Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

X post from 40k:
Was the new plastic Contemptor any larger than the original resin version?

I'm hoping the Leviathan is sized up a little as well to make it look either the same size (or preferably larger) than the 40k Redemptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Also, does anyone have any updated size comparisons of the new terminators compared to the other versions from the IP?

I'm really curious on whether these feel like they're "true scale" or not.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Looking for opinions on basing. I'm liking the rim of the drill so far, but there's a bit of open space and I'd like to... not have open space on there.

The rest of the bases are muddied battlefield entering into an industrial/city area. So light uses of barbed wire, lots of dead grass, mud, tank tracks, broken building chunks, etc.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

They should have just hired Valbjorn for all Space Wolves twisted items
https://instagram.com/valbjorn?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

New armor in the World of HorusHeresyCraft.

I like the wolfhead shoulders

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

No Drill in the book? What the hell

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Still curious if my drills need to be proxies for something else now lol

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Opinions on the Termite?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Major Spag posted:

IDK what you're doing in your life if'n yer not posting HH.

Honestly just sitting around being depressed :(

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Was I dreaming, or was there an announcement for an Alpha Legion upgrade sprue?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

How much bigger are the new torso upgrades than the old ones?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Any specified release date for the Alpha Legion upgrade sprues?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Maybe people prefer plastic glue for stronger bonds?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Any leaks floating around about updated/scaled plastic Mk3 armor yet?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I'd love some mk2 armor tbh

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Stephenls posted:

Thanks! I'm happy with the effect I got from it. (More on that in a bit.)

I don't really agree that it looks like an off-brand version, but I do think it's a significant shift. It was hard to tell when we just had one of the new armor sets, but now that we have two, I think it's evident that the Heresy 2.0 model line is a much more significant revision to the actual art style of heresy minis than anyone expected.

So, check this out. Here's the original John Blanche sketches for Marks I-VII, plus the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch.

(One of the reasons why I'm so happy with my MkIII upscaling is that proportionally it resembles that Mark III sketch, kinda round and wide and stocky.)

All art necessarily involves deliberate stylization; you couldn't make miniatures that are 100% accurate to those sketches. The original ForgeWorld sculptors made some interesting decisions when interpreting those sketches into 3D. For example, compare the banding along the legs of the Blanche Mark II sketch to this:

The ForgeWorld sculptor has chosen to interpret the banding along the legs as a series of overlapping cylinders. It looks great; I love that design for Mark II and for the back of the legs of Mark III. But it's not accurate to the sketch -- that leg banding in the sketch is flush, not overlapping. The sketch, by itself, almost looks more like this guy's arms than the ForgeWorld sculpt:

(Colossus pic chosen more or less at random but you can see how the Blanche art resembles the classic Marvel method of portraying cybernetic or metal body parts; basically naked bodybuilder flesh colored silver and contoured into cylindrical sections.)

The new Mark III minis aren't an update to the old Mark III minis; they're a reinterpretation of the original sketches. They don't match the sketches perfectly, but they vary from them to about the same degree the old sculpts did -- just in different ways. And as for the art style, when I look at the proportions of the new minis, I see this:

The heads are smaller and the shoulders are bigger and higher up. This is a whole new set of stylistic choices, unbound to the previous choices by the ForgeWorld sculptors of yore. And that's really annoying if you have big old Heresy armies and would like the new ones to match them visually, but, well, artists gonna art. Artists generally want to break free from previous conventions and do their own thing, and I think that's what we're seeing here.

What I expect here is that when we get the updated Mark IV, the helmets are going to look weird. They're probably going to be much closer to that weird duck bill thing on the Blanche Mark IV sketch than revisions to the existing Mark IV plastics.

One other interesting choice I see here. If you look at the back of the legs of the new MkIII, and also the back of the legs of an Intercessor...

It makes the Intercessor look like a technological descendant of the Mark III plate. Which is... I dunno if that's cool? I don't know if I like it. I do genuinely prefer the overlapping plates to the flush ones on Mark II and Mark III. But this has got to be deliberate.

(Also randomly of note, if you look at the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch, you can see the curved armor ridges above the ear coverings; those didn't make it into actual Mark VIII minis but are a signature of Mark X armor now.)

Excellent post

Don't give the dude on the right any weapons.
Make him like he's walking the runway

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

What thickness plasticard do you use for your trim?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Well, my LGS said the HH mk3 boxes are direct order only now.

Which means this gift card I have is useless.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Was looking for mk3 armor again at my LGS and they didn't have anything in stock; apparently GW warehouse was hit with a blizzard and then flooded and now all the orders are back stocked by multiple weeks.

Also I'm kind of pissed that the assault marines box is only ten units and it's the same price as the 20 unit tactical squad. I can't keep up with the price increases, shrinkflation, or the greed :(

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Yeah it's clearly influenced by the Dracula armor by Bram Stoker.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The Emperor, circa M2, showing off what would later become a cornerstone of Blood Angels bling

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

Is that the Scrotal-pattern armour from the Witcher?

No that's the Nair pattern armor. For missions when you absolutely must look like a freshly plucked nutsack

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I loathe having tons of spindly bits sticking off of models, cause I know as soon as I drop it (and I will at some point), all those pieces will disappear forever.

Yes I have a lot of Mechanicum units why do you ask?

Other than that those look great.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i would like to see some auxilia characters based on the weirder descriptions of officers from the Great Crusade:

That is utterly badass

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They should make good rules instead of bad ones, but this IS 30k James Workshop we're discussing.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Crosspost from the 40k thread:

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have any size comparison pics with the Leviathan/post Leviathan Terminators & any of the 30k Imperial Fist Terminator Praetors?

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The reason I asked is because my best friend is remaking OG Space Hulk but with updated models for us, and I was leaning into maybe making an IF team for it.

The special release Imperial Fists Legion Terminator Praetors look great and can act as the sergeant fit me, but I don't want to pair it with the Leviathan terminators (I prefer their updated scaling) if said Praetor is comparatively tiny.