Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Official Announcement and First Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnAN1-cP6w

Gameplay Walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMEEHH1E8ko

What Is It?

Marvel SNAP is the new[1] card game from Second Dinner (home of Ben Brode of Hearthstone fame). A streamlined card battler game, SNAP aims to be to Hearthstone what Hearthstone was to Magic in terms of creating both a more fast-paced and more 'exciting' random gameplay experience. Over six rounds (or four! or seven!), play cards from your 12 card deck (no duplicates!). Cards like Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Cosmo the Spacedog. Players vie for control over 2 of 3 locations with powerful effects, locations like the Baxter Building, the TVA, or Wakanda. Turns are simultaneous, meaning you and your opponent make your plays at the same time, which are then resolved in priority order once you both end your turn; initial priority is coin flip, after the first turn priority goes to the currently winning player, and the player with priority will have a glow around their avatar. At the end of 6 rounds, whoever has the highest Power at 2 of the 3 locations wins!

Games take about a minute or two, and with the SNAP mechanic and the high location variance, games feel very fast. The base cards are all gorgeous, and every card has a half dozen variants available to purchase (or buy with the freemium currency) if you have a specific art-style.

It looks like this:

Every couple days, a given Location will be highlighted, having an increased chance of showing up. This unstable meta of Locations causes shifts in the playable Deck meta.

Building decks is lightning fast, allowing for fast "teching" of cards in response to shifts in the decks you're frequently encountering.

How Freemium Is It?

Game is free to play on iOS, Android, and Steam.

Players accumulate four currencies - Credits, Gold, Tokens, and character-specific boosters.
[list][*]Advancing a card's cosmetics cost Credits and their Boosters. Advancing card's cosmetics (adding a frame break, making the logo shiny, etc.) is the way you advance your collection. You gain Boosters primarily by playing a given card in your deck, though you can also gain them by advancing your collection.
[*]You gain Credits by completing daily quests and advancing your collection.
[*]Gold is the freemium currency - you mostly gain it by spending money, and Gold can buy new alternate art versions of cards, or more Boosters or Credits.
[*]Tokens are the other other freemium currency. They are used to buy cards in the shop. Every eight hours, you are offered one new card: a Series 3/4/5 card you don't have for 1000/3000/5000 tokens (with Series 3 far more common than 4 which is far more common than 5), or a variant of a card you have for a few thousand tokens. If you like the card on offer but you can't afford it, you can pin it - it won't rotate unless you open the shop on another device.

Card upgrades are purely cosmetic, with the upgrade from basic to uncommon 'breaking' the card art outside of the frame, the upgrade from uncommon to rare popping the art into 3D, rare to epic adding subtle animations, etc. Eventually once you max a card out it'll split into a foil version of the same card which can follow the same upgrade path until you split the foil, at which point it gains another feature on top of that like little particle effects, and so on.

Cards are unlocked in Series at random: each player unlocks all Series 1 cards in a random order before they unlock any Series 2 cards, and all Series 2 cards in a random order before they unlock any Series 3 cards. Series 1 (CL 18-214), Series 2 (CL 222-474), and Series 3 (486+). Series contain the same cards for every player, but the order in which you get them is randomly determined, so while two Collection Level 50 players will have different cards, once those players hit Collection Level 214 they'll both have the same collections. Same goes for Series 2 and 3, they contain the same cards for everyone, but you won't get them in the same order. As you've also probably noted, the spread of levels between new cards increases as you get higher, though it eventually plateaus in Series 3 along with some increased randomness.

Series 4 and 5 were just released. They're encountered in collection caches intermixed with Series 3 but at a lower rarity. Series 4 and Series 5.

Matchmaking matches against collection level, not Cubes, so if you’re in Series 1 you’ll generally only match other Series 1 players, etc. The matchmaking is filled with bots and is honestly a bit of a mystery.

Buying Credits with Gold is a waste of money, the maximum Credits you can purchase in a day is capped so you can't whale too hard and as you've seen with the Collection Level reward tracks above you actually get less for your dollar spent as you go higher, spending money on Gold to buy Credits is for the dumbest of whales only. Gold you get from the season pass is best spent rolling new extra daily missions as completing those also feeds back into more season pass experience. Update: Gold may possibly be more efficiently spent on bundles because they give Tokens, but the pricing for Gold-bundles isn't stable, and the ratios keep changing. The safer efficient option is buying more dailies, but there have been Gold-bundles more efficient than that.

