Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm getting bored with manual fishing and I need to catch golden fish...

also, more relevantly, I'm trying to save up a million silver to buy the sawmill, and I'm roughly 800k short. Any recommendations on good ways to make money that don't interfere too much with my exploring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arcturas posted:

How do I know what mailbox password items are safe to sell for silver? I need another 500k or so to get my sawmill.

Read "Don't sell it" in the library.

Generally, if you can't get it again easily, hold on to it just in case.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What do I do with my spare Ancient Coins if I'm near the cap? Give them away? Void the rest and spend 'em all on Wednesday?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's going to feel weird now that the event is over. I joined during it, so I'm used to the bonus XP.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just explore on mobile and tap frantically on the screen with both thumbs.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Moldy Sausage posted:

Yeah the flier in particular seems to have a much lower drop rate than the others. That’s the point where I just gave up the gold fish quest until I can get mealworms and just started fishing exclusively with nets.

You too, huh?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Archenteron posted:

Joined as Archenteron using the OP referral code and I have already been subjected to a slow but steady stream of various items coming into my mailbox that I don't know if I can sell or not (following the When In Doubt, Don't Tell It rule). Getting eggs, acorns, a 3-leaf clover, iron cups, a Gold Eggplant(?!?)

I also can't find the Tutorial?

Iron Cups are a good item to make to level your crafting skill early on. There's also a series of early quests involving them. Keep the rest until you can make or find it in quantity yourself.

The reason people are sending you stuff is that the game has a 'Daily Chores' system that randomly assigns tasks to people. One of the possible tasks you can get is "Mail 30 items to someone else", so you may just get free stuff on occasion.

Or even when someone sees you in the chat. The community is very giving.

PS: The tutorial is the Library. Read the 'Overview'.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fhqwhgads posted:

On Stamina, how do the Sprint Shoes upgrades actually work? The description wasn't very intuitive for me. One click still uses one stamina point, so I don't understand how "stamina is used faster". Is it simply just giving me more exp per click?

Sprint Shoes takes the number of stamina used per click, and doubles it. So you use 2 stamina at once instead of one.

If you click on the little "info" marker in the title bar of each location, it's also possible to boost this on a per-location basis with silver.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Agent355 posted:

What is the best source for glass bottles? An exploration zone surely, but which one is the best energy;bottle ratio or whatever?

I'm a fan of Mount Banon because you also get Carbon Spheres for steel, and Coal for Black Powder (which levels your crafting skill a lot when making it).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

buglord posted:

Is there a good way to grind crafting without screwing myself out of future help quests and having to collect certain materials all over again?

Also, how does exploration effectiveness work? Is it just reducing the amount of taps needed to explore, it doesnt mess with item discovery right?

[1] There's an article in the library about this. Start with Iron Cups, then later on you can do Sturdy Shields and eventually Fancy Pipes once your Sawmill is up and running.

In general, don't craft with anything you can't get back in quantity by exploring/fishing/growing/whatever, unless a quest asks you to.

[2] Exploration effectiveness just 'bundles' multiple taps into one. Chances of finding items per tap remains the same.

FreshFeesh posted:

Does Iron Depot make the Ironworks wholly unnecessary/redundant?

I'm pretty sure the Ironworks is redundant, period. I haven't bothered to get either perk because Iron is quite cheap from the store at my level (esp. once 'Sawmill Silver' is live) and I don't mind buying it manually.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FreshFeesh posted:

Am I the weird one for having 4x R11s in my inventory, even after making my first Lava Sphere?

Looks like I’ve grown just over 3000 corn

Later quests will require multiples of all the runestones, so hang onto those!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Lone Goat posted:

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but Borgen's Camp is selling me Gold Leaf. Hope you love grinding Ember Lagoon for ancient coins.

It's the same for everyone.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kalman posted:

Yep. The value of boards/wood tails off pretty hard after a certain point - one board is 7040 silver per hour (assuming sturdy shields). The 276th board costs enough that it doesn’t break even until 58 hours - assuming you never void boards. I think people are putting waaaaay too much emphasis on the sawmill too early; definitely upgrade into the 100-200 range early, but you don’t need to push past there all that quickly, and definitely not worth doing so if you haven’t inventory-maxed your orchard.

