Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm long out of the game (local scene died on 8th release), but keeping an eye on the new release. In every circle I'm in, everyone is posting their Praetors... and I haven't seen a single person yet who hasn't heavily converted their axe praetor. Guess the design isn't so popular after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

Yeah, like in the Space Marine game, right?

I thought they just had long barrels and like, a lasgun for a red-dot or something. Isn't that what the Raven Guard guys get?

I'm very surprised how little Google has helped me here, but Nemesis force weapons dominate the search.

The version in Space Marine is a Stalker bolter. Is that what you're looking for?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gato The Elder posted:

Also, where do I find MK2 armor? Will GW/Forge World ever make it again? Are there third party parts that don’t suck?

Tortuga Bay does very good Mk2 bodies, but a) it's just the bodies as far as I know, so you'll need your own arms and heads, b) IIRC they're affected by the ongoing Ukraine situation so I'm not sure what fulfillment looks like recently.

Given that the Spartan model has a Mk2 crew member, it's not out of the realm of possibility for it to come back in plastic.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, what exactly is the point of the Pathfinder consul? Doesn't seem like it can actually do much of anything to justify the cost on its own, and making it less incredibly fragile (or shootier) sinks even more cost into one of the most fragile models a Legion army would get.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Broken Record Talk posted:

Given everything I've heard from the retailer end of things, as well as some various mutterings from "my uncle who works at Nintendo", they will not be returning. Everything "generic" will be moving exclusively to plastic.

Unfortunate in this case, since there's a component missing from the Legion-specific Contemptors required to mount the plastic gun arms on them that (as far as I know) isn't included on the weapon sprues, just the actual Contemptor sprue.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ijyt posted:

Genius move.

Considering they changed the hand designs so every previous weapon upgrade is incompatible with the new MkVI armor... it's on brand.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Assessor of Maat posted:

have the contemptor sprues from the AoD box right in front of me; the necessary parts are there. might be some trimming required for the plastic upper arm part to fit the resin shoulder, I don't have a resin one to compare but the connection between them looks slightly different

what is a problem, is there's only the one pair of shoulders and upper arms on that sprue. with a melta, las, auto, bolt and fist all wanting them even if you magnetize.

there's a possibility the other sprue(s) in the boxed version will have more, but it's GW, so...

Yeah, the upper arm is the bit I was concerned about based on what's been shown of them. The old contemptors have shoulders but not the upper arm, and the resin upgrade kits included the upper arm as a result - at least the previews for the extra arm weapons didn't show upper arms. I can't really look at the kit in person myself to check - even setting aside financial difficulties my local scene has been 100% dead since 8th dropped and HH/40K became non-compatible, so any money spent on it is as good as thrown in a fire.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

If my scene is anything like yours, the few HH holdouts might suddenly be seeing a massive influx of frustrated current and former 40k players. We bought 60 boxed sets, with only about 20 of them pre-sold, and folks who did not currently play ended up buying another 15ish of them. Our group has doubled in the last two months, purely because of the new rules.

The only store that had holdouts closed and was bulldozed. The one active Warhammer-related store is pure 40k (they don't even like having Sigmar players there), the other is a mixture of various games but is invite-only for all of their social media and only allows scheduling games through said social media (it's some dude's clique that happens to have a storefront). It's dead and I'm okay with that. I continue to stick around for the lore, creative modeling stuff, and maybe roping people into TTS or something. And, of course, I'm too broke for this poo poo any more.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Beerdeer posted:

PDF!

Fulmentarii are expensive beasts now. Locutarii can take legatine axes.

... hey, wait a second. The Hammerfall Bunker has rules in this PDF. Isn't that a Primaris fortification?

Also, lmao @ Fulmentarii keeping AP2 plasma.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

Malcadors are no longer the worst tank in the game!

In general, big tanks and big cannons aren't in a good place this edition. They're better run with direct fire lascannons / autocannons, which makes them compete with things like HS squads or the Kratos.

I'm gonna guess this confirms my fears IW are in a pretty bad place too.

Did stop at a much more distant store today (was already out traveling) that apparently has started a local scene. Rancid vibes and of the three games going (none 30k) maybe one had 20% of the models painted... but guess there's players on the very edge of what I'd consider feasible for travel, so I can actually think about what's practical now. (Alpha Legion is, unsurprisingly, quite well represented already, which puts a bit of a dent in that idea.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

With a bunch of new players coming into the game, it will probably take until the end of the year for fully painted armies to become normalized. Unless you're playing grogs of course, we have tons of old stuff to play with.

IWs are actually in a very good place this edition. Despite the issues with artillery, they make up for it with solid rules across the board. Their artillery RoW is probably best reserved for narrative games, but everything else gives you the tools to make some pretty solid lists.

Sorry, thought I clarified: none were 30K games. All 40K with old armies (a couple Chaos with pre-nu-TSons models, one Guard, and I think one Eldar). It's just a competitive-oriented store from the couple times I've asked around, and I've never seen one fully-painted army in ~6 years there of popping in a few times a year.

Good to know about IW.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

The four cult legions wouldn't be wearing Chaos symbols and modern colors until after their primarchs ascended to Daemonhood in late Heresy, right?

Basically when do World Eaters go red and Thousand Sons blue, EC pink, and DG green?

It doesn't seem like 40k bits would show up until the Solar War. Which makes me think that's getting a book at some point, probably after Angron and Fulgrim ascended figures.

From some cursory searching & memory:
World Eaters started to change over during the Shadow Crusade.
Thousand Sons have multiple conflicting sources for when their scheme changed, the most recent one I'm aware of is that it was simultaneous with the Rubric.
Death Guard armor isn't repainted, it's just that gross, so after Typhus pulls his poo poo.
I have no clue when the Emperor's Children changed theirs over.

Happy to be corrected if I'm remembering any of these wrong.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of command unit kitbashes: found this guy while cleaning out my boxes of old stuff, along with a good 15+ guys worth of Mark IV parts, which is... reassuring. I have no idea what to use this dude for. Siege Breaker is my best bet right now, even if the power fist is kind of unfitting I guess. Not really any other stuff that doesn't look weird with the cloak and allows a power fist... Thoughts? (I can put pretty much anything in the other hand, found the original bolter that broke off though.)

Maybe I'll do some test models and see if I want to come back in the interim.

e: what the gently caress I found 25 complete tactical marines' worth of parts, and a shitload of extra parts, just sitting in another box. including several of my truescale projects that predate primaris releases. how long have these been here???

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 5, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Other than the FW autocannon kit, does anyone make Marine autocannons that aren't Chaos-ed to hell? Surprised I haven't found a single third party manufacturer that makes them for anything but vehicles or Guard HWTs, and not finding any will put a dent in building Havocs with them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I should have clarified - looking for compatibility with the MkIII kit to make "correct" Havocs. The MkVI hands have Rayman syndrome with the older Marine kits, so on top of the arms being wrong for MkVI I don't have high hopes for compatibility. (I can make it work, just an unnecessary pain in the rear end.)

Every other special and heavy weapon, people seem to have made bits for that are compatible with the old kits - this is the only one that's been skipped, and for an iconic weapon of an iconic unit that didn't make it into plastic until 2019 I'm actually baffled.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Missing the only gun that I would have taken them with, f.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ended up picking up the box set today. Confirmed with the local community that no, there's no bayonets with shrapnel bolters in the interpretation they've been using. So, guess I've got an extra 80 points to spend and the vast bulk of my "use tacticals to pin down targets and chase them down with bayonets, trench raid style" is now invalidated along with most of my intended theming. Cool, I guess. It's not worth splashing out for chainswords on either the main 20-man block or the 10-man blocks in terms of point cost for effectiveness, is it?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That might be rules as written, but it still sounds like a pretty dumb take on the rules. How many of your local community plays legions that have access to variant Bolters?

