Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I really dig the gambling / bluffing aspects of it, I think it could be pretty cool.

edit: https://twitter.com/bbrode/status/1527343676124303360

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yikes that is a massive bummer

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Dukberry posted:

I feel a little schadenfreude right now. I know betas are largely demos at this point, but the devs for this game made no attempt to appear to be interested in addressing beta tester feedback. If the game crashes and burns because they dug too greedily, I chose to simply think that is Very Funny.

yeah i'm definitely making the turn between genuine disappointed and just enjoying the trainwreck

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it’s out in Australia so I got it. It’s actually really fun, and super polished, I especially like how limited the card pool is, it makes me feel that I can be experimental, understand every card and not feel like I’m playing the wrong deck because I’m just using what I’ve got. And the match length is perfect.

That approach is terrible for people who want to catch ‘em all though, can definitely see how people would torture themselves trying to get to to the complete set. This game is 1000% not for doing that.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Wheeee posted:

it's terrible for people who haven't managed to catch the deck defining cards they want to use too, which becomes an increasing problem as you move up the card pools. they also keep nerfing all the good pool 1 cards lol

snap is a super fun game with a profoundly awful progression/monetization system that is going to kill it

they've been hyping "Nexus Events" for over a month now and they aren't even events, just a literal loving gacha

They’ve been clear that not being able to netdeck is a feature, not a bug and after playing it for a bit I have to agree with them. It’s super refreshing. I also agree with you that peoples expectations, that they want to and should play what the streamer is playing, are set entirely wrong and could easily kill the game, but npc bots are a lot easier to beat than humans so nbd imo

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jedit posted:

It's not "super refreshing" when you get bad luck with your opens and you don't get pivotal cards until the end of the pool. This happened to me in both pools 1 and 2: my last two pool 1 cards were Rocket and Switch (pre-nerf, when she was a crucial component of 1-drop Zoo), and coming to the end of pool 2 I'm still missing Morbius for the discard deck. And I'm sure it's just a strange coincidence that in Pool 1 I was playing 1-drop Zoo and in Pool 2 I've mainly been playing Discard.

Also the bots cheat, which is not fun. I played the same bot twice in a row, saw its entire deck in the first game. In the second game it played 11 identical cards plus one that it changed on turn 6 because I'd played around it.

This poo poo is what I'm talking about. You're looking at some kind of deck list and going 'oh no i need Morbius to fill in this list to achieve optium EV bleep bloop' instead of doing what the game is demanding of you, throw all your cards together and play with them and see which ones don't work and swap them around. you get boosters regardless, just play and have fun without expectations of winning or collecting.

like i have a tiger woman who makes tigers, how great is that? just chill and enjoy your free comic book friends

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 25, 2022

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jedit posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people who play a strategy card game have higher aspirations than banging their action figures together like a five year old. I don't expect to be able to build any deck perfectly from day 1, especially not as an F2P player, but nobody is having fun looking at a pile of lovely 1-drops that can't win anything because you haven't opened Ka-Zar yet. And they've actually made this situation worse. Pool 1 used to be given in a fixed order, so you would gradually build your first decks and you could see how they came together, but now it's random. Combined with players having zero agency in how they acquire new cards, it's a very bad feeling.

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves. There really isn’t anything else friendo. You’re just making yourself unhappy with your own expectations. Contentment doesn’t unlock with your ELO, it’s just a meaningless stat.

There is nothing in life that unlocks when you win enough games, just an endless number of people who are better than you and worse than you. If a match is evenly ranked you should have a 50% chance anyway so if you want to get efficient winz just flip a coin instead of playing a whole rear end game and spend money on it.

Besides, I win pretty much every game all the time because there’s only bots around to play me and I’m having a great time, very good feeling. No Ka-zar yet, not looking at deck lists, just enjoying solving the puzzle by myself without cheating instead of implementing some nerd’s spreadsheet and playing some tired metagame. It’s honestly the chillest I’ve been playing a phone game forever.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CitizenKeen posted:

I love that the person who has only played enough games to be against bots is trying to explain the chill game to the rest of us.

And your false equivalence of wanting cards and netdecking is some combination of ignorant and stupid; I don't know you well enough to guess at the ratio. Creating cool combos isn't some genius level idea. I was crazy excited to find when cards dropped on marvelsnap.io, because I started building decks. "Oooh, these two would be fun together." (Hey, it's your operative word!) Oh wait, I can't get half that fun pairing because the monetization is hot garbage.

Thanks, Socrates. But for the genre of card games (as opposed to gacha games), a large chunk of the "fun" is in building cool decks, and being limited to my lovely card pool with no way to expand it without sucking Ben Brode's dick for two months is worse than when I was in middle school and the Shivan Dragon was the coolest thing I couldn't afford.

I'm happy you're enjoying your poop time masturbating with bots, but some of us had actually hoped to engage with the game, and have found it's not worth it because it sucks.

Exactly. You went into the game expecting a completely different type of game, even though Brode was clear and explicit from the start that he wanted to replicate that middle school experience that you say you hated. So it’s weird you did that.

As an update, I’m now playing with humans pretty much all the time and having a great one, got Ka Zar, unlocking a bunch of cards, introduced it to a bunch of mates (by explaining to them that it shouldn’t be approached like a ccg like you did). Still not looking up cards that I might never unlock, just enjoying discovering cards as I encounter them. Unlocking them at a pretty good clip too.

If you want to play the game, just enjoy the mystery and stop spoilering yourself, I have no idea why you want to torture yourself and I have double no idea why you’d want to try and convince me that I’m not having “properly real” fun when I am. What are you trying to accomplish and why?

You should really re-read your post and understand how much of a gross hate filled joyless beancounter you come off as, and really interrogate why you choose to represent yourself like that because it isn’t a good look.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CitizenKeen posted:

Given the choice between however I look, and looking like someone who's trying to defend a predatory gacha game as "it's fun because it's lol random", I'll take my look every day.

Nah, it’s fun because, according to its most public detractors, it has a great core game design, it’s extremely fast so it’s quick to learn from mistakes, and it has an immaculate presentation. That’s why you’re angry enough to get toxic and gatekeepery about it, because you know that as well.

You guys only don’t like it because you’re trying and expecting to “stay competitive” in a game that says on the box it’s like playing ccgs back in school where you can’t just buy a deck. It’s explicitly not a competitive game, it’s an fast, interesting strategy and tactical challenge that is fair because it’s always with someone matched to your win rate, and part of why it’s interesting is because both sides are fighting with what they got, which could be wildly different, instead of meta garbage.

Trying to become king of Snap is trying to become the most popular kid in high school as a 35 year old laywer - yes it’s going to take a laughably huge amount of money because it’s a laughably stupid goal.

From a marketing perspective, It would be better if the monetisation in snap was purely cosmetic, just avatars and card backs, because it would prevent this category error you have made. As a whole I wouldn’t recommend spending any money at all on the game. It won’t make it the completely different, expensive and much worse game you are pining for.

I hope this has helped you try and approach the game on its own terms. You’re clearly in no small amount of pain, which is why I have tried to share with you my approach. Your emotions and feelings are valid and your confusion is justified, but I really think with a very slight shift in perspective you could be playing a pretty cool free game you were excited about instead of making yourself miserable and trying to drag other people into your misery.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CitizenKeen posted:

Wow. I’m not going to feed the troll any more. Ignored.

Nah man I’m on the level. It is totally possible to enjoy this game, and I genuinely hope you find a way to it or a way for you to move forward.

Here’s a vid of my current collection, again $0 and a pretty enjoyable couple of hours. Named a deck Keen to prove it’s mine.

Strategy is to keep playing with the least valuable cards until they level up, making the best deck under those constraints, which I think is pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Credits are the most precious. Never buy boosters / alt art. Just don’t go to the store at all. You will soon be drowning in boosters, since you get them free every time you play and you won’t ever have enough credits to upgrade, since you only get them from missions / gold.

Only spend gold on mission refreshes. It’s the same price as spending it on credits but missions give you seasonal progression as well.

For upgrading cards (using boosters you’ve earned, again, never buy them from the store), the best deal is the first upgrade step, the frame break, since it’s ¼ of the price of the next step which gives you only twice as many collection points. Grind your commons, chuck all your commons in a deck and play with them until you upgrade them all. You’ll keep unlocking new cars pretty quick, so keep that grinding.

The second best deal is the last upgrade step, infinite, because you get a brand new common version of that card (but a step fancier), which means you can get that half price collection point again. So once you reach the point where you can comfortably get 500ish credits a day from missions and you don’t really have any commons, don’t upgrade lesser cards unless you don’t have anywhere near enough boosters to infi.

It’s a really fun game, I’m mostly though third pool, having a blast. I’ve bought two season passes, which are a bit nice but not really essential, haven’t bought anything else.