Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

I wonder how Cheney's Operation Ratfuck is going since she announced her support of scotus having overturned Roe. :allears:

Does WY have early voting? If so, it's a shame about the Dems who've already voted for her in the GOP primary.

Its Wyoming. Last time I checked it was literally the most red state in the country. She has to run hard right. (edit: yep, still easily #1 MAGA state, unless you count the 3rd district of Nebraska)

To this she is hoping to add votes in the primary by telling WY Dems "lol come on, its Wyoming, you have no chance. So, which Republican would you rather have?"

Rigel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I wonder how Cheney's Operation Ratfuck is going since she announced her support of scotus having overturned Roe. :allears:

Does WY have early voting? If so, it's a shame about the Dems who've already voted for her in the GOP primary.

I'll never understand how people can see politicians like McCain and Cheney and Dubbya and think they're any different than Trump or DeSantis. Propaganda works I guess, technology's ability to really refine media into a consent manufacturing machine and our squandering of historically low interest rates on scams and graft are probably what the future will remember this era for but in the meantime I guess I'm gonna keep getting asked to respect the honor of people like her and Kasich.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I'll never understand how people can see politicians like McCain and Cheney and Dubbya and think they're any different than Trump or DeSantis. Propaganda works I guess, technology's ability to really refine media into a consent manufacturing machine and our squandering of historically low interest rates on scams and graft are probably what the future will remember this era for but in the meantime I guess I'm gonna keep getting asked to respect the honor of people like her and Kasich.

I mean, it's a natural outcome & logical consequence of lesser-evilism; when Dem leadership themselves are campaigning & fundraising to defeat a pro-choice challenger why not go the extra couple inches & support the lesser-evil Wyoming GOP candidate?

The post above yours lays this out very clearly.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, it's a natural outcome & logical consequence of lesser-evilism; when Dem leadership themselves are campaigning & fundraising to defeat a pro-choice challenger why not go the extra couple inches & support the lesser-evil Wyoming GOP candidate?
I'm a fan of getting whatever utility out of a vote that's possible, but even I can acknowledge that there's no juice worth the squeeze there. Her voting record has been worse than some of the wildest on the right. Maybe she's making a grandstand to 'defend our democracy' at the moment, but defend it to do what, right.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
What the Democrats MUST do:

Run a national campaign against every Republican running in the midterms that basically has those quotes about a “national ban” and mix that with Handmaiden’s Tale dystopian stuff. Sort of in the vein of LBJ’s classic punch in the gut “Daisy” ad and make it clear that if the GOP wins the midterms they are going to turn America into a theocratic hellscape.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's going to be hard because it's not like the dems have literally years of footage of the gop stating explicitly that that is their goal over and over and over

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Run a national campaign against every Republican running in the midterms that basically has those quotes about a “national ban” and mix that with Handmaiden’s Tale dystopian stuff. Sort of in the vein of LBJ’s classic punch in the gut “Daisy” ad and make it clear that if the GOP wins the midterms they are going to turn America into a theocratic hellscape.

I think they have to promise to do something specific as well—to detail a plan to return the right to abortion and explain the terms necessary for it to happen. I got that fundraising text on Friday night and it made me pretty angry because the democrats’ historical unconcern with protecting abortion is extremely obvious now. They need to do more than as for votes because republicans will make things worse if they win.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Unfortunately your plan here is to run ads showing the GOP actually delivering on all the poo poo they promised to do, which is maybe not the best contrast for the Dems to try and strike

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

some plague rats posted:

Unfortunately your plan here is to run ads showing the GOP actually delivering on all the poo poo they promised to do, which is maybe not the best contrast for the Dems to try and strike

Except for a lot of Republicans, it is an issue they run away from in November. They have to be against abortion and vote for awful judges to win their primaries, but they usually don't like talking about it in November if the race is at all competitive.

Abortion hasn't been a real political issue for a lot of people for a long time. Historically the GOP in swing districts leaned hard on persuadable voters going "oh, I don't have to care about abortion because that is all settled and the Democrats are just lying and exaggerating about overturning Roe v Wade. So what is the friendly-looking Republican saying about the economy again? I sure do hate those gas prices, maybe we ought to drill or something, I dunno. Anyway I'm busy with my life and I'm bored with looking at this race *cluelessly votes Republican*"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if people, you know, regular people, really understand the SCOTUS decision. A lot of people probably think "abortion is illegal in the US now," a lot of people probably don't know what to think. What people need to know is that until things change in SCOTUS or the Senate, their state representatives are the ones who protect their abortion rights now, and state level races are the key to protecting or restoring abortion rights in your state.

Republicans have always understood the importance of state legislatures, of course. Now it's time for Democrats to attach that level of urgency to those races for their own voters.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

Except for a lot of Republicans, it is an issue they run away from in November. They have to be against abortion and vote for awful judges to win their primaries, but they usually don't like talking about it in November if the race is at all competitive.

Abortion hasn't been a real political issue for a lot of people for a long time. Historically the GOP in swing districts leaned hard on persuadable voters going "oh, I don't have to care about abortion because that is all settled and the Democrats are just lying and exaggerating about overturning Roe v Wade. So what is the friendly-looking Republican saying about the economy again? I sure do hate those gas prices, maybe we ought to drill or something, I dunno. Anyway I'm busy with my life and I'm bored with looking at this race *cluelessly votes Republican*"

This... seems anecdotal and at best wildly ahistorical? The GOP have traditionally leaned on swing voters who support abortion? What on earth gave you that idea?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

some plague rats posted:

This... seems anecdotal and at best wildly ahistorical? The GOP have traditionally leaned on swing voters who support abortion? What on earth gave you that idea?

It is really basic common knowledge in politics. You had to have heard about the old "run to the right (or left) in the primary, run to the center in November" before. Unless you are very young or something.

If the race is not contested in a red state or in a very red district, if the race is at all competitive, the Republican candidate *Almost Never* wants to talk about abortion. They have to be dragged into it very reluctantly by a moderator and they bail out and pivot to another issue as quick as they can.

Overturning Roe v Wade is absurdly unpopular outside of the Republican primary... but it hasn't been an actual political issue that people care about for a long time because no one actually believed it would ever happen. Its been drat near 2 generations now, before now, people always thought the Democratic candidate is just being overly dramatic when he or she tries to tell the voters that their opponent will ban abortion.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

some plague rats posted:

"Running to the middle" between primary and general elections is not wildly ahistorical, what are you talking about?

e:fb

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

It is really basic common knowledge in politics. You had to have heard about the old "run to the right (or left) in the primary, run to the center in November" before. Unless you are very young or something.

If the race is not contested in a red state or in a very red district, if the race is at all competitive, the Republican candidate *Almost Never* wants to talk about abortion. They have to be dragged into it very reluctantly by a moderator and they bail out and pivot to another issue as quick as they can.

Overturning Roe v Wade is absurdly unpopular outside of the Republican primary... but it hasn't been an actual political issue that people care about for a long time because no one actually believed it would ever happen. Its been drat near 2 generations now, before now, people always thought the Democratic candidate is just being overly dramatic when he or she tries to tell the voters that their opponent will ban abortion.

You're not actually supporting your argument with anything. Claiming republicans hate talking about abortion and then when asked for some evidence just going "everybody knows that!" is pretty hard to debate in any meaningful way. Seriously what are you basing that claim on beyond some old saying no one uses?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TipTow posted:

"Running to the middle" between primary and general elections is not wildly ahistorical, what are you talking about?

Do you agree with his contention that republicans hate talking about abortion...?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rigel posted:

remember when Mark Udall was mockingly nicknamed "Mark Uterus" because of how much he talked about abortion and women's issues in the 2014 senate race

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I agree that a sufficiently large number of people to matter electorally exist who vote Republican largely for economic reasons but find all the social/theocratic poo poo off-putting. The issue of abortion in swing districts is not worth discussing during the general election as you already have the voters who are anti-choice locked down. It's not "Republicans hate talking about abortion," it's "some Republicans shut the gently caress up about abortion when it was strategically important."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

some plague rats posted:

You're not actually supporting your argument with anything. Claiming republicans hate talking about abortion and then when asked for some evidence just going "everybody knows that!" is pretty hard to debate in any meaningful way. Seriously what are you basing that claim on beyond some old saying no one uses?

