Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Silver Weapons are really only good for Dual Attacks in my experience, since, if memory serves, a partner swinging one won't suffer the debuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ApplesandOranges posted:

Anyway, I like Shura. He's not great as a unit and his lack of supports hurts him (he just gets Corrin in the base game, when he should have gotten Saizo and/or Azura at least as well), but his bases are decent and he's got just enough utility that you can fall back on if you need to.

Nyx is... rough. She's really fragile, and while she's meant to be the glass cannon mage, she's too much of glass and not enough cannon considering her low bases and starting level. She's kinda like Charlotte in that she makes a great pair-up buddy, this time in a magical flavour. Honestly though I've never really managed to make her work, you have less squishy mages and moving Nyx to Dark Knight just makes her a lesser version of other options. Adventurer Nyx makes her better at the job since she can give Mov+1 and a bit of Spd.

Shura is good with ranged damage, and can heal, the two things you don't need impressive stats to remain a solid pick for. And he comes with boosted movement and Lockpick? I really can't complain.

Nyx definitely looks like she'll struggle to find a proper niche. The rarity of magic damage combined with a decent SPD is in and of itself usable, but she's outmatched by what Elise or Orochi can do. Adventurer also gives her healing, which is the job even most units can still do good with no matter how bad their power level is. Especially with Sun Festals in the game, healers don't even have to be at risk of being shot while doing their job.

We''ll see if she gets used and turns into anything notable, but yeah, first impressions aren't strong.

LJN92 posted:

Speaking of horny, I think Brigitta could use another stay in jail.

She would've stayed in there for the free food if half the army didn't keep burning it. Well, it's only Felicia, Rinkah, and maybe Arthur doing it, but they keep showing up for food duty all the time.

If anyone was wondering-

-this is custom. Generic maids actually lack a "posed" portrait, (the one character use for critical cutins), instead using the same vague, eerie smile they normally have. I'll probably do a few more as time goes on. I do a lot of portrait spritework just for fun.

Greenking77 posted:

I legitimately forgot about Shura’s existence (been a while since I played fates and back then I tended to shove any late game units in the box I mean barracks and forget them), and I only remember Nyx cause of the outfit. Also Brigitta is hilarious and I hope you know we are probably gonna make you drag her and Akane on most missions now.

The stripping weapons are funnily enough good for the stat buffs alone, probably better than most steel and silver weapons in this game.

I mean, I've pretty much accepted at this point that Akane is always coming and Brigitta probably is too.

The steel weapons I'd say are situational at best. They're sometimes not bad, Charlotte was able to clean a General off in one turn with her Steel Axe here, but you really have to be mindful of the SPD loss. The Silvers are really bad not for the initial debuff, but for the fact that the unit will keep getting that debuff if they get dogpiled on. That, and you don't usually have multiple turns to just wait around.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Yeah, they really did the silver weapons dirty this game. Hope you manage to one shot the enemy, or aren't facing more than one, because those stat reductions after you swing suck, and they will stack, at least, according to a memory of when [REDACTED] swung a silver axe in a certain mission I am not at liberty to discuss.

IMO, they should've just balanced the silver weapons out by making them more expensive and/or hard to obtain.

Oh they definitely stack. In the DLC map we'll be heading to, a lost run had an NPC go crazy with a Silver Lance and end up meeting the boss with a glorious 1 STR down from 20 something. Kinda sad that run died, because it was hilarious.

Having silver weapons be really rare and/or pricy like they used to would've been fine. B rank requirement + the more limited gold in this game is enough of a nerf.

NyoroEevee posted:

Silver Weapons are really only good for Dual Attacks in my experience, since, if memory serves, a partner swinging one won't suffer the debuff...

If that's true, then it's a pretty good potential use for them. Situational, like the Steel weapons, but usable.

I know Peri gets a stat buff on kill, so maybe that's a possible workaround I could look into when she actually joins.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 44: Franchise Title (Chapter 15- Rainbow Sage, Part C)

ive had less than 6 hours of sleep each day for the last 4 days

yesterday i got 2 hours

anyways fates

ELISE: Wow, we've finally reached the top floor. The Sage must be just behind that door!

TAKUMI: Hang on-let's not let our guard down just yet. There's something strange about that door. I can't quite tell what, though...

SAKURA: S-strange? Then...we should proceed with caution.

CAMILLA: Who knows what traps might be on the other side. Be careful, Corndog.

*Corndog says nothing and just flies in.*

Music: The Truth Teller

CORNDOG: What the?! But this is-

OLD MAN: Hoo hoo! Welcome back.

*We find ourselves back in the house we entered when we first arrived on the island.*

CORNDOG: Huh?! But...you're the old man from before! You were at the base of the mountain.

CORNDOG: How did you get up to the highest floor?

OLD MAN: Ah, so close- this room is actully linked to the highest floor. Quite convenient for me.

OLD MAN: I commend you on overcoming the trials I put forth. You are worthy of meeting me.

CORNDOG: I can't believe this- you're the Rainbow Sage?

*Slow white flash*

RAINBOW SAGE: Indeed I am.

RAINBOW SAGE: You set out up the mountain in order to ask me something, did you not? Well, let's hear it.

CORNDOG: We're looking for...a dragon. We've been told that we needed to meet one.

CORNDOG: The dragon will help us stop this endless conflict between Nohr and Hoshido. I have to do whatever it takes to stop the fighting!

RAINBOW SAGE: Hoo... So you want to end the war, huh?

RAINBOW SAGE: Fascinating. And admirable. All right. I'll tell you where to find a dragon. But first, let me see that Yato of yours.

CORNDOG: Really? OK. Here you go.

RAINBOW SAGE: ...

RAINBOW SAGE: I, who forged the sacred blade... I, who committed the great sin...

RAINBOW SAGE: I, who wove the divine colors... I call on you now, Seal of Flames!

The first part of this is actually voice acted.

*We see the Yato spin before us...*

*And it transforms! The guard is thicker and more rectangular, and there's now a thin knuckle bow to go with it. It's also radiating a faint blue now too.*

Cool, an upgrade for our doorstop.

RAINBOW SAGE: Your blade... It should be a little stronger now.

CORNDOG: Thank you so much! Is this...the Seal of Flames that Fuga mentioned?

RAINBOW SAGE: No, not quite. To complete the Seal of Flames, you need the other four divine weapons.

RAINBOW SAGE: Once you have them, the Seal of Flames will become the Fire Emblem.

CORNDOG: The Fire Emblem...

The franchise title...

RAINBOW SAGE: Yes... Without that, you have no chance of succeeding in your quest...

RAINBOW SAGE: Don't lose heart. Continue down the path you've chosen. It should lead...you to each of the weapons you need...

RAINBOW SAGE: *cough...cough...*

*Collapse*

CORNDOG: Sage?! Something's wrong!

CORNDOG: Sakura, do you have your rod?!

SAKURA: Y-yes!

CORNDOG: Elise, you too. Heal him! Quickly!

ELISE: I'll do my best!

RAINBOW SAGE: Don't waste your energy... I have lived well beyond my time already...

CORNDOG: What?

You know, the last time this unique music played the important NPC we just met died. It's only twice, but I'm starting to think this track is cursed!

RAINBOW SAGE: Anyway, human magic... won't work on me...

CORNDOG: Human magic?

CORNDOG: Why won't it? You don't mean you're-!

RAINBOW SAGE: Yes. I am the dragon you've been searching for.

RAINBOW SAGE: Long, long ago... Twelve dragons were filled with desire... They fought over who would control the world...

RAINBOW SAGE: For my part, I created the Yato and the divine weapons. Doing so pulled humanity into our war.

RAINBOW SAGE: I wasn't able to die...until I had atoned for those sins...

The worst fate imaginable: being immortal but aging so you have to deal with all that arthritis for the rest of your life.

Also why do you just look like an old guy and not an old guy with red eyes and pointy ears. Why is Corndog the only one with red eyes and pointy ears?

CORNDOG: But...that was so long ago...

RAINBOW SAGE: I've given your Yato... the last of my power... Corndog... Use...the Yato... Make...your own destiny...

CORNDOG: Sage...

Missed a perfectly good opportunity do use "make your own fate" here. This is Fates, not Fire Emblem: Destinies.

i cannot believe gay sage is dead, especially on pride month

how could you, fates

Music: The Wistful Wilds

CORNDOG: ...Thank you, Sage. I mean... Thank you, great dragon...

CORNDOG: I will make sure that your sacrifice is not in vain.

*Corndog then turns to look to Elise and Sakura.*

CORNDOG: Let's head to the Bottomless Canyon.

CORNDOG: The skies will soon change above Hoshido and Nohr.

Are they? I have no idea how much time passes between any event in this game.

Oh, and if you were wondering, the Yato is now the Alpha Yato, making it have 11 Mt and +2 STR, SPD, DEF, and RES while it's in Corndog's inventory. She doesn't even have to hold it.

busted

We then return to Fort Corndog.

The most important thing is that we finally win something at the lottery for once. (it's just a Brass Club- but hey, I'll take free)

Then Corndog helps Felicia punch some people in the arena. This is mostly a reminder that yes, the Pink Princess's RES is still abysmal.

supports supports supports supports

----------------------SUPPORTS----------------------------

Corndog x Shura - C

Corndog tries to invite Shura over to sit at their lunch table, but he declines. He doesn't want to cause too many issues for her or the military by being around too much given that he's still a wanted outlaw. He's very cordial and chill about it all though, but there's definitely an edge of guilt at play.

Will Corndog ever manage to reach out to the guy who has the same taste in hairstyle as her? Only time will tell.

Elise x Nyx C [Uncoded/USSM]

Elise tries to get Nyx to teach her dark magic after a lot of stalling. Nyx refuses firmly.

This support's pretty normal, helped by the fact the writer of it is intentionally trying to avoid the usual subject regarding Nyx.

Gunter x Reina - B [UGF]

These two longtime enemies get set on patrol duty with one another. They quickly dig up each other's dark pasts as they air their grievances. In the end, you realize that there's few winners in war.

It's a pretty lengthy one.

Corndog x Gunter B

And so we interrupt that deep delve into the darkness of war for some surrogate father x daughter bonding.

My only wish is that they had used the hit and crit sounds during this- hugely wasted opportunity.

Akane x Brigitta ??? [ODD]

What some of the thread has been waiting for, I think.

Akane delivers her first damage- Brigitta hatches a plan.

Anyways, that's all, join us next time as we interfere with the timeline and go to a rather silly DLC map. Although, it was less funny before it's gimmick made me restart nearly 10 times.

...I'm serious.

WAIT

One last bit, I forgot to include these lines last update, so here they are.

Attacking Shura posted:

SHURA: drat it... Are you here to see the Sage, too? Nothing personal, but I can't have you getting in my way.

SHURA: I have goals, and anyone who gets in my way will be knocked aside!

I, Shura, will knock you all down!

He Die posted:

SHURA: No... drat it. I was so close... If only I could...see Kohga... one last time.

And that's all. Nyx doesn't have lines and she starts as a neutral, so there's no chance to attack her or anything.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 11, 2023

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

ive had less than 6 hours of sleep for the last 4 days

yesterday i got 2 hours

anyways fates

drat, are you alright? Like you're not dying at least?

Odd Wilson posted:

Akane x Brigitta ??? [ODD]

What some of the thread has been waiting for, I think.

Akane delivers her first damage- Brigitta hatches a plan.

Good lord, what inspiration has she gotten from having paper thrown at her?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

drat, are you alright? Like you're not dying at least?

I meant to say each day, but well, sleep deprivation. It's been about a full week of roughly 4-5 hours of sleep with that one awful 2 hour sleep night. The last one was a little self-inflicted, but insomnia sucks eggs.

But to clarify, I'm still alive and fine. Just been a bad week for me, it always seems to do this when there's a heavy temperature swing on season shifts.

LJN92 posted:

Good lord, what inspiration has she gotten from having paper thrown at her?

Her mind is an enigma, only unravel-able by more supports.

I have somewhere I'm going with all of this, of course, but we have to resolve the conflict of personalities going on here.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 11, 2023

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Lol the Akane and Brigitta support was a very pleasant surprise.

Malah
May 18, 2015

The smiling maid edit is unsettling, so fantastic work there.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 45: Perfectly Chromulent (Xenologue - Before Awakening)

We return to our regularly unscheduled DLC gameplay.

Today we inflict irreperable damage upon Awakening's plot.

-Xenologue-
Before Awakening

Music: The Wistful Wilds

JAKOB: We have trouble, Lady Corndog.

CORNDOG: What's wrong, Jakob?

JAKOB: I was cleaning the castle a moment ago, and I had the feeling I was being watched.

JAKOB:I turned and saw some invisible soldiers slipping out of sight!

CORNDOG: Wait, you're saying you SAW invisible soldiers?

JAKOB: I... You know what I mean, milady! They weren't completely invisible!

JAKOB:Anyway, I threw a dagger the moment I saw them, but they slipped away too quickly.

CORNDOG: Did you see which direction they took off in?

JAKOB: Indeed. I tried to follow them, but they stepped through a strange sliver of light.

JAKOB:I approached it and looked inside-all I saw were trees. I've never seen such a forest.

CORNDOG: A forest on the other side of a gateway of some kind...

JAKOB: Indeed. But it wasn't familiar to me at all. If I'm being honest, it didn't even feel like the same world we're in.

JAKOB: I don't know what makes me think that, though. It's just a feeling.

CORNDOG: If those soldiers went to that world, the people there may be in danger.

CORNDOG: We need to chase after them! Do you remember where the gate is?

JAKOB: Of course, milady.

*We enter a portal and exit into a lush, western forest.*

Music: "Oh, it's not so bad, Lissa. Just a healthy little walk!"
(This is Awakening's map menu music, very nostalgic.)

CORNDOG: We safely made it through the gate, but...where are we?

JAKOB: I haven't the foggiest idea...

CORNDOG: Hmmm... What are we going to do now?

CORNDOG: Oh, it looks like there's a sign over there. It's legible, too! Halidom of...Ylisse?

CHROM: Hey, do you need help?

CORNDOG: Yikes!

CHROM: Forgive me-did I startle you? You look a bit lost.

Hi there, Matt Mercer.

FREDERICK: Milord, I don't believe I've ever seen these people before.

LISSA: Oh! Travelers, then? That would explain the strange clothes you're wearing.

A reminder that Corndog shows up to every cutscene in her armor pajamas, unless she doesn't.

CORNDOG: Um, sorry, but who are you?

CHROM: Ah, I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Chrom. I'm captain of the Shepherds.

CHROM: The delicate one here is my little sister, Lissa.

LISSA: Delicate?! I am NOT... Grrrrr.

LISSA: Ignore my brother, please. He can be a bit thick sometimes.

CHROM: Ehem. Over here is my knight, Frederick.

FREDERICK: I serve as his aide and second-in-command.

CORNDOG: I see. It's nice to meet you. My name is Corndog. With me is Jakob.

JAKOB: Pleased to be of service.

CHROM: It's a pleasure to meet both of you. So tell me, Corndog, what brings you through this area today?

CORNDOG: The truth is, we were in pursuit of a group...

CORNDOG: Have you noticed anything strange happening lately? Maybe seen some warriors, nearly invisible?

CHROM: I'm sorry-did you say invisible warriors?

FREDERICK: Our halidom has been invaded?! They could be from neighboring Plegia...

JAKOB: That won't do, Lady Corndog. This must be another world!

JAKOB: We should do our best not to confuse or panic them, if we can avoid it.

Jakob, there's no need to invoke the Prime Directive here, I think anyone back in our weird world would be alarmed by invisible soldiers.

CORNDOG: Oh right! Um...did I say invisible warriors? I meant invisible...invisible... warthogs! Our prized invisible warthogs got loose!

JAKOB: You could really improve your improvising, milady.

:cripes:

CHROM: Warthogs? Invisible ones?

CORNDOG: Yes, they are a very dangerous type of beast from our homeland. They're...um...excellent guard animals, but if left alone, they can cause a lot of trouble.

JAKOB: These vicious beasts have been known to destroy towns and villages, as well.

JAKOB: I cannot stress enough how dangerous they are.

CHROM: These creatures sound awful!

CORNDOG: It's best to run away if you spot one. If it's too close, hold nothing back when you fight them!

CHROM: Really? Aren't these your beasts?

CORNDOG: It's not important! It matters more to us that no one gets hurt in their rampage! We've...um...traveled very far to make sure everyone stays safe.

CHROM: A-all right...

FREDERICK: I have to say, I find your behavior very suspicious. What are you up to?

FREDERICK: This story sounds unlikely, at best. And just a moment ago, Jakob referred to you as Lady. Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain why you have such a title?

CORNDOG: Well...

JAKOB: (If she tries to improvise again, we're all doomed.)

JAKOB: You have some nerve suggesting even the slightest of ill intentions! My Lady Corndog is a princess. She deserves the utmost respect.

FREDERICK: I beg your pardon?!

LISSA: What? You're a princess, Corndog?!

JAKOB: Yes, she is!

CORNDOG: Jakob...

CHROM: This is...surprising. However, it's only right that I tell you, then. I am a prince.

CORNDOG: You are?

Chrom is a prince and is next in line, but his older sister Emmeryn currently rules. He leads the Shepherds instead, basically Ylisse's royal problem-solving military band. Until of course it becomes the entire Ylissean military on a warpath to kill a god. Or maybe save a god from itself.

BOY: AHHHHHHH!!!

CORNDOG: Was that a scream?!

JAKOB: I think it came from over there!

CORNDOG: Let's go, Jakob! It might be the warriors! I mean warthogs! Let's go!

JAKOB: *sigh* As you wish...

LISSA: Ah! Corndog?!

CHROM: We're going too! Lissa, Frederick, follow me!

FREDERICK: Of course!

Music: Prelude to Dispute

*Our view returns to see two small frontier fortresses near a river overrun by enemies. A villager runs away!*

*Down at the south, Corndog and Jakob arrive.*

CORNDOG: It is them!

JAKOB: Leave everything to me, milady. I shall eliminate them promptly.

CHROM: Wait, Corndog! We'll join you!

CORNDOG: Chrom?! I don't want to involve you three in our troubles!

CHROM: It is our duty as defenders of this land to help whenever it's threatened. We'll aid you!

CORNDOG: Chrom...

CORNDOG: Thank you. Let's work together to end their rampage!

CHROM: OK!

And so the initial Awakening crew is here to help. Well, sort of. You'll see.

Also, if you didn't know, Chrom actually has different portraits based on the direction he's facing. Effort!

This map environment is actually Chapter 2 from Awakening, a map I'm intimately familiar with as it's a bloody puzzle on Lunatic.

Our deployment is a very limited 5 units, as the original map only deployed 8. Corndog is not required, so she's out. The team is Elise, Gunter, Felicia, Selena, Charlotte (as a stat backpack).

I picked an unnecessarily fragile team for this, but this formation was to clear up some support requests. Also Elise appreciates the EXP.

I won't be as methodical with this as the map kinda turns into a mess by the midpoint and also this was somewhere around my 10th attempt.

Music: Prelude
Music: Prelude (Ablaze)

This is also the same music that played for Chapter 2. It's super nostalgic for me at this point. Either that, or it's a result of being stuck here for hours puzzling out the way to get through on Lunatic.

It's a rout map, but this map has enough gimmick to it to make that more than fine.

CHROM: Where did that princess-

ELISE: Ready to save the day!

CHROM: Lissa! When did you get a wyvern?!

ELISE: It's Elise! Not Elissa!

LISSA: Chrom, I'm right here...

FREDERICK: Perhaps you should stand back milord, you seem dazed. Understandably so, might I add...

CHROM: I-I'm... fine.

For whatever reason, Chrom forgot to bring Falchion today. We're about to make his day more confusing with the only unique dialogue we'll be able to have on the map with this team.

Chrom's not having an easy day today.

SELENA: Huh?! Is that...Chrom?! I need to hide!

CHROM: What in the world are you doing in those bushes?! You're... Are you one of Corndog's allies?

SELENA: Huh? You don't recognize me?

SELENA: I mean, um... Hello! We haven't met yet! I guess. I hope.

SELENA: I don't see her here, so that's a good sign at least.

CHROM: Who are you talking about?

SELENA: A certain red-haired pegasus knight in your service.

CHROM: Ah, you mean Cordelia? She's one of my castle knights, that's true, though I wouldn't say she's in my service.

SELENA: Ah, so she hasn't joined you yet. I see.

CHROM: Are you a friend of Cordelia?

SELENA: Oh no, I'm her... What I meant to say is, we're not yet acquainted yet. I've just heard about her from...people.

For reference, Cordelia is Selena's mother, A mother with who she had a very mixed relationship with.

SELENA: ...Say, when you see her, can you tell her something for me?

SELENA: Tell her you met a girl named Selena who swears to surpass her someday.

CHROM: O...K.

SELENA: Don't give me that. I'm counting on you to pass on my message.

SELENA: Listen, it's important. You have to be the one who tells her. Maybe over a cup of tea.

SELENA: Alone. Just the two of you. She hides it well, but she needs you to be the one to help her!

CHROM: I...see... I'll try to do what I can for her.

SELENA: Good. That settles that then.

We get to see Selena's rare "Scheming" portrait. Also, Cordelia's other thing outside of perfection and survivor's guilt is that she has a thing for Chrom but can never say it.

SELENA: I hope you like my present for you, Mom.

SELENA: Enjoy your time together with Lord Chrom. You'll forgive me for this, right, Daddy?

SELENA: Don't worry-no matter what happens, I know she'll choose you in the end!

Cordelia literally doesn't have a support with Chrom, she's that incapable of talking to him. So yeah, Selena's father is someone else.

CHROM: Frederick... I think I might have to take your advice and lie down somewhere.

CHROM: (What is even happening?)

LISSA: Ha! Who's the delicate one now?

LISSA: I'll watch him. Go ahead, Frederick!

This is my excuse for these two not getting involved. Lissa can heal, but you want don't her or Chrom anywhere near the battle. You only get the real rewards if they survive and they will get dogpiled easily.

Anyways, now that we've interfered with the timeline, let's play the actual map.

The enemies here are not too forwardly aggressive on their own, the real problem will be the reinforcements.

Elise is mostly flying solo this map, so her accuracy is a little bad. She's super lethal though, true glass cannon.

The solution is to let Felicia poke in and let Elise get offensive support. This formation is barely just right, as the other enemies around won't be able to reach the Twintails of Death even if she gets hit here.

The enemies get blocked by the Felicia/Gunter duo instead, who is strong enough to take a number of combats from these enemies without needing a heal.

On the ally phase, Frederick will berserk his way through the enemy.

FREDERICK: I've never encountered anything like these creatures before!

FREDERICK: Oddly, they seem more human than animal, though...

FREDERICK: No matter-I will not let you harm my Lord or my Lady.

FREDERICK: Exalt Emmeryn would never forgive me if something happened to them!

A reminder that there was the whole "warthog" excuse.

Frederick's stats are pretty high, roughly mid 20's for STR, SPD, and DEF. Combined with a Silver Lance, he annihilates the enemy.

...Until his debuffs start stacking up from using it.

Our turn, Hero Gunter double defends for Felicia somewhat unnecessarily, but cool nonetheless,

Felicia picks up level 15 for this. MAG, SKL. Also throwing B.

It's not a good level, but she has finally learned Tomebreaker. This is +50% hit and avoid versus an opponent using a book or scroll. It basically no-sells any attacks with those weapons against her, and lets her easily punish.

Elise stands back and heals herself instead of engaging. There's about to be more enemies than we know what to do with.

Frederick deletes a man.

And there they are. These ninjas.

The ninjas on the bridge came down from the upper forts last turn as reinforcements, but now they're in sight.

There is no mercy to be spared for these Ninjas. Their STR and DEF are really low so they're not inherently a threat, but somebody thought it would be funny to give them Lunge. And yes, they use it every time. And every ninja reinforcement for the next 7 or something turns has it.

We poke in, but only Selena can one-round a ninja with a crit. The rest of our team can't.

Then they begin their assault.

And suddenly Selena finds herself down by Felicia after a chain of lunges. The thing you have to be afraid of is getting lunge chained all the way into the north part of the map and getting dogpiled.

A reminder that Selena is our sorta tank for this map, and remains a surprisingly strong unit on our team.

Frederick will try his hardest to help clear the ninjas, but he'll start eating a lot of debuffs from his lance.

SELENA: Time to play!

Every ninja gone improves our chances.

Selena/Charlotte gets thrown into northern half of the map after two throws. This is usually what happens with the ninjas who just spawned.

I'm the least afraid for Selena here, it's probably a restart if Felicia or Elise get dragged up there. I'd kinda prefer if Selena didn't clear the whole map and eat all the EXP I'd hoped Elise would get, but I'm also kinda over this map at this point.

Selena does get more than 30 EXP for kill here, but um...

As her voice line said here, "yikes". Level 18: HP

Yes, it very isn't like you, but I suppose you're afforded a bad level with how decent your stats have been.

Selena narrowly avoids eating this EXP candy shaped like a Spear Fighter, but...

She wipes an incoming Samurai instead.

This round is a full set of ninja reinforcements, but we halve it due to an enemy and Fred blocking the forts.

Selena tries to remove this pesky Spear Fighter, but even with triangle advantage on the Dual Katana he dodges both times.

The RNG is just really bad all of a sudden.

Elise hits 15 with MAG, SKL, SPD.

With most of the actually dangerous enemies removed by Selena's Killing Edge, Felicia pushes in.

Felicia hits 16, netting MAG, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES. Good level!

And then the field continues to be fusterclucked by the ninja lunging, so have this surprisingly good action shot of Felicia.

Fred steals a kill from me.

We clean up.

Also, the balance Wyvern Riders have when attacking like this is crazy.

The mopping finally ends with Selena hitting 19 and getting SKL, DEF. Some real unfortunate levels for her this time, but I won't begrudge the DEF.

Elise fighter pilots in on the second to last enemy.

The resulting level for her is greatly disappointing, The levels have been awful on this run.

Oh, I had to restart this map like 9 times because Elise, Felicia, or Lissa would get sucked in the ninja tornado and then get dogpiled by the real enemies.

Oh, and the level is 16: MAG.

Then Fred is just barely capable of stealing the boss kill.

This is like the worst outcome for this map, but I guess we win. :shrug:

8 Turns, Selena/Charlotte MVP. Sounds about right.

This could have gone WAY better.

Music: "It appears the capital was spared the chaos."

CORNDOG: All right, I think that's the last of them.

CHROM: I owe you, Corndog. You and your allies have my gratitude.

CORNDOG: We were the ones that got you involved in this whole mess. Think nothing of it.

CORNDOG: Really, I'm sorry for putting you and the people here in harm's way. We'll do our best to prevent this from happening again.

JAKOB: Those...beasts...attack without warning. I regret that we cannot promise that this is the last you'll see of them.

CORNDOG: Unfortunately, this is true...

CHROM: Corndog... Things must be rough back in your kingdom.

CHROM: I have an idea. Why not take these with you?

LISSA: But Chrom, those are-!

CHROM: Yes, the Exalt's Brand and Hero's Brand that our sister Emm gave me.

FREDERICK: Milord, are you sure about this? Those gifts from Exalt Emmeryn are on par with the kingdom's royal treasures.

CORNDOG: What?! I can't accept something like that from you!

CHROM: No, I want you to have them. I know full well how valuable they are, but...

CHROM: I think that they would be of great help to you, Corndog, and to your allies.

CHROM: I saw how you fought hard to keep us all safe from harm.

CHROM: I want to show you my appreciation. Please, take them.

CORNDOG: Chrom...

CORNDOG: Thank you. I promise to use them well.

FREDERICK: Hmph, I cannot stop milord if he insists.

FREDERICK: I will give you something as well.

CORNDOG: Is... Are you giving me a pebble?

FREDERICK: Yes, I collect them from my milord and milady's path so they don't trip.

FREDERICK: I have a strange feeling that this one may help you in some way.

CORNDOG: Um... Thanks... I'll...find a way to use it...

Fred's thing is that he's an extremely thorough steward. Thorough to the point of comedy outside of the main story.

JAKOB: Lady Corndog, I believe it would be in our best interest to head home.

CORNDOG: All right.

CORNDOG: It was nice meeting you, Chrom, Lissa, and you as well, Frederick.

CHROM: If you get the chance, come visit us again sometime. I'd like to talk more about our respective kingdoms.

CORNDOG: I'm sure if you wish it, we'll meet again someday. Just hold fast to your beliefs.

CHROM: I will. I'll look forward to the day our paths cross again.

CORNDOG: Thanks, Chrom.

CORNDOG: I hope to spend time together again someday as well

CORNDOG: ...

CORNDOG: (Why does he sound like my older brother? The one with big hair?)

You got Exalt's Brand.

You got Hero's Brand.

You got Pebble.

Exalt's brand gives us one-time access to Great Lord, or effectively Lucina's class. It's for ladies only.

Hero's Brand is one-time access to Lodestar, or Marth's class. It's for men only.

The Pebble is 1 damage throwing weapon that can't trigger skills. It's use is that it debuffs STR/SPD/DEF/RES by 4 on hit, as well as being grindable off this map if you wanted to superforge it.

*Silence.*

LISSA: And there they go. They were pretty interesting people, weren't they?

CHROM: Indeed. I have a feeling we might see them again sometime.

LISSA: I was thinking the same thing!

LISSA: Corndog was a very talented leader, you know. I was really impressed by the different battle tactics she used.

CHROM: The Shepherds could really benefit from a talented tactician like that. Unfortunately, battle strategy is not my strength.

LISSA: Yeah, you're much more brawn before brains.

CHROM: I wouldn't go that far...

FREDERICK: Pardon me, milord, milady, but I believe we should get on our way.

FREDERICK: We must make headway farther south before the sun falls.

CHROM: Sorry, let's get going.

CHROM: Hmm? It looks like someone's fainted up ahead!

FREDERICK: What?!

LISSA: Huh? You're right!! What should we do?!

CHROM: We need to offer our help!

CHROM: Hrm. Definitely not dead, at least. Why would anyone lay down out here...

CHROM: I've never seen clothes like these before. Where could-

*And then suddenly, we are visited by the slightly crusty audio of 2012 Matt Mercer and Kate Higgins.*

Music: "There are better places to take nap than on the ground you know."

LISSA: Chrom...

LISSA: We have to do something.

CHROM: What do you propose we do?

LISSA: I... I dunno...

LISSA: Ah!

CHROM: I see you're awake now.

LISSA: Hey there!

CHROM: There're better places to take a nap than on the ground, you know.

CHROM: Give me your hand.

And so begins Awakening. The game actually uses their voice lines cut from the opening FMV.

CHROM: You all right?

CHROM: We thought you left already.

CORNDOG: ...Wait, who the f-

=========================

Before we go, there's a lot of alternate dialogue we didn't get. There's a few that'll be relevant when we pick up the other returning cameo characters, but I'll put them up when we get them.

This went over the text limit though, so I had to push this into a testpost >>> HERE <<<

===================
VO T I N G
===================

And at last, just for some fun, this update, let's do a small vote.

The vote will be on who to use our new reclass seals on, and also who both Charlotte and Selena should reclass into.

-DLC Seals-

When it comes to the DLC seals, they're level 30 classes like Azura's Dancer. They have some significant base stat bonuses.

For example, Takumi ends up like this as a Lodestar. Lodestar is entirely sword only.

Charlotte's differences aren't as extreme here, but still pretty significant. Great Lord gets Swords and Lances.

We can also always just waste it employ unusual strategies with the seals.

Keep in mind that the Elise strategy ate all of our Arms Scrolls, so the recipient will be stuck on Bronze/Brass for a while unless they already use swords.

Kaden models the Lodestar outfit for us...

...and Azura cosplays Lucina here, If you wanted to know what the class outfit looked like.

-Selena & Charlotte Promotion-

Selena's Stats:

Charlotte's Stats:

Charlotte's Stats as Berserker (More crit glass cannon):

Charlotte's Stats as a Hero:

Find the >>> VOTING FORM HERE <<<

Next time: A giant pile of supports to close us out before we head into Chapter 16 and decide new pairings.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Greenking77 posted:

Lol the Akane and Brigitta support was a very pleasant surprise.

There's more to come! The thread wanted Akane to have a friend after all, and I suppose I should try to write some of my own if I'm gonna be here reading all these supports anyways.

Malah posted:

The smiling maid edit is unsettling, so fantastic work there.

Outside of the work on the eyes and eyebrows, the smile is actually modified from Kaden's grin. I think it worked out too, yeah.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 16, 2023

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Lodestar is a funny class, but Great Lord is downright ludicrous.

This DLC is kind of cute but largely because I'm intensely nostalgic for Awakening. What a good video game. It's worth noting that even Frederick's Great Knight class is actually fully unique and not the same one, say, Gunter uses.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

And to think I'd just started playing Awakening again on a whim.

Did we leave Akane behind so she couldn't escape into an alternate dimension?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Faillen Angel posted:

Lodestar is a funny class, but Great Lord is downright ludicrous.

This DLC is kind of cute but largely because I'm intensely nostalgic for Awakening. What a good video game. It's worth noting that even Frederick's Great Knight class is actually fully unique and not the same one, say, Gunter uses.

Great Lord's final skill is ridiculous, yeah. I noticed that Fred was in his original armor, but I didn't realize it was an entirely unique iteration of Great Knight.

The nostalgia hit is real, I've run enough Awakening Ironmans to be nostalgic for a lot of the music. Hearing the intro piece again at the end is pretty neat.

LJN92 posted:

And to think I'd just started playing Awakening again on a whim.

Did we leave Akane behind so she couldn't escape into an alternate dimension?

It was the DLC that got the most votes, but Fate(s) is funny like that sometimes. The runner up was the Witch's Trial.

It is kinda suspicious how Akane only gets brought for main missions, huh?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Just handing in a status update on the vote. Currently the standings are:

Great Lord Promotion:
Tie between Mozu and Hana

Lodestar Promotion:
Arthur, runner up keep it and wait

Selena Promotion:
Hero (but Bow Knight was in an early lead)

Charlotte Promotion:
Berserker by a wide margin

The coming update will be a pile of supports, pretty much.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 46: Therapy Day (Intermission 2, Part B)

We return to a pile of supports, mixed between some few that had been asked for, and some random ones.

But first, any level ups.

Felicia hits level 17: MAG, SKL, LCK. It's not amazing, but she's trying her best. :)

Nyx hits 12 with an unimpressive but usable MAG, SPD.

Map 1 done.

rice

Anna and Arthur finally win once in the arena.

Anna immediately thinks about how she can profit from the hype.

We also upgrade the arena following this. This lets us double up on our bets to make better profit.

We head into the second grind, revisiting the site of Party Jesus's sacrifice.

Nyx hits 13 and gets HP, MAG, SPD, continuing to get levels that work, but do nothing for her frailty.

Arthur finally recieves the blessing of justice, netting a great level of HP, STR, SKL, DEF, and RES.

If only SPD was in there.

Not a lot of levels happen, these enemies don't reward a lot. Most of the time is spent grinding support points.

Behold, supports! Reina fans rejoice, there's a lot of her.

Felicia x Nyx - C [UGF]

Felicia once again searches for means to improve her maiding, and seeks to look through Nyx's personal library. Nyx is rather impressed by Felicia's self drive and lack of desire to seek dark magic to solve her problems.

Reina x Orochi - B [ESSM]

In which we learn of Reina's inciting incident that started her on her bloodthirsty path, and Orochi's attempts at intervention prove somewhat successful.

The timing of this alongside Gunter's is painting quite the sidestory.

Oboro x Orochi - C [ESSM]

Orochi's counseling continues as she takes up the case of solving Oboro's reflexive deathglare that has once again frightened more children.

Oboro x Reina - C [ESSM]

Oboro finds Reina at a local mourning festival, and the conversation takes an unexpected turn in discovering how small the world can be sometimes.

In the process we also learn of Reina's lost fiancee. That is with two "e"s, this is Gay Fates after all.

Mozu x Reina - C [UGF]

Mozu is caught petting Miss Reina's kinshi, and the conversation quickly turns to that of her old war wound.

Mozu stubbornly insists on making her some medicine, leaving Reina to reflect on the country girl she once knew.

Shura x Saizo - C [Uncoded/ESSM]

Saizo continues his habit of antagonizing everyone by attacking Shura, looking to test how much his ninja skills have deteriorated. Shura is understandably unhappy and very tersely explains that he had to abandon being a ninja if he was ever to survive on the streets in Nohr.

Shura x Keaton - C [UGF]

The two guys with equally white and black hair meet up, and Keaton also puts in effort to try and get him to be less of a loner.

To Keaton's dismay, they don't get to compare bones before Shura leaves.
(get your head out of the gutter)

Saizo x Kaden - C [Uncoded/ESSM]

Saizo stalks Kaden, currently gaining intel on a missing Hoshidan noblewoman- the case implicating kitsune. He doesn't necessarily think Kaden did it, but he remains distrustful nonetheless.

Kaden's kinda annoyed at this, and while he claims to not know anything about the situation, he tells Saizo to look into his "victim" a bit more before pointing fingers.

Mozu x Oboro - A [ESSM]

Mozu's night of styling proves to bear fruit and she gets her time in the fashion spotlight, but finds herself somewhat depressed afterwards.

Oboro manages to get her to believe in her own body image, and that it's the model that makes the clothes, not the other way around.

These two now can get married, although for some reason it's gotten slightly broken somewhere and will only still A+ them. I can still post the support if we do choose to have them get hitched.

Keaton x Kaden - A [ESSM]

Keaton and Kaden continue their hiking adventures to find the grove of beautiful creatures. In time they do!

...It goes a bit differently than either side expected though,

This also means these two can now get married if the thread so decides.

Arthur x Shura - C [ESSM]

Arthur has heard of Shura's past evildoing ways and seeks to aid him in redemption. A worthy task of the bringer of justice, but will his luck prove an obstacle?

I'm surprised Shura considers Corndog to be "normal".

Arthur x Benny - C [ESSM]

Much akin to Oboro's murderface problems but inverted, Arthur seeks to help Benny wih his fierce mien. There's surely no way this could end poorly, right?

Felicia x Flora - B

Felicia confronts her sister, feeling that she's mad at her. Flora assures her this isn't the case, but Felicia has lived with her long enough to know otherwise.

Felicia x Selena - A [ESSM]

Felicia and Selena finally have a long heart to heart after an awkward silence between them after last time. Felicia's learned to believe in herself now and deeply respects Selena for helping her get to that point, and Selena still feels guilty about their first meeting. She can't help but mentally compare Felicia to an old friend of hers.

The two end the very blushy conversation becoming very close friends.

They can get married now if the thread wants, but I do have to mention that their support progress broke when I updated the mod. It'll take some time for me to actually get them to S again mechanically, but I will post the S support as soon as it happens, if it does.

Nyx x Sakura - C [Uncoded/ESSM]

Nyx suffers a wound after a run in with some mercenaries, and refuses Sakura's help. The latter is initially confused, believing Nyx to be around her age, but lets her go as she's that intimidating to her.

Nyx x Selena - C [ESSM]

Selena inquires about Nyx's age, trying to figure out if she's a manakete like Tiki or Nowi. Nyx assures her that this isn't the case, and turns the conversation around on Selena with the knowledge that she isn't Nohrian.

Selena quickly bails from the conversation, perhaps unconvincingly.

Nyx x Flora - C [ESSM]

Flora goes for a walk in the woods to clear her mind and mistakes Nyx for being lost. Nyx is actually just out here to practice magic alone, as usual, and the conversation eventually shifts to Flora's regrets regarding her past actions.

Keaton x Benny - B [ESSM]

Keaton continues to show Benny his collection of morbid curiosities, leading Benny to wonder if Keaton's just pulling a prank on him. Keaton assures him that he's not scared of him at all, citing many things he finds more scary.

Benny is left thinking about how Keaton hardly seems like a wolf sometimes.

Selena x Flora - C [ESSM]

Selena tries to get her chores done, but frustratingly discovers that Flora has done all of them for her already, without really asking. Though a similar case to her problems with Jakob, Flora more readily realizes how this all went sour.

Selena x Sakura - C [Uncoded/ESSM]

Selena eliminates a thief running off with jewelry, but it ends up having been a much tougher battle than she expected. Sakura finds her just as she's finally limped her way to camp and sets about healing her, it also being a sort of first meeting between the two.

This one was kind of a rough draft in the only condition I could find it, so I had to touch it up myself. I retained the general original plot, I just cleaned up typos and restructured some of the dialogue to fit better.

...Hope you don't mind, original author person, wherever you are.

Anyways, that's all for this time. Took way longer than I thought it would. Next time, we get back to the plot and to the next support vote.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I did want to note that the update is on it's way, it'll just be out sometime tomorrow alongside the next voting round. It's been a rough week for a lot of reasons.

The results of the mini vote were this, by the way:

Lodestar: Arthur
Great Lord: Hana (narrowly beating out Mozu)

Selena -> Hero
Charlotte -> Berseker

Time will tell if promotion bonuses will help Hana recover from her mediocre start, and if swords and a heroic cloak will let Arthur truly deliver justice.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 47: Who's Gonna Stop The Fire (Chapter 16- White Flames, Part A)

We finally approach the actual plot.

To recap, our super abridged versions of Birthright and Conquest are over and we learned from another wise figure (who died immediately after as usual) that all the fancy weapons make the Fire Emblem when combined.

Now our time to futz about is up and the great change in the skies is about to happen. This means it's time for us to go back to the Bottomless Canyon and hope our big brothers decide to join us in jumping down a hole.

Chapter 16 -
White Flames

Music: Time of Retribution

We fade into the sight of Nohrian troops led by Berserkers fighting a line of Hoshidan troops and Swordmasters. A familiar face leads them.

*Hit noises as they clash*

YUKIMURA: No Nohrian attack can break through my defenses!

YUKIMURA: Lord Ryoma entrusted me with aiding Lady Hinoka in protecting this castle. Even if it costs me my life, I will not fail!

RYOMA: Don't worry, Yukimura! I've returned!

*Ryoma and Scarlet fly in, wiping out two of the Nohrian commanders.*

YUKIMURA: Lord Ryoma!

RYOMA: Two down... Up for more, Scarlet?

SCARLET: Oh, you bet I am!

*We then awkwardly fade to black as I suppose it's assumed they wipe the rest of the Nohrians.*

Music: Pale Star

YUKIMURA: Lord Ryoma! I'm so glad to see you've returned unharmed.

RYOMA: It's good to be back. I'm sorry that you had to care for everything for so long.

SCARLET: Hey there, those glasses of yours are pretty sharp! Any chance you could point me toward wherever I could get a pair?

YUKIMURA: What? Who are you?

Scarlet has priorities. High on the list is fashion.

RYOMA: Ah, I forgot to introduce her.

RYOMA: This is Scarlet. She was part of a resistance group in Nohr. We became friends in Cheve, and she's returned with me to lend a hand.

RYOMA: Some of her fighters have come, as well. They'll help defend Castle Shirasagi.

SCARLET: Glad to meet you!

YUKIMURA: Ahh, yes... The pleasure is all mine...

RYOMA: By the way, Yukimura, I ran into Corndog in Nestra...

YUKIMURA: Lady Corndog made it all the way there?

RYOMA: Indeed. She asked me to join her in trying to end the fighting.

YUKIMURA: ...She said the same thing to me when we met at Fort Jinya. She said that, if I wanted to help her, I should meet her at the Bottomless Canyon.

YUKIMURA: She also said I had to be there before the skies over Hoshido and Nohr change color.

YUKIMURA: Corndog claimed there was more, but that she wasn't able to share it...

RYOMA: Huh... So she told us the same thing... I don't think it's in Corndog's nature to lie. And there's a leadership quality about her that just attracts followers.

RYOMA: I remember being jealous of her as a child, in fact. Even at such a young age, she displayed the characteristics of a ruler.

RYOMA: Silly to be jealous of her, right?

SCARLET: Lord Ryoma...

Even from a young age, Corndog's infectious cult-hit personality was present.

RYOMA: I wonder if that played a part in my transgression against her.

SCARLET: What do you mean?

RYOMA: The day that the Nohrians came and kidnapped Corndog... I was there. If I had been stronger, I could have been able to stop them.

RYOMA: I failed in my duty as an older brother. I knew it then, and I still feel that pain. And I can't be sure that I tried my hardest...because of that jealousy.

YUKIMURA: You mustn't feel that way! That event was out of your control. You were very young then, and even if you'd been as strong as you are now...

YUKIMURA: It's impossible to think you could have changed the outcome that day.

RYOMA: I know, Yukimura... But I still believe that I need to come to terms with these feelings.

RYOMA: Which is why I'm going to head to the Bottomless Canyon.

RYOMA: I've decided that I trust Corndog and will fight for her cause. That is the only way I feel I can make up for failing to protect her.

SCARLET: Ryoma, I won't ask you to explain any further.

SCARLET: But if you're gonna go fight for Corndog, I'll join you.

RYOMA: Thank you, Scarlet.

So Big Hair Brother feels guilt that Corndog got taken as a kid and his like 8 year old self couldn't do sick flips to beat Garon.

We should remember that Ryoma's dad, King Sumeragi, was also there and died brutally in front of him at the hands of Bad Dad. But the abduction of Corndog is obviously the most important part of that whole thing, yeah. That's a regret you carry for life.

(I suppose it's also possible that Sumeragi was in fact, not a Good Dad, but up to this point his death was considered regrettable. The guilt is understandable in general, I'm just noting that this is, again, all about Corndog.)

*A face we haven't seen in a really long time also finally shows up!*

HINOKA: Hello, Ryoma.

RYOMA: Hinoka. I see you've done an excellent job protecting the castle.

RYOMA: I'm sorry to do this to you, and I know I just arrived, but I must leave again.

RYOMA: Corndog needs my help at the Bottomless Canyon. I want you to remain here with Yukimura and continue your de-

HINOKA: No, Ryoma. I'm going with you this time.

RYOMA: What?

HINOKA: I overheard you talking with Yukimura. You're not the only one who feels responsible for Corndog's kidnapping. You remember why I decided to learn how to use a naginata, right?

RYOMA: Of course. It was so that you could rescue Corndog someday...right?

HINOKA: Correct. I can't even describe how much I regretted not being able to protect Corndog. I kept thinking

HINOKA: But then, on that day when she chose not to side with either kingdom...

HINOKA: I felt so betrayed. We'd only just gotten her back, and she was turning on us. I was so stunned by her decision, I again couldn't act to change things...

*She steps forward.*

HINOKA: But I've had time to think, and now I know for sure-I'm going to help her.

HINOKA: I want to show Corndog that I believe in her. As her older sister, I want to be with her until the end.

RYOMA: ...

RYOMA: Somehow, I'm not surprised that stubbornness runs in this family. Sorry, Yukimura. Looks like you'll be handling the castle's defense on your own.

YUKIMURA: Heh. You all cause me nothing but trouble.

YUKIMURA: Don't worry about the castle, Lord Ryoma. I'll make sure it's here when you return.

HINOKA: Thank you, Yukimura!

YUKIMURA: However, I do have one stipulation. You aren't allowed to complain if the castle isn't in the exact same condition.

YUKIMURA: No harm shall befall the throne room, of course. But I can't be so sure that the bedrooms, specifically yours, won't be blown to bits.

YUKIMURA: Anything can happen in war, you know.

HINOKA: Of c-course.

YUKIMURA: Also...

YUKIMURA: You must promise me that you will return. Hoshido needs its royal family.

HINOKA: Of course, Yukimura.

RYOMA: You have my thanks, Yukimura. I promise we will come back.

YUKIMURA: Then I wish you good hunting.

RYOMA: It's time to go. We haven't a moment to waste! The skies will change soon!

Our perspective moves from the Shirasagi Castle to the Lava Fields.

Bottomless Canyon

*Corndog and the Nohrian princesses, (the Wyvern Rider crew,) They stop and corndog looks around at the flaming wasteland before them.*

ELISE: Aw... There's no one else here...

TAKUMI: It looks like neither Ryoma nor Prince Xander were swayed to join us...

CAMILLA: Let's not give up yet. The skies above Nohr and Hoshido haven't completely changed.

*We get a view of the dark, cloudy, sunset sky contrasting against the dark crags of the canyon walls.*

AZURA: Still, there isn't a lot of time left.

AZURA: It's getting more difficult to see the difference between noon and night.

SAKURA: I never knew what it looked like when the skies changed...

AZURA: Hm? Someone's approaching.

Music: Advance Confusion

*Nearby our group and far to the north, groups of Nohrians arrive in an ambush! One of them is familiar too...!*

CORNDOG: That's...Hans and a Nohrian army!

TAKUMI: Instead of getting Prince Xander's cooperation, we get an assault!

CAMILLA: I can't believe he would do this!

CORNDOG: This...is your answer, Xander?

AZURA: Listen to me, Corndog. You must stay strong. We can't lose here, or all we've done will have been for nothing.

HANS: Follow me, you scum! We'll hurl the Hoshidans and traitors into the canyon!

*Camilla wipes some dudes...*

*Takumi wipes some dudes...*

*Then some misses occur and our units are pushed back as more units encroach.*

Music: Guest of Light

(The song actually starts about a minute or so in, making for more of a flourish to their intro.)

RYOMA: Don't get any closer! I won't let you lay a finger on my sister!

*Ryoma and Hinoka clear out two of the ambushers.*

CORNDOG: What?!

-obligatory nani here-

*And in comes Scarlet plus two new faces in the north.*

RYOMA: Sorry to keep you waiting, Corndog.

HINOKA: Don't worry-we've come to fight by your side!

SCARLET: Did you see the enemy army? This has all the looks of a fantastic battle!

CORNDOG: You all came!

SAKURA: Amazing! Even Hinoka is here!

TAKUMI: Victory is all but assured now.

AZURA: I'm so glad that you all decided to believe in us. In Corndog.

Let's quickly clean up the rest of the antagonist characters so we can jump down a hole! Yeah!

AZAMA: I apologize for interrupting this happy family reunion, Lady Hinoka...

AZAMA: ...but you have forgotten to introduce us, your loyal retainers.

CORNDOG: Huh? You are...?

AZAMA: I am called Azama. If you make foolish mistakes and injure yourselves, I can put you right.

SETSUNA: Um...

SETSUNA: I'm Setsuna. I'm good with...a bow.

SETSUNA: ...Azama... You are standing on my foot.

AZAMA: Ahaha! My apologies!

These two are a walking comedy duo. Azama loves to frustrate people and Setsuna is very much on her own wavelength.

HINOKA: As Azama said, these two are my retainers!

HINOKA: Don't judge them by appearances; they come through when it counts.

HINOKA: Corndog... After all this time, I'm finally with you. I'm happy that the two of us can fight side by side again.

CORNDOG: Thank you, Hinoka! Thanks to everyone who came!

RYOMA: We don't have time for a tearful reunion! We need to get into position!

Music: Those Who Visit

This map's gimmick is that the walls of fire change around on the map to open these enemy boxes- Dragon Veins are involved.

Hans isn't a slouch, but his 9 speed and Steel Axe + Tomahawk means he'll be doubled easily. Convince him to use the Steel Axe and he'll be easy pickings for even Hayato and Nyx.

All of our recruits are in the upper right- they're of varying talent. Here's a quick little overview, I'll put up summaries at the end of this chapter.

Ryoma is busted as usual, and has a free Master Seal on him.

Scarlet is also busted and comes with a Killer Axe and a Hand Axe. Her stats are great and her loadout + personal skill is fantastic.

Taking into account skills and level difference, Scarlet is on par if not overall maybe better than Corndog. That's saying something.

...But that's ignoring the passives from the Yato upgrades. I think the weapon skill levels to use the Killer Axe still puts her above.

Setsuna is joining at level 11 just because, but her SPD looks good at least.

Hinoka joins as a level 17 Sky Knight with the much-appreciated Guard Naginata.

Her STR isn't amazing, her SPD is as high as expected and the naginata makes her tanky DEF-wise and gives her an insane 28 RES.

She also only has 24 HP, but you can't win 'em all. She is a pegasus rider after all.

And Azama is a Monk (the men's version of Shrine Priestess). He has surprisingly decent combat stats and a high STR, he's just in the wrong class for it.

Still, he's tankier than the usual healer for level 13 and his personal skill lets him retaliate enemies that attack him. So that's pretty cool.

We get to deploy only 10 units, one of those being Corndog and 2 of those being Akane and Brigitta of whom I have a feeling that I shouldn't even ask if they're coming along.

Before we head to the vote, just a few little last preparatory things that may or may not change your votes.

Firstly, we get lucky and pick up an Odin's Grimoire (a kinda worse Mjolnir) and a Raider Axe (decent axe with +SPD on it).

Music: Rush (Light)

Then, Hana manages to take the Great Lord vote by a single entry more than runner-up Mozu. Will this very strong class help her struggling levels? We shall see.

At the very least there's inherent synergy between her carried over Vantage and the Great Lord's eventual Awakening skill, combining to superbuff her when she's below 50% HP and also guarantee that she strikes first when she is.

Music: Rush (Dark)

To perform great justice... we cosplay as Marth.

Next, Arthur promotes into Lodestar. His head looks a little big in this, but it makes him look a bit like an action figure which I think is appropriate. Can swords and some base SPD patch his greater weaknesses? Only time will tell.

Next, Charlotte promotes into Berserker, leaning all in on the aggression. She is full glass cannon and she has more clothing than she started with. Got herself some nice and fancy fur accents too.

Should not have taken me this long to get this out, but the whole skies changing thing waited a good couple of years already. It can be late by a few days. :v:

Anyways... voting time! Get to it!

>>>VOTING CAN BE FOUND HERE<<<

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This is also where 'characters join in the same class as their Birthright/Conquest version's' really start to slow them down. Like okay, Hinoka's close to promotion, and Azama is a healer so it's fine if you just Master Seal him now. But Setsuna... oof. She's kinda DOA even disregarding that Takumi's just better than her.

Probably talk more about them after the map when we actually get a closer look at them, but they're all units that are much better off in Birthright when you actually have more time to play with them. Hinoka is still kinda usable due to the lack of other pegs (Subaki is bleh), though Takumi could have promoted to fly at this point and Selena could change classes to it... but even then, if you need a flier, Camilla does most of it and can seal to Wyvern Lord to use lances without much change in combat potential.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Chapters like these really ram home how awkward the narrative is. Big dramatic ambush battle, and two quirky people have to force their character introductions into it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is also where 'characters join in the same class as their Birthright/Conquest version's' really start to slow them down. Like okay, Hinoka's close to promotion, and Azama is a healer so it's fine if you just Master Seal him now. But Setsuna... oof. She's kinda DOA even disregarding that Takumi's just better than her.

Probably talk more about them after the map when we actually get a closer look at them, but they're all units that are much better off in Birthright when you actually have more time to play with them. Hinoka is still kinda usable due to the lack of other pegs (Subaki is bleh), though Takumi could have promoted to fly at this point and Selena could change classes to it... but even then, if you need a flier, Camilla does most of it and can seal to Wyvern Lord to use lances without much change in combat potential.

Yeah, meanwhile where Hinoka, Azama, and Setsuna all recruit in like, chapter 7 of Birthright, we're getting them at 16 here and that doesn't do a lot for Setsuna. They could have made her a prepromote or put her at a similar level to Hinoka, but I guess not.

Hinoka at least has a niche application in mageslaying because my god that RES, but then again, mages are pretty rare as enemies.

LJN92 posted:

Chapters like these really ram home how awkward the narrative is. Big dramatic ambush battle, and two quirky people have to force their character introductions into it.

Fates has proven to be really imbalanced about it's application of comedic relief. I feel like Awakening was a lot better at this, but that's a very loaded sentiment because I haven't actually read Awakening's story in years. Skip button makes challenge runs a lot shorter.

I'm still waiting to see what the true Revelation content is once we jump into the hole. What has all this crammed and rushed content been building up to?

In other words, vote is closed off for now so I can get to recording.

There's a tie on Selena and Felicia marrying, so I'll just put it in a tentative section for now. It'll give me time to fix their broken support ranks. This is the most votes Hana has ever gotten I think, or at least she's one of the highest counts of votes for one character we've had. I guess we're really gonna see if she puts that new class to use.

Not a ton of supports either, but we are on the precipice of another big recruitment chapter after all.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Sheesh, this section of recording gave me more of run for my money than I expected. Setsuna was more useful than expected, among other unbelievable occurrences.

Next update might end up being delayed a bit, as with how much of a mess this week has been, I don't even have any progress on my BR2 updates. I am about as behind as I can be on my schedule.

Oh well. The next vote we hit is gonna be huge at least.

(i still ended up with like 20+ supports again, it never ends)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 48: The Tragic Cancelling of the Grease Duo (Chapter 16- White Flames, Part B)

On the list of equipment changes, I forge an Iron Shuriken +1 because we can, and a random item grab nets us Izana's Scroll (not pictured).

It's pretty a situational item as its special effect only doubles Mt not Atk, meaning it just makes it a 10 damage weapon on attack initiation. A Thunder +2 is almost equal and can still double, so...

It's pretty much an item to use only when you desperately need just a bit more damage,

Another interesting bit is that Sakura is a rather unique cook in that she continually experiments with different styles, seeming to randomly pick from any possible food flair. Thus, how she ends up creating Nohrian Sushi.

Our team is Corndog, Nyx, Shura, Azura, Mozu, Charlotte, Camilla, Hana, Flora, and Kagero. Hana was voted for by 7 out of 11 votes, and surprisingly Nyx is also here with 4 out of 11 votes.

> ...Hold on, isn't someone missing? Two people, maybe? <

Uh, anyways. We all know what Corndog truly cares more about than anything to do with the main plot. it's playing matchmaker with her army

I had to restart this map specifically twice thanks to Hana and Nyx being flimsy. Of course both also happened because of bad calculations and strategy on my part too, so I guess it's deserved.

And before I forget, congrats to the person who sent in comment that they got a cat recently. :golfclap:

AZURA: Corndog, there appears to be a large number of Dragon Veins in this area.

AZURA: It's possible that activating them will allow us to manipulate the flames...

I actually don't mind this map's gimmick. It can be rather neat at times and opens up some neat strategy, but my real complaint with it is that the changes in the firewall aren't signposted.

It's a defeat the boss map, though we're gonna treat it like a rout map anyways. Our music is...

Music: Alight
Music: Alight (Storm)

Which is the only time we'll hear this for a really long time, until we dip into the final bits of DLC, pretty much. It's a good song and really heightens the climactic aura of this battle.

...Not to say that it's very climactic overall thanks to pacing, but it helps.

Nyx/Kagero, Shura, and Camilla head up the left side of the map to join our new Hoshidan allies. Shura's going to pair with Ryoma and Camilla with Hinoka.

Shura's also a healer, a fact I forget constantly.

Hate it or love it, Nyx is actually pretty good for us when she's got a Mjolnir tome ready to go. Kagero giving her some SPD also helps her be faster than these enemies to start with.

Although, really any caster with Mjolnir and a passable SPD is an excellent unit, usually.

She hits 14 off this Fighter, netting SPD, DEF, and RES. I mean, I'll take any added bulk to her paper thin defenses. She's just got a problem where most of her stats are so polarized that you'll never really patch out all the issues.

Up north, we need to deal with enemies already on top of the older Hoshidan sibling crew. Hinoka's massive RES no-sells any magic users and she's a sufficient tank for us despite a low HP, but much of that comes from her signature Guard Naginata. It has pitiful damage, but grants +5 DEF and RES, which is crazy. It's also not exclusive to her, so feel free to trade it around to tank up your units as desired.

You can just hand the thing to Silas and he becomes an iron block on a horse.

And when I mean no-sells magic users, I mean completely no-sells them. This Sorcerer is a decent threat to our other units, but is nothing for Hinoka.

Scarlet pokes the nearby knight with a handaxe, opening way for Setsuna to get some EXP. Her start is very disadvantageous and underleveled with stats not very exceptional, but the raw power of yumi means she can still put in work.

She's actually not that much lower level than our Takumi, and her SPD is a lot higher and the STR difference not much.

...This is ignoring the fact he has a special legendary bow though.

And of course she misses so Ryoma has to pick it up on the assist. That sounds about right.

Back at the start, we're focusing on leveling Hana, so I set her up to not get doubled by the nearby Adventurer when she throws a Kodachi at him. It's easy to forget outside of it's usual application, but Azura's dance does provide a SPD buff among other things, and it's exactly what we need.

Mozu moves up behind her to back her up on the retaliation, Flora staying near Azura, and Corndog and Charlotte are the Strong Girl backup squad for when something goes wrong.

Worth mentioning that since her promotion, Charlotte shot up to being one of our best units, and hilariously lethal with the fish stick. I guess it's a good thing I accidentally powerleveled her.

Adventurer moves in.

Along with Hana's snazzy new Lucina cosplay, she also gets a full set of unique animations, including a smooth and casual throwing animation.

Her dodges are still needlessly high backflips, of course.

All around the map, some unpromoted units move in. There's a decent number of Adventurers, Knights, and the rare Berserker spread about here.

And for once, there's a surprisingly high population of enemy mages. They've only spent the game being nearly a non-existent threat.

Back on our turn, I realize my smart application of Azura's dance was unwarranted as I forgot I was playing the game where every enemy is eating a -3 SPD penalty for Steel weapons they insist on using.

Hana hits 13 on a map full of promotions and level 15 generics, netting HP, STR, MAG, SKL.

She's finally getting HP and STR, so that's good. She had crazy good levels on the first run, but alas.

She also immediately learns Dual Striker, the first skill for Great Lord. This boosts damage when she's in offensive pair-up.

A dance and separate combo gets Hana to the next enemy aggro range immediately.

It's worth noting that with the firewalls, if they're not active, you can walk through their tile but you cannot stand on them. This creates all sorts of weird zoning, and is probably the only other part I'm not a fan of, just because it can obfuscate if an enemy is actually in range.

Across the map, Nyx misses another two crit chances and 1 hit. I swear, on the other runs she was dropping crits constantly, but I suppose it is always the less fun timeline that makes it through.

Having garbage SKL and LCK doesn't help, of course.

Setsuna is surprisingly capable of deleting enemy Knights, though she does start 1 point of strength off truly one-rounding them.

(This guy just took another handaxe from Scarlet on enemy phase.)

SETSUNA: Oh! It's dead.

Setsuna isn't particularly bothered by anything. She also doesn't gender her enemies apparently.

She hits 12 with a bleh level of HP, SKL, and LCK. Previous runs also had better levels on Setsuna.

Our left side team joins up and safely draws aggro from across the wall.

Shura is specifically using a nifty bow I don't remember picking up, the Sidelong Yumi. It's weak, -5 SPD, and can't double, which is a lot of downsides, but it can attack in melee range.

Given it's so weak too and only hits once, Shura can use it pretty effectively to lure in and weaken enemies even in melee despite his high stats.

He outlevels everyone so much that he doesn't even gain chip EXP.

Hinoka cleans up Nyx's mistake.

Down south, Hana's training continues. Great Lord helped make many of her currently flawed stats more tolerable, but she is still a bit squishy.

Some other enemies move around, but then...!

Many of the firewalls vanish!

AZURA: Look at that! The flames changed!

AZURA: There must be a set interval for when they burst and fade.

I wish they would visibly show which ones would fade, maybe by having their fire weaken, so that you at least have a turn's worth of prep.

Still the shifting walls makes some interesting scenarios that I imagine are more annoying on higher difficulties, but prove a fun challenge here. In this case, the corridor we were herding enemies down has suddenly vanished alongside many of it's neighboring walls.

For us at least, we have enough power over here to clear out these enemies with little risk of being overrun. This is in part thanks to our efforts of weakening and sniping over the wall.

HINOKA: A good effort.

Down south presents us with a predicament not unlike what got Hana killed the first time. Easily resolved by just chucking our Strong Girl squad at them, but I want Hana and Mozu to get the wealth of the EXP here.

So we use Corndog to make the first use of the Dragon Veins on this map, just to disable the wall that appeared here. With this, Hana should be able to get two swordings in for good EXP.

Raider Katana proves it's immense worth once again by being our only means of doubling this Outlaw.

Hana's new finishing attack animation is a combination triple-stab which with combined with the impact screenshake and sounds is rather brutal.

HANA: This fight is over!

I'd say. That man is dead.

Then for some reason I didn't pack a festal on Flora so she was out of range to heal and I accidentall confirmed. At least I equipped the Pebble first.

She finishes off the wounded outlaw and hits 14.

HP, STR, SKL, DEF.

I never thought I'd see the day that our Hana would actually get HP, STR, and DEF in the same level.

She also picks up Charm from this, a +2 damage bonus to all allies within 2 tiles. This is arguably more substantial than Awakening's relatively unnoticeable +5 Hit and Avoid to all allies in 3 tiles.

Also the mage moves up and attacks Azura despite other targets in range having less RES. I guess her aggro priority is high as a dancer.

Guess what happens to him on our turn?

Hana is being absolutely escorted around over here by a personal healer, our powerful Mozu, a personal dancer, and 2 of our undeniably strongest units. The enemies ahead are some Knights and Generals, only one of them having a ranged weapon and I did pack an Armorslayer. (Corndog is right there with the convoy if I didn't.)

The only thing is that Hana's frailty is enough that we have to worry about her taking any hits from the Generals- they hit like steam trains.

Since Mozu is tankier, I set her up to take the incoming ranged hit and maybe clear them out.

Shura moves in towards the now open center to tank and intercept a number of incoming units. Something I'll be making a lot of good use of while we have more frail units on deck is dual guards. It's a run-saver for frail characters like Nyx, and it it also helps to get Hinoka to tank for us in a tricky spot later.

SETSUNA: Victory, victory!♫

Setsuna's just here, doing her thing.

NYX: Prepare to leave this realm!

Finally, thank you.

I always have the most inconsistent luck with Killer Weapons.

Enemy phase happens and a good number of enemies are going to push in. I accidentally put Hinoka in range so she pulled one of the mages meant for Shura to weaken. If I was to change one thing about how I did this map, I'd pack a javelin for Hinoka and a lighter yumi for Setsuna.

Shura tanks. He's quite good at it.

It's not to say that we don't have our own incoming problems though.

If Hana was a bit stronger then she might be able to risk jumping into this horde of armors with her Armorslayer and Vantage, but it's not enough currently. They didn't even attack Mozu yet, so we back up a bit and repeat that plan down here.

At 25 Hana will get Aether, improving her survivability though not that reliably. At 35, she'll get Awakening and she'll basically be unbreakable.

Now then, to deal with this giant mess. Luckily, the map provides for us.

I get Shura out of the box he was about to be left inside and have Hinoka hit up this Dragon Vein.

This wall plus the position she's in now creates an immediate chokepoint. Hinoka's not *that* durable with her max HP, mind, but she can hold this with a defensive pairing protecting her from offensive pairs and providing dual guard.

NYX: So young, so foolish!

Nyx continues to clean up enemy dark mages.

She hits 15. She gets SKL.

... I mean, it's a stat she needs, but also too little too late and also I'd rather have other stats.

Generals move in and prove their terrifying STR. It plays the panic music for Setsuna here as it doesn't factor in pair-ups with it.

Mozu and Hana hold off their General in the south.

More enemies push in, and nearly every wall flares up.

On our turn, Flora pebbles a General.

Up north, Nyx tries to clear out a general but misses a shot and misses both crits.

Azama can take a hit and reflect some damage, so he moves up to heal his boss.

Mozu and Hana push in on the approaching armors. These two got stuck here by the flames on the turn transition...

...Unfortunately for them :black101:

HANA: With all my strength!

The duo's thorough thrashing nets a double level. Hana hits 15 with STR, SKL, SPD, LCK...

And Mozu hits 17 with SKL, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES.

Pretty good!

Enemy turn, Setsuna guards for Azama anyways.

Hinoka continues to stonewall...

Nyx hits 16 with HP and RES, which is normally bad for most, but for her, it's a little bit of bulk and I'll take it.

Some healing and clearing happens...

And back down south, Hana continues her rampage.

Azura hits 23 from a dance, netting STR, SKL, SPD, LCK.

She remains wet paper, but those attack stats remain temptingly high. If only there was a longbow in this game with 3 range.

There is the Spy Shuriken at 3 range, but it also can't double, so RIP any use of that SPD stat.

A note that Hana could have flexed on both of these guys with Vantage... if she had just 1 more point of STR, DEF, or HP.

As is, I just used a dual-guard to pull it off.

Hana hits 16 and STR, SPD, DEF, RES are granted to her. Just a mite late, but a great level!

Hinoka continues to stonewall, and hits 18- her first level. STR, MAG, SKL, LCK, DEF. Pretty good!

HINOKA: I won't lose!

Older sister squad is really just shutting down all these enemies. This was a 5% crit.

The walls shift again, leaving an adventurer alone for later.

There's still like half a map to go, so I should speed this up.

There's only one left up here, so Kagero switches in and pincushions him so Hinoka can take it.

Flora levels to 11 off a heal, netting a modest STR, and SPD.

Turn 9, more wall changes.

Our north group moves up, Azama gets his first level off a heal. HP, STR, MAG, SPD, LCK, RES.

Way more than he needed to get. Most excellent.

Both sides move up to pull in aggro.

