Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Anybody else in the closed beta? I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm worried about where the economy/progression systems are headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

There are three ways to unlock new cards.

1. You unlock random cards periodically by increasing your collection level. You increase your collection level by spending credits to visually upgrade the cards you already have. Credits are earned by completing daily missions or spending real money. The trickle of credits from the dailies and the season pass are enough to unlock a couple cards a day. It's not clear whether this pace is fast enough without buying additional credits to eventually fill out the basic set before more cards are added to the pool.

2. Guaranteed card rewards from the monthly season pass. The pass costs ~$10/month and if you complete it you get enough premium currency to buy next month's pass. However, progression on the pass is also limited by missions that unlock daily. There is the option to spend extra to progress the pass faster than the time gated missions allow. It is not clear how far into the rewards you can unlock with just the initial buy-in.

3. There are going to periodically be limited time "nexus events" with new cards as a possible reward. They haven't run any of these yet, so the details are sketchy. It sounds like you can only participate in the event by either spending real money or unlocking participation tokens from the monthly pass. There is some random chance involved in whether you get the new card from the event or not, so it is not clear whether you can expect to get the card with only the entries you get from the season pass.

So in each case, it's possible that the system could be balanced fairly or it could be used to tighten the screws and encourage you to spend some uncapped amount of real money. If it turns out that a heavy player that only spends on the monthly pass can basically keep up with new releases, that seems fair to me.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Go RV! posted:

There's no rhyme or reason to which character gets boosters as far as I can tell.

There is an increased chance for your common (grey) and uncommon (green) cards to get the boosters at the end of the game. So if you have a card/variant that you really like and want to split it for cosmetic reasons, you can keep it at uncommon until you have enough boosters to upgrade it the rest of the way.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Is every season pass only going to be 3 weeks long? They more than earned $10 so I was fine with throwing in for the first one, but I'm not paying $170 every year.

It should be 12 seasons per year. This one is actually 5 weeks long, but started before release while the game was still in beta.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Because of how this works Chavez can pair well with Jubilee since by the time you can play Jubilee there’s a high chance Chavez is floating as the top card on your deck, giving you a pretty consistent Jubilee -> Chavez combo.

This used to be true, but Jubilee was changed to play a random card from your deck rather than the top card.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

I've been playing since the start of beta and just finished my collection today at level 2,650 after pretty much exactly 5 months. Never bought gold or spent the gold that I did get on progression, though I did buy 4 of the 5 season passes. I took a few weeks off and didn't really go out of my way to optimize so I'm sure other people will get there faster.

Overall, I've been happy with the card acquisition model and still love playing. Late pool 2 and early pool 3 can be frustrating until you get a coherent deck together, but I think it is worth pushing through if you enjoy the game.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Zikan posted:

What’s the current max amount of credits? I’m at 4775 credits at CL 598 right now and I want to hit it before I make the CL 600 jump so I can minimize the wall of playing against full meta decks while my Pool 3 collection isn’t complete.

The new cap is 10,000 credits.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, question, can bots snap? Cause this really looks like a bot. I guess maybe it could be a human, and he just didn't read the locations.

Yes, bots snap. From the screenshot, that looks like a bot. They have gold foil and black/white cards with no other effects. For a real player to get those backgrounds, they need to split the card multiple times which would guarantee some other effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just noticed the data-mined "Wolverine looking longingly at the photo of Jean" variant that's become a meme in the past several years has the wrong costume.

It should be his yellow and blue one, not his brown and orange one.

It seems to be a repurposing of this variant cover referencing the meme.

No idea why they added that sheet draped over his chest. Maybe covering up something that went wrong when they split the card into layers for the 3d effect.