Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's actually extremely bad, because the old EU was extremely bad and stupid and we can no longer laugh that it is canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SOTE is now... what, maybe canon though? Dash and the Outrider are canon. the door is open. Leebo, Guri and... ugh... Xizor... could all come tumbling in.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SIGSEGV posted:

It's actually extremely bad, because the old EU was extremely bad and stupid and we can no longer laugh that it is canon.

Lies

It gave us Runt, multiple personality horse pilot.

Yub yub commander

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 30, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MA-Horus posted:

Lies

It gave us Runt, multiple personality horse pilot.

Yub yub commander

gently caress Zahn, Alston was the best EU writer.

(I say that with deepest love. Zahn's books are 2nd in my heart. I just wish Alston lived longer to also contribute to nucanon like Zahn did.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Scaramouche posted:

So I'm not a wookiepedia nerd but what's going on with the setting here. The Mother uses "powerful majick", but Cal also calls them Jedi? Unead are running around all willy nilly, it feels weird to square the circle here between the two.

This goes a little bit into "the Force is about how you use it" though not as much as some books/games have done and Canon is all over the place about how it feels about that idea. Cal calls them Jedi because they're Force-users and that's how he's used to processing such things, but the way they use it isn't like the formal Jedi nor is it Sith. I think at some point going through here he says "I've never seen the Force used this way".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lowercase jedi vs. Capital J Jedi

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Double edit: my knowledge is a curse. I just had to explain all of the courtship of princess leia to my wife

Did you sing threepio's song

"Han Solo, What a man-solo" lives rent-free in my head next to the line from the poem someone wrote for Fox Mulder that goes "David Duchovney, why won't you love me"

There are days I hate my brain

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Sally posted:

sorry Lazyfire, this is now a Shadows of the Empire thread and we're gonna talk about Han Solo 2.0, sex pest lizard man, comedianbot, and the Real Doll assassin.

And Cal is actually Cal Rendar, Dash Rendar's son via cloning.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

(Fun fact about Dathomir, in old Canon Han Solo won it in a card game and kidnapped Leia and took her there to Stockholm syndrome her into marrying him)
what

NGDBSS posted:

I imagine she was horrified at the remove-consent gun.
WHAT

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sally posted:

to clarify this is a real doll that is an assassin and not an assassin of real dolls.

So... you just hide a syringe full of fentanyl in the 'cavity'?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Courtship of Princess Leia, baybee!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I turn my back on this thread for one second and lore nerds start infesting the place like...mynocks? The weird bat things from the asteroid worm, I think that's them.

When I started recording the session this video came from I thought I was going to get through things at the end in short order and it ended up being longer than I remembered. Instead of making everyone sit down and watch that full thing I cut it in half at a pretty decent break point that I should have used in the first place. One thing I really like about the way this ends up flowing is that we get two chase sequences in a row, so it feels thematically unified. Without spoiling too much, I also enjoyed how they force you into running for your life twice is matched up between the sequences. It's all just really well done and the fact that the sequences are similar but use completely different sets of mechanics (just an all out sprint vs. environment traversal/force stuff) shows that Respawn was thinking about how to keep it fresh and move the character/story along.

Sally posted:

sorry Lazyfire, this is now a Shadows of the Empire thread and we're gonna talk about Han Solo 2.0, sex pest lizard man, comedianbot, and the Real Doll assassin.

Shadows of the Empire really has it all. Super weird it didn't become a series where you see Dash's old exploits or something.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Man, the whole Order 66 sequence is set up and executed (heh) so well. We already know Cal went through it so suddenly seeing him chumming it up with the clone troopers is both foreshadowing that poo poo's about to go down while also being a bit of a gutpunch, constant talk of "new orders" about to come in, then the fake-out with the Commander shooting at you during training - it builds up a sense of dread in you, the player, while the characters themselves go about business as usual. Gotta love dramatic irony done well.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Agreed. The line about new orders from the Supreme Chancellor is one of my most memorable moments in the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I appreciate that the last ability Cal uses in his moment of trauma is the one he retains. Difficult to think about his master's lessons, but his death stuck.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My bad on previous post, that line was elsewhere in the game. A more timely memorable moment would be Tapal feeling a great disturbance in the Force or his many bits of badassrey. Also “ Padawan, your lightsaber!”

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I still don't understand these corridors for people to walk through which are also blocked by cables and pipes. I also think Padawan Cal dropping his lightsaber could have been handled better, say, with a stormtrooper shooting the supports of the elevator car, which makes it shudder unexpectedly. Instead, it's just "your block, which has worked perfectly every time before, doesn't work suddenly". But I guess it's supposed to be that he can't handle two shots yet, since his master got killed trying to block a whole bunch of them.