HANA: Fantastic!

Hana making good use of the Killing Edge for us.

Hana was going to take out the other Berserker after getting danced, but then I luckily noticed the nearby Adventurer has a droppable Killer Bow! On one hand, we finally get one.

On the other hand, I was one action away from Hana or Flora getting crit to death.

Hana hits 17 off this, netting HP, STR, SKL, DEF, RES. Since there's so many promotes on this map, our lower level units get anywhere from 50 - 80 EXP per kill.

This means Flora has to take the Berserker EXP, but at least it's not wholly wasted on her. In hindsight, it'd probably be better to give it to Charlotte since we don't worry too much about Flora getting EXP, being a healer and all.

Setsuna finishes off the Adventurer she was dealing with and gets a miserable level of just SPD. At least it's in her best stat.

Shura tanks a Berserker. This isn't noticeable outside of the fact there's that little 1% Crit chance. That's why I'm afraid of these guys. At some some point it's gonna happen.

Oh, and there's a surprise wave of reinforcements. It's just 3 assorted Nohrian axe dudes, buy 2 get promoted free.

Setsuna gets a level off the berserker as we wall up against the reinforcements.

Level 14: Skl, SPD, LCK. Her levels have not been great.

On the right side, Flora tanks a Sorc and pebbles him. The pebble is genuinely just good for weakening without risk of annihilating the target.

The walls change again, reminding us that that one adventurer remains left alone for no particular reason.

Enemies get cleaned up.

Hinoka hits 19 with a depressing level of only SKL. Some really bad levels in this update.

Flora does her part at making up for our bad level luck so far. Lv: 12, HP, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES. Quite good.

Hana gets level 18 and nets STR, SKL, and LCK. She's still a bit flimsy, but we want to see her get lots of SKL and LCK for Astra and Awakening later.

This Berserker was the last one left near Hans.

Setsuna tries to farm EXP off the remaining Adventurer, but they have a duel of misses.

Setsuna levels off of chip damage on the next turn, She hits 15 and gets...

STR.

cool

Time passes as their duel for the ages continue. Whatever happens with the firewalls at this point doesn't really matter.

And it ends anticlimactically with us getting a Mend staff.

We can now finally move on to Hans. Hans is in a unique position as a move-locked FE boss as he possesses both a 1 range weapon and a 2 weapon. That's non-inclusive, by the way. Tomahawk only works at range.

This means he can be clowned on in both melee and at range!

Music: Squirm in the Dark

HANS: Bwahahaha! I hope you're all prepared to die!

HANS: Actually...I don't care if you're ready or not. The more of you I kill, the better the promotion I'll get as a reward.

HANS: Earl Hans... No... Duke Hans... Yes, that has a nice ring to it.

The Tomahawk is absolutely massive by the way.

My choice of using the Raider Katana here wasn't to dunk on Hans, it was mostly just leaving it to fate if I let Hana get the EXP off an 11% crit.

So Hinoka gets it. This gets her to nearly level 20.

HANS: Gah...

HANS: To die to the...likes of you... I can't...stand it...

rip in pieces, greasy man #2

(Oh, and we get the Tomahawk too.)

And so we're done in 15 turns. I honestly didn't mind the gimmick, it worked out pretty well. Provided, I didn't get trapped by the walls at any point and was always in range to change the walls when I needed to.

If the walls signaled a change on next turn, I'd have no complaints.

---------------------------NEW UNITS----------------------------

Ryoma, Crown Prince of Hoshido
"The eldest prince of Hoshido. Wields the legendary blade Raijinto."

Reclass Options: Sky Knight

Personal Skill- Bushido:
When user is the lead unit, if their Level is higher than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2

Base Growths + Class Growths
HP___ STR__ MAG__ SKL__ SPD___ LCK__ DEF___ RES
50 ____45 ____00 ____50 ____45 ____40 ___35 _____25
10 ____10 ____05 ____15 ____20 ____15 ___00 _____10

(A reminder that Raijinto is 11 Mt, adds +5 STR while in possession, and has ranged attacks. I)

Ryoma is a prebuilt god unit. He's not "that" tanky, but his ability to dodge is rather high, and anything he touches should go down easily. His growths aren't exceptional a particular aspect, but generally good across the board. At the least, 60% HP total is good for what is normally a more flimsy class type. Just don't expect him to be a mage.

Bushido even lets you make him stronger by having a lower level buddy around. Sky Knight is an odd reclass to me, as you'd really want to keep his sword skill, though his stats are competent enough for another class. Perhaps it's more personal? Was Mikoto a peg/kinshi rider?

Anyways, what more is there to say about him as a character? We've seen enough of him already.

------------------------------------------------

Hinoka, Eldest Hoshidan Sister
"A warrior princess of Hoshido who is straightforward and lacks refinement."

Reclass Options: Spear Fighter

Personal Skill- Rallying Cry:
Allies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 extra damage

45 ____45 ____15 ____40 ____45 ____40 ___35 _____40
00 ____10 ____00 ____10 ____15 ____20 ___00 _____20

Hinoka's main weakness seems to be her low max HP, but that's pretty common for Peg Knights as just a class thing. Her RES is massive though, and her signature Guard Naginata helps to bulk her up a lot. Her growths are quite good all things considered, but it's pretty typical for what you'd expect from a Peg.

Regardless, she joins at a usable level and is very good at mageslaying and has B rank spears from the start. Rallying Cry is just built-in Charm which I can't complain about, and her personal class is a natural switch.

As a character, she gets the worst treatment of the royals in Revelation's storyline. She is nearly forgotten by the plot until this chapter, despite being the first character you meet in the game. Anyways, she's our tomboy princess who is generally pretty level-headed and regrets not being able to save Corndog as a child. From what I know, she's probably one of the most normal people in the army.

Scarlet, Nohrian Resistance Leader
"A daring dragon rider fighting with the resistance in Cheve."

Reclass Options: Outlaw, Knight

Personal Skill- In Extremis:
When user’s HP is under a quarter, Critical rate +30

30 ____45 ____20 ____40 ____45 ____40 ___35 _____40
10 ____15 ____00 ____15 ____10 ____05 ___20 _____00

Scarlet's got a solid enough growth line with a respectable lead in STR, SPD, and DEF, all my favorite stats. 40% natural RES is nothing to scoff at either. She arrives quite usable and pretty much on par with our Corndog in most respects, so I can't complain at all.

Her personal skill is situational, but it has it's applications if you can get her Vantage somehow. +30% crit is a terrifying number. Her reclasses are a bit odd, I imagine just to provide more class options to the Birthright Route. Still, she can carry over weapon skill directly to General or Great Knight,

Scarlet's proven to just be generally fun with an eye for fashion, but she has her warrior side as well, though maybe not as bloodthirsty as other units. Two voting comments have brought up her S support with Corrin, and yes, it is possibly the most Corndog support that I know of.

Still, no votes to pair them have actually come in.

Azama, Sharp Tongued Monk
"Hinoka's retainer who was raised at a shrine. Sociable, but with an acerbic wit."

Reclass Options: Apothecary

Personal Skill- Divine Retribution:
When user doesn’t have a weapon equipped and they sustain damage from an adjacent enemy, the enemy receives half the same damage.

50 ____50 ____20 ____40 ____45 ____40 ___40 _____20
00 ____05 ____10 ____10 ____15 ____15 ___00 _____20

Azama's gimmick is that he's got some pretty strong physical fighter growths held back by being a non-combatant. At the very least a big MAG score isn't needed to use Sun Festals and he is tankier than the average healer. This is remedied when he promotes into Great Master, which gets spears (Shrine Maidens get bows on promotions).

His personal skill is strong, but odd to use. It's mostly an incidental thing, but I'm sure there's something you could do with it. His reclass is mostly good if you want to get him out of healing completely, and Merchant lets him keep what spear skill he might have gotten from Great Master.

Azama is a guy who is sarcastic and frustratingly casual- it's hard to push his buttons, he pushes yours. Expect to see him annoying anyone he supports with at their comedic expense. The only character he kinda can't win with is...

Setsuna, Oblivious Retainer
"One of Hinoka's retainers. A noble who seems calm and capable but is very clumsy."

Reclass Options: Ninja

Personal Skill- Optimist:
When user is healed by a staff, they recover 1.5 times the normal HP

30 ____20 ____00 ____30 ____60 ____30 ___15 _____40
10 ____15 ____00 ____15 ____15 ____05 ___10 _____00

Setsuna's growths are... something. She's subpar everywhere but SPD, having the highest among the Hoshidans, and her RES is pretty decent for a base growth. But SPD is all she's got. The high base power of bows patches her STR, and she's okay at shooting mages, but she needs some work at a first glance.

Her personal skill is... a thing? It pairs well with Azama's lower MAG, I guess? Maybe it helps make Wane Festals and Lanterns heal noticeably better at range. Her reclass is probably more for Mechanist, which gets to keep bow use.

As a character, she is deeply oblivious and on her own wavelength. She loses things all the time, mistakes insults for compliments, and frequently falls into traps. She's apparently a spoiled noble's daughter, but that's only come up in one support thus far.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 9, 2023

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

And so Hans dies a fitting death.

And Akane gets to sit out the fighting in the worst way possible.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Bench Ryoma imo, I hate his hair and the mechanical/narrative favoritism (but the hair is worse).

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Do the mods you've installed change the availability of any units other than Flora? There's one here I intended to use but didn't because their availability was rather poor.

Odd Wilson posted:

And before I forget, congrats to the person who sent in comment that they got a cat recently. :golfclap:

Winston is very friendly and very dumb.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

And Akane gets to sit out the fighting in the worst way possible.

It's the first time there was something worse than being pushed on the battlefield. She's probably overreacting, it can't be that bad, right?

mycatscrimes posted:

Bench Ryoma imo, I hate his hair and the mechanical/narrative favoritism (but the hair is worse).

The only thing that determines if we take someone is if they get voted for, so it could happen! I didn't really say it, but Ryoma's in sort of the same place as Shura is, too strong to worry about funneling EXP into. At the moment, even if we do take him, he's on mistake cleanup duty or is just weakening enemies with a brass katana/ kodachi.

Enough votes for even someone like Kaze or Hayato, some of our most underused units, and I'll still take them. I mean, even Rat Kid is comparable and equal level to a unit we'll recruit soon. Because, yes, the game is still going to give us characters barely above level 10 for some reason.

ajkalan posted:

Do the mods you've installed change the availability of any units other than Flora? There's one here I intended to use but didn't because their availability was rather poor.

Winston is very friendly and very dumb.

That's a good cat right there.

It's only Flora as it was pretty much bundled with Gay Fates. Fuga is unfortunately going to be a long time off still, but at some point I might be able to see if I can save-edit the Hot Springs to level 3 early and see if that works.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Holy crap, turns out turning Hana into a Lord was what the doctor ordered for her stat growths!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Odd Wilson posted:

The only thing that determines if we take someone is if they get voted for, so it could happen! I didn't really say it, but Ryoma's in sort of the same place as Shura is, too strong to worry about funneling EXP into. At the moment, even if we do take him, he's on mistake cleanup duty or is just weakening enemies with a brass katana/ kodachi.

Oh it wasn't a serious demand, I was just griping about him.

Also what a lovely kitty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

quote:

Two voting comments have brought up her S support with Corrin, and yes, it is possibly the most Corndog support that I know of.

Still, no votes to pair them have actually come in.

Consider this a vote to pair them as it's the most revelation support of all.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FoolyCharged posted:

Consider this a vote to pair them as it's the most revelation support of all.

Next voting session will be big, so that'll be the time to get it in.

On that note, no update this week, it's a big one in the works. I've also been mega busy so it worked out. I barely got the BR2 update done in time.

Not far off from the biggest set of votes yet, it'll be the update after next.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 16, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 49: Time to Jump In a Big Hole (Chapter 16- White Flames , Part C)

*We return to the Fates crew, with Corndog, Ryoma, Takumi, Camilla, and Azura now in the barren wasteland near the chasm. Intermittent thunder roars and lightning flashes.*

CORNDOG: We did it... We won. The battle is over.

AZURA: No, don't relax just yet. It's not quite finished.

CORNDOG: What?

AZURA: Look over there.

Music: Endless Nightmare

(This isn't exactly the track that plays here, but 1. I couldn't find it after searching through my whole copy of the soundtrack and 2. the playlist I was using may or may not have been slammed with copyright.)

*The camera pans to reveal many Nohrian troops in the withered forest to the south!*

*And more promoted units...!*

*And even more! In a fortress at the bottom... is a familiar face.*

CORNDOG: Is that...Iago?!

CORNDOG: Nohr sent his army after us, too?!

IAGO: Oh... So Hans failed? That's a shame.

IAGO: He made for a pretty good pawn. At least he softened up Corndog's army for me.

IAGO: Well, time to get started.

Well, I guess we weren't gonna get to move on until we cleaned up the last of the greasy two.

Chapter 17-
Black Flames

...Oh?

CORNDOG: Jeez, there are so many of them! Do we need to retreat and regroup?

AZURA: I don't think we can afford to flee. If we run away, we may not be able to fight our way back to the Bottomless Canyon...

CORNDOG: Then our only choice is to stay and fight! But are we digging our own graves here? This can't be how everything ends. We've come so far...

RYOMA: Don't worry, Corndog. We'll be all right.

CORNDOG: Ryoma... I'm just not sure.

RYOMA: Listen, Corndog.

RYOMA: I didn't come all this way just to die or turn tail and run. Everyone here has come to fight with you because they believe in you. Including me.

RYOMA: Cast off your worries. No matter how dire things look, you must fight on. The Yato chose you to carry it. I know you can do this.

CORNDOG: Thank you, Ryoma. All right! We don't have a choice!

CORNDOG: Everyone, prepare for battle!

Music: Those Who Visit

...Oh. I see. There's uh... no support option, or a save button. The exit button is greyed out.

Alright, I see you, Revelation.

Update 49: Nohr Rest For the Wicked (Chapter 17-Black Flames , Part A)

Let's do this then.

This map ups the ante by including a LOT more promoted units than the last one, and terrifyingly, a lot of magic promotes. The center forest has a group of Strategists and Dark Knights.

This Faceless also freezes units it punches, which is annoying.

The southern side of the map is basically plastered in units, and more intimidatingly, there's two bow knights and a strategist set up on ballistas and fire orbs.

(Also, I misjudged fire orbs before, they are just magic ballistas.)

Also, like, almost the only enemy Troubadours we've ever seen.

Our team for this will be Corndog, Charlotte, Flora, Keaton, Kaden, Rinkah, Camilla, Oboro, Azama, Silas. This team is built off the support requests from last chapter. We're gonna need tanks anyways.

It's also a seize map, though that doesn't change much.

...Wait, wasn't Xander and co. supposed to show up or something?

Uh.

Music: Vanity Judge

Music: Vanity Judge (Roar)

Anyway, here's our music for this.

Silas and Azama move south, the former ready to tank it up with the Guard Naginata. The dog boys and Camilla/Oboro move down as well.

Rinkah moves in range on the east, Corndog, Charlotte, and Flora present for backup. She's a decent bit underleveled, but her DEF is good enough.

Silas tanks an incoming knight...

And a Strategist moves in from the forest to tap him with a weak magic hit.

Rinkah fails to crit with the Killer Axe on an incoming horse dude. More specifically, she misses in general.

Some enemies move up, but then...!

A group of 2 Generals and 3 knights reinforce the western side!

Then a pile of cavaliers, Paladins, and Great Knights pour out of the forts on the left!

CORNDOG: What's this? More enemy reinforcements?! How many soldiers can there possibly be?

CORNDOG: Things are looking bad...

Gods, if only our other brother wasn't so brainwashed he abandoned us!

???: Don't worry, Corndog. We'll get you through this.

???: Jeez, you really can't get anything done without our help, can you?

CORNDOG: What? Wait a minute, I know those voices. Could it really be...

*As the thunder flashes, our attention is brought to the northeast area of the map, where Corndog is.*

Music: Guest of Shade

XANDER: It looks like we arrived just in time.

LEO: You must have the devil's luck, Corndog.

CORNDOG: Xander! Leo!

The brothers are here! Who could've seen this twist of events?!

(also leo is still trying to make that catchphrase work)

XANDER: We fight together, Corndog. I'm sorry it took us this long to join you...

LEO: Iago's forces will prove no match for me. I'll crush them in the blink of an eye. I've never liked his illusory magic...

LEO: It will be a pleasure to remove him permanently from the Nohrian army.

CORNDOG: So, his forces didn't come here on your orders...

CORNDOG: But I still don't get it. What made you change your mind?

XANDER: We'll talk more later, Corndog. We don't have much time left before the skies change.

XANDER: We have to combine our strength and clear the way to victory!

CORNDOG: ...All right!

*The music goes silent.*

IAGO: It can't be... Lord Xander and Lord Leo have turned traitor?!

IAGO: *grumble* That's fine. They weren't the most easily manipulated of pawns...

IAGO: King Garon's grand plans must be accomplished no matter what.

IAGO: I'll strike down anyone in the way, be they royal blood or common peasants.

Iago's wrath is class indiscriminate. Respectable, but it's not gonna save him.

IAGO: The future holds no place for any of you!

This is a good wicked grin though.

Music: A Dark Fall (Storm)

Music: A Dark Fall (Fire)

And now the real music. It's some real good stuff, nice and tense for going up against overwhelming odds. The combat variation is some of the best yet.

That said, we will get overrun staying here, so we need to retreat backwards some. The nearby mass of dead trees and mountainside in the center make for a good spot to slow down the incoming assault.

Moving into the forest, the generic cavaliers pose zero danger to Rinkah.

Flora also helps to finish the Cavalier off. Rinkah narrowly missed doing this herself.

Leo and Xander arrive promoted and with good stats. While Leo can easily stand up to this horde, I want him on the side that will have more armors and casters, so off to the west he goes.

Xander's stats are as high as they were before. He's going to help the line here.

Charlotte stands nearby with the Tomahawk to intercept ranged attacks.

Camilla finishes the knight Silas blocked, getting level 4. HP, SPD, RES. Minimal, but good.

Oboro clears out the approaching Dark Knight.

The dog boys move up to take out the Strategist too. Their beastslaying will be really helpful against the magic units. We could have put them on the other side with all the horses, but they don't need to suck up every point of EXP over there or let alone die from winning too much.

The enemy phase starts and Keaton proves to be dodgy enough to have no trouble surviving.

RINKAH: You'll be cinders!

Rinkah holds her own, though she takes a lot of damage in the process. Mages hurt.

And there's a lot more incoming on both sides.

And even more in the north! But these are allied!

Music: Guest of Shade

ODIN: Phew... We finally...caught up...with you... Why... Why would you...leave us behind?

It's Owain Odin!

NILES: Ha... Perhaps our liege is a fan of seeing us suffer? I can understand.

It's the canonically bi guy with a cool eyepatch!

These two are Leo's retainers.

PERI: Bah! You all are so slow!

PERI: If I'd left a river of blood in my wake- like I normally do- you'd be swallowed by it!

LASLOW: Thank you for not leaving a river of blood for us, Peri! You're the absolute best!

Laslow has the good sense to stay on Peri's good side. They have recovered from us dunking on them back in like Chapter 12. These two actually arrive at the usable, if slightly behind level 16. Their stats are mostly even to one another, though Laslow has much better SKL and LCK than Peri.

Her advantage though is her personal skill and ability to use lances here where she won't be put at triangle disadvantage.

CORNDOG: M-more reinforcements?

LEO: *sigh* It took the four of you long enough.

XANDER: Don't worry, Corndog-these late arrivals are retainers to myself and to Leo.

NILES: That we are. Ready and eager to help, as ordered. I am Niles, a retainer to Lord Leo. The enemy looks to be quite angry.

NILES: Don't worry-it will be my genuine pleasure to make them regret crossing you.

Niles is a bit of a sadist. Just a bit. His usability on this map is... strained. He's only level 14, and his STR is even less than Setsuna's. He's all in on SPD + RES.

ODIN: And I...am Odin Dark! Loyal retainer of Lord Leo.

ODIN: I have cut through the darkness of space to serve my lord however he needs.

ODIN: My unmatched skill with magic will tear through the enemy's ranks! Nice to meet you!

Odin is level 12 and his MAG stat isn't great because he used to fight with swords. His skill with magic is very matched, but I'll let him have his fancy intro. It will be difficult to actually apply him on this map however.

It's probably fine if he just announces he cut through time and space to be here, nobody will take anything he says seriously.

LASLOW: I'm Laslow. I'm one of Lord Xander's retainers. I know that our paths crossed once before, but I will fight by your side now.

LASLOW: ...That's all. Please-it's a bit embarrassing to be stared at by everyone...

PERI: I'm Peri! P as in pierce, E as in eviscerate, R as in rupture, and I as in injure! Like Laslow here, I'm Lord Xander's retainer!

PERI: I learned a new way to go about butchering the enemy-I can't wait to show it off!

CORNDOG: Wow... Always good to get new allies.

XANDER: Make use of them as you see fit.

LEO: Don't let us down now, Corndog. Not after we've brought so much help!

CORNDOG: Thank you, Xander! Thank you, Leo!

Unfortunately for Leo, Xander brought the more useful retainers. The only real problem Laslow and Peri has is that they're frail. Odin and Niles are underleveled and not very strong.

So anyways, Rinkah gets healed and Xander takes a shot at the Dark Knight. I only needed to weaken him, but...

CHARLOTTE: You disgust me!

Charlotte marches in with a 32% crit on a 39% hit chance and deletes this man with her oversized axe. The Berserker's upgraded crit animation has her flip and do a unnecessarily high jump and flip to swing the axe wildly in one hand.

Charlotte moves over to back up Rinkah's powerleveling. She's just going to Bolt Axe incoming people now. (This is because I accidentally traded her Killer Axe to Charlotte.)

Rinkah hits level 17, getting HP, LCK, RES. Kinda disappointing.

The new retainers move away for now.

Meanwhile, Leo makes his way to the other group. He won't see action until next turn.

Keaton smacks the knight who tried to hit him, gets level 17. STR, SPD, LCK, DEF. Great level from him as usual.

Enemy turn, Knights move into our frontline, Oboro having borrowed the Guard Naginata to even out her DEF with Stonewall Silas.

As usual, she dodges it anyways. She also fends off one of the Generals.

Silas has been armed up with the Armorslayer, the other reason why he handed over the naginata.

Keaton is capable of doubling knights fully. He also holds off a General.

Corndog did swap Rinkah's axe over to a Raider Axe that I don't remember if I told you we found. But we do have it. It's better than having her search for crits, really.

Charlotte's (hidden behind the EXP bar) is hanging out in range of all the frontliners on the east right now, and the enemies all narrowly avoid the double coinflip of dying instantly to her assist.

Also one of the healers moved up.

On our turn, a Heavy Knight suffers Charlotte's wrath. The Tomahawk is supposed to be a ranged only weapon, but offensive pair-ups do not care.

PERI: ...Is there blood on me?

Peri gets in on the combat, we'll be using her to hold the wall as well. Her damage is so high here because the Paladin's been debuffed, but her starting stats are decent enough.

This also triggers her personal skill, boosting, STR, MAG, SKL, and SPD by 4 until the next player turn. She now really hurts enemies, but she's still safe from death by attrition.

Flora pebbles another Paladin to weaken his hits, gets level 13: STR, MAG. Disappointing, but her bases are more than fine for her job as-is.

Corndog moves in to form the rest of the wall and to give Peri our dodgy katana.

LEO: Pathetic.

Leo is finally able to join the fight if he so chooses, and he will destroy anything over here if given the chance. Brynhildr is a really high Mt spell, and it also offers +10 Crit avoid and a Skill% chance of halving Magic damage.

Azama moves up to heal. He hits level 14 and makes everyone look bad. Sort of.

He gets every stat but MAG. You know... the stat he uses.

Our units on the left opt to not press forward any further, just to avoid aggroing the lone freeze Faceless.

Enemy turn, the remaining knight walks right into a Armorslayer Silas and is obliterated for it.

Silas hits his first level, 19. HP, SKL, SPD, LCK, DEF. For him, that's great. He hasn't yet realized that he's a cavalier, not a knight though.

Right side, Peri unfortunately eats a 58% hit chance for slightly over half her health, but she should live this turn.

Chip damage gets Rinkah to level 18. MAG, SPD. Her STR remains unsatisfactory.

Also this dingus really trotted up to Xander and just accomplished nothing.

Our turn, Silas investigates using the Spirit Katana to slay the Faceless in the center, but even if he could double, it wouldn't work. We'll just get the Guard Naginata back to him just to lure the beast over safely.

One day, we may find a use for the Spirit Katana. The Wyrmslayer still remains our most pointless sword as we have yet to meet a dragon that isn't Corndog or Lilith.

This lone, rare troubadour enemy makes a poor decision in doing her job.

(Un)fortunately for her, Niles is our only capture unit and he won't be making it to this side of the map.

Rest in peace knowing that your tiny EXP value was enough to push Oboro to level 20 without wasting much.

Oh, and she only got SPD for it.

Also Keaton bops a horse and gets level 18. HP, STR, SKL, SPD, DEF. This boy's a powerhouse.

PERI: Yay, violence!

Peri clears out the Great Knight who attacked her, getting her first level: 17. HP, STR, SKL, DEF, RES

Peri's VA has a strangely soft delivery of her lines despite her presence as most needlessly bloodthirsty member of our army and her frequent tantrums. If the goal was to make her more unsettling, it works.

LASLOW: I hope some girls are watching.

Laslow's STR and SPD are relatively similar to our Selena's, but she has a lot more DEF than his measly 12. It's not to say he can't still do a decent job on this map.

He's also a bit of a charmer, but seeing as this is Gay Fates, well...

Niles picks up some EXP too, though he only has an entertained laugh for us. His pose with the arrow over the shoulder is rather excellent though.

The horse invasion has been reduced to a single guy who ran away for a heal, so it's time to push up a bunch on this side.

...As that guy leaves the fort, charging Xander of all people to meet his own doom.

KADEN: Let's play!

This just in, Kaden breaks the 4th wall and identifies what I'm doing.

This is all in service of him picking up level 15. HP, MAG, SKL, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES.

Everything but STR, and that's amazing. Kaden just doesn't see a huge amount of use because I don't put a whole lot of faith in pure dodge-tanking in this game, and up until recently, mages have been rare.

It's up to Leo to escort the immobilized Silas to the Strategist controlling this Flame Orb. They trade blows, only Leo does damage.

One particularly annoying threat are the two Bow Knights situated at the southern corners of the map. They'll never move, but those ballista will ruin any of our fliers (though they can only reduce them to 1 HP, thankfully.)

Magic Ballista Lady can't do a thing to Leo.

Flora still deals frightening amounts of damage to enemies with pebbles, considering what they are.

The result is that Peri can finish to pick up more EXP.

Or she could just miss. Been a while since we had an annoying low miss chance bite us. Blame it on the lightning, maybe?

Previously unmentioned is a Great Knight who moved up to Rinkah and they had a mostly inconsequential trade.

I attempt battle again and nothing happens as both axe girls miss, but at least Rinkah gets Axes B.

Corndog pairs onto her to give enough DEF to survive the round as I have no healer available, and Xander has to clean up Peri's miss to make up for Rinkah and Charlotte's misses.

Rinkah probably would have survived, but I'm being prudent. If we lose a unit, I go back to Chapter 16.

Silas finishes the siege Strategist and almost hits 20.

The Great Knight predictably moves in on Peri now that she's the lowest DEF target in range. If the axe girl crew didn't miss then this would be a screenshot of Peri taking out that Paladin.

Eh, I'm not complaining though. Unexpected complications is what makes strategy fun.

A combination of support from both pink and blue pastel haired individuals allows our unit with both pink and blue hair to get this win.

On turn 9, a reinforcement wave pops in, but it only ends up being a single Cav.

Unfortunately for this guy, this is the turn my entire army has joined together. It would've been better to make our assault from both sides, but eh.

Flora pebbles to hit 14, getting only HP, LCK, and DEF.

Peri cleans up for 18, netting HP, LCK, DEF, RES. I am more than fine with her getting more bulk as her personal skill puts in a good effort to patch an average STR stat and a meh SPD.

Some shuffling around and 1 generic Knight later, I'm ready to storm the ballista with Corndog flying Rinkah in. Peri/Charlotte is nearby to sneak in a Javelin shot if needed on the next turn.

I didn't immediately realize that it's up on a weird hill though, the terrain is a bit vague under the light of enemy aggro ranges.

I also kinda forgot that Rinkah was pretty wounded so I burned a Physic charge healing her. Meh, we've got plenty, and that General near the center of the map is just in range.

Then I just throw caution to the wind and just move everyone up. His targets were Oboro, Leo, and Keaton- accomplishing nothing of consequence.

I also find myself suddenly glad that I merged my army as a Dark Knight and Strategist pair reinforce from the east side of the map on turn 11. I would not have liked having them threaten my team from behind.

This also unfortunately means I have to move someone back to guard the Flame Orb as they are gonna beeline it there to keep bombing our team.

Peri risks a 61% hit and pulls through, making up for earlier.

Silas then unfortunately whiffs a Spear on the General.

It's left to Corndog to weaken and Keaton to punch a hole through the guy to deal with the situation.

Another one started moving in last turn as well.

The very same one that marches up on a 8 HP Keaton, triggering panic music, but getting nowhere due to a planned support guard.

The guy even only had 54% chance to hit.

KEATON: Say goodbye.

The following crit is a huge plus for me. Really being a credit to the team here.

The victory goes to Kaden just because it'd give him upwards of 70 EXP.

On the following enemy turn, the Dark Knight reinforcement makes it to the orb before Leo does, but doesn't accomplish much with it.

Some inconsequential engagements happen and Leo procs Brynhildr's defensive skill on a 0 damage hit :v:

Flora hits level 15 off a heal and gets STR, SKL, but more importantly Tomebreaker.

The Orb fails to hit both Corndog and Kaden on it's next shot.

Then the Strategist, for some reason, continues to walk into the Leo that she cannot hurt. He gets level 3 from the victory, with HP, MAG, and LCK.

A minimal level, but a level nontheless.

This mess continues as Peri attempts to take the Dark Knight EXP for herself, and the Dark Knight only achieves really hurting Corndog. Given her meager RES, it is unsurprising.

Kaden ends up with the EXP, hitting 16 and getting HP, SPD, LCK, DEF. He definitely needs the HP and DEF.

I then engage in a plan that is ultimately folly, sending Keaton and Peri to run down the last ballista on the map as I draw all the accompanying units away to the west with the main team.

The reasoning was that both of them are already not far from promotion.

Annoyingly, I have to keep checking the ballista's range manually like this is an older FE game. For some reason, you can't mark siege weapons.

My plan to lure them away succeeds, but I end up forgetting that Grease Mage there is a threat.

In hindsight, Flora is probably safe here? Iago can't do that much damage to her with her massive RES (it'd be about 3 damage), but the dual attack would still hurt provided the General moved in first.

I probably put Flora there intentionally, but in a sudden bout of brain fog then panicked and sought to remove Iago as promptly as possible. This would be in order to seize the map with Camilla and forfeit some EXP to ensure success.

Corndog goes in with a lance, which seems ridiculous given her lack of RES, but Camilla only had a 53% chance to hit here. The Pink Wonder's is effectively guaranteed.

While Iago gives us his thoughts, I want you to see if you can spot why this is really a mistake.

Music: Squirm in the Dark

(The last time we'll hear this, probably.)

IAGO: I must congratulate you for making it as far as you have.

IAGO: However, it is now your time to die. With you out of the way, the world will be King Garon's for the taking.

IAGO: Enjoy reflecting on all your mistakes... in the afterlife!

man, i aint gotta be in the afterlife to reflect on my mistakes, im doing that right now

It is, unfortunately, not enough to down the Grease Man for good.

It is enough to level Corndog. She hits her first level since promoting. HP, MAG, SKL, SPD, DEF, RES. Pretty good!

I end up having to give the kill to Laslow of all people. He rips a Kodachi out of Corndog's storage and throws it right at our immediate foe.

IAGO: You think... you've won...?

IAGO: This...this can't be happening... My plan...was perfect...

IAGO: I... King Garon... H-help...me...

As he suddenly loses all confidence, his life of being a disposable lackey meets its predictable conclusion.

Your plan was far from perfect, but I'll give you credit for being the most competent antagonist we've had. Hell, this was one of the better armies we've gone up against.

Probably should've brought something better than a Fimbulvetr though. That thing got nerfed down to a Steel-tier book, a Nosferatu would have saved you here.

Laslow predictably levels off this, though his level 17 is disappointing. His words, not mine, though I agree.

STR, LCK.

Now as for the little test I gave you, the answer is that I stuck Corndog in ballista range. :doh:

Despite her defense, she still takes most of her HP bar from a ballista shot and she's a hit away from death due to Iago anyways. Flora is currently not available to heal, her positioning when healing Kaden earlier being the cause of all of this.

Camilla is open to Seize though, no idea if because she's a royal or if any unit could do it, so I do consider this map effectively over. I can take this and go right now.

I can survive this turn by switching to Oboro here and standing, a matter she is likely to survive through dodges, her decent DEF, and a support guard- a result tested with savestates.

However, she is currently capped at 20, and so she puts a bunch of EXP down the drain anyways.

For what it's worth, she does crit every swing on this timeline which is very cool. Also, the troubadour blocks enemies from reaching Laslow which is nice.

The end result I take is a bit funnier, where Camilla just dodges the ballista instead by just waiting instead of seizing. Actually trying to switch to a dodgier weapon ends up getting Laslow killed as the Knight doesn't die, the Troubadour heals the Knight, and the General stabs Laslow for exact lethal.

This was a mess that took more puzzling than it needs.

Complaints regarding the damage to the strategic integrity of this Let's Play should be put in the next comment box, where they will be printed, shredded, and used for paper mâché.

The nonsense all pays off as Kaden gets level 17 off the Troubadour, getting HP, SPD, and RES.

Well, sort of pays off. It's not the best level.

Had whatever happened with Flora not occurred and one more turn had a chance to pass, Peri and Keaton would have had the ballista downed.

The chip damage gets Keaton to 19, giving him his most meh level yet. HP, STR, SPD.

When that's your most "meh" level, that's saying something, as that's more than acceptable for most characters.

Rinkah renders the problematic General no longer an issue, getting level 19 as well.

She only gets DEF.

Well, whatever, you're still cool to me, Rinkah.

ouch

Peri claims the annoying Bow Knight's EXP and also hits 19.

HP, STR, SKL, LCK, DEF, RES.

Very good level. If she's going to see regular use, I'd like to see some SPD, but her stats are pretty usable. That low DEF is patching right out.

We finally seize, a few turns burnt for supporting.

