Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

chaosbreather posted:

They’ve been clear that not being able to netdeck is a feature, not a bug and after playing it for a bit I have to agree with them. It’s super refreshing. I also agree with you that peoples expectations, that they want to and should play what the streamer is playing, are set entirely wrong and could easily kill the game, but npc bots are a lot easier to beat than humans so nbd imo

It's not "super refreshing" when you get bad luck with your opens and you don't get pivotal cards until the end of the pool. This happened to me in both pools 1 and 2: my last two pool 1 cards were Rocket and Switch (pre-nerf, when she was a crucial component of 1-drop Zoo), and coming to the end of pool 2 I'm still missing Morbius for the discard deck. And I'm sure it's just a strange coincidence that in Pool 1 I was playing 1-drop Zoo and in Pool 2 I've mainly been playing Discard.

Also the bots cheat, which is not fun. I played the same bot twice in a row, saw its entire deck in the first game. In the second game it played 11 identical cards plus one that it changed on turn 6 because I'd played around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it owns when a bot reads your played cards and slaps a cosmo down out of nowhere

and fuckin lmao at that post about this game's dumpster progression system being refreshing and designed based on some higher principle than making absolutely everything they reasonably can random so that your latent gambling addiction is constantly being tickled

good luck throwing random poo poo together without key cards once you hit pool 3 matchmaking

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jedit posted:

It's not "super refreshing" when you get bad luck with your opens and you don't get pivotal cards until the end of the pool. This happened to me in both pools 1 and 2: my last two pool 1 cards were Rocket and Switch (pre-nerf, when she was a crucial component of 1-drop Zoo), and coming to the end of pool 2 I'm still missing Morbius for the discard deck. And I'm sure it's just a strange coincidence that in Pool 1 I was playing 1-drop Zoo and in Pool 2 I've mainly been playing Discard.

Also the bots cheat, which is not fun. I played the same bot twice in a row, saw its entire deck in the first game. In the second game it played 11 identical cards plus one that it changed on turn 6 because I'd played around it.

This poo poo is what I'm talking about. You're looking at some kind of deck list and going 'oh no i need Morbius to fill in this list to achieve optium EV bleep bloop' instead of doing what the game is demanding of you, throw all your cards together and play with them and see which ones don't work and swap them around. you get boosters regardless, just play and have fun without expectations of winning or collecting.

like i have a tiger woman who makes tigers, how great is that? just chill and enjoy your free comic book friends

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 25, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

This poo poo is what I'm talking about. You're looking at some kind of deck list and going 'oh no i need Morbius to fill in this list to achieve optium EV bleep bloop' instead of doing what the game is demanding of you, throw all your cards together and play with them and see which ones don't work and swap them around. you get boosters regardless, just play and have fun without expectations of winning or collecting.

like i have a tiger woman who makes tigers, how great is that? just chill and enjoy your free comic book friends

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people who play a strategy card game have higher aspirations than banging their action figures together like a five year old. I don't expect to be able to build any deck perfectly from day 1, especially not as an F2P player, but nobody is having fun looking at a pile of lovely 1-drops that can't win anything because you haven't opened Ka-Zar yet. And they've actually made this situation worse. Pool 1 used to be given in a fixed order, so you would gradually build your first decks and you could see how they came together, but now it's random. Combined with players having zero agency in how they acquire new cards, it's a very bad feeling.

Also I'm laughing my head off at "you get boosters regardless", because pretty much the entire Snap community despises boosters. They're a roadblock to new players building a collection and push them into wasting their initial credit bonanza on Fast Upgrades in the shop, but once you've played for a while credits become the bottleneck and opening boosters feels like opening an empty box because you already have more than you can ever use.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jedit posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people who play a strategy card game have higher aspirations than banging their action figures together like a five year old. I don't expect to be able to build any deck perfectly from day 1, especially not as an F2P player, but nobody is having fun looking at a pile of lovely 1-drops that can't win anything because you haven't opened Ka-Zar yet. And they've actually made this situation worse. Pool 1 used to be given in a fixed order, so you would gradually build your first decks and you could see how they came together, but now it's random. Combined with players having zero agency in how they acquire new cards, it's a very bad feeling.

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves. There really isn’t anything else friendo. You’re just making yourself unhappy with your own expectations. Contentment doesn’t unlock with your ELO, it’s just a meaningless stat.

