Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thought it would be nice to have a thread for long posts nobody reads about how your team got on now that the season's over (barring some mickey mouse cup final this weekend never heard of it tbh). I like to read season reviews for teams I don't always watch and it's been cathartic getting my thoughts down so have at it

Leeds - 17th, W9 D11 L18 GD -37 (lol)

Christ. Second season syndrome is real and it's horrible. Right from the first game of the season the squad looked thin and then multiple injuries to key players made it worse. Think Leeds broke the record for u21 players used and most PL debuts in a single season. At different points they had Phillips, Bamford, Cooper, Raphinha, Koch etc unavailable, and just felt like all the results that could have gone either way but went their way last season went the other way this time. With a full squad of starters I feel like at least a few of those points dropped could have been wins.

Wasn't at all sure about the decision to sack Bielsa but after signing no one in January when they clearly needed to just get anyone in to avoid plugging the gaps in the defence with children it was kind of unavoidable unfortunately. Still a hero and for all the stuff written about him both positive and negative I only know that he made me personally enjoy watching Leeds again after years of drifting about with no identity.

Jury's still out on Marsch but of the 38 points Leeds got this season, 12 of them are with him in charge - he's done what he was brought in to do and has done enough to get a chance at next season.

player of the season
Got to be Raphinha. Despite having ample opportunity to do half a job this season knowing he'll be off in the summer either way he never stopped putting a shift in. Bodes well for whoever ends up signing him. Meslier was pretty much the only player to stay healthy for the full season - started every game, rarely at fault for the goals he conceded and still the clear number one even aged 22. Stuart Dallas is god, looking forward to him coming back and being indispensable again

flop of the season
Unfair to label a singular flop given the injury crisis etc but Junior Firpo has disappointed all season. Don't think he's good enough. I like Tyler Roberts and he tries hard but couldn't fill in for Bamford and was uninspiring coming off the bench

game of the season
Winning at West ham in Jan was a big one, and other than the final game probably the only time Leeds got a result where they weren't reasonably expected to get something

worst game
The spurs game that killed bielsa off was horrible. Players didn't know what to do and bielsa was exposed, didn't have a plan b when it was clear they'd been found out

goal of the season
Ayling first game of the season. Don't look into the final score etc

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1426524046632660992?s=20&t=eCtTa3rF6rNfsSem8Dfklw

what next?
Signings signings signings. That brings its own risks but they need at least some suitable backups. Aaronson looks to be a good signing they've been after for a while, will probably need replacements for Phillips and Raphinha at the very least.

Marsch has made Leeds harder to break down but the fluidity went with it and performances have been tough to watch. He's made noises that the way they've been playing was just to get them over the line and now he can start putting together a squad that plays the way he likes. Can't really moan cos it's worked but feel like if they carry on for a full season playing the way they've ended the season he might struggle.

season rating cos we're TFF now: 4/10. Without injuries would have been alright probably but must do better next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Will be interesting to see if any of the top 6 have a rough start next season and the Ralph chat starts up again. Feel like he'd be immediately out of his depth if there were proper expectations since as long as he keeps Southampton above say 16th and keeps the 9-0s to a minimum he'll keep chugging along