Of the people in the store at the time I asked, one (store owner) gets hosed by a different variant weapon rule (he has a ton of combi flamers... which Salamanders can't upgrade), one is another IW player, one is unaffected... Fists player, I think? Community has multiple Alpha Legion players, no Sons (either legion, both get them) that I know of, and I think we're the two IW. So at least 4 people play the legions, probably less actually use them to be affected. May well be that I'm the only person who actually tried to use them on tacs.

I'm not in touch with the entire community, though - they exclusively organize through Facebook, my old personal Facebook is in that inactive mode (with no intent to reactivate it), and any time I've tried to make an account without my actual personal details it's been banned in minutes, before I even post or message anything, with a demand for legal ID to prove my identity. So I'm limited to just the ~7 I've seen in the shop.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, having picked up the box: I'm guessing I should wait until I can find (or afford) cyclone launchers to make Tyrants out of the terminators rather than use them straight, yeah? Reshuffled my list some thanks to the bayonet issue, took the Havocs out (sadly), and with Tyrants had enough points for "two Rhinos" and basically nothing else... which is two more than I ever hoped to paint, as someone without an airbrush, but whatever, I'll make it work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, this looks okay for Tyrants. Thanks, Broken Record. The actual join feels unsteady so I may need to reglue it in the future, and I probably should have kept it separate for painting... ah well.

Setting up a half squad of MkVI as well so I can see if I can actually paint these guys, and, uh... wow, these sprues are way less friendly to the builder than the old ones. I appreciate the optionally notched arms, but everything else is a step back. Pinning subassemblies to paint without interfering with the tolerances is going to be painful.

Sergeant melee weapons: not really necessary or worth considering as "standard"? Not building the sergeant as one of the first 5, but thinking ahead. List I wrote up didn't have them with anything special, but apparently that's not the usual method. (I'm not putting a power fist on every guy.)

And yes, I know the right shoulder is hosed up, I tried and failed to break it off and reposition it. Future models will be fixed.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ijyt posted:

Spellcrow make good cyclone bits.

That was my backup plan if these launchers didn't work. Would recommend in general- I've bought from them in the past and it was fairly good quality. Guns that aren't heavy weapons are a shitshow since they don't come with hands, but other than that all good.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yvonmukluk posted:

Stop making me want to make an Ultras detachment of Fulmentarus as allies. Or Alphas taking Fulmentarus. I'm already committed to the Thousand Sons and Salamanders (with a small force of White Scars), I don't need more legions!

Too late. The spiritual liege is calling.

Just think, though - do Alpha Legion and you won't need to spin up a new legion for each unique unit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Praetor equipment continues to throw me for a loop, but despite "just take a thunder hammer" making objectively more sense I keep coming back to the laughs of an MC disintegrator pistol. Stuck with the boarding shield for a power armor Praetor (should probably just build a Terminator one as well, but lmao the Calth one is $45 without any extra bits, and making a character out of the regular Cataphractii terminator sprues would be difficult), so I'm eating the penalty of losing the "melee weapon + pistol" bonus attack anyway, which I guess shifts it away from strictly needing to be melee to get the "value" out of it. Especially considering "slam the Praetor into enemy characters' faces" is a last resort and not the first step. Wouldn't be taking a Praetor at all if Hammer of Olympia didn't require a Warsmith, but gotta make do with what I can get.

At least the shield is arriving and will look good. Don't have a hammer but hopefully that's solvable.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What is the actual difference between rending and breaching?

Breaching doesn't affect vehicles, Rending does.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

The debate is basically- thunder hammer vs paragon blade. Do I have enough points for a sniper rifle?

Sniper rifle doesn't do much against tanks, which a Lyssatra Warsmith's unit would be shooting at at every possible opportunity.

