Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I want Joel Kinnaman to somehow be in every decade of this show as an active astronaut. Ed just getting older and older but somehow still spaceflight capable and still driving that sports car from the 60s.

Also I hope the Cold War ends officially with the marriage of Margo and Sergei :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just caught up on episode 5 and wanted to sneak into the thread to say :lol: at "How inspiring!" before the cut to credits :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Danielle is legitimately the only competent person on Mars and one of like 3 actually competent people in the show (Aleida and Bill are the other two, Will's alright maybe, maybe) and God it must be so frustrating for her having to deal with everybody else's bullshit. Even Margo has fallen, which is sad to see, even a possible happy ending with Sergei (as unlikely as that now appears) which I once wanted more than anything doesn't really justify a lot of the bullshit she has allowed to happen this season.

Ed being a giant hypocrite and a selfish rear end in a top hat is entirely in keeping with his character so I can't be too mad about that, but him leaving NASA because he was sick of nerds running everything* only to go straight to happily helping the Soviets keep a lake of water on Mars secret so his company can profit from it..... :argh:

Wayne: Karen, find the movie of your life, what do you want to be?
Karen: Nestle.
Wayne: Then go be N.... wait, what?

* Turns out Margo was absolutely right and Danielle was 100% the best person for the job, and beat Ed to Mars despite all that so-called "in-the-moment" stuff that Molly tried to claim she wouldn't be able to deal with as well as him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair, if Helios hadn't been nearby she wouldn't have felt the pressure to push for the surface when the dust started clearing at the last second, and just gone around for another orbit. If she hadn't had the Soviets onboard too (and lost two of her own crew in the process of saving them, which again only happened because Helios hosed everything up) then the Habitation Pods would have been set up with the right amount of food/water and space for the original complement.

Every step of the way she has had other people's dumb poo poo getting in the way of her doing her job at a high level. There was the drama over the Command of the flight from Molly jumping the gun which itself was based on a pissing match with Margo. Then her old friend basically throws a tantrum, tells her she only got the job because of affirmative action, then bails to join a private firm which pushes up the schedule from 4 years to 2. Her co-pilot falls off the wagon and she does the right thing by grounding him, and Helios (Ed specifically) immediately picks him up despite her laying out exactly why the old school bullshit "let's sweep alcohol and drug abuse under the carpet!" mentality couldn't continue.

But she does the work, she assembles her crew, she even adds Ed's daughter to the crew and doesn't just dismiss her as "Ed's daughter", taking onboard her argument for why her credentials beat that of the botanist they planned to take originally. She gets Sojourner up and out there, they prove that NASA and their nerds who don't have fighter pilot " balls" have more innovative tech than Helios when they deploy the solar sails, they're well-organized, competent, professional, and it's paying dividends. Then Helios and their bullshit flat management team override Ed's decision to save the Soviets (who are in this problem because they tried an Ed-style piece of bullshit that backfired on them) which leaves Danielle no choice but to do it instead, which she does without complaint even knowing it will likely mean they have no choice but to return to Earth.

Even then she's figuring out potential ways to salvage the trip and thinking on the fly like apparently Molly thought she wouldn't be capable of doing (by the way, Ed overriding Helios' command lockout comes thanks to one of those nerds he looks down on!), she keeps two crews together and everybody appears to be more than capable of working under her apart from the Russian commander who seems very much in the Ed mold, as the way they so casually got on immediately demonstrated. Even after making it to Mars, she has to deal with technical issues, the distraction caused by Will's revelation, and then she discovers the Soviets she saved and the private company that tried to stop her getting to Mars in the first place are icing NASA out to go divvy up a giant water resource together, and that Ed apparently had absolutely no issue with going along with that and had no intention of even giving her a heads-up despite a seemingly pathological hatred of Soviets up to that point in his life.

Basically, Danielle owns, and deserves better, is what I'm saying :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ed's gonna come back and explain that they did find life, and that he got very excited about bringing her samples, but then he found out one of the Russians found the first sample 3 seconds before him, at which point Ed lost all interest because he wasn't going to be the first anymore, and just dumped his samples in the trash.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just made the connection that Molly is the same actress that played Penny on :lost: and my mind is a bit blown.