Other than that it's a good sequence. I'm assuming it's some kind of "Dark Side" thing, since I don't quite understand otherwise how Cal could blame himself. If instead, it was something like Cal's master telling Cal to seal the pod door to save himself, so his master couldn't escape, that would have been a bit smoother and been something more ambiguous.

Escape: – Falls: 1 // Total: 1 (51)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Other than that it's a good sequence. I'm assuming it's some kind of "Dark Side" thing, since I don't quite understand otherwise how Cal could blame himself. If instead, it was something like Cal's master telling Cal to seal the pod door to save himself, so his master couldn't escape, that would have been a bit smoother and been something more ambiguous.

It's Survivor's Guilt, rationality doesn't come into it. "If I'd been smarter or faster I could've done something" is an almost universal trauma response. Inasmuch as anything as personal as trauma can also be universal.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Empire should have lightsaner crystal planet under massive surveillance?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 7, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It's Dagobah and Korriban all over again. It's a Dark Side Planet trope; good guy sees vision and has a fight which tempts them towards evil.

The Korriban sequence from KoTOR 2 remains my favourite.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Spoilers for how all this turns out that I'm not putting in spoilers tags:

The detachable lightsabers are a really awesome addition to the move repertoire Cal has built up. Faster and more damaging than the power slash, wider arcs and Rule of Cool approved. Balancing it out by requiring you to use Force Meter and making it a slower recovery time (as in it takes more time before you can block or dodge than with a power attack) balance it out nicely so you aren't just spamming it. The game straight forces you to use it in the fights after you upgrade the lightsaber, though and that can feel a little odd because the force meter depletes so fast it feels like combat use of force should be restricted. Even with all the upgrades I've put into the meter I still feel like I can't just use that and push to the degree I may want to. Also, you may notice that push actually knocks back powerful enemies now. It's been a while since we fought some inquisitors or force hunters or whatever they technically are, but with the upgrades at my disposal I'm knocking them off platforms left and right. I will never get tired of launching a dude into a bottomless pit no matter the game, and Fallen Order is now an OSHA free zone with things at their highest level.

Non Spoiler stuff:

I've already recorded the next two episodes and we're at a point where I can offer people some options. I can take some time and revisit a couple planets and try to pull some missing things off them, but I personally don't think that will be a lot of fun to watch. The other option is go straight for the end game, which will involve re-re-revisiting Zeffo (This will make sense next video) anyway. I'm fine with either, but I think there are diminishing returns on scouring places at this juncture. I haven't forgotten about the promise to show all the echoes, documents, recordings, etc. either. I'm thinking of splitting that between a couple posts and videos rather than making people sit through long rear end videos and read things on screen. When you have fully voiced stuff it makes sense, but if it's just text I may as well just take a screenshot and be done with it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Star Wars does not deserve someone like BD-1, that's for sure. Best Friend Forever.

Oh, and some other stuff too, but we all know what's important, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

berryjon posted:

Star Wars does not deserve someone like BD-1, that's for sure. Best Friend Forever.

Oh, and some other stuff too, but we all know what's important, right?

Among all the other great stuff I love the "Old Friend" reveal. it's easy to assume Cordova's been talking to Future Cal or some unknown companion this whole time, but if you haven't caught on before now that drives home that BD-1 made the whole journey with him.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Man, they went straight up Matrix Reloaded after giving you back the lightsaber, didn't they? Like, "Here, have a horde of melee enemies to destroy!"

I'm totally okay with going back and clearing up the other planets. You could do a highlight reel, if that's a thing you can do.

For the Force Echoes, I'd rather there were screenshots. I don't need a video for those.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m with Pained as far as replaying planets & lore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"No, BD-1, save yourself! Don't fall into the water with me! You'll, uh, drown?"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Crystals: – Falls: 3 // Total: 3 (54)

- Put on a hat, Cal. It’s cold there!
- Oh hey, there’s the dual-wielding I was waiting for... almost. I love that they give you this new move and throw in wave after wave of mooks to let you play with it.
- Ah, I guess Cere destroyed her own Kyber crystal on purpose, which is why the saber she gave you didn't work.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

And so we escape the Empire in one world they're ruining and get back to another. I have to admit that what I did here was really loving stupid once I thought this out because if I just followed the story direction I would have to come back here anyway and I knew that. Nope, Greeze says go back to Zaffo and for some stupid reason I thought Zaffo was the original planet that has some stuff I still want to grab and not one of the largest most winding areas of the game. You can get from the start of Dathomir to the temple at the end in a couple minutes at most, and along the way you can find a couple paths that get you to other spots if you need to be there. Zaffo has four or five environments often separated out from each other by one way slides that require a slog to work around or you need to go through another area to backtrack. That's not to say this was a waste. If nothing happened here I would have just cut it to when something happens. I did remember an area I hadn't gone to yet and so we get some new stuff, a bounty hunter fight and some incredibly dumb deaths.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dumb deaths are always fun- to watch. :)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is this game the closest AT-ST chicken walkers have been to being threatening? Because they seem to get clowned on in a lot of Star Wars games. Dash Rendar could run up behind them and just shoot upwards. Starkiller would crunch them up after just doing endless ariel combat combos. I don't remember what Kyle did, but I'm sure if was more of the same.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Lost: – Falls: 2 // Total: 2 (56)

painedforever posted:

