Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Vegetable posted:

I hope the season starts with them burying the characters that aren’t coming back so we know for sure they’re not coming back

Dannie died on the way back to his home planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Only a couple more seasons until we get cyborg Ed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dead or alive, you're coming with me (to colonize Europa).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Glad we're in the 2000s. I don't get why so many people are eager for this show to do a big time jump to become another space opera set in the future. The "alt history" angle is the biggest unique factor that makes it hit different than Star Trek, The Expanse, The Ark, Dark Matter, et al. I'm also glad if they did quietly ditch a few characters between seasons-- while I like the alt history angle, the half-century running soap opera nepotism dynasties were straining credulity.

Only 26 years between the start of S1 and the landings on Mars.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think we should have a competition to see who we think is U.S. President on the show in 2003, because neither George W. Bush nor Al Gore would make sense as candidates in 2000 given the lack of inside access they had in real life. I'm going to stake out Mario Cuomo if it's a Democrat and John McCain if it's a Republican.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lol if you think it won’t be another old astronaut

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vegetable posted:

lol if you think it won’t be another old astronaut

03 might be a real historical figure who loses 04 to an old astronaut.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacebump posted:

03 might be a real historical figure who loses 04 to an old astronaut.

If you want to pick John Glenn, go for both!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

They need to make Ed POTUS. Then somehow give us POTUS…IN SPACE!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
It's Danny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jimmy.

Carter.

Or.

Nothing.

:mad:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

bawfuls posted:

A decade per season is a good pace, they just failed to commit to cycling characters in and out over time as they should

This is exactly the issue, it's a pretty bold move but one that could have paid off if they had committed to it. Sticking with increasingly extraneous characters instead of spending that time on the next generation was a mistake and I don't know if they can fix it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DesperateDan posted:

show jumped the shark first episode of season 3 by not taking the opportunity to murk everyone from the first two seasons, which were fuckin' great

i just started season 3 and i was a bit disappointed about this, but Danny surviving that cable smack really soured me on the start of this season.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

alright, through episode two and i can tell this show is going to poo poo. where's ed's crew from the shuttle? why is ellen running for president? why does Not SpaceX exist in a world where NASA isn't contracting launches out to the lowest bidder?

whatever, i'll still keep drinking that garbage

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

susan b buffering posted:

alright, through episode two and i can tell this show is going to poo poo. where's ed's crew from the shuttle? why is ellen running for president? why does Not SpaceX exist in a world where NASA isn't contracting launches out to the lowest bidder?

I don't understand your last point, because it intuitively makes sense to me that if you've got a lucrative business like space mining that independent companies would want to get involved. But I think you're talking business stuff that I'm not following, could you unpack it for me?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't understand your last point, because it intuitively makes sense to me that if you've got a lucrative business like space mining that independent companies would want to get involved. But I think you're talking business stuff that I'm not following, could you unpack it for me?

maybe i missed it, but i don't think the show has really mentioned commercial space mining where i'm at? i've no doubt theres more going on with the space corporation than meets the eye, but the way this season is unfolding so far leaves me unimpressed.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

maybe i missed it, but i don't think the show has really mentioned commercial space mining where i'm at? i've no doubt theres more going on with the space corporation than meets the eye, but the way this season is unfolding so far leaves me unimpressed.

It's not a major plot point or anything, but Helios winning the Helium-3 mining contract from NASA is in the "here's some of what happened during the time jump from last season" bit at the top of episode 1.

edit: double checked, that part mentioning Helios is like two seconds long, so if you blinked you could've missed it, ha.

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 20, 2023

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wasn't it also mentioned that Helios made most of their money from fusion, and that they are so rich because they run the whole pipeline from Helium 3 mining to power generation?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Edward Mass posted:

I think we should have a competition to see who we think is U.S. President on the show in 2003, because neither George W. Bush nor Al Gore would make sense as candidates in 2000 given the lack of inside access they had in real life. I'm going to stake out Mario Cuomo if it's a Democrat and John McCain if it's a Republican.

According to the Wiki, Gore was Hart's VP but I don't remember them actually saying that in the show (maybe in one of the newspaper montages?)

If it's Gore or not, it's still probably going to be a Democrat since Ellen is a Republican and so far they've just flipped back and forth. I'm thinking like Bill Bradley or something, who's then succeeded by either John McCain or Colin Powell. Or possibly Biden in 2003 which could be them having some fun

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Biden did SVU :doink:, he can do FAM :colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Biden did SVU :doink:, he can do FAM :colbert:

Yeah no.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
i hope biden does FMA next

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Riptor posted:

According to the Wiki, Gore was Hart's VP but I don't remember them actually saying that in the show (maybe in one of the newspaper montages?)

If it's Gore or not, it's still probably going to be a Democrat since Ellen is a Republican and so far they've just flipped back and forth. I'm thinking like Bill Bradley or something, who's then succeeded by either John McCain or Colin Powell. Or possibly Biden in 2003 which could be them having some fun

A lot depends on if Ellen ran and won in 1996.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Senor Tron posted:

A lot depends on if Ellen ran and won in 1996.

The Republicans got smoked in the mid-terms, so I'd have to assume Ellen's chances of re-election are low.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

The Republicans got smoked in the mid-terms, so I'd have to assume Ellen's chances of re-election are low.

I agree especially after the bombing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I agree especially after the bombing.
Country reelected Bush after 9/11. If anything I imagine the bombing of a space agency should galvanize support for a former astronaut.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Country reelected Bush after 9/11. If anything I imagine the bombing of a space agency should galvanize support for a former astronaut.

True but the country wasn’t divided like it is in the show.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

True but the country wasn’t divided like it is in the show.

lol

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

And I'll add LMAO.

If anything, I'd think her coming out would kill her re-election chances over anything else. And that's assuming she ran for a second term at all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This actually feels like something they'd be dumb enough to do. The big story is whether he pardons his brother for killing the love of his life.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Was talking to a friend about it, I feel like McCain is the most likely Republican president. Bush Sr. maybe? I can't remember if they made him Reagan's VP in the show or not.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
looking forward to season 6 when 80 year old Danielle and 95 year old Ed have much whiter hair but otherwise look the same

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

There’s actually a lot of world building stuff hidden away in the news reports between seasons that they list with bonus content for the show, including a segment that goes into greater detail about the discovery of fusion and commercial helium extraction:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Is that on the apple+ site?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Handsome Ralph posted:

Was talking to a friend about it, I feel like McCain is the most likely Republican president. Bush Sr. maybe? I can't remember if they made him Reagan's VP in the show or not.

He wasn't, because in our 1976, Reagan chose Richard Schweiker to be his Veep pick, and For All Mankind follows this lead.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Somehow, Ralph Nader.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

JEB would be a funny potus to pick.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacebump posted:

JEB would be a funny potus to pick.

Again, since George H.W. Bush is never chosen by Reagan to be his VP, the Bush dynasty never happens.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just realized we're rapidly approaching "X washed up politician as himself" territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

HW Bush should still be running the CIA in this timeline and they should mine that for content