What the fuccccck!?!? :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

i personally cannot imagine a world where the videos wouldn’t be encrypted and run through like eight or nine bureaucrats at NASA to ensure they represented the agency in the best possible light

but, hey, that’s not dramatic

95-year-old NASA Bureaucrat: Wow, how nice to hear this young man talking about how he was such a happy kid growing up even if nobody else around him was. :corsair:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

If we get any more real world politicians as US Presidents who do people reckon? Gore and McCain?

I feel like they won't be able to resist Obama, though maybe 2000 would be too early, 2004 perhaps following somebody doing a one termer pulling a George H.W Bush to Ellen's Reagan?

But it's still not too late for Carter to get his time in the sun, goddammit! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mark my words, the Habitation Pods are gonna be a big thing as they try to start a Mars Colony. They'll be pondering how they can make these habitats. These habitats for humanity.

A helicopter lands on a peanut farm. The farmer wipes the sweat from his brow and watches as NASA approaches warily.

"What kept you? :clint:" asks Jimmy Carter, soon-to-be President of Mars. :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I unironically hope this is the plot.

It seems very unlikely.

As if Ed would pass up the chance to be the first person to be stranded on Mars :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

IDK he didn't love being the first person stranded on the moon.

Ed: Doesn't count, there were Russians on the moon at the time too.... if you can count them as people :mad:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

I trust that Ed has matured enough to accept his biracial grandchild. And by 'biracial' I mean 'half-commie'.

Sneak-peek from Season 4:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd like to hope Ed's line about,"Think about the wonderful future we're creating here!" was his hosed up way of trying to justify that he's basically been reduced to a hired gun doing a rich man's bidding even as it puts his own country on the backfoot, because if he STILL genuinely thinks he is the good guy here it's going to drive me crazy.

Count me in with those who finds almost all the earth-based stories (particularly President Ellen) dull or bad, and at this point Margo - once one of my favorite characters - has just become frustrating as hell and I actually want to see her get found out and have to retire in disgrace like Von Braun did. The space stuff is still mostly good but Danny's character and storyline are awful and Ed has just lost all sympathy for me, though the set-up for next episode hopefully means it is going to be a Danielle heavy-episode.

Somebody remind me, do we know if Phoenix has a back-up lander (it would make sense) as otherwise there's a good chance all of them are stranded down there on Mars now.

Also also, I think it was mentioned briefly but where did the drill come from? The Soviets didn't bring it so was it on Phoenix (which seems most likely)? I can't see NASA providing one given they've been locked out by the Soviets. I also find it bizarre that there wasn't more Earth-based fury/push-back over Helios teaming with the Soviets, outside of one news report saying,"Maybe this means future dealings between American businesses and the Soviets?" and the Conspiracy Theorists going,"Well the President screwed that up :shrug:" and then moving on entirely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penitent posted:

Gordo going bananas on the moon and then having a long redemption arc was great.

Same with Tracey pulling it together after becoming a total celebrity train wreck.

I really miss Gordo and Tracey, they ruled.

Gordo going from a fat drunk on the after-dinner speakers circuit to getting his poo poo together and going back to the moon ruled. Even what could have been the desperately awful moment of declaring that he was going to try and win Tracey back ended up being great because her new husband basically said,"Tracey's her own woman, take your shot, it's up to her whether she's interested or not and I'll just have to deal with that."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah it was on the Phoenix, there was a line about them sending it down.

Thanks, I should have gone back to rewatch but some some reason I heard it as "NASA are sending it in a couple of days" and I thought,"Well obviously that's not right...." for a vast multitude of reasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

this is something I hated at the time in S2, it bothered me how hard Ed was working to bring Gordo specifically back to NASA. There's surely a ton of qualified candidates who could do the job just as well. Bringing in your old space friend is step N on the endless road to nepotism gerontocracy that this show seems to crave.

compared to the Ed+Danny stuff it's amazing though

Each season Ed gets just a little more entitled/stubborn and I'm still not entirely sure if the writers are doing it deliberately to show his ego is a big problem or if they think he's legit a Super Astronaut. They keep showing all the terrible, terrible mistakes he makes but also he keeps being painted as the hero/the guy you want in charge of a mission, to the detriment of the rest of NASA (and even moreso now that he's not at NASA!).

