Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

No Wave posted:

The first six months of SNAP is just so hardcore. Six months of not having all the P3s. You either need to be so casual you're not paying attention to the cards on the screen or so long-term oriented that you can rationalize losing to cards you cant own for half a year. I'm amazed it's barely changed, even just adding pick one of three to P3 caches would help.

I dont think the game is for everyone, but it does seem like it could be for more people. Log in once every 8 hours for an entire month to try to lock your desired P3 this month was designed by some kind of sadist pervert freak.

FWIW, this is not my experience. I've only been playing since the Loki season and fairly casually but still try to get all the missions done, and I buy the season pass but nothing else. Current CL is mid-1000, a fair bit into P3 but still missing a lot of the key cards for some decks. What I find is that because matchmaking is done mainly based on CL, all of my opponents are in the same situation. We may not have the same cards but everyone is lacking *a lot* so archetype decks without their powerful S4/5 finishers are absolutely viable (I've been running a destroy deck without Death or Venom that wins more often than not). When I see S4/5 cards it's pretty much only the season pass cards or cards that've been in spotlight vaults since that feature turned on for me. Only very very occasionally I run into someone with a card I literally had no reasonable way of getting without spending money - I think I've only encountered a Jeff in an opponent's deck *once*, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I got Jeff on my first pull. Now the dilemma is whether to use more keys this week - I don't have any of other cards either and by all accounts they're also good to have.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It was an interesting game, but had a lot of problems.

It was in early access and the client was often buggy and in general slow with long load times. It was also PC-only in an environment where mobile is an important platform for online CCGs. Its initial (and only major) push had them get Marvel Snap streamers to sponsor play it, despite it being nothing alike (and not a mobile game) - Dual Force is much more like Hearthstone than Snap, and *also* has a bunch of fairly advanced mechanics that are confusing and intimidating to casual players. And so the player pool was very low and not growing.

It's a shame because it *is* an interesting game with some new ideas and even the PvE mode was pretty unique.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The one thing new players with lots of time on their hands should know is that managing to climb all the way up to Infinite in the first few weeks of play is not a good idea. When climbing the ladder you're matched against players around the same collection level. Once you hit infinite you're matched against every other infinite player, which is mostly people who've been playing for months and have a much larger collection. At that point you're just losing every game to very powerful cards you are still weeks or months from being able to get.

So if you find yourself climbing too fast, play less or go play conquest (which you'll unlock fairly soon) for a while.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It's a relatively minor technicality but I found a new pet peeve in discussions of Pixie talking about two cards "swapping" their costs. That's not how a shuffle of costs works - a shuffle would take all the costs, randomly rearrange them, then assign this new list to the original cards. That means that if your Wasp got a Blob's 6 energy it doesn't mean the Blob is 0 - it could've gotten a 3 from some other card in the deck.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

flatluigi posted:

she shuffles the costs, not swaps. the costs are put into a bucket and reassigned randomly back to the cards in the deck, which does in fact mean that the high cost cards can stay high and the lower stay low

A card getting its own cost back isn't even a rare occurrence - if my math is correct if you play Pixie on 2 with 7 cards in your deck, the chance at least one of them gets its own cost back is greater than %60 (note that this *is not* saying that if there's only one 6-cost card in there it's a %60 chance it stays 6 - that chance is *much much* smaller). If you play Pixie when there are only 2 cards in your deck it's 50-50 whether they switch or not. That's how shuffling anything works.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'm late series 3 and got 7 new cards today, and no idea which one to try first (well, probably not Spider-Man 2099 which is the one I got off a regular progression Reserve).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Well, I have about 60 percent of Series 4+5 cards so the fourth spotlight is more likely to give me a duplicate than not, but this time it was a hit (Phoenix Force).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Perfect luck this week - got Mockingbird in 1.

I had 4 keys, *and* do not have the other 2 cards in the spotlight this week so it wouldn't be a complete disaster if I didn't get her quickly, but I really hoped for a quick Mockingbird because I do also want War Machine in 2 weeks, don't have *that* week's other 2 cards either, and kinda want them more than Ghost Spider or Man-Thing.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Also I'm very thankful Miek wasn't considered a very good pick when he was released so many people don't have him, because if I ever see that card coming down on turn 1 after this week's buff I'm leaving on the spot.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Krakoa is cool when you play a 2-cost Mockingbird into it and get a 17-power Vision.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Pixel Helicarrier from Twitch which is actually not a bad variant and I think I'll use it if I ever put Helicarrier in a deck.

Midnight Suns Human Torch from the season pass, which is very cool.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, I don't see the issue - Prof X's ability seems pretty consistent to me. Once he's revealed, and barring Jeff/War Machine shenanigans, the state of his location re: which cards are there and which side of the board they're on can't change. Unrevealed cards revealing themselves doesn't contradict this - playing cards into a location is simultaneous so they were there before the Professor is revealed.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

Eh whatever, Alioth/Galactus deletes unrevealed cards, they're fair game to be hosed with

Sure, unrevealed cards are perfect targets for abilities. Prof X’s ability is just about “cards”, though, and honestly - if he also had an Alioth effect it would make him far too powerful.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It took me all 4 attempts this week to get War Machine (I had 6 keys). I did not have either Silk or Silver Samurai, though, and I got Gladiator (which I also didn't have) off the random one. I'd say it's a win, as I'd probably stop at War Machine if I got him in 1.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

This is the perfect approach. Draw the cards you need, and skip any you don't, even if you don't have them so that when you get unlucky it still turns into a 4 for 4 week because you're missing enough marginal and bad cards to still hit a full set.

Well done. You are unironically good at playing Marvel Snap Economy.

I'm now trying to figure out the best way to get to 6000 tokens from the 1100 I'm sitting on now. I have Alioth pinned, it's not projected to be in spotlights for the foreseeable future and it's the one meta-defining card I still don't have that I'm likely to put in some decks. This should get marginally easier after I'm season 3 complete probably sometime this week, right? You sometime get more tokens where there were season 3 cards before?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Nope, not anymore. They removed that when they added Spotlights. Gaining tokens is much more difficult now, which was kinda the trade-off for adding the Spotlight system. You still get 100 from Collector's Reserves sometimes, in addition to weekly quests and various other dribs and drabs. The only way to get a decent chunk all at once is through bundles; otherwise, it's a very slow trickle.

The chart over here, which I believe is up to date, says the two reserves in a group of nine that were reserved for series 3 cards are a 50-50 chance between a gold ticket and 100 tokens when you're S3 complete. So in a group of nine reserves I have a guaranteed 100 tokens now, and it's going to potentially be 200 or 300 after I get my final 3 S3 cards. Still not much but can get there faster.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A Surfer deck with Mobius and Legion can be really devastating with the Utopia hot location - I just played Shaw+Patriot+Wong+Surfer+AbsMan on turn 6 while my opponent had no cost reduction at all.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Synonymous posted:

Thanks all, I'll try to keep the rage tempered and hold out for the big prize

If you really feel Luke Cage is what will help you right now, it’s only a couple of days until you get to have the free monthly S3 card again. Just remember to check every 8 hours so you don’t miss him when he rotates in.

I’d argue there are probably better cards to get, though, depending on what you already have.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

...And I'm S3 complete at CL 4918. Last card was Miles Morales. Last card I'm thinking of maybe putting in a deck was 2 cards back, Falcon.

And some thoughts on card collection and progression. I've been playing since the Loki season, so just over 6 months. I bought every season pass and not much else (other than the very rare $5 thing when they have one and I'm in an impulse-buying mode). Honestly, I probably spend more minutes on this game than I do watching Netflix just because it's the thing I do on commutes, and $10 a month for something like that is very reasonable for me. I had a stint at a (failed) mobile game studio in the past and I know how much it costs to develop and maintain a game like this and keep a company running.

I have been keeping track of freebies like Twitch drops and web-store promotions. I'm also looking at data mines (knowing full well that they might be wrong, and not seeing a problem with that) which led to some good decisions about when to hoard gold and keys for cards I really want.

I have 12/24 S4 cards and 28/38 S5 cards. More importantly, with the exception of my white whale Alioth I have every meta-relevant S4/5 cards in the archetypes I like to play. Sure, occasionally when the meta turns a certain way I can't try the Tier 1-of-the-day deck (I'm missing several important discard cards, for example, and also things like Hit Monkey), but I never felt like I can't play decks that are competitive and fun for me.

As for new player experience - I thought it was very good? I don't really get the complaints (unless you're the kind of player who gets to infinite two days after installing the app). CL-based matchmaking works very well, and even in the first half of S3, where I saw the most variety of cards I don't yet own, it was pretty clear my opponents had *different* cards but also as random a selection of them as I had. As far as S5-based meta archetypes, it was interesting how I saw practically no Thanos until the moment I managed to get him because he was in a spotlight cache. I assume matchmaking had me playing against people who started playing roughly when I did and had no good way of getting him either, so we all got hold of the card at the same time.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

So Red Hulk reveals himself to the opponent when he gains power in hand. This probably makes him significantly weaker, but I like this design.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Rulk in one, thank god. I thought I wasn't going to try for him because there are cards later this season I'm more excited for but bought into the hype. Now I can have all of them.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I had my Nimrod-on-Shuri's-Lab Shang-chi'd on the turn he's revealed *twice* today. Once there was an additional Shuri buffing him up. It was pretty obvious both times what kind of deck I'm playing.

