Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got an old Lenovo Explorer I got off ebay, it's an i7-4790S with 8GB RAM and some 256GB SATA SSD, running Windows 10. It runs a Plex server and I also have a 4K monitor hooked up to its onboard displayport output, which I use to view my Unifi Protect camera setup - 5 cameras, 4 of which are QHD capable. I can run 3 of them in 'high quality' (the wired ones), but if I try and set the same on the fourth, they all start buffering constantly (nothing is playing on Plex). The same is not true on my Macbook pro - I can have all of them in high quality just fine, which leads me to believe it's a bottleneck with this old PC hardware and not a problem with camera, NVR (Unifi Dream Machine Pro), or network capability (1G switch, Unifi 6 lite APs). In all cases on all platforms I have them displaying in Chrome in incognito mode (to disable all addons), with hardware acceleration disabled (vendor recommendation).

My questions are - does it sound like I'm right about it being the old PC hardware being the reason I can't view all cameras at high quality on the PC? And if so, what step might I be able to take to allow it - like putting in an old dedicated GPU or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If hardware acceleration is off, a dedicated gpu isn't going to do anything. It'll all still be rendered by the cpu.

You could try turning hardware acceleration back on, or check your cpu usage when enabling the fourth camera.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks for the suggestion.

Upon enabling hardware acceleration it doesn't seem to have affected CPU usage noticeably, GPU video decode usage has gone up, and I don't seem to be having the buffering problem at high quality on all cameras. I thought that I'd tried this before, but I must not have. I'll see how I get on with this, the advice is much appreciated.

If hardware acceleration was off, does that mean CPU would have been limiting capability?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Most likely, yes.