Season pass is the big one people actually spend money on as right now it's the only way to get the new card they add each month, buying the pass gets you the new card immediately, then a bunch of typical season pass stuff as you level. If you don't buy the premium season pass you can't get that new card that month, nor can you get it the following month, it's only two months after it initially lands that it goes into the Series (currently, Series 3) for people to randomly pull when leveling Collection Level.

Why is it called SNAP?
Snapping, as the name suggests, is the game's most unique gameplay hook. As you play SNAP you gain and lose cubes, from which your rank is derived, and a part of learning the game is learning when to retreat from a match and cut your losses. At the outset of each match both you and your opponent buy in with one cube, winner takes all. The stakes double in the final round If you or your opponent "snap" at any time during a match it will double the stakes come the following turn (or at the game's conclusion if on the final turn). As the stakes increase, players can choose to retreat and only lose the stakes wagered so far; one player snapping brings the final match stakes to four cubes, both players snapping brings it to eight. You can bottom out at ten cubes but given how the low level bots basically let you win I doubt anyone has without trying.

Resources for cards and decks
https://marvelsnapzone.com/
https://snap.fan/

Tips for Beginners[li][*]When you get to Collection Level 590, max out your credit stack before upgrading to CL600+. At CL600 you're matched against people with Series 3 collections, and being able to unlock as many Series 3 cards as possible the moment that happens will make things easier.

[1] For future reference, "new" in that the beta came out in April 2022, and the game launched in October 2022.

Thanks to Wheeee for helping write this up.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nate405 posted:

Anybody else in the closed beta? I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm worried about where the economy/progression systems are headed.

How so?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am loving this game, but coming from Runeterra the grind is pretty aggravating.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Ended up giving up on Snap. It's fun, but there are too many other good games out there to deal with the hot garbage grind.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Originally I felt bad I forgot to change the flair from poo poo POST, but it feels appropriate now.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

chaosbreather posted:

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves. There really isn’t anything else friendo. You’re just making yourself unhappy with your own expectations. Contentment doesn’t unlock with your ELO, it’s just a meaningless stat.

There is nothing in life that unlocks when you win enough games, just an endless number of people who are better than you and worse than you. If a match is evenly ranked you should have a 50% chance anyway so if you want to get efficient winz just flip a coin instead of playing a whole rear end game and spend money on it.

Besides, I win pretty much every game all the time because there’s only bots around to play me and I’m having a great time, very good feeling. No Ka-zar yet, not looking at deck lists, just enjoying solving the puzzle by myself without cheating instead of implementing some nerd’s spreadsheet and playing some tired metagame. It’s honestly the chillest I’ve been playing a phone game forever.
I love that the person who has only played enough games to be against bots is trying to explain the chill game to the rest of us.

And your false equivalence of wanting cards and netdecking is some combination of ignorant and stupid; I don't know you well enough to guess at the ratio. Creating cool combos isn't some genius level idea. I was crazy excited to find when cards dropped on marvelsnap.io, because I started building decks. "Oooh, these two would be fun together." (Hey, it's your operative word!) Oh wait, I can't get half that fun pairing because the monetization is hot garbage.

quote:

The highest aspiration of any player of games is to enjoy themselves.
Thanks, Socrates. But for the genre of card games (as opposed to gacha games), a large chunk of the "fun" is in building cool decks, and being limited to my lovely card pool with no way to expand it without sucking Ben Brode's dick for two months is worse than when I was in middle school and the Shivan Dragon was the coolest thing I couldn't afford.

I'm happy you're enjoying your poop time masturbating with bots, but some of us had actually hoped to engage with the game, and have found it's not worth it because it sucks.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

chaosbreather posted:

Exactly. You went into the game expecting a completely different type of game, even though Brode was clear and explicit from the start that he wanted to replicate that middle school experience that you say you hated. So it’s weird you did that.

As an update, I’m now playing with humans pretty much all the time and having a great one, got Ka Zar, unlocking a bunch of cards, introduced it to a bunch of mates (by explaining to them that it shouldn’t be approached like a ccg like you did). Still not looking up cards that I might never unlock, just enjoying discovering cards as I encounter them. Unlocking them at a pretty good clip too.

If you want to play the game, just enjoy the mystery and stop spoilering yourself, I have no idea why you want to torture yourself and I have double no idea why you’d want to try and convince me that I’m not having “properly real” fun when I am. What are you trying to accomplish and why?

You should really re-read your post and understand how much of a gross hate filled joyless beancounter you come off as, and really interrogate why you choose to represent yourself like that because it isn’t a good look.

Given the choice between however I look, and looking like someone who's trying to defend a predatory gacha game as "it's fun because it's lol random", I'll take my look every day.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

chaosbreather posted:

Nah, it’s fun because, according to its most public detractors, it has a great core game design, it’s extremely fast so it’s quick to learn from mistakes, and it has an immaculate presentation. That’s why you’re angry enough to get toxic and gatekeepery about it, because you know that as well.

You guys only don’t like it because you’re trying and expecting to “stay competitive” in a game that says on the box it’s like playing ccgs back in school where you can’t just buy a deck. It’s explicitly not a competitive game, it’s an fast, interesting strategy and tactical challenge that is fair because it’s always with someone matched to your win rate, and part of why it’s interesting is because both sides are fighting with what they got, which could be wildly different, instead of meta garbage.

Trying to become king of Snap is trying to become the most popular kid in high school as a 35 year old laywer - yes it’s going to take a laughably huge amount of money because it’s a laughably stupid goal.

From a marketing perspective, It would be better if the monetisation in snap was purely cosmetic, just avatars and card backs, because it would prevent this category error you have made. As a whole I wouldn’t recommend spending any money at all on the game. It won’t make it the completely different, expensive and much worse game you are pining for.

I hope this has helped you try and approach the game on its own terms. You’re clearly in no small amount of pain, which is why I have tried to share with you my approach. Your emotions and feelings are valid and your confusion is justified, but I really think with a very slight shift in perspective you could be playing a pretty cool free game you were excited about instead of making yourself miserable and trying to drag other people into your misery.

Wow. I’m not going to feed the troll any more. Ignored.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Go RV! posted:

Also can we get a new thread tag and title since the game is out now?
I'm not opposed, but has anything changed? It's still Smash Up + Ben Brode + Marvel + Your Phone, yeah?

But sure, report it and ask. It's just gotta be clever.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jedit posted:

It's now on Steam as well. :v:

Marvel Snap is a pooping game. If I'm on Steam, I'm playing almost anything else. But sure.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Wheeee posted:

this seems to have been deleted

lmao

Yeah, when I read that my immediate reaction was "Steven is not aware of the nascent plans for further monetization."

Game's a lot better on the phone than on the computer. My desire to play more than 5 games at a time is almost zero, but grabbing a game while the coffee is brewing instead of checking a dying forum reddit is nice.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Can we get something in the OP about how this whole card level up upgrade thing works? I had six green orbs and accidentally upgraded Thing and now I only have one and that leveled me up but now I need more.

If somebody writes up some advice, I’ll post it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Victor Vermis posted:

Here's my day two tier list:

FUN (S Tier):
Vatu (Peak at locations before they are revealed)
Nightcrawler (Move)

NOT FUN (S Tier but the S is for poo poo):
Rocket played opposite Vatu on the far left location turn 1 when Vatu reveals the other locations are going to mulch anything you play there.

https://www.marvel.com/characters/uatu-the-watcher

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It will be very interesting to see how metas evolve with this game. They clearly can't release cards at the cadence of other games, so I wonder how much meta shake-up will be new locations versus buffs and nerfs.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fenris13 posted:

Can anyone clarify what happens when one area ends in a tie? I thought the game looked at the winning power level of the other two areas and the highest was the winner, but I have lost two matches now where I had more power in my winning area than my opponent, and am starting to question my understanding of the tiebreaker system. Also, what is used for matchmaking, is it your rank or collection rank?

As for the former, it’s total. So less about total power and more about net difference.

If you have 10|12|1 and they have 10|11|5, you lose. 12 is more than 5, but you only won by one, they won by four.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah. The RNG of the locations will probably annoy me once I have top tier netdecked builds trying to climb to infinite, but it also means janky gimmick decks that can win sometimes will have more staying power and thus shenanigans will keep me playing for longer.

I suspect with Marvel Snap I’m going to care less and play more than other cars games.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Space Friend posted:

I've been hooked on this game since it launched last week and, after a while puttering around 50, burst up to 70 in the last two days with this pile at CL273:
(1) Ant Man
(1) Squirrel Girl
(1) Iceman
(1) Nightcrawler
(1) Rocket Raccoon
(1) Uatu the Watcher
(2) Angela
(2) Mister Sinister
(3) Wolfsbane
(4) Ka-Zar
(4) White Queen
(5) Blue Marvel

It plays really consistently, although idk if blue marvel is exactly worth running. Having such a low curve opens up so much combo opportunity and can really wreck a snappy opponent. White queen is indispensable - board presence, an extra wincon in your hand, and solid Intel on whether or not you should escape or not. Card feels almost too good.