My rule of thumb is: "What rate of boards/wood do I need to completely fill my inventory in 8 hours?"

And then I go with that.

Unrelatedly, I did a little banking...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I do love how helpful the community is, at least where I am still probably early-mid game. Sent a chat asking what a fair trade for 100 spiders would be and people just flooded my mailbox with them for free.

It's worth it spending some gold on mailbox upgrades for sure.

Yeah, often times if you ask for a resource in giveaways chat, people will just give you all the extra they needed to clear out of their inventory.

The things that you'll really see exchanged on the trade center tend to fall into either [1] massive bulk lots of things such as Rope (for Fishing Nets), Glass Orbs (for Lanterns, Steel, whatever), or Carbon Spheres (for Steel), or [2] goods that are extremely valuable at all stages of the game, such as Orange Juice, Lemonade, Fishing Nets, and the like. Orange Juice is the de facto currency of the trade center, because it's portable, tradable, and valuable.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Davedave24 posted:

Do quests just totally dry up around level 50-60? I liked having lots of goals to craft and collect things, but since then all I've got to do is farm a million corn or farm a million hops or farm a million carrots or try to do stupid manual fishing for gold fish. I keep levelling everything up hoping I'll unlock some new quests sometime but no dice

They do for a bit, yeah. I believe hitting high 60s is when they start to come back.

Meanwhile, I've got f'in Let's Play Pirates! II to tide me over :negative:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

koshmar posted:

I've got crafting to 90 and I have ember and minerva unlocked, is there anything other than pipe, shields, and lanterns I can be crafting?

Guitars.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tildes posted:

One more question: anglerfish and sharks teeth? It seems like I can’t get these from fishing and buddy.farm not showing exactly what’s up.

Shark's Teeth are only available through the Exchange Center on some days. (The devs explained the goal is to slow down high-level players' rate of rampaging through new quests.)

I believe Anglerfish are only available from a Lv6 pet right now, but will be in the new fishing zone, maybe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yep. Cinnamon Sticks makes it so you need 1250 to use it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This already came up in the thread, but I can't stress it enough: the Exchange Center updates every twelve hours now. So you should check it twice a day rather than just the once.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

buglord posted:

Somebody break it to me gently: theres 99 entire 99 Bottles quests aren’t there?

Yes. :D

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Agent355 posted:

How do you get the angler fish for the new fishing zone unlock quest? I'm on the very first step and I can understand that I need to exchange stuff for shark's teeth but I don't know where the angler fish comes from.

Lv.6 Frigate Macaw.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ineptitude posted:

I don't mind the other grinds, the type that simply take x amount of calendar days (e.g. honey) or the ones where you need e.g. a thousand green cloaks. Fishing gold fish however is such a pain in the rear end. It is the only part of the game that is twitch based gameplay and the drop rates are horrible.

Here's what to do:

Ask in giveaways chat for the kinds of gold fish that can be mailed.

Then, throw them in the Wishing Well. Gold fish can be cross-converted to the other types in this way.

Check out "WW Wants" in the library to see how to get the different types of fish.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Red alert! This is not a drill.

Firestream just made it so that using Apple Cider increases item drop rates.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

obi_ant posted:

You only get perk points from items that are Tier 2 and above?

Each time you Master an item (that's the 10,000 mark), you get one Perk Point.
You also get a Perk Point when you level one of the four main skills.

(You don't get a Perk Point when you grandmaster items.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have finished Corn Quandary XXXI.

Phew.

Now I have no idea what to do with my farm field.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Heads up - there's a new mailbox password, "Millions". It gives you 3 Peaches.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Aerox posted:

Uhhh any tips on getting 400 cogwheels quickly? It's all I have left before unlocking the tower (i've got everything else ready to go) but I have no treasure keys and husky is dropping them very, very slowly

There's the wishing well - Ancient Coins at an 8% chance, or Pocket Watches at a 33% chance.
There's also fishing in the Small Pond, at a ~1/1000 drop rate.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

obi_ant posted:

You get gold crops from growing regular crops.

They're rare drops crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've had to hang the game up for now, because I was checking it every 20 minutes to collect mushroom harvests to use up Oak, and... it was cutting into my Everything Else.

Remember to pace yourself when playing, lest you suffer the same fate I did.