Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
New episode was fantastic. Can’t wait for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ixnay posted:

They have a bunch of clips of alternate history news footage on the show page that go into the events a bit deeper:

Just watched all of these. I feel like they had similar videos up last season. Lol at how this timeline eliminates the Bush family from national prominence.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I read the episode description before I watched. After seeing the word “tragedy”, I expected it to get so much worse than it did. For a while I thought the people smoking weed would die, then I thought everyone that stayed at the wedding would die, and then I thought they may kill everyone left at the hotel. Kind of shocked the hotel situation didn’t get worse, but glad. I have no doubt Bill Clinton is going to lose the presidential election this season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So season 1 is the moon landing season. Season 2 is the space base season. Season 3 is the Mars season. This show has a 7 season plan. What could the next four be?

Just taking some wild guesses
Season 4, going beyond our Solar System.
Season 5, First Contact.
Season 6, Alien Conflicts. In this season, an elderly Ed hits an alien with a cane.
season 7, Founding a Star Trek like federation.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 11, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

My buddy raised the point: what's going on in the actual Middle East during this timeline, now that fossil fuels have been depreciated?

Or are they just not gonna touch that at all?

The first Gulf War didn't happen. They had a blurb about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ed is going to Mars in a hotel powered by farts

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm going to guess Ellen will be stabbed in the back by her VP and impeached.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm guessing it will happen. They def had the set up by saying the guy she wanted for VP is far right/super religious. He will stab Ellen in the back and out her. Then slash NASA funding (possibly after the lose the Mars race to Ed's fart ship), creating a set back season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 17, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

My post was about Margo being outed as a spy, but this is a good line of thinking too. I don't think they could really impeach her for being gay. She is in a straight "relationship" and has a child. If she is outed as gay, the worst they can do is just not vote for her in the next primary. While people being outed against their will sucks, it would be an interesting plot. You end up with a big infight in the party, where the far right run a bigot candidate (probably trumpian/maga) in the primary to try to get rid of her. Maybe her VP runs against her too. The Log Cabin Republicans have been around since the 70s and apparently did some stuff in the 90s, so maybe they will come into play.

I guess they could just have everyone resign from her administration to try to force her resign, but even Trump was able to find enough dipshits to run things in his last days when everyone else was jumping ship.

They won’t impeach her for being gay, but it will lead to a situation where she lies under oath like Clinton and gets impeached for that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Did they remove the between season videos? I went to go watch the rest of the videos from between 1 and 2, but now all of them are just gone.

I believe they did. I know I had watched those before but couldn’t find them again when I looked.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Drunk in Space posted:

Gonna lol when the three ships arrive simultaneously in the exact same spot and try to barge each other out of the way to get planetside first, only to find that China has already secretly landed there and built a base.

I’m guessing either the Helios or NASA mission has a problem at the finish line, leading to the Soviets winning while NASA/Helios helps the other ship. This combined with Ellen’s impeachment and Margo being exposed will lead to a bad decade for US space travel.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Trying to get people to watch this show is significantly harder than getting them to watch Ted Lasso or Severance. I don't understand.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

That episode was amazing. The last few minutes were such a wild thing to leave us on.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Ivan cooking alive in his suit was pretty nuts. I enjoy that the show doesn’t shy away from spaces ability to gently caress you up.

One of my favorite aspects of this show is it never forgets space is extremely hostile to human life.

Is the smooshed astronaut embedded into one of the shuttles or is there a human pancake floating around?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's been around 10 years each time.

In season 6, they easily avoid the pandemic.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Penitent posted:

I've been wondering how Moore and the writers will approach the big historical beats like the 2000 election, 9/11, and the war on terror and my theory is that they just won't.

Now that they've got Ellen in the white house and can show us the Presidential drama up close as an element of the show, my theory is that they will glaze past the 2000 election drama and substitute some other catastrophe appropriate to the fiction of the show in place of 9/11.

I'm guessing they will give lip service to vague middle east happenings but basically steer clear - who wants to write a show about moon bases and landing on mars and then have to blend in Islamic-extremism, middle-eastern terrorism, etc?

Maybe Ellen’s dumb far right VP starts a war in the Middle East after Ellen is impeached. I kind of assume they won’t do a 9/11/war on terror parallel.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

My speculation on where the season is gonna go:

-Ellen has a homosexuality related scandal and is impeached, leaving office.
-Margot loses her position/is prosecuted. Either through through being revealed, or revealing herself as a gently caress you to the agents blackmailing her.
-The existing anti-NASA sentiment combined with the Ellen and Margot scandals give NASA political opponents a perfect storm to point to the agency as being irresponsible, too powerful, and without oversight.
-NASA has many of its operations shifted to private industry, governed by political panels like the one Margot set up for astronaut selection.

I also think it's possible that they will still do a collapse of the USSR, just happening a few years later than it did in our universe.

This is basically what I think will happen. At the same time, this show tends to be optimistic. I’d be shocked if they end the season without some kind of hope for next season.

I think Ellen gets stabbed in the back by her own party. This will cause her to not only be impeached but also be removed. Then her far right VP becomes POTUS. He takes funding for NASA to appease the coal and oil anti NASA protestors.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

What exactly are goo balls?

Peanut butter, weed, and depending on the recipe other things.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder which characters/cast members will be around next season. I kind of assume Danny and Kelly will be there simply because they are younger astronauts that have gotten a decent amount of screen time. I also expect Aleida to be back since she is the main young person that gets screentime at NASA.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 9, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

For All Mankind Season 7: a super elderly Ed and elderly Danny explore the galaxy in Star Trek like fashion.

edit:

I wonder if Molly shows up again this season. I kind of expected her in the most recent episode.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 9, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Could've been a budgetary decision not to hire the actor for an episode just for one shot of her painting and one line saying hi. (I didn't think of that, was speculation on NASA Vending Machine.) Hope we see her in an episode where she'd have more to do, I miss her!

I've never heard of NASA Vending Machine. I have a flight tomorrow and will listen to an episode. Thanks for mentioning it!

edit:
This weekend I was finally able to convince two of my friends to start this show. Progress.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 11, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The show is optimistic but bad things still happen to main characters. I'd be shocked if Margo gets through the season without getting caught.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

She's not going to prison or even needing a pardon, that's just not what this show is.

Two main characters died on the moon’s surface last season. While this show is positive, this isn’t Ted Lasso. They are clearly setting something up with the Margo plot. Her actions led to the deaths of two US astronauts.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Yes, characters die doing heroic things in space

They don't get shamed and sent to prison for espionage, especially when the show has shown a bunch of KGB stuff without ever even mentioning the CIA

This show has spent 2 seasons setting up Margo-Aleida as a parallel to von Braun-Margo

I’ll give you they have been setting up that parallel. As it stands, the two astronauts that died in the recuse wouldn’t have without Margo leaking secrets to the Russians. She has blood on her hands.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Yea it's really surprising that Apple TV is putting out great content, but i've enjoyed everything i've watched and haven't even watched some of the bigger, well reviewed things. See was what got me to start watching, CODA and Ted Lasso kept me watching and now For All Mankind is keeping me going.

Edit: And now just checking something, I See that it's getting a 3rd, final season, which I didn't think was coming.

Watch Severance if you haven't already.

TIP posted:

VP Ed is a funny idea but I don't know if he could handle being so powerless. I'm just imagining him in Veep episodes instead of Julia Louis Dreyfus and laughing.

I never realized I wanted Veep Ed until your post.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 14, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wee Bairns posted:

Camera sure settled lovingly on the cans of Pepsi for a little of that sweet product placement, but having that fare available makes sense from the fact they flew a goddamned hotel to Mars.

They had also Shiner beer next to the Pepsi

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Is the lie that Ellen tells under oath to get impeached going to be "I did have sexual relations with that man"?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Again it's not an email sent to an individual receiver, it is a radio signal sent from another planet. The only way to ensure it goes to NASA and only NASA first is if it is encrypted.

Why would they be sending video of the bad takes that required reshoots?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The last bit of this episode was great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm sure it won't happen but what if Danny is the most senior surviving Helios astronaut?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

How many astronauts did each mission start with and how many are left?

edit:
This show has a panel at SDCC tomorrow at 2:45 p.m. (assuming this is Pacific time)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 22, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Really want to know if the water/potential life is ruined now

I'm going to be bummed when this season ends. This show is so much fun.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm not getting the Kelly "lifeforms in the water" subplot. Even if they find it, in the short term the need for water eclipses any other considerations I'd think. This can't be the only water on the planet with life in it.

Even if there is no use for the life, the discovery would be the biggest in human history.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Also who the gently caress designed the space drill where the only control to stop the pressure from overloading it or whatever has to be done remotely? Especially when Ed is literally playing with some kind of throttle at the drill site. They should have put the "do not explode" button on there as well.

Turns out the private Space Agency isn't the best at designing things.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

withak posted:

The survivors of the martian cliff collapse dust themselves off, only to find that they are all now infected with the martian microbe that was released when the aquifer blew.

Ed and Danny are also infected. It turns out this significantly lengthens their lifespans. Buckle up for 5 more seasons of Ed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ellen is going to resign rather than get caught lying under oath and will do the Nixon pose while leaving. Far right VP is going to wreck NASA’s budget after all the Mars disasters. He is going to be pro oil and coal, setting back the planet…until next season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

Haven't they repeatedly stressed that NASA is self funded? Or did you mean, he's going to take their money and spread the wealth?

I believe you're right. In my head I want to say the lines were NASA is practically self funded now but assume that I misheard. I imagine they can still screw over NASA's funding pretty significantly and divert a lot of the funding to the military. It feels like this season may end on a sadder note than the other ones. I kind of doubt it though because the hopeful tone of of the show.

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder if we'll get something like Dems threatening Ellen with outing but she just finally goes out there and outs herself.

imo it is going to be far right VP, they've gone out of their way to play him up as a shithead a few times.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Enjoyed the new episode and excited to see how they close out the season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

This show always has such great music during the space/Mars scenes. Ever season has something wild happen in the last episode or two. Super excited to see how they close out this season.

Sivart13 posted:

Also, is Apple TV+ bad at streaming content? I'm on fiber but I got hella buffering / low quality video problems until I gave up and torrented it.

I’m shocked every time I read about issues with apple +. I’m sure part of it is because I use an Apple TV but stuff from Apple’s servers never have problems for me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hasn't Sonya Walger been dropped from the cast though?

I suspect that if we were going to see her this season past those first two episodes, we'd have seen her during the episode were Karen went to see oldmate stoner husband.

Like, I'm not discounting future cameos from the character but I think the show's basically done with her now.

I hope they let her come back for at least one more episode. They need to start closing out some of the og characters or make a fairly dramatic medical discovery soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The baby will be born, then after the next time skip it'll be Joel Kinnaman deaged to look 10 years old.

Or they should copy how What We Do in the Shadows is doing Collin Robinson this season but with Kinnaman’s head.