Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Maybe I'm missing :thejoke: or something but Oklahoma's gubernatorial and superintendent races are absolutely neck-and-neck.

Not guaranteeing victory by any means but don't be too surprised when Oklahoma elects a Dem governor today.

Both senate races are goners tho lol

How does something like this happen in this day and age? Like, I get that split-ticket voting is still a thing, but it's obviously not happening as much as it used to.

It's the same type of thing that just baffles me about VT and NH, where the Senate and House seats are all lean or safe blue while both governorships are safe red (all this per 538, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Who knows how it augurs for this evening but some interesting poo poo appears to be happening on the ground in WI today, with a strong youth turnout so far. I would love it if Barnes rides Evers’ coattails to a surprise upset in my old stomping grounds. Ron Johnson is a loving turd and it would be amazing to see him finally get flushed.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

How does something like this happen in this day and age? Like, I get that split-ticket voting is still a thing, but it's obviously not happening as much as it used to.

It's the same type of thing that just baffles me about VT and NH, where the Senate and House seats are all lean or safe blue while both governorships are safe red (all this per 538, anyway).

NH Govs, in actuality, have been solidly moderate no matter their party affiliation for a while. Current Gov, despite backing Rs, has been pretty defiant of Trump so he picks up that middle ground too. It’s also a 2-year term so I think in general there is more incentive to tow the middle because things can change fast.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/pasquines_us/status/1590054590010904576?t=5hRDUTHgC4Bzgdaur0I2Yg&s=19

fwiw Guam is typically very Republican because it's so heavily military and veterans

I will choose to read too much into this result and not the delegate result

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Well, in Oklahoma's case, it's because the incumbent GOP governor grifted way too loving hard and their opponent (the incumbent State Superintendent) was a Republican until about 2 years ago. Ostensibly a lot of R voters are being convinced to vote for the nice lady who's already been elected in two statewide contests (meaning she won't bring CRT or other lib shibboleths to are fine schools) while still voting R on the rest of the ballot.

State super might go Dem too because the GOP candidate is an absolute nut job and enough people know him getting elected will jeopardize our school system free government-run daycare, and mommy and/or daddy gotta work!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Gerund posted:

Almost every article on the subject is going to quote The Big Sort (2008), so I'd recommend going to the library and reading it.

Votes themselves are secret and all we can do is wait for the count afterwards; 2020 votes are already pretty well divided down to Zip codes if you want to backsolve or go looking for some clustering and then using sources for intrastate migration such as the Census Bureau.
It doesn't help that South Florida, which the Dems typically depended on to outweigh the middle/north counties, has gotten insanely more expensive over the past ~3 years. I know a lot of people who've basically been forced elsewhere. Couple that with the Miami mayor being a Bitcoin moron trying to turn it into cryptoland and the GOP figuring out how to successfully market to Latinos.... it's gotten very bad very fast down here. :(

Anyway, I went out to vote at lunchtime and turnout seemed pretty high, notably more so than 2018.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Interpret this as you will:
https://twitter.com/norwood270/status/1590072263315161088?s=46&t=vOwTBD3lKt6rMoe2JgEnjA

my interpretation is that a town with just 5 voters in it would be goddamn miserable

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 8, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Discendo Vox posted:

When did they start just directly calling it “The Needle”?

the old familiar sting

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am ready to be hurt again ❤️

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Satan returns to this world.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
https://twitter.com/CourierNewsroom/status/1590047424823046145

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/BOENYC/status/1590072806418841600

Slowly creeping up numberswise. This includes early voting, but does not include absentees (which will instead be included with unofficial tallies coming out at 6pm).

I have no idea how this looks for either Zeldin or Hochul. Unfortunately, I don't know of any non-partisan NY election-watching pundit so all I have to go on is high levels of Zeldin enthusiasm on Twitter and Reddit.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Is this the thread to say that I just voted? Because I just voted.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The counter to WI may be NV today, where the outlook continues to look mediocre to bad - and of course the culprit is the existing Dem machine being willing to tank things as soon as further left elements of the state party threaten their stranglehold on the institution (just like in FL!)

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Lol.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Nervous posted:

Is this the thread to say that I just voted? Because I just voted.

I'm not a mod, but I would think this is the place. Is this thread going to get stickied near the top tonight?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I did the vote. Really hope to see Fetterman and Shapiro wins, but I'm nervous.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I voted! :)
In South Carolina! :(

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/jessemckinley/status/1590075961437220864

This actually doesn't include absentees.

5 hours to go. I don't know if we're on course to beat that number from 2018, though.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Who do you blokes think will win the US Mid Term elections

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

Some rich politician.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

TRUMP! (click)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Good luck down there.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Wizard Master posted:

Jeb. Please clap.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Wizard Master posted:

Lucifer “The Morningstar” Satan

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Crows Turn Off posted:

Some rich rear end in a top hat.

Fixed that for you

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rich people in general. I would like things to be better, probably not.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
That Wisconsin news is encouraging. I will absolutely poo poo a brick if we manage to give Ron Johnson the boot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Me, I'm going to win

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

Me, I'm going to win

Haveblue sweeping the competition.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
needle is paywalled but I can see updates about the red wave over on conservative sites for free

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

haveblue posted:

Me, I'm going to win

HAVEBLUE WAVE

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Wizard Master posted:

Capital

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ShutteredIn posted:

Lucifer “The Morningstar” Satan

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Vermont is a special case. we seem to like our gov't too divided to do much. I voted against Scott today, and did for for Zuckerman for lt gov, but last time this choice was Scott v Zuckerman and I just skipped voting on that because I did not wanna vote for Scott, but also didn't want to vote for someone with a somewhat problematic history about vaccine exemptions during a pandemic and in a state with a massive anti-vaxx problem that's as left wing as right.

Voted blue down the line, this time, though. Dem Gov candidate doesn't have a chance but also is not human garbage like Scott, Zuckerman is fine as lt gov, generally.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Some possible doom here:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1590088597470085120?s=46&t=mbHJRFCTgELzomzjxr4SgQ

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I've seen enough

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

What the gently caress is this supposed to mean

Seriously it feels like poll pundits know nothing now so they just post wishy-washy tweets and hope people still give them attention

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

It means that if a red wave is a thing the number of seats we might lose is greater because more are at risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Youth Decay posted:

All the election watching pundits are doing some serious vague posting about how they think Republicans are gonna win because of the current turnout in Nevada basically.

I feel like they should just say it instead of the weird coy 'Hmm, might be some hints here' wink wink bullshit they keep doing.