You are asking the Oreo thread to re-litigate the existence of frosting between the cookies.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want more examples, look at the repub circus that accompanies the March for Life every year. Or the RNC platform. Or the way they went at Tim Ryan the second he gave them an opening on the issue

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

You are asking the Oreo thread to re-litigate the existence of frosting between the cookies.

It should be really easy to support the point then?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

some plague rats posted:

If you want more examples, look at the repub circus that accompanies the March for Life every year. Or the RNC platform. Or the way they went at Tim Ryan the second he gave them an opening on the issue

Republicans are not a hive mind. Some of them are happy to run as fervent anti-choice nutjobs. Others try to run as moderates in swing districts, and may even play down what they said to win the primary. This happens every election season, across the country, on every level. The fact that you don't recognize this happens speaks pretty badly on your actual understanding of elections outside a very narrow lens.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

some plague rats posted:

It should be really easy to support the point then?

Do you need evidence the sky is blue?

I get your initial point about

some plague rats posted:

Because yeah, the reason the Dems are unpopular is because they don't do poo poo, and pointing out that Republicans do would seem, independent of any other variable, not wise. The problem with that analysis is outlawing abortion isn't just another example of "Republicans getting things done," and blasting that horn as loud as possible is not going to persuade people who weren't already GOP voters to become ones. I won't speak on how effectual it would be in favor of Dems, but I'm extremely skeptical it would backfire.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 27, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comment came in the context of attacking abortion rights and 100% cost the GOP a Senate seat for six years. They noticed that. A lot of ink was spilled.

There is a lot for them to lose and not much to gain when talking abortion in a general election, because as others have said, fervent pro-lifers are already the most reliable GOP voters. (And they remained so, for over 30 years of the GOP "failing" to immediately accomplish their goals.)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Whole lot of appeals to common sense and everybody knows, not a lot of backing it up with anything going on

TipTow posted:

The problem with that analysis is outlawing abortion is isn't just another example of "Republicans getting things done," and blasting that horn as loud as possible is not going to persuade people who weren't already GOP voters to become ones.

The big anti-abortion push isn't about creating new GOP voters, it's about turning out the ones they've already got, while doing poo poo like the Latino outreach community stuff they've been doing to reach new voters. It works and consistently wins them elections, especially in contrast to the democrat plan to offer people nothing and scold them for not wanting to protect the status quo harder

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The GOP doesn't keep [relatively] mum about abortion on the general stump in close elections so that they can attract pro-choice voters, it's more so that they don't inspire an increase in the turnout of anti-abortion voters.

And they don't have to talk about abortions to bring out their base because single-issue abortion voters are already very reliable and organized.

Of course, this election will go a long way to demonstrate how much that can really damage them. (And I don't think anybody really knows yet.)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

some plague rats posted:

Whole lot of appeals to common sense and everybody knows, not a lot of backing it up with anything going on

Glenn Youngkin literally ran as a moderate to win an election in a swing state less than a year ago

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2022-02-09/glenn-youngkin-takes-hard-right-turn-as-virginia-governor

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Glenn Youngkin literally ran as a moderate to win an election in a swing state less than a year ago

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2022-02-09/glenn-youngkin-takes-hard-right-turn-as-virginia-governor

I feel like you and I might have different definitions of moderate?

I mean, per the article, "Youngkin was sympathetic to the activists, described himself as “staunchly, unabashedly pro-life,” and spoke of tightening state abortion laws." Feels like anyone claiming he's taken a "hard right turn" maybe wasn't paying attention?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

And they don't have to talk about abortions to bring out their base because single-issue abortion voters are already very reliable and organized.

...and fully prepared to call them RINOs and primary them if they don't?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

some plague rats posted:

I feel like you and I might have different definitions of moderate?

