Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Southampton - 15th, W9, D13, L16, GD-24

Another season which petered out in a disappointing fashion. For the last few seasons we've had a run of good form which sees us shoot up the table only to go on a horrible losing streak to slide back down and only be saved by our early season form. We never quite looked like getting dragged into a relegation fight as other teams ended up having horrible seasons but everything from March onward was total poo poo.

I'm a big Ralph fan, especially after the thankfully short lived Mark Hughes tenure but I'm starting to side with the Ralph out camp. We do have new owners but no one is expecting to spend much more on players than we usually do and I don't think Ralph can improve our performance with the players we have.

player of the season
James Ward-Prowse. His free kicks were the highlight of the season and probably the only reason why anyone who isn't a Southampton supporter ever thinks about Southampton. Shout outs to Livramento and Kyle Walker Peters for also having good seasons, too bad we had to convert Walker Peters to left back to fit both in the team.

flop of the season
Adam Armstong. Maybe he just had a tough first season like Che Adams did before finding his feet at this level but he just looked ineffective every time he played. After losing Ings last summer needed someone to score goals so thank Christ we got Broja in as well and he had a purple patch.

game of the season
Tottenham Hotspur 2-3 Southampton. This one was fun, the fact that our second and third goal were practically identical added to the comedy

worst game
No 9-0 this season, although the fact I had forgotten we lost six nil to Chelsea in April shows have many low points we had during the season. Of the relegated teams Norwich and Watford took three points from us while Burnley took four.

goal of the season
This Ward-Prowse free kick against Wolves

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1482691856295030786

what next
We've been circling the drain for several seasons now and there will come a time when there are not three worse teams than us. I do like Ralph and I want him to turn it around but it hasn't happened yet. We need major recruitment in several positions and do not have the funds to do so which means we're not going to get the upgrades on McCarthy and Bednarek we need or the replacement for Romeu now that his legs are starting to go/have gone. We will need to replace Broja though and at the very least buying strikers is always exciting.

season rating cos we're TFF now: 4
Never quite in a relegation battle but on the very edge of it. I'm pessimistic now but come August I'll be full of confidence after we've bought someone from the Swiss or Belgian league I've never heard of but who is totally going to be the next Mane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU