Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Looks its not like amazing receivers can drag a poo poo rear end team to the verge of winning a superbowl or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I bet freakin Josh Malone has more yards than what's his face, I don't even remember his name, this year

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I bet freakin Josh Malone has more yards than what's his face, I don't even remember his name, this year

Julio jones

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Elephanthead posted:

Looks its not like amazing receivers can drag a poo poo rear end team to the verge of winning a superbowl or anything.

Weird grammar aside, this is actually a good point.

Over decades, it's been shown that teams with super highly rated wide receivers who lead the league in catches and yards don't typically win the Super Bowl. Don't take my word for it, look it up. I was surprised when I studied it myself.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BiggerBoat posted:

Weird grammar aside, this is actually a good point.

Over decades, it's been shown that teams with super highly rated wide receivers who lead the league in catches and yards don't typically win the Super Bowl. Don't take my word for it, look it up. I was surprised when I studied it myself.

It literally just happened. And the Bengals don’t make it anywhere near the Super Bowl without Chase going off. It’s rare for any one thing, other than Tom Brady being your QB, to translate into winning the Super Bowl because there’s a tremendous amount of luck involved in football. That doesn’t mean those things aren’t important.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It literally just happened. And the Bengals don’t make it anywhere near the Super Bowl without Chase going off. It’s rare for any one thing, other than Tom Brady being your QB, to translate into winning the Super Bowl because there’s a tremendous amount of luck involved in football. That doesn’t mean those things aren’t important.

I know it did and I'm not asserting that having top flight receivers isn't important. Chase and also Cooper Kupp just last year speaks to your point like you said. I'm just saying it's not the norm, historically, and that by and large, teams that win the big dance aren't the ones with large, gaudy numbers from their wideouts. Go look.

I did and it was surprising what I found.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

BiggerBoat posted:

I know it did and I'm not asserting that having top flight receivers isn't important. Chase and also Cooper Kupp just last year speaks to your point like you said. I'm just saying it's not the norm, historically, and that by and large, teams that win the big dance aren't the ones with large, gaudy numbers from their wideouts. Go look.

I did and it was surprising what I found.

I just looked too. And wow! Titans should win it all this year with one Derrick Henry because he is a running back and not a receiver.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

I just looked too.

It's odd how many (or few) teams there are that have a 100+ reception WR but don't win the championship. You'd expect at least 75% of them to have one but it's not the case. I guess it has something to do with a losing team playing from behind a lot that has to feed passes to an all pro.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Big Jeff

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Dallas Clark

Pro Jugs Machine
Jul 12, 2022

You mess with Kirk, and you go in the grinder.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's odd how many (or few) teams there are that have a 100+ reception WR but don't win the championship. You'd expect at least 75% of them to have one but it's not the case. I guess it has something to do with a losing team playing from behind a lot that has to feed passes to an all pro.

It's almost like only one team can win the championship per year. And more than one team has a good receiver

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pro Jugs Machine posted:

It's almost like only one team can win the championship per year. And more than one team has a good receiver

Not really what I meant but OK.

What would a good to optimistic look be for the Jaguars this year? They over paid a bunch of B rated free agents and took a risk with the # pick. But they'll have Ettiene back, a much MUCH better coach, Trevor in year 2 and they play in a pretty average to below average division. No where to go but up but on the other hand let's say TL gets hurt, Kirk is just a guy and they can't find a kicker.

They've been so bad for so long that it's hard to buy into any of it but I like Doug and I don't think Trevor stood a loving chance last year so...maybe 6 wins?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Trevor turning into Andrew Luck on the field would do it. They could win 5 games, but if Lawrence is clearly good and being held back by the dross around him, every Jags fan would be visibly erect and then reach release if Baalke is then fired.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They play the NFC East, have an uncanny ability to split with the Colts, and they play the Texans twice. If the Jags are actually decent this year, I think 7-8 wins is a solid possibility, with the ceiling being a winning season and a wildcard spot. Who knows how the Colts and Titans are gonna fare in future seasons, if the Jags can take a good step forward this season they could get in play for the division again.

I'd have to imagine Lawrence takes a big step forward this year between getting his rookie jitters out of the way and having an actual decent coach.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

It's foolish to be optimistic if you're in the AFC South.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

Trevor turning into Andrew Luck on the field would do it. They could win 5 games, but if Lawrence is clearly good and being held back by the dross around him, every Jags fan would be visibly erect and then reach release if Baalke is then fired.

