Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I've been waiting to vent in a thread like this for three months.

Wolves - 10th, W15 D6 L17 GF 38 (lol) GA 43 GD -5

Ultimately this season was a roller coaster that finished in an open sewer.

As I said in the summer break thread, if you had told me on August 31st that they'd end up in 10th, I'd have been perfectly happy with that. However, if you told me on February 1st that they'd end up in 10th I'd have been very disappointed since that means they poo poo the bed to finish the season, which they did so I am.

After three straight 0-1 defeats, I was beginning to wish I had just picked Liverpool or something like a normal plastic. After a fall and winter where they chased Arsenal up the table, ending up just outside of European contention, I was thrilled for what had been and what could be. After a spring where they couldn't get a point when it mattered, and played almost as good in a draw with Norwich as they did in a draw with Chelsea, my only feeling is :butt:

Their defense started good and stayed good, giving up barely more than one goal a game.

Unfortunately their offense started bad and stayed bad, scoring exactly one goal a game. Only the three relegated teams scored less.

Also, I still miss Adama even if all of his thrilling take-ons amounted to gently caress all.

player of the season
When Patrício left, there were definitely major questions at keeper, and José Sá answered them all. Maybe he could have stopped a penalty at some point in the season, but when your team is 5th in goals against, you can't really complain about the keeper.

Honorable mention to Max Kilman who was a definite diamond in the rough, even if he did drop off at the end. Slava Ukraini.

flop of the season
For such a disappointing season, I don't know that I would label anyone a flop. It was mostly just a lot of no one performing great for long stretches while important players worked their way back from previous seasons' major injuries.

game of the season
The comeback at Villa Park in October is the one that sticks in my mind. By this time in the season, Wolves had at least started scoring a little, but they hadn't even come back against a one goal deficit, let alone two. And then they did, in thrilling fashion.

worst game
Keeping with the comeback theme, the game against Leeds in March was an instant classic for most viewers, but a big pile of poo poo for Wolves. They were absolutely cruising, up 2 - 0 at halftime, and then they absolutely skidded off the road into a ditch. The lowlight for me was Jiménez picking up a yellow for hurting himself while running someone over in the first half, and then completing the set by hurting himself while running the keeper over in the second. A real dark mirror version of the comeback I posted above.

goal of the season
For a team that didn't score, there were actually a few candidates for best goal. Coady's first ever PL goal at Molineux was pretty great. Neves had a few beauties. The best one, though, has to be Raúl's first of the season. The head injury was devastating, and the first goal back was sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOboOBVsbLk

what next?
Beats me. My guess is management will want to mostly stand pat and see if the pieces they have can maybe put it all together for a larger fraction of the season and with more players doing good things at the same time instead of one player scoring a bunch and then falling off while the next one picks it up a few games later. And as much as I don't like this season's results, I don't even know that this would be the wrong approach. Neto seemed to be getting his groove back. Chiquinho had a few flashes in the ante-penultimate game. Hwang had some nice play, especially getting the team going at the beginning of the season. Kilman was a great find through most of the season. Moutinho and Neves are as solid a midfield as you can get outside of one of the huge clubs. Raúl is sure to get it together at some point. Maybe if everything comes together next year, they'll finish 9th.

season rating cos we're TFF now: 6/10. Better than I was expecting this time last year, and better than I was seeing in August, but the ending really stank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU