Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of usernames, I ran into someone with the same name as me. They had the same title, too (Absolute Garbage, best title) but I didn't screenshot very brief VS intro screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
When this happens to me it nearly always turns into a very friendly emote-filled game. Like making friends on the playground as a kid.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i go highlander mode. There can only be one.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
So if any of you are like me and buy the fun looking new cards regardless of if they're actually going to be any good or not, KM Best posted a Cannonball High Evo deck and it actually feels pretty drat good. Cannonball is doing legit work and isn't just a meme 5 drop to throw in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqKd0xzT1kw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The inconsistency in Ongoing and "ongoing" abilities is really starting to be annoying. Morbius is Ongoing, but his total power only shows in play. Knull is Ongoing but his power gain shows in hand. The Collector behaves like an Ongoing but isn't. poo poo's stupid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think they are gradually updating some cards so that the power shows in hand

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Knull is the one that's out of the ordinary.

Morbius works like an Ongoing should.
Collector is not an Ongoing because he doesn't accrue points in hand or deck.
Knull shows points when he should be 0 power, which led to things like that Dracula bullshit a while back (I'm assuming that got patched because I never see it anymore).

Their excuse was that Knull was "hard to track" or something like that. My rebuttal is that people should learn to count.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Devo posted:

Knull is the one that's out of the ordinary.

Morbius works like an Ongoing should.
Collector is not an Ongoing because he doesn't accrue points in hand or deck.
Knull shows points when he should be 0 power, which led to things like that Dracula bullshit a while back (I'm assuming that got patched because I never see it anymore).

Their excuse was that Knull was "hard to track" or something like that. My rebuttal is that people should learn to count.

Or they could just show the power once he's on the board

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

novamute posted:

Or they could just show the power once he's on the board

That's what it should do, just like Morbius, Devil Dinosaur, or any of the other Ongoings that gain power. But he's special for some reason.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ronin shows his power in hand now too

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

...And I'm S3 complete at CL 4918. Last card was Miles Morales. Last card I'm thinking of maybe putting in a deck was 2 cards back, Falcon.

And some thoughts on card collection and progression. I've been playing since the Loki season, so just over 6 months. I bought every season pass and not much else (other than the very rare $5 thing when they have one and I'm in an impulse-buying mode). Honestly, I probably spend more minutes on this game than I do watching Netflix just because it's the thing I do on commutes, and $10 a month for something like that is very reasonable for me. I had a stint at a (failed) mobile game studio in the past and I know how much it costs to develop and maintain a game like this and keep a company running.

I have been keeping track of freebies like Twitch drops and web-store promotions. I'm also looking at data mines (knowing full well that they might be wrong, and not seeing a problem with that) which led to some good decisions about when to hoard gold and keys for cards I really want.

I have 12/24 S4 cards and 28/38 S5 cards. More importantly, with the exception of my white whale Alioth I have every meta-relevant S4/5 cards in the archetypes I like to play. Sure, occasionally when the meta turns a certain way I can't try the Tier 1-of-the-day deck (I'm missing several important discard cards, for example, and also things like Hit Monkey), but I never felt like I can't play decks that are competitive and fun for me.

As for new player experience - I thought it was very good? I don't really get the complaints (unless you're the kind of player who gets to infinite two days after installing the app). CL-based matchmaking works very well, and even in the first half of S3, where I saw the most variety of cards I don't yet own, it was pretty clear my opponents had *different* cards but also as random a selection of them as I had. As far as S5-based meta archetypes, it was interesting how I saw practically no Thanos until the moment I managed to get him because he was in a spotlight cache. I assume matchmaking had me playing against people who started playing roughly when I did and had no good way of getting him either, so we all got hold of the card at the same time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah I don't believe a single person has been banned or probated from that system ever

That would require SD to employ human support staff. They do not, everything in those forms except your email address gets thrown in the bin. You can tell because the canned SD response asks you to give them all the information that you already gave them on the form, even your Snap ID and the time of the event (which they shouldn't need to ask for anyway; you can't access the form once you leave the match, so the time must be "now"). It's a deliberate tactic used to make you jump through so many hoops that you give up, while making it look like they're responding.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Jedit posted:

That would require SD to employ human support staff. They do not, everything in those forms except your email address gets thrown in the bin. You can tell because the canned SD response asks you to give them all the information that you already gave them on the form, even your Snap ID and the time of the event (which they shouldn't need to ask for anyway; you can't access the form once you leave the match, so the time must be "now"). It's a deliberate tactic used to make you jump through so many hoops that you give up, while making it look like they're responding.

Yea the total team as revealed by someone on discord is like 75 people. Of which 55 are working on Snap and the rest are working on SD's second game.

They must sub out some form of customer service as with a player base in the millions it cant be possible to deal with legitimate problems that players have in house.

So yea don't bother reporting the guy who roped you, or the Nazi's username. It's just a waste of your time.

Also here is the hardest deck Iv'e played this season, but easily the most consistent at climbing FOR ME. This isnt a new deck, the marvel snapzone people (great videos btw for competative snappers) posted it a few weeks ago because it had fallen off after the Lockjaw nerfs.

Use at your own risk.

Morbius
Swarm
Collen Wing
Corvus
Lockjaw
Proxima
Dracula
Modok
Hela
Magneto
Infinaut
Apoc

This deck to me has become the pinnacle of the odds based marvel snap decks.
In that you are playing the odds that your powerful effect, in this case something into Lockjaw, is game winning.
The reason this deck gets me so many cubes is that like other combo style decks it can just start playing cards turn 4 and win the game. People see you miss the first three turns and just snap into you. You can stay alot of the time and either win on six or retreat then.

I know this looks like someone took Hela and Discard and smooshed them together to make a less consistent version of both decks, but that is WRONG. Someone actually took a look at Corvus in discard shells and asked themselves what would make him more worth playing. The answer was to add a tight and focused Hela package and they ended up with a BANGER.

Once again only put this together if you already have the cards and know how to play the two kinds of decks this is a mix of otherwise you will spew cubes.

Edit, had to fix list was posting from memory and put some wrong cards in.

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 31, 2024

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is there some strategy in using Ongoing decks in Conquest mode? I'm doing my monthly ticket clean out and pretty much every deck I'm facing has some combination Ant-Man, Cerebro or Omega Red. They show up way less often on the ladder.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hobo Clown posted:

Is there some strategy in using Ongoing decks in Conquest mode? I'm doing my monthly ticket clean out and pretty much every deck I'm facing has some combination Ant-Man, Cerebro or Omega Red. They show up way less often on the ladder.

They tend to just be more consistent and have more flexibility, that's why I like mine for conquest

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Also if your opponent isn't packing Enchantress or Rogue then you're in a very advantageous situation over a multiple game set.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It’s all fun and games until you run into that one weirdo playing tribunal with super skrull

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Marx Headroom posted:

How are these decks beating you? Luke Cage is an autowin but there are a few ways to deal with the usual suspects (Cosmo their Wong, surprise T6 Shadow King, etc)

Usually a Wong > Mystique > Hazmat, although I've also been getting hit with a few of what I call revolver decks (Wong > Mystique > Gambit)
TBH I think the real culprit is Wong, it's just I have options for most of the other Wong wins, but without Cage I don't have anything that can prevent power saps

Also after grinding my rear end off for keys I FINALLY landed War Machine. From this drop I really wanted either WM or Silk
I don't really want to play him right now, but I feel like I want to have him in the pocket. I had one key saved (got Phoenix Force), worked hard for another (Silver Samurai) then finally WM on the third with a day to spare. Thank christ.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

You'd think that, by now, they would have implemented the FFWD feature for anyone who stacks Wong -> Mystique, then adds on Odin just to give you a 5 minute piss break.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Here are some things that gently caress up Wong > Mystique > whatever:

Cosmo
Enchantress
Rogue
Spider-Man
Storm
Professor X
Magneto
Aero
Doctor Octopus
Leech
Negasonic Teenage Warhead

And if you're rich:
Echo
Annihilus
Lady Deathstrike

You can also just retreat if they put down Wong and snap. Lucky for you Wong decks are very easy to dismantle, that's why they never make the top tier lists!

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Marx Headroom posted:

Here are some things that gently caress up Wong > Mystique > whatever:

Cosmo
Enchantress
Rogue
Spider-Man
Storm
Professor X
Magneto
Aero
Doctor Octopus
Leech
Negasonic Teenage Warhead

And if you're rich:
Echo
Annihilus
Lady Deathstrike

You can also just retreat if they put down Wong and snap. Lucky for you Wong decks are very easy to dismantle, that's why they never make the top tier lists!

I do have the unstruck ones listed. Annihilus has been good for my "Sorry It Has Come To This" title deck, maybe I'll work him into a couple more.

No Fun Allowed
(1) The Hood
(1) Yondu
(2) Scorpion
(3) Green Goblin
(3) Cosmo
(3) Viper
(4) Shang-Chi
(4) Sentry
(5) Hobgoblin
(5) Annihilus
(6) Doctor Doom (I just like the Tarot variation)
(6) She-Hulk

Devo posted:

So the thing about Yondu is that he actually sucks. That deck really wants Ravonna Renslayer, but if you don't have her yet then Iceman is both better than Yondu and makes your opponent feel worse when he hits their on curve drop.
Yeah, he was a lot more destructive before his rework. I don't have Ravonna, but will test out Iceman. Thanks!

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So the thing about Yondu is that he actually sucks. That deck really wants Ravonna Renslayer, but if you don't have her yet then Iceman is both better than Yondu and makes your opponent feel worse when he hits their on curve drop.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Marx Headroom posted:

Wong users, like everyone else, are blind to the secret best Tech Card, Ghost Spider.

Drop Wong wherever. When your opponent tries to shut him off, pull him to a completely different lane, get to blastin'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Another new pixel album just got added

also April Season Preview video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3P62TrAJ2c

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

April 23rd is Nico week-o again. Set your calendars, non Nico havers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Devo posted:

April 23rd is Nico week-o again. Set your calendars, non Nico havers.

She is absolutely worth a key. I have her, and I kind of want that variant.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Yeah, I don't have a Nico variant yet and that one is p dope

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

All of the cards this month seem pretty sick

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The middle three spotlights this month all have staple cards in them, even ignoring the new cards. Very good targets for newer players or players without much of a S5 collection.

April 9: Jeff! The premier 2-drop in the game. Isn't he just bigger Nightcrawler, you might ask? NO. Every time I take Jeff! out of a list it feels appreciably worse. Plug and play into almost every deck.

April 16: High Evolutionary. This card unlocks multiple brand new decks for you using cards you already own. Not only that, the decks are competitive. The fact that these decks get played despite having a 4/4 with no text in them is a testament to how good they are.

April 23: Nico Minoru. She is just the most fun card in the game. A staple in Destroy, Bounce, or Zoo decks. Nothing in the game replaces her in the decks she goes in.

Looking at the other weeks...

April 2: Echo and Sebastian Shaw. Echo is a card that I always think should get more play than she actually does. But she doesn't, and that's probably for a reason. Shaw goes in Silver Surfer decks and I don't even know if he's optimal to include in those most of the time.

April 30: Blob and Knull. Blob goes in Thanos decks. He used to be broken, now he's just good. I hate playing Thanos though. Knull is a key card in destroy, but he's S4. I know tokens are hard to come by, but I still tend to spend those on S4 cards instead of keys.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Concurred posted:

All of the cards this month seem pretty sick
My order would be-

1. White Widow
2. Red Hulk
3. Valentina
4. Red Guardian
5. US Agent

I don't think US Agent is going to be used very much. Valentina could be sneaky good in Loki decks since you can pair her with cards like Collector, Quinjet, and more importantly Luke Cage so that the power loss on that card she recruits is irrelevant

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I already have High Evo and Red Guardian only seems ai'ight but I'm definitely key-diving for that Lady Deathstrike variant, as well as White Widow and the Nico Variant (and if I get it, the Snowguard, 'cause whatever I don't have a variant for her yet anyway). White Widow is also the first card I'm going to token so I can get the initial spotlight variant, 'cause drat the Farro cards are good.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I think you both might be sleeping on Red Guardian a bit. He's an effective 3/5 with a silence ability, and those don't really exist in the game in a proactive fashion.

e: I'm probably the lowest on US Agent and then Red Hulk. I fail to see a major use case for US Agent, and Red Hulk is just another big idiot in a game full of them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean Red Guardian is potentially useful, but he's very situational. They show him taking out cards like Patriot and Iron Man in the season video.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean Red Guardian is potentially useful, but he's very situational. They show him taking out cards like Patriot and Iron Man in the season video.

There are lots of on curve targets in the meta right now. Zabu, Ravonna, Collector, Morbius just to name a few off the top of my head. If Phoenix Force decks keep picking up steam then sniping their Multiple Man is devastating. Iron Man is obviously the juiciest target, but I think he has a ton of utility even outside of that highroll.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
I hate babies, but Silver Surfer is a great baby.

Red Guardian looks like a pretty interesting tech card, kind of like Rogue that hits when it misses.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I find it really hilarious that people still don't know what Echo does and continue to play Ongoing cards into her lane. I am still having this happen as of this afternoon.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
If War Machine and Echo have taught me anything it's that hyper focused tech cards aren't quite as impactful as just an absolute dump truck rear end body of stats.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's funny because I only have Echo in my Lockdown deck right now, which I haven't played much lately until WM came out, and she is actually pretty useful a lot of the time. Especially since Zabu is pretty common.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Devo posted:

I think you both might be sleeping on Red Guardian a bit. He's an effective 3/5 with a silence ability, and those don't really exist in the game in a proactive fashion.

e: I'm probably the lowest on US Agent and then Red Hulk. I fail to see a major use case for US Agent, and Red Hulk is just another big idiot in a game full of them.

From an interest perspective, or a power perspective?

I get not caring about yet another stat stick, but from a power perspective he might be one of the best "Big idiot" cards simply because he has no deckbuilding opportunity cost.

His average stats will be like 6/15 with no restrictions or requirements to play. His highroll stats can be like a point lower then the best stated cards in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

From an interest perspective. I didn't buy Cull Obsidian either. Red Hulk will go in decks I'm sure. But luckily, Shang-Chi still exists and will release us from our terrible existences.