum.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I had a great time beating up survivors with Warlord last night, I'm up to level 24 I think. Following the advice of maximizing xp by getting basic portals ASAP for demonic energy consumption while travelling. Getting traps 3 and spamming them around the survivors when I find them to get the "free" elite spawns, then focusing my points on basic portals, possessions, and energy, adding some to boss if they make it past map phase.

Basic units are still the bread and butter. Possessing one, smacking survivors around, puking on them, and downing them is the best xp if you can manage it. The elite units "blood splatter" passive can make them add fear to players that melee them if you invest into the hemophobia tier 1 talent. If you have a bunch of melee happy survivors this can add up a lot and get them into possession range. I don't like possessing the elites, but I love having the survivors focus on them while I am puking on them from behind and spamming heavy attacks.

I did have one frustrating loss where I got a Henry player to disconnect, but the remaining Arthur, Cheryl, and Ash (not sure which one) made it all the way to the Dark Ones. The Ash was basically unstoppable with his chainsaw. I almost killed the Necronomicon at the end using boss heavies, but he was able to kill her before I could finish the job, and the other units couldn't do enough damage to the book before getting splattered by Ash. If I focused on Ash instead he just ran away. He played well but I'd like to know which Ash he was using so I can invest in it if I ever decide to play survivor. I probably should have picked up on how powerful he was earlier in the match and used him to kill his team mates before the Dark Ones phase.

e: Thinking on it some more, Ash wasn't entirely unstoppable but he did have enough Shemps to take all the abuse I could throw at him in the Necronomicon phase. I guess they did a good job stocking up and Cheryl probably got a lot of healing value before she died resulting in Ash having enough healing to clutch the win.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 19, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's Army of Darkness Ash aka Warrior Ash aka WAsh, who is widely considered to be overtuned aka too good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

True but on the other side of the coin without invulnerability those special moves are borderline useless, so this is quite a conundrum.

I could see either a cooldown added or the removal of white "finishers" as an option. Since white finishers don't do significantly more damage than extra normal hits it's primary tactical use it the invincibility window, versus the red finishers that can do things like negate the Puppeteer minion explosions.

Or even just being able to see who is swinging their weapon as part of a normal attack or swinging their weapon as a magic invincible attack would be good, so you can wait to hit during non-iframes. I just want my attacks to land :negative:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

That's Army of Darkness Ash aka Warrior Ash aka WAsh, who is widely considered to be overtuned aka too good.

Yeah I remember looking at his active ability and thinking it was nuts. I haven't actually seen the movies so I'm not familiar with which Ash is which in the game. Think I'll leave the devs some feedback to add an icon next to the survivor portraits indicating their role so demons can have a clear sense of what they're up against.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I could see either a cooldown added or the removal of white "finishers" as an option. Since white finishers don't do significantly more damage than extra normal hits it's primary tactical use it the invincibility window, versus the red finishers that can do things like negate the Puppeteer minion explosions.

Or even just being able to see who is swinging their weapon as part of a normal attack or swinging their weapon as a magic invincible attack would be good, so you can wait to hit during non-iframes. I just want my attacks to land :negative:

Gonna do feedback on this too. An obvious glowing "YO IM INVINCIBLE RIGHT NOW" indicator would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I just can not get a win with the demon, drat.