Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I heard of 30k here on SA first, about 6-7 years ago. I really liked the idea of marine armies clashing but the cost of FW models put me off.
Instead I spent the past couple of years slowly collecting an army worth of beakies... Rogue trader era mins, a couple of FW MKVI kits, as well as trading for MKVI plastic bits and pieces at every opportunity. Even ended up with an old metal Contemptor, an MK1 Land Raider, and an MK1 plastic Predator (beige coloured plastic with the nice curvy turret).

True to the whole Rogue Trader beakie thing, I started to paint them Crimson Fists.

Since the new set leaked I've been waiting for it to come out, so I could bolster my beakie army further, at the same time people started to try and pull me into 30k. Some even said they wont mind me playing Crimson Fists!
Now that the set is on the horizon, I've decided to bite the bullet and to match the lore (and my colours), I will be making a Night Lords army. Can't wait to start painting!

Ps: While waiting for the new box, I went and spent waaay too much money on some FW kits. Luckily they already removed stuff like transfers and dice from their webstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Endman posted:

If you add Alexis Polux from FW to your Crimson Fists (he’s their first chapter master), you could reasonably claim them to be just after the First Founding, which isn’t too removed from the Heresy itself.

I think I will keep the Rogue Trader era stuff as Crimson Fists, and make the new stuff as Night Lords. This way I can have my cake and eat it too.

Edit: And don't even have to buy any new paint. :smug:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 19, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

2 part shoulder pads? Seriously?

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Stephenls posted:

Yeah. Resin moulds are made of rubber, and can flex, so resin studded pauldrons can have perfectly hemispherical studs even if the pauldron is cast in one piece. But the stainless steel they use to cast styrene plastic for the plastic kits is rigid, and so’s the plastic, so both side of the clamshell mould have to separate cleanly with no undercutting.

If you look at studded plastic pauldrons on the current tactical 40K kits or the old plastic mark IVs, you’ll see that the studs in the center of the pads are hemispherical, but as you get closer to the edge, they become pill-shaped, because the casting process can’t create a space between where the underside of the hemisphere would be and the outer curve of the pauldron. These studded pauldron are cast in two pieces so the studs can be hemispheres.

Okay I get it now, thank you for explaining! So this is the reason we have these elongated weird skulls on a few kits, like the Garden of Morr statue, or on one of the Empire greatsword legs I've just painted recently.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Pinwiz11 posted:

gently caress the Emperor, and

gently caress the Chaos Gods. Seriously, these are our options?

Join us Night Lords...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hixson posted:

the Night Lord trilogy written by ADB is some of the best Warhammer fiction in existence.

Now that I recently decided on Night Lords, I think I have to get those books.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Nancy posted:

Do we have any idea on if little boxes are going to be released alongside the new big box? I'd want to do a kill team of Mk 6s but I don't think I want a whole army of them.

I'm worried that the transfer sheets and new upgrade kits will release the same time as the box set. Which means I will be able to pick up the box set on release day and wait for the transfers and shoulders to arrive from GW later. :(

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

AnEdgelord posted:

Looks like they added a new section to the GW webstore

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy

I'm betting, they will announce tomorrow that the box will be up for pre-order on the 4th.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Someone just sent me this. Yes in this quality...sorry about that.

This would corelate with the "less than 200 pounds".

Edit: Also exactly the same price as Ash Wastes.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 30, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:stare:

That can’t be pre discount, can it? It works out to $234. Which even if it is post discount is still a great price.

I run the numbers here.

Ash Wastes is £180 from GW web store and £152 in the cheapest retail store here.
So if this leak is true and this box is also £180 from GW...

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm interested to see what the ameribucks price is because I thought they said "under $300" and Ash Wastes was $300

The only number I remember from the stream is "less than £200". But Ash Wastes is $299 from GW web store... sooooooooo...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

BULBASAUR posted:

Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

Night Lords! Mainly for the colours, but I like the iconography and aesthetic as well. I hate all primarchs tho, Curze included.

(I really like Solar Auxilia, if the new job I'm starting works out well, I might...)

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hixson posted:

why hello my fellow impaled-IF enjoying friend

Well Emperor be damned, I feel motivated. The paintjob I have to aspire to!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hixson posted:

I painted some guys:

paint paint paint paint

On it!

Also I just ordered my Age of Darkness box. It cost me 177€

Edit: 40k scouts have been moved to 30k... heh. (Also drop pods.)

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 4, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Ghazk posted:

Please respect the death of the 2nd and 11th legions. They aren't the samurai legion and anime legion.

They are the all female legions.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So I got a shipping notice from GW on the Heresy stuff I ordered. Given not the big box, but still transfers and stuff which were marked as available on the 18th.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Rick Priestley commented about the 2 "lost legions" on Arbitor Ian's youtube video.

quote:

"Interesting piece and lot's of interesting and credible theories there! I have no more idea than anyone else what the truth of the matter is, of course. The backstory has certainly evolved and acquired some mass of detail since I first drew up that list of Space Marine Chapters and their Primarchs. I'm not really familiar with a lot of that material either, but it's nice to know that the spirit of the thing has been preserved and even nurtured. I will make just one observation - and it's about the intent of the missing legions - where I think GW have perhaps taken a slightly different tack than I had in mind. Not that this matters of course, and I appreciate that in creating a series of books about the Heresy a lot of things I always intended to be unknowable or semi-mythical had to be addressed directly; something I could never have foreseen when I wrote Rogue Trader. The intent is this: that the removal of records and obliteration of the memory of these Lost Legions was not a punishment but a reward - rather than being purged they were being absolved - and this was based on the assumption they had done something utterly terrible (naturally!) but then done something equally positive to earn redemption. Or think of it as a stain that cannot be erased except by extinction. The Chaos Chapters are unforgiven - out and out bad guys - but the Lost Legions, whatever their deeds, have been forgiven and the stain upon their reputation erased with their memory. At least that was the idea... but times change don't they ;)"

Comment under this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL39MSbwTOg

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I received my FW upgrade kits and minis this Tuesday. I got my decals today. My FLGS posted that they got the HH boxes and they have enough for everyone who preordered as well as some extras for the shelves...

But I did not get a notification from them about my order while my friends here did, now I'm nervous. :ohdear:

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

But I did not get a notification from them about my order while my friends here did, now I'm nervous. :ohdear:

So uh, I checked on my pre-order status with my FLGS and it said my order was canceled. But as the money was taken from my card and I got an invoice from them, I gave them a call to check what happened.
They told me it looks like it was an administrative error, because they see that the payment was successful yet the order was canceled, but no problem because they have 1 copy left...

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

After my little adventure with the pre-ordered box, I attended a Scale Modelling event yesterday. My country's GW distributor attended the show, and unknown to me posted on their FB page that the first person to come to their stand and say "Magnus did nothing wrong" will get a HH box with a hefty discount.

I got a box for a 150 euros. I got a rulebook for sale.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I made (renovated) a Deimos Pattern Predator!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Can't take my eyes off the Gardens of Hecate artbook. <3

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Crosspost from the Oath thread. I completed my first 30k squad!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

New plastic Predator

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/08/tackle-anything-the-age-of-darkness-throws-at-you-with-the-versatile-new-predator/

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I've done a few quick 30k commissions.

And now that I'm done with those I can start working on my 30k vehicle project which is getting out of hand.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

moths posted:

It was difficult to suppress the classic Crimson Fists urge accompanying 40 beakies in a box.

Same, but I'm enjoying the Night Lords transition.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean they're also pretty close to the Crimson Fists colour scheme, right down to having literal crimson fists in some cases...

Exact reason I decided to go with a Night Lords army! I just can't decide if I should add Rogue Trader era armor graffiti or not.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cessna posted:

How is this even a question?

JcDent posted:

The armor graffiti is cool, it's Aliens Colonial Marines taken to the max. If you can pull it off, go for it.

Then I need you guys to come up with terrible puns and really short jokes relating to the Night Lords. I mean DIE slowish is great but so far the only Night lords related graffiti I came up with is "NIGHT SHIFT"

Edit: Also "For SKIN!"

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Z the IVth posted:

There's the evergreen "kil kil kil"

Obligatory!

moths posted:

At minimum, FLAYER written in the Slayer font. Maybe "STEAL YER FACE" if it's not too wordy.

This is fantastic! Keep 'em coming!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Eediot Jedi posted:

Unfortunate Son
Inkurzion
Night Jaunter
Claw enforcement officer
Hang 1/10
Free Skin Checks!
Future Educator

Bruce Slayne?

Bruce Payne

Maaan I'm taking notes, fantastic stuff guys.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Randalor posted:

I've been wracking my brain, but the only Night Lords graffiti that I can come up with that hasn't already been said is "Your face here" and "Organ Grinder". Apologies if someone else said those already and I just overlooked them.

Your face here with an arrow, is a really good one!
Got a few more:
Night errant
Rhythm of the Night
Lord and savior (Lord and Slayer?)
I want a piece of you
Love leather
Alone in the dark
Bad Medicine
Nightshift
Monsters Inc.

Also I tried my hand at a few and holy poo poo, I need to get new eyes... I think I'll look into decal printing.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which would also work as NL armour graffiti, especially if you give the mini in question the pointing Mk III Lightning Claw.

Eeeexcuuuuse meee!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I think I see the current meta developing.

In other news I ordered some blank decal sheets for my printer! Will let you know guys how it goes.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 24, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

moths posted:

Make sure to spray seal your decals after you print them! It basically the difference between success and an annoying failure.

I have read that sealing is not needed with laser printers? Should I seal anyway?

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cessna posted:

You should probably put a layer of some sort of varnish over ANY decal, even if only to keep it from being damaged by handling.

Oh I varnish any surface where I put decals and varnish over as well. But apparently you need to spray varnish your decal SHEET once you print them, inkjet printed ones anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a laser printer, ordered both clear and white decal papers, will let you know how it goes!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So I got the decal sheets, but as the best / most visible armor graffiti colour for Night lords would be white... I'm looking for print shops with white tonner nearby.

Didn't think this completely through. Anyway, I can do test runs at my home printer on normal A4 paper, checking text size and fonts, etc. And once I have the sheet ready I can bring it to a nearby print shop hopefully.
Not like I don't have a lot of other stuff to do on the army. So have to take things slowly.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 26, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hixson posted:

I finished up a volkite/rotor cannon terror squad!:

Soo sexy. I ordered the special weapons set 3 weeks ago and still waiting for them to arrive to start my own Terror Squad.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

DaysBefore posted:

Night Lords own so loving hard, those rule. Are the skull helmets still available? I know Forgeworld pulled most of the Legion-specific upgrade kits last year whoch was lame.

The Terror squad helmets are still available here.

However the old MKIV Terror Squad torso/chest pieces are gone.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So I wanted to do this for a while. Still trying different versions as well as a friend doing a 3d file for a jar of pickles and a jar of Nutella to print...

Original eating from a can:

Can of soda version:

Edit:
Bonus image:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 1, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Today is leak day. Even if this is not unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Broken Record Talk posted:

Must have shipped that US mail.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Looks like a tank drove over the box.

You don't want to know where the guy had to hide it to sneak it out of the factory.