Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Problem description: I have a Haswell-era Dell XPS 15 that turned 8 years old this year. It's on its third battery and second SSD but otherwise works fine. I most recently replaced the battery sometime last spring. Today I noticed that both Windows and the built-in self-test will show the battery discharging when the laptop is unplugged, but immediately shoot to 100% when I plug it in. When opened, the battery shows noticeable but still reasonable swelling (it doesn't impact the trackpad like the first time I had to swap). The test suite says the battery and charger are both working fine.

Attempted fixes: I pulled the charger barrel plug, took the cover off, unplugged the battery, pressed the power button for 20sec, then reassembled it and booted into the self-test suite. Online resources mention deleting and reinstalling the battery driver, but since this isn't isolated to Windows I'm concerned the charging circuitry is hosed. Batteries for this model are obviously scarce given its age, and I'm unsure if a replacement will solve this problem.

Dell themselves no longer sell the battery. #2 came from Parts People, #3 came from eBay and was the only one available from North America.

I can get a refurbished power jack, but I feel like the problem is further down...
https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=17698

Recent changes: None; I use the laptop less frequently now that I don't travel as much.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 latest, but this continues in the Dell firmware tests.

System specs: Dell XPS 15 9530

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It turns out the BIOS has an "Adaptive" charging mode, and when I switch it to Custom the start and stop points are 50% and 90%. The battery still says it's at 100% in diagnostic firmware with the charger plugged in, so I might not be out of the woods yet. What's weird is that the laptop never behaved like this in the past.

e: Alright, so on Standard mode I went into the diagnostic firmware and ran all the tests, then pulled the charger from the jack while the memory test was running. Lo and behold I shot down to 6% battery and it started charging properly when I plugged it in. Assuming this works without starting a fire, I can at least pay off my new desktop / make it to July when the Framework 12th gen Intel models are ready.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 21, 2022