Thanks for the even easier wins, I guess.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

So what is the counter for mill decks supposed to be? Apart from pay $10 for the season pass to play it yourself. If there isn't one, I think I'm done with this game for good

A lot of these effects target the lowest Cost card in the deck, so put Yellowjacket and/or Wasp in there to make their Zemo bad and help you thin your deck for the good cards.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Firebert posted:

I'm glad I pulled the Nico variant on the first key so I knew I could stop as soon as I got White Widow (still took three pulls...)

White Widow in 1… And I really want that Nico variant but going to hold myself.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Some exceptional luck means I'm getting 4 out of the 5 new cards this month. I skipped US Agent and got every other one in 1 or 2, and the cases I got them in 2 the other card was also one I didn't have. I never had more than 5 keys at one time and I will have 5 for Valentina next week.

I hear people saying card acquisition is bad and I get it, but it's been really good to me basically since I started getting keys.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Devo posted:

Is anyone else's game laggy as gently caress? I'm having trouble even playing cards on PC.

If you've updated your client to the new version, this is probably new assets still being downloaded. Unlike most other games like this, SD decided to make the new assets that come with a patch download in the background instead of having a download screen when you launch the game. This was a terrible decision since as of last month's patch the game is virtually unplayable while this is happening. Today's update also took longer than usual, either because the assets are large or the servers are slammed, I dunno.

On mobile there's a purple bar and tiny text at the bottom of the main screen when assets are downloading (it restarts several times for the different asset types). If you're seeing it, wait it out.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RegisKillbin's season preview video alerted me to the 2: Armor left, 3: Cosmo right, 4: Wong middle, 5: Namora middle, 6: Odin middle playline that makes me think maybe she's much better than I initially thought?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I mean, yeah, it's easily disruptable by both Cosmo and junk (and probably some other stuff) but this leaves enough room in the deck for other win conditions and it's a *very* strong combo even if you get only one lane buffed.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Really? If PG counts then leagues become even more of a P2W grind. It’ll be 100% about the number of games played and boosts purchased. In addition to making GBS threads up PG with a bunch of sweaty grinders.

My take on it is that I don't really care - it's not P2W in the sense that whales are getting an advantage in the actual game (other than the usual reason that they have a more complete collection of cards, which isn't much of an actual issue in this game despite lots of whining). It's just another way for whales to get ahead in card acquisition, which they already can if they spend lots of money. They'll get their extra keys and credits and premium variants, and I will at least get a free pity prize at the bottom of the league that I didn't get before. I'd mostly be upset if the league prompts are too annoying.

If anything, PG in my region is 95 percent Agatha and/or Concede-on-Turn-3 grinders. It's a miracle if I ever get a real person there. And since this type of grinding is all about not caring about losses, maybe this will make them quit their AFK grinding schemes.

Edit: Also, from what I gather league groups are selected automatically with players of a similar level. If SD are smart, they'll group whales with whales and non-whales with non-whales. Make the whales spend even more and the rest of us feel better about not competing with unreasonable scores.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 9, 2024

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Jedit posted:

No, they are getting an actual advantage from perks. Specifically, there's a perk that stops you losing league points when you lose. With that perk players are not only able to snap with impunity, they're actually incentivised to do so because you're rewarded for making your opponent retreat. And the only defence is to buy a shield yourself. It's literal pay to win.

They are still losing cubes on ladder if they lose, so I don't see why anyone's going to risk that: the points only contribute toward the alliances rewards, and those rewards aren't very good.

If they want to climb ladder/win Conquest tickets, they can't really do that.

Edit: Or let's put it this way: The rewards for being #1 in your alliances group are one spotlight key, 1 premium variant, 1000 credits and some boosters. The key is the best thing here, and you're not getting that for any rank but first.

Conquest prizes are better. Ladder rewards are better. Would you spend a lot of money to buy lots of perks and snap on turn one every game (likely losing you ladder cubes and conquest wins) for the chance to get these, and you're not even guaranteed get first place in the end? There are far better ways to spend money in this game.

In fact, reports indicate the main problem with the event is the *opposite* - alliances players are reluctant to snap turn one in PG conquests, as is customary, because losing in PG has consequences now and almost no one is getting the perks.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

First game today, PG with a Blink/Nocturne deck to get started with the weekend missions. I did snap on the first turn, but after realizing this was a turn 3 concede grinder I didn't on any of the subsequent games. Ended up getting the entire Nocturne mission, 7/8 on the Blink mission, and as an added bonus the entire Make Opponent Concede season mission that came up today.