Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thought it would be nice to have a thread for long posts nobody reads about how your team got on now that the season's over (barring some mickey mouse cup final this weekend never heard of it tbh). I like to read season reviews for teams I don't always watch and it's been cathartic getting my thoughts down so have at it

Leeds - 17th, W9 D11 L18 GD -37 (lol)

Christ. Second season syndrome is real and it's horrible. Right from the first game of the season the squad looked thin and then multiple injuries to key players made it worse. Think Leeds broke the record for u21 players used and most PL debuts in a single season. At different points they had Phillips, Bamford, Cooper, Raphinha, Koch etc unavailable, and just felt like all the results that could have gone either way but went their way last season went the other way this time. With a full squad of starters I feel like at least a few of those points dropped could have been wins.

Wasn't at all sure about the decision to sack Bielsa but after signing no one in January when they clearly needed to just get anyone in to avoid plugging the gaps in the defence with children it was kind of unavoidable unfortunately. Still a hero and for all the stuff written about him both positive and negative I only know that he made me personally enjoy watching Leeds again after years of drifting about with no identity.

Jury's still out on Marsch but of the 38 points Leeds got this season, 12 of them are with him in charge - he's done what he was brought in to do and has done enough to get a chance at next season.

player of the season
Got to be Raphinha. Despite having ample opportunity to do half a job this season knowing he'll be off in the summer either way he never stopped putting a shift in. Bodes well for whoever ends up signing him. Meslier was pretty much the only player to stay healthy for the full season - started every game, rarely at fault for the goals he conceded and still the clear number one even aged 22. Stuart Dallas is god, looking forward to him coming back and being indispensable again

flop of the season
Unfair to label a singular flop given the injury crisis etc but Junior Firpo has disappointed all season. Don't think he's good enough. I like Tyler Roberts and he tries hard but couldn't fill in for Bamford and was uninspiring coming off the bench

game of the season
Winning at West ham in Jan was a big one, and other than the final game probably the only time Leeds got a result where they weren't reasonably expected to get something

worst game
The spurs game that killed bielsa off was horrible. Players didn't know what to do and bielsa was exposed, didn't have a plan b when it was clear they'd been found out

goal of the season
Ayling first game of the season. Don't look into the final score etc

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1426524046632660992?s=20&t=eCtTa3rF6rNfsSem8Dfklw

what next?
Signings signings signings. That brings its own risks but they need at least some suitable backups. Aaronson looks to be a good signing they've been after for a while, will probably need replacements for Phillips and Raphinha at the very least.

Marsch has made Leeds harder to break down but the fluidity went with it and performances have been tough to watch. He's made noises that the way they've been playing was just to get them over the line and now he can start putting together a squad that plays the way he likes. Can't really moan cos it's worked but feel like if they carry on for a full season playing the way they've ended the season he might struggle.

season rating cos we're TFF now: 4/10. Without injuries would have been alright probably but must do better next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Seems like a fun idea.

Middlesbrough - 7th, W20 D10 L16 GD 9 (lol)

A very bittersweet season for Boro. For long periods we looked like we'd make the playoffs and for other periods we looked like we were destined for mid table obscurity. I can't complain too much since we're still recovering from the Woodgate disaster but the signs are good for the future. Warnock was a class manager when we looked like a league 1 team in all but name but it was pretty clear early into the season he wasn't gona be able to put together a promotion push this time. Wilder's tactics and attitude are pretty exciting even with the stories of him jumping to Burnley for whatever reason.

It may sound like cope but I genuinely think if we had 1 good striker and 1 good goalkeeper we'd probably have come 4th or something mental,

player of the season
The gazette and the club gave it to Dael Fry and Jonny Howson respectively but I think it has to be Matt Crooks, even despite getting 15 yellow cards, 10 goals and 2 assists and many more pre assists really sums up the way we've played since Wilder came in, high energy, aggressive and exciting. Plus his hair is fine.

flop of the season
Last season our worst player was our goalkeeper and this season we managed to get a worse one in Joe Lumley

https://twitter.com/callumj67__/status/1525138075210358786

game of the season
Dominating Spurs at the Riverside was fantastic, Coburn's goal will live long in the memory

worst game
Last game of the season, slim chance of making the playoffs and we get tortured by mid table preston, the entire game made me feel sick.

goal of the season
Duncan watmore's filthy chip vs Huddersfield deserves a mention

what next?

Need to sign a goalkeeper and like three? strikers, maybe some defensive cover and ideally we'd push for automatics, this all depends on us not selling off anyone of value and returning to being shite but I don't expect Gibson or Wilder to be willing to do that.

season rating cos we're TFF now:

6/10 mostly fun, could've been better.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I've been waiting to vent in a thread like this for three months.

Wolves - 10th, W15 D6 L17 GF 38 (lol) GA 43 GD -5

Ultimately this season was a roller coaster that finished in an open sewer.

As I said in the summer break thread, if you had told me on August 31st that they'd end up in 10th, I'd have been perfectly happy with that. However, if you told me on February 1st that they'd end up in 10th I'd have been very disappointed since that means they poo poo the bed to finish the season, which they did so I am.