Sheezelouise, that took longer than it needed to.

Oh, well, I've only got 20+ supports to write up and some character evaluations to do, so I'll leave you with this additional text:

Scarlet Dies posted:

SCARLET: Ow! Of course we finally get to fight together and I get wounded.

SCARLET: I'm sorry. Ryoma, Corndog, I need to fall back for now!

She says the same thing if she drops last map. She's the only one with a unique death quote and Iago doesn't even have unique dialogue for engaging the Nohrian Royals or Corndog. :geno:

Next time, we finally do the thing that Revelation is all about. Well, almost. We still haven't gotten to jump in the hole yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So yeah that's almost all the regular units from Birthright/Conquest at this point (I think the last is Yukimura), and it just gets more and more disappointing as they go on. Like even Leo and Xander enter a bit behind-par compared to Camilla and Ryoma, they don't have a lot of SPD to work off since their idea is being tanky. Peri is still somewhat usable, but you have more than enough swordies that Laslow won't be noticed, Niles is already behind Shura and Takumi, and Odin... Odin almost makes Nyx looks good.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ApplesandOranges posted:

So yeah that's almost all the regular units from Birthright/Conquest at this point (I think the last is Yukimura), and it just gets more and more disappointing as they go on. Like even Leo and Xander enter a bit behind-par compared to Camilla and Ryoma, they don't have a lot of SPD to work off since their idea is being tanky. Peri is still somewhat usable, but you have more than enough swordies that Laslow won't be noticed, Niles is already behind Shura and Takumi, and Odin... Odin almost makes Nyx looks good.

Yukimura doesn't even join on this route, so this is the last set of units until we upgrade the hot springs to 3. After that, it's just 2nd gen kids.

The last is Fuga.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 50: Abridge Closed Ahead, Proceed To Revelation (Chapter 17- Black Flames, Part B)

*We return to the sight of Corndog walking up in the group of meeting royals. Ryoma is the only Hoshidan on screen though.*

Music: Raging Dark Winds

XANDER: All right. It seems that's the last of them.

ELISE: Xander! Leo! I'm so glad you're here!

CAMILLA: My goodness, Elise... Do you really need to bounce around like that?

CAMILLA: ...Though I'm happy to see our wonderful brothers as well.

CAMILLA: Now all four of us are together, just like the Hoshidan brothers and sisters.

LEO: What? You had the entire Hoshidan royal family with you...

LEO: And those thugs were still giving you trouble? I have to admit, I find that a bit disappointing.

HINOKA: What'd you just say? Are you mocking us?!

LEO: No, of course not. I'm merely speaking my mind.

TAKUMI: I can already tell that there will be trouble between me and this guy...

You two are cut from the same cloth, my dude.

XANDER: Relax, Leo.

XANDER: We have to stop thinking in terms of Us and Them. We all made the choice to come here.

LEO: ...You're right, Xander. I apologize.

LEO: It's hard to get used to this, but after what happened to Father...

CORNDOG: What do you mean? Did something happen in Nohr?

XANDER: When we last saw Father, he... He said that Hoshido and Nohr meant nothing to him. He commanded us to destroy both kingdoms.

CORNDOG: That's insane!

LEO: Corndog, in Izumo you said that you thought Father was being controlled.

LEO: I didn't believe you then, but after seeing how Father has changed... I've decided that you might have been correct all along.

CORNDOG: It's true, Leo. I haven't lied to you. Our real enemy is controlling King Garon.

LEO: I apologize for calling you a traitor. If I had trusted you sooner, we would be in a better situation now.

CORNDOG: You don't need to apologize. Just having your trust now means more to me than you know.

Honestly, Leo, you believed us pretty quickly all things considered. Although I suppose it helps when Bad Dad starts visibly losing his mind basically confirms that Corndog was at least onto something.

XANDER: As for me, until now I have risked my life time and again in the defense of Nohr.

XANDER: I have no intention of turning my back on my kingdom. But if Father is not himself, and is in fact a danger to our home...

XANDER: Then it is my duty to follow you and do what is best for Nohr.

XANDER: Corndog... I trust you. I trust that you'll remain true to your goal for a lasting peace.

CORNDOG: Xander...

And so Brainwashed Brother is no longer unrelentingly faithful to the guy wearing the crown and instead redirects his nationalism to the interests of the country's well-being.

RYOMA: Then I propose a truce between our kingdoms.

XANDER: What do you mean, Prince Ryoma?

RYOMA: You and I are similar, Xander, both in our goals and our motivation.

RYOMA: If there is a way to bring peace to our two kingdoms, that is the cause I will support.

RYOMA: For the sake of our sister... For the sake of the world... Let us be allies in this.

Sheesh, you people always gotta make it about Corndog.

*We are then presented with a CG of our older brothers finally shaking hands.*

XANDER: I accept your proposal, Prince Ryoma.

XANDER: I hope that we can achieve a peaceful world.

TAKUMI: Ryoma and Prince Xander-working together. I never thought I'd see it.

LEO: Just make sure you don't slow us down, Hoshidans.

HINOKA: You don't seem to share your brother's open mind...

CAMILLA: I apologize for Leo-he bears you no ill will. Don't let it worry you. We can't have you sully your pretty face with a frown.

SAKURA: Um... I...I'll do my best to help everyone as much as I can!

ELISE: Yeah! I'm going to do the exact same thing!

AZURA: Isn't this wonderful, Corndog?

AZURA: You've managed to win over your family, blood related and not!

AZURA: Because of the choice you made, all of this became possible.

Because you spent $19.99, these two can finally kiss!

It's at this point that I need to remind that the eShop has been been dead for a few months now and with Special Edition being a short print and not available retail, Revelation is officially gone via firsthand markets.

In a peculiar poetry, it too has faded and become ethereal like our antagonists itself. Also this is one of the rare times Azura ever fully smiles like this.

CORNDOG: Thanks, Azura...

CORNDOG: And thank you all. It means more than I can say for everyone to trust me.

AZURA: ...

AZURA: We'd better get going, Corndog.

AZURA: Now that we've secured so many allies, we should do what we came here to do. Once we reach our destination, we can tell everyone what we know.

At last, we can finally stop being so vague about our intentions! We will escape the grasp of the hurried, abridged combination of Birthright and Conquest and it's flimsy plot to get the experience Revelation truly promised!

...This is going to be as just a disorganized mess too, isn't it?

For being the moment these last 10 chapters have been built up to, it wasn't very grand. Maybe if you're more deeply invested it hits harder, or maybe the pre-section of Chapter 18 has a bit more to it.

Next chapter, we of course are headed into Valla proper, so we no longer have to dance around its name or censor it as part of a running joke.

It never happened, but I always thought would have been funny if someone got probated as part of the plot-excuse curse for saying its name outright in the thread.

Before that though, we've got the usual base stuff and some of the biggest voting yet.

SUPPORTS!

But more than just supports, we have the full team now! Well, minus 2 who don't join on this route and the guy who joins later after upgrading our hot springs.

CORNDOG: Wait... what's that laughing I hear behind my throne?

CORNDOG: Intruders burrowing into the walls? Show yourself!

*Various scuffling and cartoon collision sound effects*

CORNDOG: W-Wait... you're...

FUGA: ...This was a little premature.

IZANA: Aha! We've partied too hard! The jig's up, boys!

YUKIMURA: Corn- I mean Lady Corndog, did you have to punch so hard? You could have killed me.

CORNDOG: Killed you? Izana's SUPPOSED to be dead!

IZANA: Oh, c'mon. Give me some credit! It takes a lot more than that to get rid of hair this beautiful.

FUGA: For what it's worth, I was on my way to join you. I just got a little... caught up. How's my boy doing?

YUKIMURA: Castle Shirasagi is safe- the Nohrian troops were pushed back and eventually dispersed.

YUKIMURA: Please refrain from mentioning to Lady Hinoka that her room was, in fact, destroyed. That was meant to be a joke but fate is strange sometimes.

CORNDOG: Wow... I guess I managed to unite everyone after all! Welcome to the team!

FUGA: (Well, I warned you two that she'd pull you in. Didn't even ask!)

IZANA: (Wow, I died in this timeline? Who'd be such a party pooper to do that? Everyone loves me!)

YUKIMURA: (I will never forgive either of you as long as I live.)

And like that, we have recruited Rat Dad, Party Jesus, and Glasses, completing the last of all the characters in the game to recruit. Despite Revelation seeming like the "recruit everyone" route, we just normally get Fuga when upgrading the Hot Spring to 3. Yukimura has his own stuff to do, and Izana is dead, supposedly.

These three do have modded supports, although they're somewhat limited. I brought them in just to go ahead and do it as... who else is gonna do it? Just note that for the sake of the game's plot, Izana and Yukimura shouldn't be here.

They're all promoted classes, with Glasses and Fuga being level 10 like Shura, and similarly solid. Izana is level 5 promoted and is also solidly usable.

Before we handle a giant stack of supports, I had to do one tiny little skirmish to finish off a support that somehow didn't happen.

Setsuna hits 16 with SPD RES.

Effie hits 16 with HP, STR, SPD, LCK.

And the map ends with her getting C lances. Killer weapon availability helps pretty much everyone.

This of course results in even more supports than just the two I needed.

Keaton x Shura - B [ESSM]

This one's been done since Update 48 but I spaced it out until here.

Keaton continues to try and get info on Shura's loner habits, and it ends up starting a little argument. Shura calls Keaton out on the fact that he's supposed to be the leader of wolfskins but is here and away from his responsibilities.

Camilla x Setsuna - C [Uncoded]

Setsuna falls in a hole and Camilla gets her out.

You will notice a theme with Setsuna.

Camilla x Reina - C [ESSM]

The great meeting of the terrifying flying warrior ladies commences, and Camilla's quite a fan of her.

You know, they almost make reveling in bloodshed sound normal. Almost.

(oh, the poor generics)

Reina x Azura - C [UGF]

Reina awakens wounded after defending Azura in a recent battle to find Azura watching over her, thankful. Reina expresses some past regrets toward Azura, although its difficult to tell if it's merely the exhaustion confusing her past, or something really has happened between them.

Reina x Setsuna - C [ESSM]

Reina and Setsuna have a far more involved past with one another than would first appear. This is a long one that delves deep into Setsuna's extremely spoiled upbringing as a daughter of a very affluent noble family, and her resulting airheaded accident-prone life. More characterization for her here than the usual.

The other topic of the conversation is the birthdays of her twin younger sisters, in which Reina convinces her to try and make something for them instead of anything that can be bought.

And as it is a Setsuna support, she is currently in a pitfall trap.

Azura x Setsuna - C [UGF]

Azura goes out to sing at a lake, but finds an abandoned fish net that's caught a wild Setsuna. Azura learns of Setsuna's hunting incident that got her to this point, and takes the casual attitude regarding this as a perspective on life.

They agree to talk again, but will it be in another similar trapped scenario?

Selena x Setsuna - C [ESSM]

Selena gets stuck with Setsuna on a shopping trip after recieving the puppy-dog eyes treatment.

Setsuna also falls in a pitfall trap. At the very least, you can rest assured that you won't be the one to fall into a trap if Setsuna is around.

Selena x Effie - C [Unwritten/ N/A]

This one doesn't exist, but if it did, I'd imagine it'd have something to do Selena getting annoyed at Effie's constant bodybuilding. Maybe.

I don't have a good idea of where to start there right now, but as for an ending point, tbey're both retainers who crave being useful to their lady in some way so it'd probably be part of the resolution. Or maybe it just starts with that established, and it's about a joint plan between them to improve.

Either that, or they swap places as retainers for a day or as part of some challenge, though I doubt either of them would go for that unless they were specifically ordered to.

Eh, don't look at me to write this stuff. I'm swamped as is. This update took nearly 3 whole days of my LP writing time.

Effie x Setsuna - C [Unwritten/ N/A]

Another unwritten one. I think the obvious direction is probably for Effie to try and strength train Setsuna so she can lift herself out of pitfalls with the expected results. Either that or Setsuna finds Effie unable to stand after an intense excercise session, but mistakes it for her napping.

Perhaps a more interesting direction is for them to understand one another better after they relate on how they tend to lose track of the world around them.

Again, I'm just spitballing ideas, I don't want to just write "yeah, the support you voted for doesn't exist, get owned"

Corndog x Anna - C [BASE]

In which Corndog is made aware of Anna's uncontrolled Nurse Joy syndrome. This is also after forging a check in Bad Dad's name for some makeup.

Anna expresses her current thoughts on getting a rebrand and changing her name. You probably should, really.

This just happened due to random room invites + gifting, like most of our odd Corndog supports. There's actually a Subaki one incoming next support update as well.

Corndog x Charlotte - B [BASE]

In which Charlotte realizes that Corndog, or whoever is in charge of finances, does not pay her enough for putting her life on the line. This makes her a little miffed and she punches an entire tree down just as Corndog returned to give her the lunch box back.

Charlotte's gonna unionize somebody's face with her fist.

Azura x Flora - C [ESSM]

Our sky-blue haired girls have a chat, in which Azura is worried if Corndog is treating Flora alright. Flora's rather run ragged with all the work she does, and few retainers work nearly as hard as she does.

The conversation strikes an unexpected nerve, but they do agree to talk again soon.

Peri x Flora - C [ESSM]

Flora talks to the on of our other sky-blue haired girls, or rather is dragged into conversation with her. It's as unpleasant as you might imagine, and Peri doesn't particularly value servants or anyone in a similar role.

Y'know, if you didn't want it to get bloodstained, maybe you should wear black. Or, I dunno, murder less.

Xander x Kaden - C [Uncoded]

Our most well-groomed brother ends up helping Kaden groom his tail after an injury. The conversation is surprisingly plot relevant.

If you've forgotten, Cyrkensia was the town where we fought both Xander and Ryoma.

Oboro x Camilla - A [ESSM]

Oboro finally meets up with Camilla again and gets the story of Camilla's mother. It's... a very complicated past.

The two end on very good terms after spilling their hearts out to one another, and then head off for some fashion and modeling. It all turned out good in the end.

Hinoka x Camilla - C [ESSM]

Protective older sister meets with protective older sister. Hinoka inquires about Camilla's sewing, and in wanting to make something for Corndog as well, finds herself ready to get sewing lessons. After all, she's been focused on the naginata since she was seven apparently, so she's had little time for delicate pursuits.

...Of course, she'll need to stop wielding the needle like a weapon first.

Silas x Azama - C [UGF]

Sials comes looking for Azama but accidentally destroys priceless history in the process.

Azama's just cheery about it because he won't have to explain this to Corndog, and he's not the one that might be haunted by ghosts from now on.

Poor Silas.

Setsuna x Azama - C [BASE]

Azama meets with the only person his sarcastic rhetoric and prodding can't affect: his fellow retainer. Completely oblivious to all of it, she manages to frustrate him.

At the very least, she made it back okay without anything bad. Although, this is provided Hinoka wrote a list for her and the clerk handled it all, but still.

Leo x Niles - C [BASE]

Leo comes to have a nice chat with his retainer, but finds him in the middle of reminiscing. Niles's memory is faded, but what vague images he can recall brings up some unsettling images.

Leo... leaves him to it.

Laslow x Odin - C [BASE]

The Awakening boys meet up for a chat, and they both get on each other's back for slacking off. As they have equal blackmail, they just decide to slack off together while training and Laslow plays along with his longtime friend's theatrics.

For those unaware, many of the things Odin/Owain says are references to previous Fire Emblem titles. Awakening itself rips mechanics from many previous titles as a sort of anniversary-type homage, and its world is that of FE1 and FE2 a real long time in the future.

Somehow, technology hasn't progressed too much.

Ryoma x Shura - C [UGF]

Ryoma has at some point promised to help rebuild Kohga, but even still he seems to be unable to get his mind off of Shura. Apparently he wasn't allowed in with the refugees to Hoshido when it was destroyed.

Shura dodges the question, but rest assured something happened there.

For some reason this one wasn't in my extracted script list, so I had to do a good portion of it by hand.

Scarlet x Setsuna - C [Uncoded]

Setsuna doesn't fall in a hole in this support! Instead, she's on the cusp of being swindled multiple times until Scarlet stops by to save her.

Setsuna, how are you supposed to buy a gift for someone using their own money? I don't think it works that way.

Mozu x Oboro - S/A+ [ESSM]

The game's still bugged and thinks this is an A+, but they be married. I had to touch up the blushing portraits myself as Paragon renders them strangely. Don't say I didn't ever pay attention to small details in this.

Either way, these two share a nice hearfelt confession with one another. For both of them having lost their family in the Nohrian conflicts, these two do pretty well for themselves.

The last support we have today is being done separately from the pile, as it's the trigger for something we've yet to see.

Keaton x Kaden - S [ESSM]

From an overwhelmingly majority vote, our wolf and fox make one last outing to the forest glade. They get lost again, as always, but this little outing turns out very well for them in the end.

(The following will be narrated by Lilith, as we lack of a proper speaker for the event.)

Music: "Open for business!"

LILITH: The bond between this pair grew stronger still...

LILITH: ...a union that soon proved fruitful.

LILITH: The castle that everyone called home was no safe place for infants.

LILITH: Where could newborns be hidden in such dangerous times?

LILITH: The answer was in the Deeprealms- tiny worlds strewn across the astral plane.

Alright, so not the worst idea just yet. Invasions of the fortress are possible, so I'll give them that.

LILITH: This solution wasn't without it's complications, however.

LILITH: Time in the Deeprealms passed far more quickly.