Not sure how you really tell though.

Lawrence looked like complete poo poo last year but had not much to work with, was always playing from behind and had 2/3 of his rookie season with Urban loving Meyer running things. I think Peterson alone is a big step forward, I like James Robinson a lot and there's really nowhere to go but up. One would think.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Doug Peterson made Carson wentz an mvp front runner and made nick foles a champion. The roster in Philly was obviously a lot better but I think they’ll show some improvement. Not enough to have a winning record but they won’t be a total embarrassment again this year. Just a normal AFCS embarrassment

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Jags had a whopping one game where they looked like a proper NFL team last season, and that was that last game of them thrashing the Colts. Even the Dolphins/Bills wins were more the other teams making GBS threads themselves (and Jags/Bills games are generally weird as gently caress to begin with).

I think having a coach that can actually motivate the team, or at least a coach that isn't Urban loving Meyer will be improvement enough to get the Jags a respectable third place in the AFCS.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The urban Meyer saga just gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The urban Meyer saga just gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it

It really was something. Reminded me of Walter Mattheau in Bad News Bears only without the redemption arc. I know that a lot of college coaches flame out in the NFL but the way Urban when about it was practically cinematic and almost too stupid to believe.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Urban Meyer has established a high bar for all future head coaches to flame out on.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BiggerBoat posted:

It really was something. Reminded me of Walter Mattheau in Bad News Bears only without the redemption arc. I know that a lot of college coaches flame out in the NFL but the way Urban when about it was practically cinematic and almost too stupid to believe.

Buttermaker wasnt exceptionally stupid, just lazy and amoral iirc

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Buttermaker wasnt exceptionally stupid, just lazy and amoral iirc

And an alcoholic

Meyer was just a loving dumb rear end in a top hat

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Trevor mostly looked better every game until about 6 games in, and then just started to fall off of a cliff. With some better coaching, a bit more talent, and a full year under his belt I'm hopeful he'll go back to improving, but hard to trust anything the Jags do.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It would be pretty funny if the jags ruined the most bulletproof qb prospect since Andrew luck

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It would be pretty funny if the jags ruined the most bulletproof qb prospect since Andrew luck

Also entirely predictable. If anyone can gently caress him up it'll be Jacksonville. Just living there will gently caress you up at least half the way

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://twitter.com/TDavenport_NFL/status/1552691857578246144?s=20&t=_aTIWZc13FwF-j_cPqQjiA

Lol

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah I don’t want to depend on $2 steaks either though

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He was not great last year but whatever. I’m more interested in how radunz does.

Sounds like burks looks great though, all the beat crew say he’s killing it and they raked him over coals in OTAs or whatever. I bet Paul kuharsky is crying into his beer over having to find somebody else to hold an insane grudge against this season.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I’m sure he’ll find someone.

Kuharsky sucks, he makes a career on being a dick enough to justify carrying a persecution complex.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Never had a doubt in my mind about burks dude played in Arkansas weather and never had a problem

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I hope Burks does well, expectations are gonna be high since he's replacing AJ Brown but as long as he does fine enough to help our other receivers out and keep our passing game honest to let Henry capitalize that's good enough.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miamis been shopping at that same OL store and we’re stunned we keep ending up eating rubber

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Tennessee OL is gonna have issues. I’m not sold at who we have at RT and LG at all and it’s gonna be a problem I feel, even more than the last couple seasons.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Brewer is fine as a run blocker and tbh even though he isn’t great in pass pro neither was saffold last year. Radunz is definitely a question mark but he can’t be worse than Quessenberry was. Overall I suspect brewer (or jamarco Jones but I think it’s gonna be brewer) will be a slight step down from Saffold and Radunz will be a little better than Quessenberry was. It’s definitely not a strong point for the team but I think the other three entrenched guys are all fine.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Fuckin Isaiah Wilson, man

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tre Smith was right there for like 6 fuckin rounds too. Ugh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Tennessee OL is gonna have issues. I’m not sold at who we have at RT and LG at all and it’s gonna be a problem I feel, even more than the last couple seasons.

I'm simply going to make them better through the power of friendship

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://twitter.com/benyarthur/status/1554137713233772545?s=20

I’m brainstorming some nicknames for this dude. Right now I’m coming down either with Beanie Mac or Mean Bean Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Excited to see how much of the hype around burks and Philips is real