After three straight 0-1 defeats, I was beginning to wish I had just picked Liverpool or something like a normal plastic. After a fall and winter where they chased Arsenal up the table, ending up just outside of European contention, I was thrilled for what had been and what could be. After a spring where they couldn't get a point when it mattered, and played almost as good in a draw with Norwich as they did in a draw with Chelsea, my only feeling is :butt:

Their defense started good and stayed good, giving up barely more than one goal a game.

Unfortunately their offense started bad and stayed bad, scoring exactly one goal a game. Only the three relegated teams scored less.

Also, I still miss Adama even if all of his thrilling take-ons amounted to gently caress all.

player of the season
When Patrício left, there were definitely major questions at keeper, and José Sá answered them all. Maybe he could have stopped a penalty at some point in the season, but when your team is 5th in goals against, you can't really complain about the keeper.

Honorable mention to Max Kilman who was a definite diamond in the rough, even if he did drop off at the end. Slava Ukraini.

flop of the season
For such a disappointing season, I don't know that I would label anyone a flop. It was mostly just a lot of no one performing great for long stretches while important players worked their way back from previous seasons' major injuries.

game of the season
The comeback at Villa Park in October is the one that sticks in my mind. By this time in the season, Wolves had at least started scoring a little, but they hadn't even come back against a one goal deficit, let alone two. And then they did, in thrilling fashion.

worst game
Keeping with the comeback theme, the game against Leeds in March was an instant classic for most viewers, but a big pile of poo poo for Wolves. They were absolutely cruising, up 2 - 0 at halftime, and then they absolutely skidded off the road into a ditch. The lowlight for me was Jiménez picking up a yellow for hurting himself while running someone over in the first half, and then completing the set by hurting himself while running the keeper over in the second. A real dark mirror version of the comeback I posted above.

goal of the season
For a team that didn't score, there were actually a few candidates for best goal. Coady's first ever PL goal at Molineux was pretty great. Neves had a few beauties. The best one, though, has to be Raúl's first of the season. The head injury was devastating, and the first goal back was sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOboOBVsbLk

what next?
Beats me. My guess is management will want to mostly stand pat and see if the pieces they have can maybe put it all together for a larger fraction of the season and with more players doing good things at the same time instead of one player scoring a bunch and then falling off while the next one picks it up a few games later. And as much as I don't like this season's results, I don't even know that this would be the wrong approach. Neto seemed to be getting his groove back. Chiquinho had a few flashes in the ante-penultimate game. Hwang had some nice play, especially getting the team going at the beginning of the season. Kilman was a great find through most of the season. Moutinho and Neves are as solid a midfield as you can get outside of one of the huge clubs. Raúl is sure to get it together at some point. Maybe if everything comes together next year, they'll finish 9th.

season rating cos we're TFF now: 6/10. Better than I was expecting this time last year, and better than I was seeing in August, but the ending really stank.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Southampton - 15th, W9, D13, L16, GD-24

Another season which petered out in a disappointing fashion. For the last few seasons we've had a run of good form which sees us shoot up the table only to go on a horrible losing streak to slide back down and only be saved by our early season form. We never quite looked like getting dragged into a relegation fight as other teams ended up having horrible seasons but everything from March onward was total poo poo.

I'm a big Ralph fan, especially after the thankfully short lived Mark Hughes tenure but I'm starting to side with the Ralph out camp. We do have new owners but no one is expecting to spend much more on players than we usually do and I don't think Ralph can improve our performance with the players we have.

player of the season
James Ward-Prowse. His free kicks were the highlight of the season and probably the only reason why anyone who isn't a Southampton supporter ever thinks about Southampton. Shout outs to Livramento and Kyle Walker Peters for also having good seasons, too bad we had to convert Walker Peters to left back to fit both in the team.

flop of the season
Adam Armstong. Maybe he just had a tough first season like Che Adams did before finding his feet at this level but he just looked ineffective every time he played. After losing Ings last summer needed someone to score goals so thank Christ we got Broja in as well and he had a purple patch.

game of the season
Tottenham Hotspur 2-3 Southampton. This one was fun, the fact that our second and third goal were practically identical added to the comedy

worst game
No 9-0 this season, although the fact I had forgotten we lost six nil to Chelsea in April shows have many low points we had during the season. Of the relegated teams Norwich and Watford took three points from us while Burnley took four.

goal of the season
This Ward-Prowse free kick against Wolves

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1482691856295030786

what next
We've been circling the drain for several seasons now and there will come a time when there are not three worse teams than us. I do like Ralph and I want him to turn it around but it hasn't happened yet. We need major recruitment in several positions and do not have the funds to do so which means we're not going to get the upgrades on McCarthy and Bednarek we need or the replacement for Romeu now that his legs are starting to go/have gone. We will need to replace Broja though and at the very least buying strikers is always exciting.

season rating cos we're TFF now: 4
Never quite in a relegation battle but on the very edge of it. I'm pessimistic now but come August I'll be full of confidence after we've bought someone from the Swiss or Belgian league I've never heard of but who is totally going to be the next Mane.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Will be interesting to see if any of the top 6 have a rough start next season and the Ralph chat starts up again. Feel like he'd be immediately out of his depth if there were proper expectations since as long as he keeps Southampton above say 16th and keeps the 9-0s to a minimum he'll keep chugging along