Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Problem description: I'd been stuck on a 970 for a long time and at some point (contemporaneous to windows moving to DCH drivers) I stopped being able to open the Nvidia Control Panel on nvidia drivers later than about 431.60. I'm not sure if I was ever able to launch that panel, and for a while I just rolled back to 431 to change control panel settings and then updated from there. I just sort of assumed that the 970 was hitting EOL driverwise and pushed it back in my head. More recently (unsure exact timeframe) I started being unable to use Geforce Experience either, with it erroring out with a generic 0x0003 error + I tossed that onto the pile of 'reasons I should get a new video card'

Today I was finally able to pick up a 2060, and I came home, did the DDU dance for clean drivers, and I found out that not only do I still run into both problems (the control panel just silently fails to open and GE errors out with 0x0003) but also windows no longer lets me roll back to 431 or any other non-DCH driver so I can't go back to my extremely dumb workaround. The help request is that I'd like to finally be able to use either/both programs again so I can get off of nvidia's default settings, especially now that I have a new videocard and have new features to set up.

At the very least, if nothing can be fixed simply, i'd like to know if there's potentially a third party way that I can change options -- specifically, swapping over to full dynamic range from limited dynamic range, as the latter is what nvidia defaults to on a fresh install and i can't stand how washed out my monitors are. I know there was an nvidia profile inspector going around forever ago, but I don't see that option in there on a brief look (possibly an old version?)

Attempted fixes: I've done the DDU dance (reboot in safe mode, uninstall all drivers, turn off internet, install new drivers clean) but even on a fresh install of various driver iterations neither the control panel nor geforce work. Pretty much everything I can google results in "do the DDU dance" as a solution, but I've also tried things like running SFC and creating new user profiles from various offhand suggested fixes over the years.

I have not attempted anything more complex like flattening and reinstalling currently (even if it hopefully would help) because it feels like something I probably shouldn't get into the weeds of doing at 4am (and at the very least I'd need a guide to not losing a bunch of data by doing so)

Recent changes: This issue has been ongoing for years, and what I thought would fix it (getting a new video card, finally) didn't.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

System specs: Unsure what are relevant here. I'm on a self-built computer using a 970 previously and a 2060 today and can post more detailed information on request (right now I mostly want to post this and then lie down, since I meant to play a little after getting home from work and now it's 4am).

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you can believe it, I fixed it after literal years of trying with this one weird trick:

after using DDU to wipe everything, I cleaned out everything on my computer that said it was NVIDIA related from every possible folder, including Geforce NOW (which I forgot was installed and might've been the culprit, since DDU wasn't deleting it)

turns out the trick was to just ask for help and finally stumble across the answer eventually