Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I have been through two decades of election watching and I can say that the anecdotes I’ve seen in Election Day posts have always been all over the place and have basically never imparted any foreknowledge about the election results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I have been through two decades of election watching and I can say that the anecdotes I’ve seen in Election Day posts have always been all over the place and have basically never imparted any foreknowledge about the election results.

I think by mid-afternoon in 2016 we knew we were in for a rough ride.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Zore posted:

Right but you'd think they'd be going for more of the 'We're actually winning, the perfidious DEMOCRATS are gonna steal it!!' in that case. It's not like Kirk is above pushing that line.

They wouldn't be conservatives if they weren't scared for no reason.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Doom!

https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/1590032616660807680

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1590042484041986050

(Basing Democratic turnout with FL is pretty dumb though. If those were my choices too I'd be looking at a plane ticket, not a ballot.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I mean Florida is hosed and VA had high mail in and ev I believe.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Doom!

(Basing Democratic turnout with FL is pretty dumb though. If those were my choices too I'd be looking at a plane ticket, not a ballot.)

Wow Florida is hosed

Stunning analysis Dave. Tell me about Oklahoma next :rolleyes:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Gatts posted:

I voted in Ohio

NOW DOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Thank you, and my condolences.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
That's too bad. We knew Luria's race wasn't going to be easy, but bad turnout is sad to see.

What about the other Virginia districts?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

One of the things i think the normal number crunchers missed is that populations from 2020-2022 shifted massively: people moved to different states/ cities to be with more like minded people.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that Florida got more red and blue Miamians might have fled for better pastures.

If you are a democrat and have means to leave, abandon Florida: it's not getting better but on the bright side it will soon be beneath the waves

It's really become the chud Mecca.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 8, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

TulliusCicero posted:

One of the things i think the normal number crunchers missed is that populations from 2020-2022 shifted massively: people moved to different states/ cities to be with more like minded people.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that Florida got more red and blue Miamians might have fled for better pastures.

If you are a democrat and have means to leave, abandon Florida: it's not getting better but on the bright side it will soon be beneath the waves

It's really become the chud Mecca.

Got a source for that?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Not sure what this means for Holchul or how this compares to prior years, but the NYC BOE gave a vote update.

https://twitter.com/BOENYC/status/1590027524213714944?s=20&t=7f4NCNyeS2kVqtv1o0gkpQ

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's too bad. We knew Luria's race wasn't going to be easy, but bad turnout is sad to see.

The thing is that VA-02 had a really high EV turnout already (for a midterm) so I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Has Kirk always been a political prognosticator as well as talking head not-vampire conservative wunderkind, or is he just especially invested in this race?

TulliusCicero posted:

Can this dude step in it enough that Biden has him arrested? So loving tired of hearing about this loving Grooming clown

He could hold a press conference where he blows up an orphanage on live TV and wouldn't be arrested. Not really how that sort of thing works.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Doom!

Wasserman burying the lede a bit
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1590047344208523265

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Epic High Five posted:

He could hold a press conference where he blows up an orphanage on live TV and wouldn't be arrested. Not really how that sort of thing works.

If the orphans were still in there :thunk:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

He’s also not counting the EV/Mail-in in that district where Ds have a larger edge than in 18 or 20. World’s gonna get a lot harder for guys like Dave with variance in voting channels as something that’s completely inconsistent State to state now.

He’s probably right on Florida though.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oh yeah, Florida’s hosed for at least the next two cycles.

I think there is an interesting conversation to be had about what happens after DeSantis, because the Rs don’t have a great bench here because he, like Trump, devours anybody that takes his spotlight, but that’s 4 years away.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

i am a moron posted:

Got a source for that?

The sinking of the world's largest sandbar or the fact that chuds flock to Florida?

Because I mean I have anecdotal evidence but every chud I knew back in Michigan either left for Florida or wanted to move there. Add to that it's probably one of the oldest populations in the country with the Villages and the crusty old Pro dictator Cuban ex-pats.

Like Florida being flocked to by olds and chuds isn't exactly forbidden knowledge, they have been doing it for decades.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

TheGreyGhost posted:

He’s also not counting the EV/Mail-in in that district where Ds have a larger edge than in 18 or 20. World’s gonna get a lot harder for guys like Dave with variance in voting channels as something that’s completely inconsistent State to state now.

He’s probably right on Florida though.

South Florida native here in full doom mode. I don’t think people are going to turn out today from the vibes of talking to people here and people being distracted by a hurricane. Feels really bad and insanely frustrating.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

The sinking of the world's largest sandbar or the fact that chuds flock to Florida?

Because I mean I have anecdotal evidence but every chud I knew back in Michigan either left for Florida or wanted to move there. Add to that it's probably one of the oldest populations in the country with the Villages and the crusty old Pro dictator Cuban ex-pats.

Like Florida being flocked to by olds and chuds isn't exactly forbidden knowledge, they have been doing it for decades.