There is nothing in life that unlocks when you win enough games, just an endless number of people who are better than you and worse than you. If a match is evenly ranked you should have a 50% chance anyway so if you want to get efficient winz just flip a coin instead of playing a whole rear end game and spend money on it.

Besides, I win pretty much every game all the time because there’s only bots around to play me and I’m having a great time, very good feeling. No Ka-zar yet, not looking at deck lists, just enjoying solving the puzzle by myself without cheating instead of implementing some nerd’s spreadsheet and playing some tired metagame. It’s honestly the chillest I’ve been playing a phone game forever.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

chaosbreather posted:

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves. There really isn’t anything else friendo. You’re just making yourself unhappy with your own expectations. Contentment doesn’t unlock with your ELO, it’s just a meaningless stat.

There is nothing in life that unlocks when you win enough games, just an endless number of people who are better than you and worse than you. If a match is evenly ranked you should have a 50% chance anyway so if you want to get efficient winz just flip a coin instead of playing a whole rear end game and spend money on it.

Besides, I win pretty much every game all the time because there’s only bots around to play me and I’m having a great time, very good feeling. No Ka-zar yet, not looking at deck lists, just enjoying solving the puzzle by myself without cheating instead of implementing some nerd’s spreadsheet and playing some tired metagame. It’s honestly the chillest I’ve been playing a phone game forever.
I love that the person who has only played enough games to be against bots is trying to explain the chill game to the rest of us.

And your false equivalence of wanting cards and netdecking is some combination of ignorant and stupid; I don't know you well enough to guess at the ratio. Creating cool combos isn't some genius level idea. I was crazy excited to find when cards dropped on marvelsnap.io, because I started building decks. "Oooh, these two would be fun together." (Hey, it's your operative word!) Oh wait, I can't get half that fun pairing because the monetization is hot garbage.

quote:

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves.
Thanks, Socrates. But for the genre of card games (as opposed to gacha games), a large chunk of the "fun" is in building cool decks, and being limited to my lovely card pool with no way to expand it without sucking Ben Brode's dick for two months is worse than when I was in middle school and the Shivan Dragon was the coolest thing I couldn't afford.

I'm happy you're enjoying your poop time masturbating with bots, but some of us had actually hoped to engage with the game, and have found it's not worth it because it sucks.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

You're playing a lot of bots in part because the sentiment expressed in this thread is common, and everyone uninstalled to grind their eyeballs with sandpaper instead of worship a game system some predatory dev wrapped around the wallet inspector.

Do you think you'll be having fun in a month when you're still only playing bots?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

chaosbreather posted:

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves. There really isn’t anything else friendo. You’re just making yourself unhappy with your own expectations. Contentment doesn’t unlock with your ELO, it’s just a meaningless st

You won’t earn extra unlocks by gargling their balls.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

more like mouthbreather

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lmao oh to be a fly on the wall of their meetings this past week

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
They knew what they were getting into when they put themselves in Disney's pocket. The lesson they take from this is not to be less greedy, but to be more subtle with their schemes.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want to play a movement deck and I don’t need a netdecked list to know I don’t have the payout cards that would actually let the deck win.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CitizenKeen posted:

I love that the person who has only played enough games to be against bots is trying to explain the chill game to the rest of us.

And your false equivalence of wanting cards and netdecking is some combination of ignorant and stupid; I don't know you well enough to guess at the ratio. Creating cool combos isn't some genius level idea. I was crazy excited to find when cards dropped on marvelsnap.io, because I started building decks. "Oooh, these two would be fun together." (Hey, it's your operative word!) Oh wait, I can't get half that fun pairing because the monetization is hot garbage.

Thanks, Socrates. But for the genre of card games (as opposed to gacha games), a large chunk of the "fun" is in building cool decks, and being limited to my lovely card pool with no way to expand it without sucking Ben Brode's dick for two months is worse than when I was in middle school and the Shivan Dragon was the coolest thing I couldn't afford.

I'm happy you're enjoying your poop time masturbating with bots, but some of us had actually hoped to engage with the game, and have found it's not worth it because it sucks.

Exactly. You went into the game expecting a completely different type of game, even though Brode was clear and explicit from the start that he wanted to replicate that middle school experience that you say you hated. So it’s weird you did that.

As an update, I’m now playing with humans pretty much all the time and having a great one, got Ka Zar, unlocking a bunch of cards, introduced it to a bunch of mates (by explaining to them that it shouldn’t be approached like a ccg like you did). Still not looking up cards that I might never unlock, just enjoying discovering cards as I encounter them. Unlocking them at a pretty good clip too.

If you want to play the game, just enjoy the mystery and stop spoilering yourself, I have no idea why you want to torture yourself and I have double no idea why you’d want to try and convince me that I’m not having “properly real” fun when I am. What are you trying to accomplish and why?

You should really re-read your post and understand how much of a gross hate filled joyless beancounter you come off as, and really interrogate why you choose to represent yourself like that because it isn’t a good look.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

chaosbreather posted:

Exactly. You went into the game expecting a completely different type of game, even though Brode was clear and explicit from the start that he wanted to replicate that middle school experience that you say you hated. So it’s weird you did that.

As an update, I’m now playing with humans pretty much all the time and having a great one, got Ka Zar, unlocking a bunch of cards, introduced it to a bunch of mates (by explaining to them that it shouldn’t be approached like a ccg like you did). Still not looking up cards that I might never unlock, just enjoying discovering cards as I encounter them. Unlocking them at a pretty good clip too.

If you want to play the game, just enjoy the mystery and stop spoilering yourself, I have no idea why you want to torture yourself and I have double no idea why you’d want to try and convince me that I’m not having “properly real” fun when I am. What are you trying to accomplish and why?

You should really re-read your post and understand how much of a gross hate filled joyless beancounter you come off as, and really interrogate why you choose to represent yourself like that because it isn’t a good look.

Given the choice between however I look, and looking like someone who's trying to defend a predatory gacha game as "it's fun because it's lol random", I'll take my look every day.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

if this is a bit it’s a good one tbh

if it isn’t idk condolences

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

chaosbreather posted:

Brode was clear and explicit from the start that he wanted to replicate that middle school experience that you say you hated. So it’s weird you did that.

I too remember spending $500 on booster pulls to stay competitive in middle school games

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fondly reminiscing of my childhood days spent on the playgound grinding ladder games against bots to unlock new cards since it was physically impossible to trade cards with other people while new cards cost an increasing amount of money the more you bought

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CitizenKeen posted:

Given the choice between however I look, and looking like someone who's trying to defend a predatory gacha game as "it's fun because it's lol random", I'll take my look every day.

Nah, it’s fun because, according to its most public detractors, it has a great core game design, it’s extremely fast so it’s quick to learn from mistakes, and it has an immaculate presentation. That’s why you’re angry enough to get toxic and gatekeepery about it, because you know that as well.

You guys only don’t like it because you’re trying and expecting to “stay competitive” in a game that says on the box it’s like playing ccgs back in school where you can’t just buy a deck. It’s explicitly not a competitive game, it’s an fast, interesting strategy and tactical challenge that is fair because it’s always with someone matched to your win rate, and part of why it’s interesting is because both sides are fighting with what they got, which could be wildly different, instead of meta garbage.

Trying to become king of Snap is trying to become the most popular kid in high school as a 35 year old laywer - yes it’s going to take a laughably huge amount of money because it’s a laughably stupid goal.

From a marketing perspective, It would be better if the monetisation in snap was purely cosmetic, just avatars and card backs, because it would prevent this category error you have made. As a whole I wouldn’t recommend spending any money at all on the game. It won’t make it the completely different, expensive and much worse game you are pining for.

I hope this has helped you try and approach the game on its own terms. You’re clearly in no small amount of pain, which is why I have tried to share with you my approach. Your emotions and feelings are valid and your confusion is justified, but I really think with a very slight shift in perspective you could be playing a pretty cool free game you were excited about instead of making yourself miserable and trying to drag other people into your misery.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

chaosbreather posted:

Nah, it’s fun because, according to its most public detractors, it has a great core game design, it’s extremely fast so it’s quick to learn from mistakes, and it has an immaculate presentation. That’s why you’re angry enough to get toxic and gatekeepery about it, because you know that as well.

You guys only don’t like it because you’re trying and expecting to “stay competitive” in a game that says on the box it’s like playing ccgs back in school where you can’t just buy a deck. It’s explicitly not a competitive game, it’s an fast, interesting strategy and tactical challenge that is fair because it’s always with someone matched to your win rate, and part of why it’s interesting is because both sides are fighting with what they got, which could be wildly different, instead of meta garbage.

Trying to become king of Snap is trying to become the most popular kid in high school as a 35 year old laywer - yes it’s going to take a laughably huge amount of money because it’s a laughably stupid goal.

