Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Re: tech, someone upthread was laughing about iPods being available in 1994 but that's only 7 years earlier than they actually came out. To us, 1994->2001 feels like ages apart but if there was the funding and will to get things done just a bit sooner, starting in the late 1960s, a 7 year jump on things like iPods seems extremely reasonable

And with regard to CRTs, flatscreens make a ton of sense as to something they'd put tons of effort and funding into developing- not only does the form factor make sense on spaceships but the difference in mass and the lack of a potentially hazardous vacuum tube are all enormous pluses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

Cojawfee posted:

Also why are they making the failson look so weird. I looked up pictures of him on the internet and he looks normal.

He's the first person to be simultaneously 20 and 55 years old

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

gohmak posted:

I'm pretty sure scientist by the 90s wouldn't react like that if a colleague came out.

I'm genuinely curious how old you are

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
We're actually past Waco and the first WTC bombing

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

TIP posted:

Dalton Wilcox, poet laureate of Mars

You must buy your mission commander at least as much jewelry as you buy your rover and other poems and observations, humorous and otherwise, from a 2 year mission in valles marineris

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

Mokotow posted:

Why would North Korea stay quiet about landing on Mars? That runs counter to how their propaganda works.

The guy doesn't look like he's running a flourishing biodome or anything up there. He may not have any communication so the DPRK may think he's dead and wouldn't want to advertise "Hey we slammed a guy into Olympus Mons and killed the poo poo out of him!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

Noob Saibot posted:

Kid A really?

Why not something more iconic like Limp Bizkit, Korn or Linkin park. Hell i'd even take Backstreet Boys or Nsync. I didnt even know who radiohead was at that time

gonna airlock u

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

Jerusalem posted:

Guys I'm starting to get worried that they're leaving it awfully late for Jimmy Carter to become President and make the world a better place.... :ohdear:

in 2003 Jimmy Carter was the exact age that Joe Biden was when he took office

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

Edward Mass posted:

I think we should have a competition to see who we think is U.S. President on the show in 2003, because neither George W. Bush nor Al Gore would make sense as candidates in 2000 given the lack of inside access they had in real life. I'm going to stake out Mario Cuomo if it's a Democrat and John McCain if it's a Republican.

According to the Wiki, Gore was Hart's VP but I don't remember them actually saying that in the show (maybe in one of the newspaper montages?)

If it's Gore or not, it's still probably going to be a Democrat since Ellen is a Republican and so far they've just flipped back and forth. I'm thinking like Bill Bradley or something, who's then succeeded by either John McCain or Colin Powell. Or possibly Biden in 2003 which could be them having some fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation

Senor Tron posted:

A lot depends on if Ellen ran and won in 1996.

oh whoops i totally forgot season 3 was in her first term and not second