Sure but you made a couple of other assertions I’d like to see numbers on. Wasn’t trying to call you out, was genuinely curious if there were election-making-or-breaking interstate migratory patterns that would factor into this election.

fatnoodlesfarting
Dec 3, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm observing for the D's in NOVA. Volunteered for Spanbergers district but the local party badly messed up the volunteer effort there and am now monitoring safe blue districts. First polling station, Beyer's district, positive signs for turnout but hard to translate numbers to percentages cuz of unknowns of #s of absentees. By 11 there were close to 450 votes and steady trickle of people. This was more activity than I have generally seen on Election Day in VA suburbs.

Now in Connelly's district at a college campus. Much lower turnout and lots of provisional ballots.

Apparently some trump weirdos are harassing people at a nearby polling station because there is a mayor's race of interest to them.

Wish I could be more involved in a competitive district. At least I'm doing something which helps keep the doom and gloom feelings and the dreaded wait for results at bay.. for now

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Dems performed horribly in FL in both 2018 and 2020, two elections in which the generally accepted consensus is that Dems did well. That they are continuing to perform horribly there really shouldn't come as a surprise, nor do I think it's necessarily indicative of how the midterms are going elsewhere.

VA-02 is a lot more interesting/scary though.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

i am a moron posted:

Sure but you made a couple of other assertions I’d like to see numbers on. Wasn’t trying to call you out, was genuinely curious if there were election-making-or-breaking interstate migratory patterns that would factor into this election.

Almost every article on the subject is going to quote The Big Sort (2008), so I'd recommend going to the library and reading it.

Votes themselves are secret and all we can do is wait for the count afterwards; 2020 votes are already pretty well divided down to Zip codes if you want to backsolve or go looking for some clustering and then using sources for intrastate migration such as the Census Bureau.

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
Did my part as an overseas absentee voter, not that it matters much when my district is so red that not even a democratic representative is on the ballot. It's worrying that other expats around here did not bother to vote this year.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

First results are in, time to :derp:
https://twitter.com/usa_polling/status/1590056170110480384?s=46&t=cfYcRBm3wT1mLKNZW9AVng

edit: I just realized I have no idea where these numbers come from or how reliable this twitter account is, god following midterm results during the twitterpocalypse is going to suck

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 8, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Honestly this stuff is the biggest waste of time, trying to read tea leaves on Election Day because people can’t wait a few hours for actual results.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Has Kirk always been a political prognosticator as well as talking head not-vampire conservative wunderkind, or is he just especially invested in this race?

I mean a medical board of many of his donors just stripped children of mainstream and researched healthcare that is often life and death, so not much of a difference.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

First results are in, time to :derp:

edit: I just realized I have no idea where these numbers come from or how reliable this twitter account is, god following midterm results during the twitterpocalypse is going to suck

I'm kind of surprised the GOP does so well in Guam. Is that somehow related to all the military stationed there, or does the local population just lean Republican compared to other overseas territories?

e: actually, the Northern Mariana Islands has a Republican governor as well. Huh.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 8, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Stunning analysis Dave. Tell me about Oklahoma next :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm missing :thejoke: or something but Oklahoma's gubernatorial and superintendent races are absolutely neck-and-neck.

Not guaranteeing victory by any means but don't be too surprised when Oklahoma elects a Dem governor today.

Both senate races are goners tho lol

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1590055044430581760

:unsmigghh:

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Usually i am a giant moron but today I will not be clicking a link to any kind of needle thanks

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Agreed on FL being completely screwed for the foreseeable future. It was the one state on the board which even the early vote model nerds have been saying that we're screwed in. The GOP was doing just fine in FL, but not so much everywhere else. FL is just part of Chudland now.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Judgy Fucker posted:

Maybe I'm missing :thejoke: or something but Oklahoma's gubernatorial and superintendent races are absolutely neck-and-neck.

Not guaranteeing victory by any means but don't be too surprised when Oklahoma elects a Dem governor today.

Both senate races are goners tho lol

Honestly had no idea about Oklahoma, just picked a blood red state out of a hat

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

its cool that with florida gone, if republicans can find a way to make california red too then democrats winning ever again is totally impossible

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

When did they start just directly calling it “The Needle”?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

its cool that with florida gone, if republicans can find a way to make california red too then democrats winning ever again is totally impossible

California's pretty far gone with respect to Democrats outnumbering Republicans.

You might want to worry more about New York, though.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tatsuta Age posted:

Thats about as wacky as saying that if we find a way to take Mississippi and Alabama, then the GOP will be in a lot of trouble. I mean its true, but lol what exactly is in step 2, right before "step 3: profit"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't worry, if California goes red then Texas will go blue and we're right back where we were

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Honestly had no idea about Oklahoma, just picked a blood red state out of a hat

Small potatoes nationally but citing evidence to prove I'm not making poo poo up: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/governor/2022/oklahoma/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric Cantonese posted:

California's pretty far gone with respect to Democrats outnumbering Republicans.

You might want to worry more about New York, though.

Starting to think the Manhattan/NYC statehood people had a point.