With the exception of Iceman, those are all Pool 1. This deck seems rather fun.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I know I should spend my gold on daily refreshes. Is there a difference in whether I do it now or later?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Duck and Cover posted:

We now have multiple competing threads in the main video games forum.

Send them all to this thread. I think mine was most firstest, so most bestest.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Wheeee posted:

Game deserves a thread in the main games forum tho

And deserved one with a real op.

I'll happily edit with an OP. I don't feel particularly qualified to write one - as I've noted upthread, if someone puts the effort in, I'll toss it in. I can try effort-posting tonight, but maybe only getting things half-right?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Effort added to OP. Please critique.

Duck and Cover posted:

You're the one who made another thread when there was one already while claiming that yours is "real". Dumb low effort poo poo poster? gently caress off rear end in a top hat.

That's a delightful snipe.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
As OP, I vote quorum.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Nothing like a 2 billion point lead in a Location.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tezzeract posted:

I hobgoblin'd on kamar taj. Good times :D

Does it come back to you?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fate Accomplice posted:

I’m in pool 1 and have carnage, I think he’s in the event free tier

Yeah, there are non-pool 1 variants in the paid Seasons, so if you buy the Season Pass you might get a variant and then later you'll get the base version. Prepare to be disappointed when you advance eight Collection Levels and unlock... Carnage.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

CapnAndy posted:

It helps tremendously to translate the costs from gold to real money. They want either $9 or $12 per variant. You really wanna drop :10bux: on a jpg?
It's obviously an animated gif.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jedit posted:

I assume you know that gold can be converted to credits and missions for faster leveling? You can get up to 1950 credits a day this way.
Please explain how.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Serperoth posted:

Gold can be used to refresh missions, which give you credits

I understand that, it’s the 1950 I’m having trouble with. By my math that’s 1,520 gold a day.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Sean posted:

I am not sure if I will commit but I would like to know ahead of time. If I take time to write more content for the OP of the thread will you add it?

At this point I think it's shaping up nicely, but I'm open to adding more / feedback. Just added some feedback from Wheeee.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

No Wave posted:

Just prepare yourself, I expect that crafting is going to be really, really ungenerous.

Yeah, Brode and team seem to be aiming to recreate this mythological time where everybody was playing Magic as either a broke middle schooler or in a town without a Magic card shop.

I, too, played a game as a broke middle schooler and had fun, but I'm 40 now and I have more money than time.

I suspect that a lack of crafting is a secret hand on the balance wheel. If anybody can make any card tomorrow, the meta gets solved really quickly (see, e.g., every digital card game). But if everybody has a different subset of the card pool, then it takes a lot longer to solve the meta. I may think that Goose is key to a meta-defining deck, but if I have to grind for five weeks to get Goose, who knows?!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So how do you cheat out Vision? “Once each turn” starting on turn five doesn’t feel like much.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If you're not playing an All-Pixel deck are you even whaling?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Duck and Cover posted:

Making legendary
What the gently caress is legendary?

Edit: Cabling the combo piece in a mirror match is incredibly satisfying.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 1, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Duck and Cover posted:

*shrugs* who knows? I believe you're smart enough to take a guess and get it right.

I'm not sure how using Killmonger upgrades a card to Legendary, but whatever system is working for you sounds great.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

BGrifter posted:

Yeah it feels like the high 50s and 60s are a real quagmire. I’m still making some progress but it’s a lot of retreating 3-4 times followed by one 4-8 cube win. I’m not sure I’m having fun anymore.

Perennial question for all games with "acquisition" and ranks: Is the game fun, or is the acquisition fun.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Drinkslinger posted:

I might have missed it, but how do I find out which pool each card is in?

Check op for pools. Not listed in game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Zokari posted:

I'm stuck in the mid-30s and this really isn't fun anymore. I'm bad but it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything by playing at this point.

I’m stuck in the low 40s for over a week, but I’m not sure why I would want to be accomplishing something.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The most common answer is you have Spider-Woman in your hand and they played Morph.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

obi_ant posted:

I didn't realize the game was locked to 30fps on mobile and there was an option for 60fps. The game looks *so* much better at 60.

Holy poo poo, I’m not normally an FPS person but the difference is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thanks for catching. Will fix tonight.