LILITH: In the blink of an eye, babies grew into children. Soon after, to adulthood!

LILITH: Parents would deal with this dizzying pace of maturity in their own ways.

LILITH: But the could rest assured that children would be safe... for a time.

Spoiler alert, the timeholes are not very safe at all. Among other problems. Who could've guessed that throwing your kids into black holes could have repercussions?

So yeah, Fates takes the 2nd generation units thing that Awakening did, that was borrowed from Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4), and made it even more implausible and handwaved.

I'll give Awakening credit in that the other kids simply coming from a ruined future alongside Lucina as a last ditch effort by the world's primary goddess to change the timeline and save the world is a valid plot extension. This is just an excuse, utilzing the Astral Plane of Disconnected Plot Points once again.

Our resulting kids for this pairing are:

Selkie, a kitsune very detached from reality...

And Velouria, a wolfskin who has found acorns.

The beast kids just have one strip of hair colored the same as their other parent, the other kids fully inherit the other parent's hair color. (Azura's kid excluded.)

I believe with classes, Selkie gets Wolfskin and Diviner, while Velouria gets Kitsune and Fighter. Picking them up and doing our next DLC, the Witch's Trial, will be what we do next after we get to our vote.

Before we get there, we do have some extra text to show off. As we have the other Awakening characters, here's their dialogue for the Before Awakening DLC.

You can find those two dialogues (alongside our units' current stats): >>HERE<<

And as we're talking about Laslow and Odin, new units, let's just go ahead and do those overdue overviews.

---------------------------NEW UNITS----------------------------
(As always, I don't claim to be an expert on these units, these are just my first takes of them.)

Xander, Crown Prince of Nohr
"A Nohrian prince respected for his martial skill. Wields the divine sword, Siegfried."

Reclass Options: Cavalier, Wyvern Rider

Personal Skill- Chivalry:
When enemy’s HP is at maximum, damage +2 and damage received -2 during the battle

45 ____50 ____05 ____40 ____35 ____60 ___40 _____15
10 ____15 ____00 ____10 ____10 ____15 ___10 _____10

Xander is similar to Ryoma. He's a beast in combat, has a special ranged sword, and is equipped with strong bases and growths. He's not fast, but he sure is tanky.

His personal skill assists in tanking and his reclass lets him join the rest of the Nohrian Royal Wyvern Riders. He could also Heart Seal into Great Knight if you wanted him to lean hard into pure DEF.

Story-wise, well, we already know what his deal is. He's trapped between a rose-tinted, eldest son's view of his father and the reality of needing to take charge. Otherwise, he's rather serious and polite.

Leo, Dark Prince With the Devil's Own Luck
"A talented Nohrian prince who wields the divine tome, Brynhildr."

Reclass Options: Troubadour

Personal Skill- Pragmatic:
When enemy’s HP is not full, damage +3 and damage received -1 during the battle

45 ____25 ____55 ____35 ____45 ____45 ___30 _____45
15 ____20 ____10 ____05 ____05 ____05 ___15 _____05

Leo comes with decent bases (his SPD is a bit weak), good enough growths, and a good class. Dark Knight trades out a bit of magic power for some physical bulk and STR so they can use a sword somewhat competently. It's a good class, and given Nosferatu is pretty heavily nerfed, Dark Knight doesn't lose anything by losing access to dark magic.

Leo's personal skill is similar to Rinkah's, and it makes him good at clearing wounded enemies even if he wasn't already rather good at one-rounding at the moment. His sideclass is mostly for Strategist, I imagine, allowing him to trade out the sword for a staff.

Leo has had a lot of "teenager trying to be cool" energy since the beginning, what with his popped collar, made-up catchphrase and lean into dark magic. His coldness only goes so far it seems, and he has somewhat been on our side since Izana's incident- confirming for himself that even if our explanation is vague, there's definitely something wrong with Bad Dad.

I wonder if Kaze and Rinkah have anything to say about him saving their lives because at the end of the day, he's the one who actually did.

Laslow, Enigmatic Mercenary
"Xander's shy and enigmatic retainer with a flair for philandering and dancing."

Reclass Options: Ninja

Personal Skill- : Fancy Footwork
Strength and Speed +1 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used

50 ____45 ____00 ____45 ____30 ____55 ___35 _____25
10 ____15 ____00 ____20 ____15 ____05 ___10 _____05

Laslow is Inigo from Awakening, and arrives with a spread of usable bases and workable growths. He has more HP and STR growth compared to Selena, but her better SPD and DEF alongside some good levels has already made her quite the strong unit to compete with. My only real problem with Laslow is his low DEF, which I suppose happens when your mother is a dancer, but he otherwise looks to be decently solid.

His personal skill is meager, more flavor than anything, but 1 point of SPD or STR can make all the difference at times. As with all the Awakening returners, his reclass is of the opposite faction, though Ninja is an odd choice. Is it for the pec window, maybe?

Laslow's an unusual combination of shy, but too flirty for his own good. Perhaps years of chasing down dancers in search of your mother in the past does that to you. Either way, he tries to maintain a carefree attitude to lighten up the darker sides of battle, though his shyness has been ramped up from before. I'll be honest, I've only ever recruited Inigo once because that map is a pain and Olivia does not pass on good bases, so he's pretty new to me as well.

Odin, Grandiose Dark Mage
"An enigmatic retainer of Leo's who tends toward the theatrical."

Reclass Options: Samurai

Personal Skill- Aching Blood:
When equipped with a forged weapon whose name is at least 12 characters, Critical rate +10

55 ____35 ____30 ____55 ____35 ____60 ___40 _____20
00 ____10 ____20 ____00 ____10 ____00 ___05 _____10

Odin is Owain, Lissa's son and an inheritor of the Ylissean Brand, something she didn't have (you know, that funny thing on Chrom's shoulder). Present on his sword hand, he was originally an over-the top myrmidon who claimed his hand had an uncontrollable desire for battle. As to why the dingus picked up dark magic, I have no idea but it tracks. The result is his supremely average and unimpressive bases, and even STR and MAG growths that will probably haunt him even in Dark Knight. He's also level 12, which is abysmal at this point in the game. Selena joined at 10, 5 chapters ago.

The reality is that he's always been like this as Lissa's MAG growth doesn't grant a future myrmidon much aid. His personal skill is a reference to his dramatic antics, and his habit of creating over-the-top names for his weapons. This personal does let him extend the usefulness of Killer weapons, enhancing their crit chance if you can afford to forge one. Following in line with that, Samurai gets him back in his old class for a solid performance, though maybe still shaky in STR/MAG- basically a classic crit myrmidon.

I think you've got a decent read on what he's like by this point, so I will just note that his all yellow dark mage outfit is a unique choice.

Peri, Bloodthirsty Nohrian Noble
"A Nohrian noble and one of Xander's retainers. A childlike, amoral killer."

Reclass Options: Dark Mage

Personal Skill- Bloodthirst:
When user triggers the battle and defeats the enemy, Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed +4 for one turn

30 ____50 ____05 ____30 ____50 ____35 ___25 _____45
10 ____15 ____00 ____10 ____10 ____15 ___10 _____05

Peri joins slightly frail, but decently leveled just like Laslow. With less physical bulk, she makes up for it with better SPD and a respectable RES. Her SKL and LCK are worse by comparison, but having lances on hand for triangle advantage and the bonus of her personal skill, it's not as much an issue as it is with some other characters. Still, our Peri has been pretty good on DEF so far, so her main weakness isn't even present. Paladin helps her be a mage-killer and Great Knight patches her physical bulk for a good, all-rounder character.

Bloodthirst allows her to clean up on player phase and then continue to destroy on enemy phase, which works fine to me. It also obviously pairs well with Azura (or the Dark Flier DLC class), as she can actively take advantage of her stat boost instead of just having enemies run into her. Dark Mage is a class she'll do poorly in, but the skills are potentially useful for her. Dark Knight isn't the worst ending point for her, though her MAG will always be rough.

As a person, well... if anyone in our army needed therapy, here's patient number one. Peri is spoiled, ill-adjusted, and sociopathically murderous in a way that makes Reina look graceful. She's a bad hair day away from a warcrime, and one can only wonder what Xander was thinking with having her as a retainer. Needless to say, her supports will be very much that of her being loathsome or eventually building up to therapy.

Is her hair naturally pink or is it blue? Is it all just hair dye? Who knows.

Niles, Sadistic Outlaw
"A lowborn retainer of Leo's with a curiously sadistic streak. A bit of a flirt as well."

Reclass Options: Dark Mage

Personal Skill- Kidnap:
When there is a Prison in My Castle, the user can select the “Capture” command. If a generic enemy is defeated, they will be sent to the Prison

40 ____35 ____20 ____40 ____50 ____30 ___30 _____40
00 ____10 ____05 ____10 ____20 ____00 ___00 _____20

Niles went all in on SPD and RES and, my man, that's barely working for Setsuna. The only archers we have who don't struggle with STR are Mozu (who has Aptitude) and Takumi (whose STR is only middling). At the very least, you can strap this fellow with a Steel or Killer Bow and get decent results, but he's gonna have to work hard to become anything spectacular. At the very least the MAG goes well with Adventurer.

Kidnap is just Orochi's Capture but more sinisterly named, and Dark Mage isn't the worst reclass given he has some MAG growth, but that's not saying a lot.

As a character, Niles is an peculiar one, and joins our small group of people with a worrying penchant for inflicting pain. His is more specifically observing pain though, whereas Peri and Reina are more into killing itself. He is, like all 3 of them, a person with a past who made him into who he is now. Of course, I can only imagine how he and Azama get along- though provided that support hasn't been written yet.

He's notable for being the game's canon bisexual dude, though that gay S support extends only to MCorndog so :geno:. We have Gay Fates to fix that, of course. (The canon bisexual gal is in the 2nd gen units and is a similar situation.)

-----------------

Fuga, Wind Tribe Chieftain
"A grizzled chieftain of the Wind Tribe who was once King Sumeragi's close friend."

Reclass Options: Samurai, Oni Savage, Monk

Personal Skill- Wind Disciple:
When user’s HP is not full, Hit rate and Avoid +10

20 ____20 ____00 ____15 ____05 ____20 ___10 _____10
20 ____15 ____00 ____15 ____10 ____10 ___10 _____00

Fuga's a guy who's fighting days are long past its prime growth. We used him as a training dummy for Mozu and Hana even. So, don't really expect him to get all that much better than he already is, but given his base stats he's already pretty fine.

His personal skill is a decent little buff and his reclass options are wide, but they mostly serve to focus a specific weapon type of his. Already having Seal Strength, he'd be good with throwing weapons but he gets no options for that.

Either way, it's Fuga. We've seen him before, he's Rat Kid's adoptive dad, and he's got a couple of added supports. I suppose Corndog could become Rat Kid's adoptive mom via shenanigans, but let's be honest, Hayato's been warming the bench for a long while now.

Yukimura, Tactician of Hoshido
"Hoshidan strategist and one of Mikoto's retainers. Mild mannered and studious."

Reclass Options: Apothecary, Samurai, Monk

Personal Skill- Perispacious:
Hit rate +5 for all allies

25 ____25 ____05 ____40 ____15 ____30 ___25 _____30
10 ____10 ____00 ____15 ____10 ____05 ___05 _____15

Although possessing slightly better growths than Fuga, he's still in the same range as our other level 10 pre-promotes. He's a solid unit to fill a spot, but don't expect much growth from him.

His personal skill is minor, but it at least buffs your whole team as long as he's present. His reclass options don't immediately jump out at me, but he's already got throwing weapons so that ensures he always has some use.

Yukimura is a mix of stern and calm, and he's really never approved of Corndog since she didn't decide to side with Hoshido. He's got a couple of supports written, though bear in mind those supports might conflict with the current story a little. After all, he only joins on Birthright, we're not supposed to have him.

Izana, Great Prophet of Izumo
"Archduke of Izumo. Much more casual than his radiant appearance would suggest."

Reclass Options: Monk, Samurai, Apothecary

Personal Skill- Peacebringer:
Allies and enemies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 less damage

45 ____15 ____35 ____55 ____30 ____45 ___35 _____35
00 ____00 ____20 ____10 ____15 ____00 ___00 _____15

Party Jesus's growths are all at or slightly below average, but it's fine as he makes for a rather all-rounder magic unit. Arriving with Rally Magic + Rally Luck also makes him a bit of a good support bot with staff access. If he was capable of getting Strategist as a reclass, he could be a huge backbone to a magic squad with Rally Resistance added on top.

The reality is that he doesn't get Strategist, and neither of his reclasses are all that good for him given his magical lean. His personal skill is a double-edged sword that might be more trouble than it's worth, but it's definitely useful for teams that are holding a point. Note that it doesn't apply to him, I believe, just everyone else.

Izana is just a quirky dude who just wants to party, not fight. He's also supposed to be dead, but who knows. It's been a popular theory in the thread that he just faked his death anyways.

There's a weird timeline where we could use him to get a combination of Rally Magic and Rally Def on Corndog's kid. Not that it'd be the most powerful outcome, and we have the entire roster at our disposal with Gay Fates, but it is funny.

At last, the vote!

This one's our biggest yet as we now have the full, entire cast to set supports on, as well as a deluge of units direly in need of promotion choices. We've also got cash, so we can probably go for some reclassing, and some stat boosters just sitting around.

There's also votes on Corndog's choice of S support, and a lot of promotions.

Oh, and nothing else interesting happens regarding the base today. We pick up another Peri's Lance, and our arena attempts both go bust. Woo!

You can find the vote *>>> H E R E <<<*

You can find a full list of screenshots of our units' stats >>HERE<<

======================

...Oh, right, there's two characters we haven't heard from in a little while. I'm sure they're having a nice chat right about now.

Akane x Brigitta ?? [ODD]

Must be nice getting to sit out of two consecutive battles, am I right?

I never said either of them were particularly flawless people. The leading portion of the vote was for them to hate each other, so this was inevitable.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
That was a huge update if I've ever had to do one. Probably not that big if you don't read the supports, but in total this was a new record for me at 260+ screenshots. This took 3 days worth of work with recreating supports in Paragon, fixing images, and doing all the clerical work of trying to keep all these links in order and test posts made.

If there's any errors, let me know. There's bound to be at least one in an update this big.

The support TOC will be delayed on being updated for a little while, I'm currently writing a tool to automate making that because doing it by hand is taking way too long on top of this.

Just to let the vote run a while (and because I need it after this,) there won't be an update next week. Two mega-updates for this in a row is enough for me to need a little time away to catch up on my other stuff.

now i have to get on my BR2 updates, i have literally no progress on those as this took that long and my VLP work will just have to languish for another week or more i guess

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Mozu/Oboro s-rank was adorable. :3:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Laslow's other class set being Ninja is because it unlocks Assassin, which was also one of Olivia's seal options in Awakening (Myrmidon > Assassin). They could have given him Peg Knight but probably avoided that because Selena already had it.

And Odin switched to Dark Magic precisely because he thought it sounded cool.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

Akane x Brigitta ?? [ODD]

Must be nice getting to sit out of two consecutive battles, am I right?

Passive-Aggressive banter next battle, go!

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

ApplesandOranges posted:

Laslow's other class set being Ninja is because it unlocks Assassin, which was also one of Olivia's seal options in Awakening (Myrmidon > Assassin). They could have given him Peg Knight but probably avoided that because Selena already had it.

They also likely avoided giving him Sky Knight because Awakening Pegasus Knights were exclusively female.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Cythereal posted:

The Mozu/Oboro s-rank was adorable. :3:

It really was. :3:

Definitely worth the time to get that all put together. It's a really good cap-off on the base support as well, it just flows in naturally.

ApplesandOranges posted:

And Odin switched to Dark Magic precisely because he thought it sounded cool.

I had completely blanked on the fact that Master Ninja is effectively Awakening's Assassin. Yeah, that makes sense now. It's also really not a bad reclass option for him either, High SKL, LCK, and sword rank carried over gives him a lot to do there.

Odin absolutely went Dark Mage for cool factor, yeah. I thought as much, I was just being a little sarcastic. I've had Owain on nearly every Awakening run I've done.

NyoroEevee posted:

They also likely avoided giving him Sky Knight because Awakening Pegasus Knights were exclusively female.

This is another good point.

LJN92 posted:

Passive-Aggressive banter next battle, go!

Yep, it's gonna be a different vibe than their first battle together, that's for sure.

Even if Corndog knew they didn't like each other, she'd probably forget and still put them together.

In other news, it turns out there's another Gay Fates update. I'll see about getting it put in, but I'm going to keep backups in case it messes up our supports again. Here's the added/completed supports, minus ones not currently relevant, if anyone wanted to know.

ROMANTIC:

Hinoka x Nyx, Arthur x Ryoma, Arthur x Reina, Saizo x Shura, Hana x Kagero, Scarlet x Subaki, Felicia x Hinoka, Kaze x Laslow, Oboro x Reina, Corrin(F) x Anna S, Odin x Takumi

PLATONIC:

Selena/Elise, Azura/Gunter

As for the Corndog marriage vote, one character has a notable lead, but it's not an insurmountable lead. So far, I will say that everyone has opted to triple up on their vote so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Y'know, I never pair Kaden and Keaton together despite how natural it feels because I want a larger number of beastfolk kids. But that's a real cute S-rank, and considering Selkie and Velouria are two of my favorites of the kids, I've got no objection to them being the first ones to show their faces around here.

Spent some time constructing my survey response, but just lemme say: great job with clear hard work put into it with all this.