Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So I’m halfway through episode 2 and I understand that the show is homaging a lot of horror movies, and in particular this season has an IT/Carrie motif.

But for people that have watched ahead, does it keep up this level of… meanness against the characters all the way through?

Maybe it’s just the 3-year gap but it didn’t feel as bad in previous seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Somebody remind me, they say that Vecna opens the gates through the psychic energy produced by killing his victims, but we see the tentacles feeding on the fish at Lover's Lake before the basketball player gets killed there?

Not going "hope somebody got fired for that blunder!", here, just curious if I'm misremembering. Though, personally I didn't like the backstory they gave for the Upside Down on this season, in particular making Eleven so integral to shaping the way it is now. I liked it when it was more of a "this weird mirror world just exists and humans are just loving around with something they don't understand" vibe. The first season scene of Eleven in a dark featureless world and then the first Demogorgon just kind of being there really stuck with me.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 1, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this was mentioned before but I just saw this promo image for the show and the implication seems to be that there's going to be gates open in the school, California, Hawkins and Russia?

Which might how we get all characters reunited in a short amount of time. Although I don't know how much sense it makes for Mike and the others to go back to California from Utah, instead of just heading to Indiana, so this might just be a red herring.

Edit: in hindsight that first image is probably the lab where Eleven grew up

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 3, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It seems like something fairly trivial to fix with editing? Isn’t it just mentioned on a voice over from Eleven?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: beaten

I understood the burning crib to be the father having ordered the shelling of a civilian house during the war or something like that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

He came off the bench and hit the winning shot to get the basketball team the championship!

If this were the right kind of story, that’d make him the main character.

He hasn’t been helped that most of his closest friends are in the California subplot, so he’s third wheel to everyone except maybe Max. He did warn them about the jocks coming for Eddie, although it’s hard to say that made any meaningful difference.

It didn't. Lucas sent them on that wild goose chase for like 2 seconds but that's about it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

unlimited shrimp posted:

My sense is that he was the first person from our dimension to be sent to the upside down and so maybe he got special treatment when he arrived, particularly given his powers and his sensibilities.

I assume he is working for the Mind Flayer and that it was the Mind Flayer who made him into Vecna.

What I don't quite understand is why the Mind Flayer would then humor him by creating a Hawkins in the Upside Down.

Doesn’t the inverted Hawkins get created when Will goes to the Upside Down for the first time? At least according to Season 3, I don’t know if this holds up for Season 1, but whatever.

It seems to me that you have Vecna’s neighborhood in the UD where he has his house and the red sky, and then you have 1983 Hawkins which has a blue tint and basically places that are important to Will and the rest of the gang.

Coupled with the mentions of Will also being a “sensitive boy”, maybe there’s some people that for whatever reason make an impression in the Upside Down.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
thatsbait.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

I just found out Jonathan never took creeper photos of Nancy anymore, so Steve actually was a dick now retroactively.

Not sure if this sucks or not. On the one hand it sucks for Steve’s character, on the other hand the idea that you can be a big old creeper and still get the girl, like Jonathan does, is weird. It is very 80s though.