Lyssatra fixation on gun destruction makes that pistol even more tempting though. Even if it would be 100% useless.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BirdieBedtime posted:

As dearly as I miss full Battlescribe, and as grateful as I am to the team working to get the 2.0 repository up to scratch...making these lists by 'hand' and formatting them nicely is helping me to memorize a bunch of the new rules that were added here and there.

It does.
On the note of the new rules: how important are people finding Heavy to be? Debating putting my only boarding shield on a Siege Breaker instead of my Warsmith so the latter can go off and do his own thing where he's more useful while the former hangs out with fire support. Seems like Blasts would be the biggest problem units like HSS, Tyrants, etc face, and they all have Heavy natively, but a Siege Breaker without the boarding shield would break Heavy and make them give up rerolls while still not getting to run.

Of course, Armistos doesn't have this problem, but "+1 BS for the unit" is probably nowhere near as good as Sunder would be, and I have a severe shortage of heavy weapons I could give an Armistos anyway besides a heavy bolter (not that he'd be shooting, and they're optional so I guess I don't need one)...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 14, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Demilich posted:

X post from 40k:
Was the new plastic Contemptor any larger than the original resin version?

I'm hoping the Leviathan is sized up a little as well to make it look either the same size (or preferably larger) than the 40k Redemptor.

I don't have the resin Contemptor itself on hand, but I can confirm the guns, at least, are upsized. From one of my painting sticks (yeah, the primer kind of failed on the old one, I haven't had a chance to redo it yet):

May help you do comparisons if you can find images of both with the same guns.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

hah, I kept seeing the twin lascannons on the new contemptor thinking "dang those are ridiculously huge" assuming it was always scale since nobody ever took them

Yeah, I was a little disappointed seeing that they didn't match, but I didn't want to buy a second plastic one, so I made do with what I had. Would like to have a few more Contemptors, honestly, even setting aside the mechanical good-ness.

Also, started working on bases for the box, even though I haven't had much will to work on the actual models. (It would probably help if my pin vise bits weren't so rusted after ~5 years in storage that they seem like they're going to snap if I use them. Sets back the whole "pin in subassemblies", and the only thing not-pinned that I can put together... are terminators that I need the launchers for..) Aimed for "irradiated Martian-type desert" and think I managed it. Now I just need finished Iron Warriors to put on them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

There's some tech heresy happening on Olympia uhh, some fortress somewhere in the galaxy.

I'm glad this actually worked, I just have to fill a lot of small gaps now. And figure out how to sell the top of the shoulder pad as "melted" since it's cut away for the cloak (that I'm not using). But soon I'll actually have an HQ, if only in subassemblies.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Are you using blasts and/or deep strikes heavily? If not, probably don't need the nuncio-vox.
The charger is probably unnecessary but someone else can show up with math if I'm wrong there.
I still have mixed feelings on the "fists and artificer on every sergeant" push but don't have the 2.0 experience to tell whether it's actually worthwhile or not.
Hard to go wrong with the vexilla though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TammyHEH posted:

Is there a push for this? Feels like suspiciously 1.0 thing.

I didn't mean it as a specifically 2.0 thing, just that there's a small contingent that's married to the idea of "if you have a tactical sergeant who isn't in artificer with a power fist (with which he can still easily not make back his points) you have hosed up and ruined your army forever". It's at least partly a 1.0 holdover, no idea if it even has any real basis in 2.0 rules. The rules for the individual equipment sure don't give me reason to think that tacking 35 extra points onto a sergeant is in any way worthwhile, but maybe there's some wonderful plan to it that I don't know.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

This thread is gonna neg me into collecting UM or whoever is the least popular loyalist Legion.

Salamanders are GW's least favorite.

Iron Hands, as usual, are completely forgotten by the community - I can count the number of players I've seen for them in any community on one (sadly not iron) hand.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Stephenls posted:

Although that creates its own problems. If you're running the Cataphractii as Deliverers you don't need the Spartan for 'em.

