Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Edit 3: Solved.

This is how I did it: Found this site which offered three tools to recover partitions:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recover-lost-partition-windows/
Used the first "TestDisk" with little effect, tried out the second alternative "Active@ Partition Recovery" which found the data. Tried out the third alternative which also found the data, but not anymore after fiddling with the first option. Came close to pay for Active@ Partition Recovery but then gave it a last try with the first open source tool. Used the right format (GPT instead of MBR) and it worked. That was a wild ride.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Original posting:

I am trying to rescue data on somebody's harddisk. There are two hd's in this PC, a 256 GB SSD and a 3 TB HD, the latter holding the important data.

They installed Windows 10 and flattened the first 4 partitions of their SSD(?) all belonging to volume 0, according to the windows installer. The other volume was not touched. This worked and Windows is installed. The other disk would not show up in explorer.

I am looking at volume 1 here. Disk manager gives me the option to convert to dynamic disk or convert to MBR disk. The poor chap who is asking for help has already tried both, but has not formatted anything.

Is there any hope? The data's value is personal, if not financial. Thank you.

e: A forums upgrade for any helpful tips.

e2: Used EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and it found lots of files in a "lost partition". I still belive all I have to do is to somehow change attributes of that partition to make it readable again. Is it really lost? Thanks.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU