Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Problem description: Created a USB boot drive for Linux Mint and cannot save WiFi drivers and configuration (MacBook Pro from 2012 and MacBook Air from 2019). Want to be able to keep using usb launcher only to not disturb the current OS files without connecting to the internet via Ethernet and redownloading drivers each time.

Attempted fixes: Connected via ethernet and downloaded drivers for WiFi (Broadcom?), worked during that session but after shutting down and restarting the laptop(s) needed to be reconnected to Ethernet and have drivers redownloaded. Searched Google and can only find permanent instructions for OS installs, not USB boots.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon

System specs: MacBook Pro A1278

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

--

More Googling revealed "sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source" will install the drivers (and it does!). Is there anyway to automate that on boot or save a note with that on the USB live drive? I saved it to my phone but it'd be nice to just pop the key in and have it autoload or at the very least saved there.

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU