Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

2 part shoulder pads? Seriously?

I believe it has something to do with casting the shoulder studs correctly and not having them be weird shapes. It’s a plastic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

Saturnine is probably way up at the top for me but it’s pretty deep in the endgame of the series.

First heretic and betrayer follow each other and are also really good.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

How are the various melee weapon options in the new edition? I got the impression that it was all power axes all the time before and the other weapons weren’t great. Did they make 2 handed chain swords worth using because they look awesome.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Following up my melee weapon question, how are bikes of all varieties in the new edition? I heard they took a bit of a kicking. I had started putting together a melee focused outrider squad for my white scars with just bolters on the bikes, is that still okay? I’m not really looking for maximum power gaming efficiency here.

I swear I actually have ordered the new rules and army lists, I’ve just been stuck at work since June.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

The bike rule changes are kinda strange, but if you ignore how bikes behaved in 1.0, in 2.0 they're priced fairly competitively though not all their rules compliment well. In practice they favor shooting over combat, so that hit and run rule is better thought of as a defensive way of getting out of unfavorable melee than charging in by yourself. The 5+ DM roll is going to help you maybe once or twice a game when you're moving into position. SkyeAuroline is also right on in that command squads on bikes are the best way to run melee bikes. Comically, jetbikes, which are only a tiny bit better, cost a ton more points and are not worth it command squads or special characters :psyduck:

Think of outriders as highly mobile tactical support squads with twin linked weapons. Twin linked with a big move makes them very reliable. Now, not everyone needs this in their list, but if you have a RoW that makes them line units you've got yourself an interesting proposition. Probably best paired with shotguns for max :black101:

Jetbikes are basically relentless heavy weapon squads with 2W, deepstrike, and big movement. Again, not everyone needs this, but if you've got a RoW making them line units its a very juicy option. They're one of the cheapest ways to get multi meltas into a list, which they can bring to bear pretty much anywhere on the table. Same with plasma cannons, same with volkite culvrins.

So to sum, unless you've got a legion that increases their combat effectiveness or survivability, bikes are mobile special weapon squads that want to shoot and close in only when its guaranteed. RoW that make them line are strong because it lets you take lots of strong shooting line units with high mobility, though at the expense of total wound numbers. Command squads on bikes are the best melee bike option for most legions (not counting some unique legion units).

I guess my outriders are now a command squad. 🤷‍♀️

Now I just need to work out a way to model a bike riding standard bearer that doesn’t look like a marine attempting to cosplay a sailing ship.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Quite a large amount of the heresy space wolf range feels like it was left to the interns.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Every time I look at the dog heads it gets worse. The little ear grills, the whisker stubble holes, the little boopy nose on the end of the snout. What were they thinking? :woof:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Rat hat.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

If one were wanting to create a power armoured command squad of the rudest gentlemen to accompany a praetor on foot, what loadout would you consider? I already have 4 guys with axes/combat shields and a standard bearer with a fist that I’ve been working on but I’ve heard they can go up to 9 in the squad now? Should I mix in some other power weapons or lightning claws or just go ham on the axes? I just want to throw them all in a land raider and make poor life choices.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

What legion? If it's Sons of Horus, you can take a Chieftain Squad from the exemplary battles pdf. Power Axes (upgraded to the Carcosan ones, since you already have a boarding shield) and banestrike bolters for everyone!

Death guard, so they might have rad grenades so I’m thinking of throwing some power mauls in there too.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Power mauls with rad grenades make sense at first glance, but most of the 2W+ guys you're trying to double out will be rocking a 2+ save and won't be too worried by them. Axes could work but have the opposite problem: they'll get through the armour but need to do it more than once to kill a dude. If you're looking at throwing the squad at 3+ saves take swords, mauls or lightning claws, hunting 2+ will be fists and hammers. You could also just keep them cheap with chainswords to eat casualties and still put out a respectable amount of damage at WS5. Mauls would be the choice if you're thinking of fighting lots of Mechanicum after their book comes out.

Alternative (and correct) take is to run whatever looks cool to you on your dudes.

🤔 I might stick with the axes with a dabbling of fists or hammers. I’ve been using the phalanx warder shield and axe arms on mkv armour and it looks rad as heck. MkV armour owns.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I just bought the resin armoured proteus less than a week ago. 🤔

Let me know what other kits you want in plastic and I’ll go make poor financial choices there too.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Do the plastic contemptor weapon kits come with the necessary bits for fitting them to the forgeworld resin dreadnoughts?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sprue 1 (the sprue in the AoD kit, with the AC/las/HB) does. Sprue 2 (conversion beamer/volkite) is missing the two rectangular blocks that the arm slots into the shoulder with, so you would need a copy of sprue 1 (or cast or printed spare blocks) to fit them.

That’s….certainly an interesting design choice. :psyduck:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So can someone explain to me how exactly I should consider loading out Cataphractii? I haven’t actually played so I don’t know how much I should focus on worrying about mixing rapid fire/assault weapons. Like if I have some auto cannon and Combi bolters that squad can’t shoot and charge right? But then if I put in plasma blasters instead then does the rest of the squad need Volkite chargers? Also do the forgeworld Volkite charger kits fit Cataphractii arms?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Cataphractii are Relentless, so they completely ignore the "can't shoot and charge" from Rapid Fire/Heavy. You're safe to mix shooting types with them.

Oh neat. I had it in my head that relentless just meant moving and shooting heavy weapons.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

New death guard praetors just previewed, I want these guys so bad.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Power armor guy would be a great candidate for a non Moritat Destroyer character, if we had those.

There is always Crysos Morturg. I’ve been thinking how I would kitbash that guy anyway 🤔

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Does anyone have some good shots of the white scars Mkvi head upgrades on their models? I still can’t decide if I like the things based on the GW glamour shots.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

New night lords upgrades finally shown. I think these ones look pretty good actually. 🤔

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Holy poo poo they’re rereleasing Aevos Jovan and the missing auxilia rapier teams. Jovans currently rarer than hens teeth and costs a fortune if you wanted him. I just paid far too much for a complete auxilia transfer sheet, I wonder if that’s coming back too.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking of 3rd party figures do people actually like those tortuga bay figurines? I see them all the time on heresy Instagram but to me they look like the legions of the Michelin man.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

There isn’t a melee upgrade set for the new Mkvi marines yet so if you want mass despoilers it’s a lot of expensive forgeworld resin despoilers and chain axe kits.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So…is the carnodon tank just gone from the new solar auxilia list or has every review I’ve found somehow all failed to mention it? 🤔

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

If you wanted to drill and insert a pin into a resin vexilla because those things are flimsy as hell, what size brass rod would you use? 0.2mm?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

You could alternatively replace the entire bannerpole if it's feasible?

I suppose I could but I figured that inserting a pin would be easier than clipping out the pile and crossbars without the whole thing crumbling to pieces.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Lucinice posted:

That sounds like it should get changed in an FAQ.

I actually have a second question. I plan to kitbash some breachers, so what's good on them?

Speaking of kitbashing breachers, does anyone know if the phalanx warder and or ultramarine breacher shields and arm pose well with the regular fw tac marine bolter arms?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I hope those arms go well with the resin mkv, I know I’ve coveted a big despoiler squad in heresy armour to match the rest of my boys. MkV is the true armour choice for the discerning gentlemen.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Can’t be the only one who upon getting the plastic Mkvi kit had the dawning moment of horror that I was unable to just get the hairdryer out to adjust the legs to sit appropriately on rubbly resin bases.

:negative:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking of auxilia I’ve been staring at the new Raven guard upgrades and the auxilia I have on my shelf wondering if the liberation force rite of war is semi decent enough to be worth doing a themed force for. How exactly would you go about using it?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Okay so between the new loyalist librarian and the soh/fists character reveals I can’t be the only one who feels they all seem a bit…chonky all of a sudden.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Mark 5 is the choice of the discerning heresy enjoyer. It’s got heresy right in the name.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Rules question, any sons of Horus can exchange their power weapon for a Carsoran axe/Tabar and Justaerin come stock with a Carsoran axe and can replace them with power weapons. Are you able to go Carsoran axe>power weapon>Carsoran Tabar? Seems a bit odd if so because why the heck would you take the stock axe if you can swap to the Tabar for free.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Realised after all these years that the raven guard contemptor is styled exactly like my crocs, been bugging me for ages that it reminded me of something. I will not be taking questions.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Looking at the new blood angels weapon sprue it looks like it has the same confusion as the sons of Horus one, what kit are you supposed to use the fancy one handed bolters with? because they don’t give you any arms for those in the kit, the tac squad doesn’t have any that go with them and in the resin despoiler upgrade both the bolt pistols and chainswords are one piece with the arms. Where does that leave you, trying to source the new assault squad arms (good luck) or chopping up resin despoiler kits?

Also, in the sons of Horus kit they give you two combi banestrikes which as far as I can tell literally nobody can choose to take.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Broken Record Talk posted:

My guess is that they expect you to use the arms for the Sargeant pistol weapons, or to chop up another resin kit, which is relatively standard for FW kits.

Some Sons of Horus characters and Terminators can take Banestrike Combi-Bolters.

I think literally the only ones who can are terminator praetors. I mean Justaerin and some chars have them but like, they already ‘have’ them on the models. You could definitely use one of the one handed bolters on the tac sarge but they are a mix of right and left handed so…🤷‍♀️

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

I really like the Dracosan, I wonder how close it is in size to a Chimera, because I would definitely counts-as that. If I played Guard anyway.

It’s significantly bigger, it’s been available as a big old resin brick for years.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I see Endryd is getting a mini with the new book.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/15/heresy-thursday-endryd-haar-punches-the-heads-off-world-eaters-in-the-battle-for-beta-garmon/

Speculation time since a few new mkV resin characters are starting to crop up, how the gently caress are they going to handle the amount of studs on mkV armour if they also do a plastic release? The amount of complaining over the two part mkVI shoulder was ridiculous and they did that to make the studs properly round.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

To be fair the resin mkV are rad as gently caress. Mould is showing its age though you get a lot of bad slip on the legs, had to carve off the studs on some of mine in order to fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Honestly just amazed that we’re going to get some painting guides for auxilia. They’ve been around for years but I swear there’s like one video on YouTube period and it’s using 3rd party 3d printed minis. A new age indeed.