I mean, per the article, "Youngkin was sympathetic to the activists, described himself as “staunchly, unabashedly pro-life,” and spoke of tightening state abortion laws." Feels like anyone claiming he's taken a "hard right turn" maybe wasn't paying attention?

oh my god

The whole point of the article is to show how Youngkin is trying to play both sides, telling supporters "oh yeah I'll go after abortions" but refusing to go into specifics so he can pretend to be more moderate on the issue than he actually is. He literally says this! In the article! That you posted!!

quote:

"Youngkin avoided giving the activists details about his anti-abortion agenda. He told them that focusing on the topic could alienate independent voters that he needs to win the election."

well thanks for one of the dumbest conversations I've had in a while, I guess

e: and yeah you know what most voters are people who aren't paying attention

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Republican messaging never basically never wavers from 100% anti-abortion and nobody is claiming that it does. It's just a matter of what issues they would prefer to focus on. If you're talking to a bunch of abortion activists at an event, you're gonna swing sweet music to them, of course. They'll have a line in the stump speech. But they don't want the issue being covered in the news. They don't want voters who don't usually think about abortion, to be thinking about abortion.

Dems and Republicans both know that Republicans have it made if the election is about inflation. If the election becomes more about abortion, it could complicate things for them. Because the position is broadly unpopular!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think there is a possibility that Republicans are doing this now because they have so much tailwind that they're very unlikely to lose the election even if this creates, say, a five point swing against them. That's not gonna put Rubio in danger. That's not gonna keep them from getting the House.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The correct play for the GOP here seems pretty obvious. They will probably do a hell of a lot of polling first but nothing good can come from talking about abortion at this point. After the primaries, they will completely ignore the issue, and if their opponent in a particular race is screaming about abortion and getting traction from it, they will try to scream even louder about inflation and gas prices while praying that their voice is louder and 4 months is enough time for the voters to not care as much.

The timing is awful for them, it would have been MUCH better for them if Alito has just waited until the Fall and dropped the bomb right after the election in early December to give them a full 2 years to work with. (Actually it would have been best if Alito had gone with the Roberts frog boiling approach, but crazy's gotta crazy)

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

oh my god

The whole point of the article is to show how Youngkin is trying to play both sides, telling supporters "oh yeah I'll go after abortions" but refusing to go into specifics so he can pretend to be more moderate on the issue than he actually is. He literally says this! In the article! That you posted!!

So... We just take his word for it? Do you think the guy who tripped over himself to explain that he was rabidly pro-life and couldn't wait to tighten abortion restrictions successfully presented himself as a moderate? If the argument is he fooled a bunch of low-info people who don't pay attention to politics into thinking he's a moderate that's a fair call, but when we say someone ran as a moderate I'm assuming we're referring to the things they expressed an intention to do when in power, not what a bunch of people who constantly get led around by the nose decided.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

well thanks for one of the dumbest conversations I've had in a while, I guess

e: and yeah you know what most voters are people who aren't paying attention

This is debate and discussion, we're debating and discussing. There's no need to start acting like a condescending prick when someone disagrees with you

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think they have to promise to do something specific as well—to detail a plan to return the right to abortion and explain the terms necessary for it to happen. I got that fundraising text on Friday night and it made me pretty angry because the democrats’ historical unconcern with protecting abortion is extremely obvious now. They need to do more than as for votes because republicans will make things worse if they win.

Yes, the other part of this is that Democratic leadership should publicly admit that not going for a national law codifying RvW was a mistake. Why should they do this? Because there’s real anger at the party over that and for the appearance of using RvW as a fundraiser rather than strong actions. Disagree, sure. But that anger is real:

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1540906505829879810

To deal with the economic issues there needs to be something done about the clear price fixing going on, specifically in oil/gas. Specifically the deliberate "Short-Cycle Barrel" tactic creating a "Perpetual Threat Of Undersupply that is Supportive To Commodity Prices that is Great for the Company" - Jeff Miller, CEO of Halliburton.

Even f-ing hearings could change the narrative on this.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Rigel posted:

(Actually it would have been best if Alito had gone with the Roberts frog boiling approach, but crazy's gotta crazy)
I think it's probably fine for the GOP if this blunts their 2022 midterms (and it might not even do that). They've had no problems running their obstructionism gameplan even in their 'weaker' position now, so even small or no gains in 2022 would be fine for them. Better for them to get any blowback from this out of the way now, so they're still set for an epic sweep in 2024 when it will matter most.

In 2024, Dems will be defending something like 23 senate seats to the GOP's 10 or something nutty. And the Presidency and House races look awful for Dems as well. Pretty sure excitement will be at an all time low when the option will be an 82 y/o literally asleep Joe Biden, or whatever bland purple state governor/general the Dems shove forward.

Jan 2025 to Jan 2027 is going to be apocalyptic, and I don't know what the status of voting integrity in red and purple states will even look like by the 2026 midterms.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

TipTow posted:

some plague rats posted:

Do you agree with his contention that republicans hate talking about abortion...?

Have you been following politics long? That's not meant as a dig. Abortion, as an issue, has been on the dl for decades so it's perfectly understandable to not be aware of the finer details.

But, yes, they are correct.

It's covered in the article below. (Not bolding anything because it's a good article, it covers a lot about their electoral strategy for the mid-terms, and you should read the whole thing.)

"Politico posted:

‘The dog that caught the car’: Republicans brace for the impact of reversing Roe

Everything was going right for Republicans in the midterm campaign. Then the Supreme Court decision came down.

Republicans finally got the Roe v. Wade decision they wanted, and in public, they are delighted.

More quietly, however, according to interviews with more than a dozen Republican strategists and party officials, they just didn’t want it to come right now — not during a midterm election campaign in which nearly everything had been going right for the GOP.

“This is not a conversation we want to have,” said John Thomas, a Republican strategist who works on House campaigns across the country. “We want to have a conversation about the economy. We want to have a conversation about Joe Biden, about pretty much anything else besides Roe … This is a losing issue for Republicans.”

The decision, issued Friday, was a landmark victory for conservatives who have held up overturning Roe as an ambition of near-biblical significance, fundraising, organizing and legislating off opposition to abortion rights for nearly half a century.

But it’s a victory that will almost certainly come at a cost. In Republican circles, a consensus has been forming for weeks that the court’s overturning of a significant — and highly popular — precedent on a deeply felt issue will be a liability for the party in the midterms and beyond, undercutting Republicans to at least some degree with moderates and suburban women.

Before Roe came down, said a former Republican congressman familiar with the party’s campaign operation, “Everything was going our way. Gas is above $5. Inflation is a giant problem.”

“The only thing [Democrats] have got going for them is the Roe thing, which is what, 40 years of settled law that will be changed that will cause some societal consternation,” said the former congressman, granted anonymity to speak candidly. “And can they turn that into some turnout? I think the answer is probably ‘Yes.’”

“Maybe instead of losing 45 seats, they lose 30,” he said, while at a minimum, “there will be a few seats that Republicans would have won without [the abortion rights decision], and they may not win them now.”

Almost no political professional — Republican or Democrat — expects the court’s decision on abortion to upend the electoral landscape severely enough to keep Republicans from winning the House in November. In recent elections, abortion has not been the motivating issue that Democrats once anticipated it might be, and even polling earlier this month, when Roe was widely expected to be overturned, had abortion falling below other concerns, including jobs and the economy, as an issue of significance to voters.

'Horrible’ versus ‘a miracle’: Congress' reactions to Roe are divided

“You go to any diner in America, and nobody’s talking about this,” said Dave Carney, a national Republican strategist based in New Hampshire. “That’s not what’s driving the conversation. Real people, working people, people who vote, are talking about the incompetence of the president, and then they go down the list of six or seven things,” including the rising price of goods and the recent baby formula shortage.

The problem for Republicans with the Roe decision is that it’s giving Democrats something to grasp onto in an otherwise bleak year — the kind of issue that may animate some lower-propensity voters, including young Democrats, to turn out in November, and blunt the GOP’s appeals to independent voters, a majority of whom also support Roe, according to Gallup.

Republicans, said Sarah Longwell, a moderate Republican strategist who became a vocal supporter of Joe Biden in 2020, are now “the dog that caught the car.”

“Then what? The motivation moves to the left in terms of who feels they’re the ones who have to be on offense,” she said. “People will fight harder for a thing that they want rather than reward people for a thing they already have.”

One Republican operative familiar with polling in federal and state races and spoke on condition of anonymity said the most important impact may be on swing voters who lean Republican. “It takes a sizeable bloc of voters who were leaning [Republican], and it gives them reason to vote Democrat,” he said. “And they haven’t had any reason to vote Democrat in quite a while.”

Paradoxically, the politics of the Roe reversal would likely not be so distressing for Republicans if everything else wasn’t going so well for them. Biden’s public approval rating, a metric closely tied to a party’s performance in the midterms, has sunk below 40 percent, according to the FiveThirtyEight polling average, worse than former President Barack Obama’s was at this point in the run-up to Democrats’ midterm shellacking in 2010. Inflation is already souring the electorate, and a recession may be next.

But even if Roe alone is not sufficient to remake the midterms in Democrats’ favor, it could fit into what Longwell called an “overall case the Democratic Party should be prosecuting against Republicans” — wedding Roe with the court’s decision the previous day on gun control, among other issues, to depict the post-Donald Trump GOP as one still animated by extremes.

On Friday, the court provided fodder for that line of attack, when Justice Clarence Thomas, in a concurring opinion, argued the court “should reconsider” protections for contraception access and same-sex marriage. And the post-Roe fallout itself will reverberate in states for months, focusing attention on state-level campaigns as red-leaning states prepare to enact restrictions.

Already, Republicans are wincing at the consequences. In the swing state of Pennsylvania, Democrats have been pummeling the Republican gubernatorial nominee, Doug Mastriano, for a position opposing abortion rights that includes no exceptions for rape, incest or the life of the mother. In Georgia, another swing state, the Republican U.S. Senate nominee, Herschel Walker, is facing similar criticism. In a message that Democrats will likely repeat for months, incumbent Sen. Raphael Warnock issued a fundraising appeal on Friday afternoon with the subject line: “Our opponent says he wants a total ban on abortion.”

Jason Roe, the former executive director of the state Republican Party in Michigan, described himself as “nervous about it” because “the opportunities we should have with suburban women become more complicated when that issue is on the table, and I think it puts us on defense.”

For nearly 50 years, ever since Roe v. Wade was issued in 1973, it has been the opposite, with Republicans on a sustained offensive to overturn the decision — chipping away at its protections in red-leaning states, working to advance conservative judicial nominees and invoking the issue as a litmus test in GOP primaries. And publicly, conservatives on Friday did take a victory lap.

“Life wins!” Ronna McDaniel, the chair of the Republican National Committee, said in a prepared statement. “Millions of Americans are celebrating today’s ruling and a pro-life movement that has worked tirelessly for decades.”

But Republicans running in elections this year have been preparing since the publication of a draft ruling last month in POLITICO to turn the political debate away from Roe as sharply as possible, seemingly cognizant of its downsides. In a messaging memo obtained by Axios in May, the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the party’s campaign arm, urged Republicans to depict Democrats as fixated on “extreme views” on abortion, while asserting that Republicans’ support for abortion restrictions is ”reasonable” and “Republicans are focused on getting the economy back on track and keeping your family safe.”

“Republicans won’t want to deflect from the economy whatsoever,” said former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory, who ran unsuccessfully for a U.S. Senate seat this year, “because that’s what people are feeling every day.”

It may not be possible for Republicans to maintain that level of discipline. Partly, that’s because Democrats will relentlessly fan the issue in the run-up to November. But it’s also because one significant segment of the Republican Party — anti-abortion activists — want to talk about Roe, too, especially as states this summer take up post-Roe restriction.

Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, one of the nation’s leading anti-abortion groups, said this week that along with its partner organizations, it plans to spend $78 million this election cycle. In recent weeks, anti-abortion advocates have been briefing Republican lawmakers and candidates on ways to campaign on the issue in a post-Roe landscape, arming them with polling that suggests Americans, while overwhelmingly saying abortion should be legal in all or most cases, nevertheless express openness to some restrictions.

“This is the Democrats’ Hail Mary pass,” said Bob Heckman, a Republican strategist who has worked on nine presidential campaigns. “They can’t win on the economy, they can’t win on foreign policy, they can’t win on cultural issues, and they are going to want to have this discussion, and I don’t think we can deflect.”

But Heckman, who consults for Susan B. Anthony, said conservatives, too, have “wanted to have a nationwide debate about this since 1973, and now we’re going to have one. And as Republicans and conservatives and advocates for life, now we’re going to have to go out and make our case and win it.”

Every poll and political strategist of both parties would suggest that any other issue this year is riper for Republicans to exploit and that, politically, there is little upside for the GOP in the shifting focus to Roe.

Still, Heckman said, “We can’t choose when the Supreme Court acts, and certainly the left will come roaring out of the starting gate, as they’ve indicated they will. So, we just have to engage and present the other side.”

He added, “I think it’s a case we can win.”

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 27, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rigel posted:

The correct play for the GOP here seems pretty obvious. They will probably do a hell of a lot of polling first but nothing good can come from talking about abortion at this point. After the primaries, they will completely ignore the issue, and if their opponent in a particular race is screaming about abortion and getting traction from it, they will try to scream even louder about inflation and gas prices while praying that their voice is louder and 4 months is enough time for the voters to not care as much.

The timing is awful for them, it would have been MUCH better for them if Alito has just waited until the Fall and dropped the bomb right after the election in early December to give them a full 2 years to work with. (Actually it would have been best if Alito had gone with the Roberts frog boiling approach, but crazy's gotta crazy)

As long as Dems continue to be clearly uninterested in addressing it, it's in the GOP's best interest to trumpet abortion 24/7 IMO. It energizes their base and depresses their enemies'.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yinlock posted:

As long as Dems continue to be clearly uninterested in addressing it, it's in the GOP's best interest to trumpet abortion 24/7 IMO. It energizes their base and depresses their enemies'.

People want to feel like someone gives a poo poo about them in this world, listens to them, fights for at least some small thing for them, that they get to win occasionally, and republicans give their base that. They'll never material help their lives, but when they say "we're going to stop abortions, outlaw gays, put god back in control" and other social issues that don't cost the bosses any money, they deliver on it at least. Even if it takes them 40 years they will do every dirty trick they can't to try and accomplish their social goals. Republican voters get to feel like they have real power and control when they vote, because they actually might get stuff they want, they might get to feel like winners.

Democrat voters get spit in the eye, told to gently caress off how dare you demand anything of us, oh and give us donations. I haven't been a democrat voter since 2008 before Obama spit in my eye, but the impression I get from democrat voters i know is a deep demoralization, especially for anyone under 40, and boosters getting ever more desperate to try and whip people who feel betrayed and let down into coming back to the polls again. Even myself, who already hates and laughs at the party, has been absolutely gobsmacked at how they managed to be even more useless than I ever expected possible since getting back in power, I can't imagine their actual voters who honestly expected them to pass a bunch of poo poo feel great. I honestly don't know how the party can keep its head above water with people who increasingly take it as a matter of course that they are a functionally useless group that will never do anything ever if elected but at least they won't make it worse? hopefully?

Maybe thats just projection on my part though, and holding life and death issues above their voter's heads, like a sword of damocles, is an effective electoral strategy after all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not projection. Aside from feeling sadness and concern, I’m coming around to a clear understanding that I have been a huge sucker, that the democrats aren’t merely bad at protecting rights or not really interested in doing so, but have absolutely no intention to preserve any rights at all. They were lying the whole time. It’s not a huge discovery because I’ve known how useless they were since Obama, but this is my final parting.

What’s really wild is that republican voters reacted to getting hosed and made empty promises by getting more enthusiastic about voting for republicans. For 50 years they ate poo poo and failed, until they finally won. What could get me to do that? Endlessly cycling capitalist-produced propaganda poured into my ear every waking moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

What’s really wild is that republican voters reacted to getting hosed and made empty promises by getting more enthusiastic about voting for republicans. For 50 years they ate poo poo and failed, until they finally won. What could get me to do that? Endlessly cycling capitalist-produced propaganda poured into my ear every waking moment?

Because the Republicans didn't win immediately but they actually kept working at it. They chipped away at abortion on the state level, and cut taxes when they were in power and did all that other culture war poo poo to keep their voters onside. Instead of taking the Democrat approach of shrugging and going "welp, haven't got the votes, guess you guys didn't really want this" while means testing everything to the point where no one can point to a single helpful thing they actually did, they went out there and found ways to actually accomplish a bunch of insanely evil poo poo using the courts, state governments, school boards, etc and demonstrated an actual will to power that convinced a whole raft of people to keep voting because as soon as they get in the repubs would actually work on poo poo their hog voters want