Same "problem" I'm going to be running into - I plan to run my Cataphractii as Tyrants, they don't need the Spartan, but not bringing it is a waste of already-spent money. Especially since it can push me to a 2k list if I'm careful (and find all those launchers for the tyrants) with just the box contents.

Not sure what to advise for someone not hell bent on maximizing "points for $ spent", though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Asked a friend who's a lot better at this than me, suggested "NIGHT TERROR", "SWEET DREAMS", and while not on theme, stealing from that one Dark Angel picture with "HAVE A NICE DAY" on the gun casing.

Also, it may technically be 40K art, but now that I've gone through some old Warhammer stuff I need to figure out greenstuff so I can make this dude's helmet as a one-off Siege of Terra Night Lords model - could never paint him and do it justice, but trying to get better at the modeling side...

I actually briefly considered "let's do a Night Lords allied detachment", even painted a test model sans backpack that I have around here somewhere. Then the allies chart put a stop to that, lol.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 22, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

E: I'm blind
E2: no I'm not, they had old short kits after all

For thread content, and to not double post, found a picture of that NL test model. I used to be able to paint somewhat competently, at least.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 23, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I think I see the current meta developing.

In other news I ordered some blank decal sheets for my printer! Will let you know guys how it goes.

Yeah, there's a reason I'm making a conscious decision not to buy any more dreads until errata confirms if they're intended to be this strong. (and the reason isn't just because this first dread has been even more of a nightmare to paint than the already bad infantry). They're cool, they're iconic, they fill a lot of roles... and they also remind me of playing Tau in 7th and the feelings on any suit bigger than a Hazard.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mercurius posted:

You can buy them from ForgeWorld but if you don't want to deal with resin what I've seen people do is convert them using the Havoc Launchers from the new vehicle upgrade sprue which should be plentiful on ebay.

Plentiful, but stupidly expensive. I've just about given up on making a full 10 Tyrants at this point - every eBay seller wants ten to fifteen loving dollars a launcher as of the last few times I've checked. Nobody even uses havoc launchers to justify it!

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 26, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

Cyclone launchers from the oldminators kit?

I can't imagine it's a popular loadout when you have the asscan.

Cyclone style launchers are certainly cheaper, they're just also ugly :v: I already built one of them, so I'll at least end up getting the other 4 to make a 5-man squad consistent, but I'll probably push it off far enough that I just get the launchers from vehicle kits instead of buying them on their own.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hihohe posted:

I heard Solar Auxilia dont have rules yet but i want to play them and i was thinking of getting some models to paint till they get rules, what would you guys suggest i get.

Im getting the Tactical command squad definitely.

If 2.0 works the same way as 1.0 did, you're going to need either Lasrifle Sections or Storm Sections to field a list no matter what. They were your only compulsory troop options (flamer sections had Support Squad). 1.0 had those as 20-man lasrifle sections and 10-man storm sections, so you're looking at a lot of bodies there to work with already, which may fit "paint until they get rules" depending on how fast you are.

Russes and Malcadors were the bulk of the armored options - we already know roughly what Malcadors look like ruleswise (though not their special variants), we don't know about Russes but the general changes to blast weapons and high AP don't leave me incredibly reassured. The Basilisk/Medusa are even less reassuring based on how they got massacred for Legions.

Pick up a pair of lasrifle sections & a Malcador to have a minimum viable army when the rules drop, I guess? Nobody knows when that's going to be. It was a pretty bare bones army list so there's not a ton to really recommend from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

SA is the one army where you will be dropping fat wads of cash though. IIRC, Lasrifle Section were basically €1/point.

Yup. Other armies have elements of it (see the Arquitor being $170 for 185 points of overcosted artillery) but Auxilia is entirely absurdly expensive low-points kits.