Is this game the closest AT-ST chicken walkers have been to being threatening? Because they seem to get clowned on in a lot of Star Wars games. Dash Rendar could run up behind them and just shoot upwards. Starkiller would crunch them up after just doing endless ariel combat combos. I don't remember what Kyle did, but I'm sure if was more of the same.

Kyle Katarn used the tools the Force gave him. Specifically, rocket launchers or a commandeered AT-ST of his own.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lost: – Falls: 2 // Total: 2 (56)

Kyle Katarn used the tools the Force gave him. Specifically, rocket launchers or a commandeered AT-ST of his own.

The Force has a hell of a budget. Starkiller just used lightning.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

One of the things this game doesn't do is frequent and predictable boss fights. Yes, you have alpha animals on the various planets that can be considered mini-bosses, but the appearance of an actual progression blocking story related enemy is rare. I really adore this fight just because it incorporates everything we've dealt with so far and isn't afraid to punish you for misreading a situation. I get hit with things I for a fact know I can block from previous fights (if it's not obvious, I'm obscuring the exact nature of the fight and enemy until people have a chance to watch the video) while also recognizing what the game is doing in regards to throwing new stuff at me for the first time. It is absolutely a fight I would have lost at the start of the game for a number of reasons, but almost none are related to the abilities the game has provided. If you were a high execution player you could pass the fight upon getting a lightsaber, I just hosed up enough to need healing. To me, that's a sign of a good boss: the player isn't reliant on an expendable ability/power and the enemy isn't so exotic that you can't combat them without late game upgrades.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Cal: *genocides the Nightbrothers* We're peacekeepers!

I mean, I get that killing stuff is what you do in a game, but it just kinda strikes me funny that Merrin suddenly now decides to talk only after Cal has decimated the remaining Nightbrothers, and then pretends like he didn't do that. (Is it possible to reasonably avoid killing many of them?)

Revenge: – Falls: 1 // Total: 1 (57)

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Cal: *genocides the Nightbrothers* We're peacekeepers!

I mean, I get that killing stuff is what you do in a game, but it just kinda strikes me funny that Merrin suddenly now decides to talk only after Cal has decimated the remaining Nightbrothers, and then pretends like he didn't do that. (Is it possible to reasonably avoid killing many of them?)

I can't remember if the game addresses this, but iirc Nightbrothers and Nightsisters aren't really the same clan, and are often at odds with each other. There's a good chance Merrin doesn't care that you've been fighting them; she's the last of the Nightsisters.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, it's definitely interesting, if understandable, that Merrin doesn't know about the Empire due to just how cut off from galactic news she is. Particularly given she unknowingly mentions that the Empire already HAS been here to wipe out the Nightsisters. An armored lightsaber wielder, huh? Perhaps black armor?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, it's definitely interesting, if understandable, that Merrin doesn't know about the Empire due to just how cut off from galactic news she is. Particularly given she unknowingly mentions that the Empire already HAS been here to wipe out the Nightsisters. An armored lightsaber wielder, huh? Perhaps black armor?

Metal "armor," General Grevious. The Battle of Dathomir was a few episodes of The Clone Wars.

That was pre-"reboot" though, so who knows maybe it's Vader now and happened when they came looking for Malecos. It's canon until it's not, and all that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 27, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Metal "armor," General Grevious. The Battle of Dathomir was a few episodes of The Clone Wars.

That was pre-"reboot" though, so who knows maybe it's Vader now and happened when they came looking for Malecos. It's canon until it's not, and all that.

I'd forgotten about that and yeah, the timeline definitely adds up better. Even aside from forgetting about that though, I generally just classify Grievous as looking more like a droid then an "armored warrior." But then she was very young and the Nightsisters don't seem to have much/any interaction with droids (unless going offworld), so I guess that's an okay descriptor under those conditions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

I'd forgotten about that and yeah, the timeline definitely adds up better. Even aside from forgetting about that though, I generally just classify Grievous as looking more like a droid then an "armored warrior." But then she was very young and the Nightsisters don't seem to have much/any interaction with droids (unless going offworld), so I guess that's an okay descriptor under those conditions.

I only remembered him because people were arguing about it in the Games thread when this came out. I agree Vader's the first guy to come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I really do love the dynamic between Cal and Merrin.