Like the Danny storyline is awful, but Danielle laid it out right at the start to Ed that he was in a bad place, he wasn't suitable for space until he dealt with his issues, and continually overlooking his problems like they did with Gordo was a recipe for disaster... and here we are!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

the whole floating base falls onto the planet and they all melt to death.

So you're saying, we could stick the politics storyline in there.....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I enjoyed this episode way more than last, but I do want to point out a blocking decision that was absolutely bizarre.

Right at the end of the episode, Ed wakes up and finds Danielle sitting next to him reading a bible. She gently teases him by saying it's good if he feels like poo poo because that means he is alive. The camera movement and sudden change in audio then reveals that literally 5 feet away the ENTIRE time Kelly has been sobbing dramatically over her dead boyfriend while everybody stands around sadly watching. Apparently Danielle just got bored and decided to read the Bible and then hit Ed with some trademark banter while all this was going on?

One thing I really liked was Failson accurately noting that Karen used Danny, which I'm glad she finally got called out on because holy gently caress lady.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They bring Molly to NASA, Margo tearfully admitting that Molly was right and all their eggheads couldn't solve this situation they need a real jock fighter pilot ace to solve this also I've been feeding info to the Commies for a decade so please save us Molly. They then explain literally everything that has happened this season to her, and then wait for her words of jock wisdom.

Molly: :stare:
Everyone: ......
Molly: Jesus Christ, put Danielle in charge, she's actually competent!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bawfuls posted:

the soviet commander's entire personality is getting mad when Danielle issues commands to cosmonauts

Explains why he was actually respectful to her this episode, there are less chances for her to do this now!

:smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Poole is Blackadder now

Danielle trying to hire Molly to fly a rescue ship to Mars to save them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfW9znJYjw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oasx posted:

I’m going to be real annoyed if Danny gets away with murdering three people.

Will gets kicked out of the military in disgrace, Danny gets a medal and his own statue outside of NASA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

blue squares posted:

I'm trying to figure out why they would be trying to go home in the next episode... haven't they only been there for like a week?

Because everything has been a disaster, the NASA ship has damaged engines, the Russian ship is out floating in deep space, they lost the MSam, a bunch of people died, and the site of potential water they found is currently covered in a giant pile of rocks. They managed to make it to Mars and made history, but at this stage they've lost so much equipment, they have barely any food and it's going to be fairly difficult to get supplies dropped from Phoenix, not to mention all the dead people, that even without Kelly being pregnant they should probably be trying to figure out how to get back to Earth and return officially with a full crew complement and new equipment to better deal with the environment they now know more about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

Doesn't big spinny still require water to make fuel though?

I thought they just needed methane?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

Did I miss a scene where they showed how the doctor and the other Russian dude know about the pregnancy, when Kelly doesn't even apparently suspect it? Did she have to give her urine for something, was she throwing up which 100% of the time on TV means pregnancy, ANYTHING? Does this bother anyone else?

They did a blood test to check if there would be any issues with her doing the blood transplant when they performed surgery on the guy, since she was the only one who was the same blood type. Presumably that's when the doctor figured out she was pregnant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Danny: I've survived on barely any food and a SHITLOAD of amphetamines.
North Korean Cosmonaut: Wait, you had FOOD!?! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Did we ever get a line about what happened with the Vietnam War in season 1? It would already have been going on for quite a bit, but did it wrap up earlier so the US could focus on the space race?

Yeah, from memory Nixon ended the war so they could pump the money into the space race after the humiliation of "losing" to the commies.

Would laugh my rear end off if Evil Republican Vice President and Majority Democrat Blackmailer both showed up and said,"Well the President's gay, but the commies beat us to the Moon AND Mars? Get us to Europa, Boss! :patriot:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dev's somehow gonna end up the new head of NASA. I know that makes ZERO sense, but it would be pretty funny if they booted Dev out as CEO so they could sell Phoenix to NASA, but Dev ends up running America's space agency and gets to do everything he wanted to do anyway, only now with a 75 billion dollar budget. Especially if the reasoning is,"Margo was secretly working with the Commies, so we replaced her with the man who was openly working with the Commies!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The vice president walks out into the white House press room, and looks around.

VP: as we all now know, the president is a gay. We also know that men are from Mars, and women are from Venus. I'm here to announce that we are going to Venus to get our president some puss.

Speaker of the House: I don't think I've ever heard anything stupider..... wait a minute, my God, the Vice President is from Jupiter! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Next season is Mars colonisation and exploration of asteroids.

I want them to attempt a landing at Europa, in direct violation of the message HAL gave them. I'm also assuming as a given since it hasn't been directly contradicted that For All Mankind takes place in the 2010: The Year We Make Contact universe.... though not necessarily the 2001: A Space Odyssey universe :tinfoil:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

o. I thought Ted replaced Carter.

Jimmy Carter got hosed worse in this timeline than he did in our one, which is saying something, he didn't even get ONE term as President :smith:

Although maybe he got to keep his peanut farm at least? :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't they mention that Ellen had aligned herself with Atwater?

Yep, Karl Rove too. The blackmailing Democrat dude mocked her for trying to hold the moral high ground with him despite happily using both of them to help her get elected, including apparently flooding voters with robocalls about Bill Clinton's affairs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mokotow posted:

Why would North Korea stay quiet about landing on Mars? That runs counter to how their propaganda works.

I know they're not quite in the same state as they are in the real world thanks to the Soviets still providing support, but maybe it's a situation like "Glorious Leader played golf once, scored a perfect 18 and never played again!" where they're constantly telling everybody that they sent a cosmonaut to Mars and he's there RIGHT NOW and everybody just smiles and nods and says,"Sure thing buddy," then ignores it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crameltonian posted:

I 100% do not buy Ed having not been homophobic at any point on screen, but I'd rather have everyone be unrealistically accepting than have to sit through yet more scenes of straights being coddled into showing basic human decency to gay people tbh.

Ed just desperately clinging onto whatever pathetic "1st" he can scrape together at this point, he's in a near panic at the moment about missing his shot at being the first Grandpa on Mars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dev's speech about how people succeed despite adversity was meant to be inspirational (I think) but honestly all I could hear was a rich dude saying,"I'm willing to let people die to get what I want."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

teacup posted:

Go watch a commie show then

Show is called for ALL mankind.... THIS was the commie show all along! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karen's season 2 plotline was widely panned by a lot of people (myself included) in this thread, yeah.

Enjoy the rest of the show!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've felt very let down by this season - the space stuff was still mostly good though the Danny stuff dragged it down (what sucks is that the ending of episode 1 and what he did was actually really loving great), but most of the Earth stuff I felt was a huge drag and even characters I used to like (Sergei and Margo in particular) just irritated me, particularly with how selfish and short-sighted they often were. President Ellen appears to be a legitimately REALLY bad President, even if I have sympathy for her stance over protecting NASA's money knowing the other politicians will descend on it like a pack of wolves the moment it is exposed. Her loving off to hang out with her ex-girlfriend after a terrorist bombing on the JSC and in the middle of potential impeachment hearings is a :wtc: moment for me.

On Mars, the Kelly extraction to Phoenix I felt could have been strong enough to be the climax of the season on its own. With everything else jammed in there it felt more like an afterthought. Also, I have to say the decision the crew made to all stay behind on Mars kind of fell flat for me because I'd already assumed they were going to do that, since they were talking about needing to get the weight down, and I just figured,"Oh right, so I guess as lovely as it is they'll decide to stay since that drops a shitload of weight immediately", so having that be a big dramatic moment didn't really hit all that strong.

loving :lol: at Dev discovering people who aren't hyper-wealthy don't get to just decide to "rough it" for a bit by walking away from high paying jobs and giving up all their stock benefits to help an already hyper-rich dude get richer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mr. unhsib posted:

This basically would have been the season 1 climax all over again, plus a pregnancy.

Make the climax of every season a seat-of-their-pants escape from a celestial body, just with more pregnancies piled on each time :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I realized that I'm old as gently caress

Season 5 is going to air in 2024 and be set in the year 2024. It will end with 90-year-old Ed Baldwin, who is still an astronaut, putting the finishing touches on the first artificial wormhole to help us travel to other Solar Systems to meet the alien friends contacted through SETI in 2014. As he hammers in the last space-nail with his space-hammer, he will stop to muse about how great the year 2024 is, but how he can't help but feel 2024 must have turned out EVEN BETTER in an alternate timeline where the United States was the first to land on the moon. He will then look directly into the camera as the credits roll, never once blinking.