From a marketing perspective, It would be better if the monetisation in snap was purely cosmetic, just avatars and card backs, because it would prevent this category error you have made. As a whole I wouldn’t recommend spending any money at all on the game. It won’t make it the completely different, expensive and much worse game you are pining for.

I hope this has helped you try and approach the game on its own terms. You’re clearly in no small amount of pain, which is why I have tried to share with you my approach. Your emotions and feelings are valid and your confusion is justified, but I really think with a very slight shift in perspective you could be playing a pretty cool free game you were excited about instead of making yourself miserable and trying to drag other people into your misery.

Wow. I’m not going to feed the troll any more. Ignored.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CitizenKeen posted:

Wow. I’m not going to feed the troll any more. Ignored.

Nah man I’m on the level. It is totally possible to enjoy this game, and I genuinely hope you find a way to it or a way for you to move forward.

Here’s a vid of my current collection, again $0 and a pretty enjoyable couple of hours. Named a deck Keen to prove it’s mine.

Strategy is to keep playing with the least valuable cards until they level up, making the best deck under those constraints, which I think is pretty interesting.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

ngl kinda hype for your posts when you hit rank 35-ish and stop playing against bots that literally misplay final turns to let you win

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Good.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I guess they're actually launching the game next month.
https://youtu.be/r-_ITjnwmG4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And we still don't know what they're replacing Nexus Events with.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

i dunno where i heard about this from but it looks neat. just found this thread and lmao at everything posted so far

hopefully itll be good for a bit and not just a licensed game cash grab like most

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Go RV! posted:

i dunno where i heard about this from but it looks neat. just found this thread and lmao at everything posted so far

hopefully itll be good for a bit and not just a licensed game cash grab like most

Oh man, did you pick a time to join up. They dropped a patch last night before going home and it's completely broken the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what’s the state of the game right now? What did they replace Nexus events with?

Jedit posted:

Oh man, did you pick a time to join up. They dropped a patch last night before going home and it's completely broken the game.

Details?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nexus Events have not yet been replaced.

Re: the patch - it seems to have sorted itself now. The problem looks to have been server side, with the new client forcing a full resource download before you could act that took longer than the game does to play. You need to go into the settings and hit the big obvious download button before you can play, but after that it should be OK.

This is also the patch where the Weekly Mission got shortened from 35 to 25 missions, so that's an improvement.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jedit posted:

I can't play the game yet, no beta access and I'm much too lazy to download the APK, but still loving all these extremely good signs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Go RV! posted:

I can't play the game yet, no beta access and I'm much too lazy to download the APK, but still loving all these extremely good signs

You don't need beta access if you're willing to create an alternate Google account in Australia, NZ or the Philippines. Once you have the client you can even register under your main account in Snap and only use your alt account if you want to spend money. Nobody's yet questioned why I live in a cemetery in Manila, anyway.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

If you’re on iOS and have no active subscription with Apple you can just change your app store region, download it, then change back

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They really have realised how badly they hosed it. I imagine after the horrors of this morning - which persist, as haptic feedback is turning back on every time you restart the client - they're quite on edge.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I wonder if Marvel is forcing their hand and making them put the game out sooner than the team planned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BoldFace posted:

I wonder if Marvel is forcing their hand and making them put the game out sooner than the team planned.

It's not up to Marvel. They've been paid for the license, they don't care. Nuverse are definitely going to be pressuring Second Dinner to release though; they've said the game will be out in 2022 and they don't want the first influx of customers to clash with Christmas spending. The colossal misjudgement on Nexus Events has also hosed up planned tie-ins with both Thor 4 and She-Hulk, costing them even more. They need to take this live and expand the audience.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

finally broke down and got the apk today, been having a pretty good time. have enough parts of a 1-drop flood deck to get me through the bots, but pretty sure thats by design.

powered through the beginner season and am now in the real season at rank 25.

so, questions: I imagine I should be using all my credits on enhancing cards, so I can rank up and get more cards. anything I should be focusing on specifically, or is it just "do stuff until I get enough cards to have fun on the playground make a cohesive deck"

e: is there a best use for gold, or is it just buy cool versions of the stuff im already planning to use?

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 26, 2022

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Credits are the most precious. Never buy boosters / alt art. Just don’t go to the store at all. You will soon be drowning in boosters, since you get them free every time you play and you won’t ever have enough credits to upgrade, since you only get them from missions / gold.

Only spend gold on mission refreshes. It’s the same price as spending it on credits but missions give you seasonal progression as well.

For upgrading cards (using boosters you’ve earned, again, never buy them from the store), the best deal is the first upgrade step, the frame break, since it’s ¼ of the price of the next step which gives you only twice as many collection points. Grind your commons, chuck all your commons in a deck and play with them until you upgrade them all. You’ll keep unlocking new cars pretty quick, so keep that grinding.

The second best deal is the last upgrade step, infinite, because you get a brand new common version of that card (but a step fancier), which means you can get that half price collection point again. So once you reach the point where you can comfortably get 500ish credits a day from missions and you don’t really have any commons, don’t upgrade lesser cards unless you don’t have anywhere near enough boosters to infi.

It’s a really fun game, I’m mostly though third pool, having a blast. I’ve bought two season passes, which are a bit nice but not really essential, haven’t bought anything else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

Credits are the most precious. Never buy boosters / alt art. Just don’t go to the store at all.

Whoa, there - everyone should visit the store once a day, they collect their 50 free credits. Just don't spend gold in it unless you have 400 and have used all three daily mission refreshes and desperately want a box right now. And never buy a Fast Upgrade for any reason.

Regarding upgrading: while it's cheaper to upgrade Commons than any other rarity, there is also a chapter mission every month to upgrade 12 cards. Save the cheap upgrades for that, even if it means you climb a bit slower. I always upgrade the highest level card that I have enough boosters for.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Day 4 of playing report: Collection Level 176, Rank 49, Season Pass 36

I expect to hit 50 in both Rank and Season Pass before the end of the season.

Got a solid zoo list that has been doing work, low costs boosted by Kazar/Blue Marvel, with Iron Man and Onslaught. Attempts to move into a discard or Devil Dinosaur type deck have seen middling results at best.

Considering giving them :10bux: for the season pass, as it seems like the best value you're gonna get in this, but then I'd have to find a free VPN that has a country that this is out in and :effort:

I'm considering making a goon discord for this, to bounce deck ideas and stuff around, if there's any interest for that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Go RV! posted:

Day 4 of playing report: Collection Level 176, Rank 49, Season Pass 36

I expect to hit 50 in both Rank and Season Pass before the end of the season.

Got a solid zoo list that has been doing work, low costs boosted by Kazar/Blue Marvel, with Iron Man and Onslaught. Attempts to move into a discard or Devil Dinosaur type deck have seen middling results at best.

Considering giving them :10bux: for the season pass, as it seems like the best value you're gonna get in this, but then I'd have to find a free VPN that has a country that this is out in and :effort:

I'm considering making a goon discord for this, to bounce deck ideas and stuff around, if there's any interest for that.

You don't need a VPN. Just set up a second Google account based in Australia, NZ or the Philippines and have your Play Store set to that when you open the client. It should detect your proxy's payment details even though your Snap account is registered to your real address. We're only three weeks out from global release anyway, though, so you'll only need to do this once.

I would advise you to keep your collection level low until you hit Infinite if you have a playable deck. You'll be matched mostly against low level bots and can hammer your way up the rankings quite swiftly. I didn't know this, powered my CL as much as an F2P player can and now get only the invincible cheater bots and Infinite players.

I don't really think that a goon discord is worth it for theorycrafting. The official discord has a ton of traffic and anything we could come up with will already have been worked out there and posted on MarvelSnapZone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

One week of playing update:

Season easily cleared, but Google is being a jerk about locations. I probably won't bother trying to cheese my way to giving them tenbux, Fury is pretty ok but I'm not exactly dying to get it. The Noir version is very cool though.

Jedit posted:

I would advise you to keep your collection level low until you hit Infinite if you have a playable deck. You'll be matched mostly against low level bots and can hammer your way up the rankings quite swiftly. I didn't know this, powered my CL as much as an F2P player can and now get only the invincible cheater bots and Infinite players.

This is good advice. I've paused my Collection Level at 214, the end of Pool 1, with about 2000 credits stored. After having previously stalled out at about 55, I pushed to the end of Pool 1 yesterday, where I finally got Bishop and re-tuned my Zoo deck (I also underestimated Angela). Now, I have been slicing through ranks. Currently at 67, and I think there's an outside chance I can hit 80 before the end of the season if I go hard for it.