Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Felicia and Jakob are actually examples of off-the-wall character designs that I can really appreciate, honestly.

Essentially, promoted people in this actually remember the level they promoted at. So someone who promotes right at 10 takes the experience of a level 11 unit to gain their next level. It actually goes some distance to reduce the penalty for promoting early.

Felicia and Jakob's level for this purpose is 0, so they gain experience completely normally, and their max level is 40. Because their stats already take promotion bonuses into account, their stats will be lower in the late game. But they serve as excellent early boosts that don't completely lose all function at the end, and they gain some benefits exclusive to them. Starting out as ultimate support characters, or the fact that they'll gain promoted skills far earlier than anyone else. It's just really nifty design in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The prologue is honestly a very good representation of Fates in a nutshell. The setups showcases the mechanical changes pretty well, it lets you get used to them at a reasonable pace, and the story also shows it’s hand at being nonsensical garbage as well.

Kaze is actually really good. He’s a straight up mage tank that can tank literal human waves of them due to the dual guard mechanics, 1-2 range WTA weapon and his res. Rinkah as a stat backpack gives him exactly what he wants stat wise, and also allows him to tank physical units surprisingly competently, so a couple of them mixed in the mages doesn’t screw him either.

Given how your units as a whole generally suck on enemy phase, Kaze being competent at it is really welcome.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I honestly don’t mind Azura, but that’s more because she’s unintentionally hilarious.

She’s also the only character in the game that actually does something. Yeah her actions are dumb, but no one’s smart in this game so.

Edit: And yeah, +1 to the problem with the countries. The writing is absolutely atrocious even past that, but I can’t think of how a good writer would even start to work with this beginning setup we have with the countries.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Shadows of Valencia is a remake of FE2. The only previous plot before that was the Marth one, and neither of them have much nuance.... but they were also literally like NES games.

Fates still manages to do worse than both of them. Hell, Fates is the worst story and writing out of all the Fire Emblems period, and Fire Emblem has had some crappy writing in it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Them not flying to you and the fact that Ryoma will gladly destroy you if you wander into his range. I honestly didn't mind the Lunatic version of the map because while the logic of the map is weird, it's also a really small puzzle map that gives you most of the necessary information from the start. So iteration times of figuring it out are pretty short, and it's more interesting than a generic map.

My solution was to have Corrin and Felicia go right immediately to kill the samurai leader, and then run left quickly to join Azura in crossing the river to provoke the other ones.

Story-wise, the justification for running out of time on the map is utterly stupid and it shouldn't really be a game-over, but it's still one of the smallest sins of the Revelations story writing.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually did that, and regretted it. The support is bland as poo poo.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Because of the way the route's designed, you're very likely to reach a quick A rank with Azura and your starting servant. And them with each other if they got the support, which Gay Fates might do?

So we're likely to see the support up to A regardless. I put the extra effort after for the S support and it sucked hard.

I actually qualified for the S support with the servant accidentally due to just actually using the dual strike support.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually hate Dragon Fang for the non-zero times it has gotten Corrin killed for me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
When I was playing myself, this is the definite turning point of the game's writing as 'what the gently caress?'

Azura just randomly deciding to jump off the cliff and all was kind of ridiculous itself, but the fact that the brain trusts just decide to walk up to the fortress and say 'I can't talk about it' is like, ....what?

I knew I was in for something special....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The funny thing is that last update THEY have a good reason to fight you.