Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd settle for some schemes. Just trying to guess at what the Deathless vehicles look like for LI has stopped me from building anything.

It seems like the SA standard is to paint the vehicle in the infantry cloth color, with accents in the armor color - so white with a black stripe for the Deathless, then dark brass or bronze for the piping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
I picked up a sisters of battle Palatine to turn into a imperialis militia warlord HQ. Anyone have any advice on making it seem less sisterly? I'm gonna chop off all the fleur de lis and Inquisition symbols(the weird rosary I'm planning to turn into a chain attachment to a melta bomb) but does anyone have any ideas as to what to do with the weird knight helmet they have? should I switch it out for a shaved down SM helmet to imitate power armor or a guard helmet of some sort? I don't have greenstuff, only milliput at this point so I'm kind of out of luck in terms of sculpting because in my experience milliput is better for larger scale stuff.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Stephenls posted:

I'm talking about these.

I know we've seen plastic Veletaris. What we've seen is a plastic Veletaris Storm Section with volkite chargers and storm axes, which I've been talking about. My point was, there's a good chance we'll see a kit for the missing Veletaris Vanguard and Command Sections, possibly as an upgrade sprue to the plastic Veletaris Storm Section...

...but for the other Solar Auxilia troops that are getting plastic kits, their resin kits went OOP a while before the plastic kits were announced, and this resin Flamer Section kit -- which in Heresy 2nd edition is a loadout option for the Veletaris Vanguard Section -- is still in production now (albeit currently out of stock). That suggests it might be a while before we see upgrades for the Veletaris Storm Section to turn them into bodies for the other reinforced void armor options.

fwiw, the flamer section that has a kit is the infantry tercio one, not the veletaris one. the heavy flamer is a new option, like you said, and the flamer section is one of the first SA models they released. i’m sure they gave them the heavy flamer option just to pad out the upcoming upgrade sprue

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

fwiw, the flamer section that has a kit is the infantry tercio one, not the veletaris one. the heavy flamer is a new option, like you said, and the flamer section is one of the first SA models they released. i’m sure they gave them the heavy flamer option just to pad out the upcoming upgrade sprue

Hm. Point.

...weird. Is it just me, are the only Solar Auxilia regular-rear end non-reinforced void armor unit in Liber Imperium who can even take flamers the Tactical Command Section and the Companion Section? There's no Flamer Section anymore at all.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

the price for the battle group is wild lol

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ijyt posted:

the price for the battle group is wild lol

$260 CAD is a bit much for me, I think. Maybe I'll just buy an infantry box later.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Stephenls posted:

Hm. Point.

...weird. Is it just me, are the only Solar Auxilia regular-rear end non-reinforced void armor unit in Liber Imperium who can even take flamers the Tactical Command Section and the Companion Section? There's no Flamer Section anymore at all.

i hadn't even checked, but yes. maybe they'll be back in the campaign book, but that is very weird

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Does heresy have damage on top of wounds like in recent 40K or is it still one wound is one wound?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Does heresy have damage on top of wounds like in recent 40K or is it still one wound is one wound?

One wound is still one wound. Models also don't have the larger wound counts of 40k so it generally works out. A regular tactical marine has one wound, a terminator or veteran has two, a praetor has three, and a contemptor has six.

There are a couple caveats there though. For example, if an attack's strength is at least twice the target's toughness then it inflicts instant death and the model is removed if the wound is unsaved. There is also the Brutal special rule that forces extra saves, but can't spill over to another model. For example, a terminator with two wounds is hit by a thunder hammer with Brutal (2) and S8. The terminator has a 4+ invulnerable save and would need to roll two dice thanks to Brutal. If it fails any of them the thunder hammer is S8 and would instantly kill the terminator. So if it fails one save it would suffer two wounds and if it failed both it would technically suffer four, but the extras are discounted and are not carried over to its unit. As you can probably guess, it makes sense to roll saves against Brutal attacks individually. Thankfully, they're not that common so they don't slow the game down too much.

A side note here, but I wish they'd change Brutal to be extra wounds after saves similar to the Multiple Wounds rule in WHFB/Old World. I think it would clean things up a little and thunder hammers, dreadnoughts, etc. wouldn't be as powerful as they are now. They'd still be really good, just a little less reliable.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I remember that a lascannon would vaporize a space marine or something in third edition.

Don't think brutal was there, but still seems simpler than whatever 40K is doing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

No imagery of the Deathless vehicles in Great Slaughter - but there's an unattributed white Stormsword with gold trim and a green (?) accent.

Could be Boromite Devils with weird lighting, though.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i hadn't even checked, but yes. maybe they'll be back in the campaign book, but that is very weird

I just went back and checked Heresy 1st edition Book 4: Conquest again, and the Auxilia Flamer Section is wearing reinforced void armor according to its unit profile. So I was right the first time, and in 2nd edition it really has been subsumed into the Veletaris Vanguard Section, and there’s no missing void armor regular flamer guys.

Which is an interesting decision. Of the reinforced void armor units, in 1st edition you had either the Veletaris Storm Section, which had volkite chargers by default but could swap them for rotor cannons or power axes, and then you had the flamer section which always used flamer. In 2nd edition you’ve got the choice between Veletaris Storm Sections which have volkite chargers by default but can swap them for storm axes, and Veletaris Vanguard Sections which have rotor cannons by default and can swap them for heavy flamer. So the storm axes replace power axes and the heavy flamers replace regular flamers but the general idea behind the reinforced armor troops are the same, it’s just now there’s two units each with two weapon options instead of two units, one of which has three options and one of which has one.

(Also there’s the command section, which is new.)

I think this is a sculpting decision? In first edition that flamer section has very distinct sculpts with dedicated fuel cannister backpacks so they got to be their own unit; in second edition everything is much more about “how much can we fit on this sprue?” so each unit gets about the same number of weapon options.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Continued effort

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Are the new auxilia still on 25mm bases?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Meduson! A character with, I assume, some fans!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not a fan of the model and especially not a fan of the studio paint job, but I'm glad IH finally got a character model. They've been waiting long enough.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm one of them!!!!!!

Model is fine. Not amazing, not awful

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Was thinking of making a 1K pts Militia ZM force for no particular reason, and going for Legacy+Warrior Elite to represent a vanilla Army Force and to capitalize on the box of Lez Grognards that I already have.

But the first list I made - Command (halo+familiar), HQ squad (sniper rifle), 2 Discipline Masters, 3 Medics, 6 Ogryns (one per Les Grognards Ogres stl), two Grenadier squads (plas, melta) and one FS squad (3 autocannons, using half the Grognards support box, the other half going to command, medics, etx.) felt... not enough, esp. since the only guy I ever play with is Custodes.

I don't know where I'm going with this, maybe just venting.

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
I honestly can't imagine playing against Custodes on ZM with a marine army, let alone Hard Mode with the IM. Your melee is going to have functionally zero chance against Custodian Guard, but I guess you could go blob infantry squads with Discipline Masters, and try and drown them in bodies?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Could you use boarding action/ITD terrain for ZM games? HH is mighty tempting but I can't imagine going whole hog into a full regular army but a thousand point force for ZM games sounds a lot more reasonable, and I already have 2x ITD sets.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The rule of thumb that I've seen has two Boarding Actions sets being enough for the ZM action, so you should be good. You may need to include some larger openings to accommodate Dreadnoughts and whatnot (or just get really invested in the Wrecker/terrain destruction rules).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can totally use that terrain. At 1000 points you could play on a 3'x3' board. Or something roughly equivalent. I've played games that size with the newer ZM rules and they've been fun, but I'd recommend decreasing the amount of reinforcement points you get. It was very easy to have all of my units on the board by turn 2.

If you're unfamiliar, players get 6 RP to start and generate +2 per turn. Different FOC slots carry different costs - troops are 1RP to deploy, elites are 2RP, etc. You spend RP during deployment and anything you can't afford gets tossed into reinforcements and you're able to bring them on later. This also lets you outflank at an additional cost. This cost is dictated by the mission being played and will usually be 1-2 additional RP. This system works really well at 1500, the current standard size. It forces choices to be made and is something to keep in mind during list building. At 1000 points you're flooded with RP. Just something to keep in mind.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Militia is both extremely cool, and also total dogshit. It's even more amplified in ZM between you can't even flood the board with trash because the units are capped at 15 models.

I have been tinkering with a ZM list to bring to lvo next year, but it's really bleak if you want to take anything other than just Ogryns.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm also playing with some C&M lists and sending them into a ZM seems like a blender.

Ogryn and Grenadiers seem to be the way to go. I think fire support squads might be a sleeper hit (they come on as troops) and Rapiers would be silly but allowed.

Don't you need to spend an HQ reserve cost to bring in an attached Discipline Master?

E: Looks like that's just for Independent Characters joining a unit! So Discipline Masters and Medicas are both much more viable in ZM than I'd thought.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 14, 2024

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
First thing I notice opening the Solar Auxilia box is that they use a universal dozer blade / tank commander / cuppola weapon guy sprue, with multiple head options. One of those head options has the entire back of the helmet -- from the brow to the nape of the neck -- as a separate piece, to preserve detail. So there's yet more precedent for a willingness to do a multipart Mark V helmet.

EDIT: Also there are 31 25mm bases in the bag of bases, which is odd because there's only 26 guys, and the Warhammer Community article suggested that there'd be only 25 bases and we'd need to supply our own extra base if we wanted to build the marshal as a separate figure. I wonder if there was an earlier version of this box with an extra five dudes in it and this base bag was packaged before a change of plans, or if this means the default solar auxilia infantry box will have 30 guys in it and this is just from bags of bases they put together for shipping with those. I've gotten extra bases in kits before but never that many.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 16, 2024

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Is there a part code on the bag o' bases? (long-rear end number probably starting with 9939) Wouldn't be the first time they hosed packing something up despite what the mould sheet says to put in the box.

Feels like 25s are getting rarer these days, might be consolidating down to a few groupings that work with various codes 'close enough'.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Is there a part code on the bag o' bases? (long-rear end number probably starting with 9939) Wouldn't be the first time they hosed packing something up despite what the mould sheet says to put in the box.

Feels like 25s are getting rarer these days, might be consolidating down to a few groupings that work with various codes 'close enough'.

No, it's just a transparent bag as far as I can tell.

If anyone else gets the box I'd be curious if it's identical across all of them or if I just randomly got a weird bag with extras.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i picked up some mk iiis for my emperors children army because i love the look of them, but they dont really fit and so i decided to make an iron hands army. what do you guys think of this yellow? too schoolbusy?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i picked up some mk iiis for my emperors children army because i love the look of them, but they dont really fit and so i decided to make an iron hands army. what do you guys think of this yellow? too schoolbusy?

I presume you mean Imperial Fists rather than Iron Hands and that yellow looks solid. I personally prefer the slightly desaturated yellow colour that quite a few of the black books colour plates have but the mustard yellow is pretty classic for Fists.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

slap a burnt umber oil filter on it and its ace

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mercurius posted:

I presume you mean Imperial Fists rather than Iron Hands and that yellow looks solid. I personally prefer the slightly desaturated yellow colour that quite a few of the black books colour plates have but the mustard yellow is pretty classic for Fists.

i absolutely meant imperial fists, whoops. i also like the desaturated look, the ink i bought looked darked in the bottle, sadly.

ijyt posted:

slap a burnt umber oil filter on it and its ace

would a sepia or agrax work?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

No, it's just a transparent bag as far as I can tell.

If anyone else gets the box I'd be curious if it's identical across all of them or if I just randomly got a weird bag with extras.

I counted mine just now and got to 30/31 bases (not sure if there was a 25mm from an older project floating around on my desk)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i absolutely meant imperial fists, whoops. i also like the desaturated look, the ink i bought looked darked in the bottle, sadly.

would a sepia or agrax work?
If you’re going to do an all over wash you might be able to work a tiny bit of purple into it and it’ll desaturate the yellow somewhat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Warcom has posted a pretty good article about solar aux heraldry today, primarily focused on Legion-affiliated regiments but providing some useful info about numbering schemes and markings for everyone who's survived historicals.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

Warcom has posted a pretty good article about solar aux heraldry today, primarily focused on Legion-affiliated regiments but providing some useful info about numbering schemes and markings for everyone who's survived historicals.

Go back to the source:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
And there’s what the new MkII plate looks like. Flush banding, as is visible on the back of the new MkIII legs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like the updated mkII. At the very least the better proportions are worth the design changes. And if it makes plastic mkII possible I am totally on board.

Hibou is a fantastic model. Good design, good posing, and the face paint is a nice touch. His warlord trait is sick too.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
I’m glad people getting the marks they want, but, where the hell is plastic MkV? It’s always been one of the coolest sets of armor to me, and so emblematic of the chaos (ha!) of the Horus Heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

I’m glad people getting the marks they want, but, where the hell is plastic MkV? It’s always been one of the coolest sets of armor to me, and so emblematic of the chaos (ha!) of the Horus Heresy.

I want Mark II, V, and a refresh of IV about equally, to be honest. Leakycheese did a video predicting V would be next; not sure I totally buy it (it was contingent on the idea that it'd be part of the Beta Garmon rollout, which doesn't seem to be the case), but still.

The real point is with that specific mini we've now seen approximate resin designs for all the non-plastic armor marks save for I and VII -- we've got the new Mark V apothecary, this guy for Mark II, and that one Thousand Sons praetor for Mark IV. Which means GW is doing CAD work on all of them. I still hope the plan is one per year.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 24, 2024