Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

I liked Joe Mad's stuff at the time and I'm pretty sure at least two of the other books had a Kubert brother on them. They were fine, but that is some picking of cherries.

Also had Steve Epting on Factor X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Also popping in to say I've enjoyed this nostalgia trip and would love to see it continue!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I absolutely want it to continue, but a lot of my time devoted to this thread came from having down time at work and I don't have much of that anymore. Not long after I started the thread last year we moved offices which was a big ordeal and logistical nightmare for a while. And then a bit later I got promoted which cut down on my down time significantly. I loved doing the thread though so I for sure want it to come back I just need to figure out how to keep it going consistently.

I do think maybe sometime in the next week or so I'm just gonna say gently caress it and upload the full issues for all 40 issues I've covered so far in the thread. There's literally no way to get this except on the secondary market and even then it's hard to track down issues because it's not like this has some kind of value like the comics it's about. So I feel that we're not really doing any wrong by posting it. And what I might do to make it easier to keep the thread going is reduce the number of pages posted and just highlight a few things from each issue and then provide the entire issue for people to look at. That way others can even post things they find interesting from the issue themselves to maybe drive some more conversation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats on the promotion!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah, congratulations on getting promoted! Next time I head back to the old homestead, I'll see if I can find any of my old issues up in the attic. Hopefully I have a few of the issues from 90-100 that I can't seem to find anywhere online

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Appreciate that. Like I said I really want to get back to this thread. And I think maybe a shorter post with the full issue attached is the best way to get back to it.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Next time I head back to the old homestead, I'll see if I can find any of my old issues up in the attic. Hopefully I have a few of the issues from 90-100 that I can't seem to find anywhere online

I already have those scanned. You won't find them anywhere online as that's one of the reasons I even started scanning in the first place. If they existed I never would have bothered.

EDIT: See below for issues on Archive.org

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 19, 2023

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

You could probably host those on archive.org at this point. I bet they'd take em.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would love if someone uploaded all the old comic book and toy magazines to archive.org. I dream of flipping through those old mags looking at unreleased star wars toys prototypes or rough pencils/b&w inks of upcoming comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

You could probably host those on archive.org at this point. I bet they'd take em.

ruddiger posted:

I would love if someone uploaded all the old comic book and toy magazines to archive.org. I dream of flipping through those old mags looking at unreleased star wars toys prototypes or rough pencils/b&w inks of upcoming comics.

I'm looking into archive.org to see how best to set it up so it's the most useful for everyone. Pretty great idea.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, so I did the Archive.org thing. And it works great for this.

So as a bonus thing I've upload three special issues that I haven't posted here yet. These are the three issues of Wizard Edge, which was a once a year spin off magazine from 2002-2004.

https://archive.org/details/wizard-edge-01

https://archive.org/details/wizard-edge-02

https://archive.org/details/wizard-edge-03

I also uploaded Wizard Xtra from 2007. This book is kind of like a commentary book. Where creators talk about some of their most famous issues/arcs/series. All of these were covered in previous issues of Wizard, but they're all compiled in this issue in a pretty great format. It's one of my favorite issues of Wizard because it covers some of the major books I grew up with in a pretty no-bullshit way.

https://archive.org/details/wizard-xtra

The other 40 issues I've put in this thread have also been uploaded. For all these issues I only uploaded the CBZ file, but archive.org created a whole bunch of other versions like PDF, EPUB, and OCR stuff. I don't know if any of those are any good. I can only vouch for the CBZ file I originally uploaded.

You can find the other 40 issues here: https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A%22Wizard+Magazine%22&sort=title

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Awesome! Never saw Wizard Edge before, thanks for your service to internet archivery

edit: And wow, Dave Sim interview that refers to people who might have a problem with Dave's "Women are thought voids" incel rants as "politically correct" right out of the gate.

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 22, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #41 January 1995

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Casting Call

Palmer's Picks

Cut & Print

Top 10 Heroes and Villains

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

Full Issue on Archive.org
https://archive.org/details/wizard-magazine-041

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #42 February 1995

Cover (Not my cover scans, but my scan of the heroes cover is in the complete issue linked below)

Contents

Wizard News

Art Imitates Life

Casting Call

The Drawing Board

Cut & Print

Palmer's Picks

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

https://archive.org/details/wizard-magazine-042

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 11, 2023

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I notice they switched to crediting writer first this issue

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How fuckin' much did they have to pay Alex Ross for two multi-page covers!?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Those Casting Call articles are like 90% “here’s a wrestler/football player with kinda the same haircut” but Larry Drake as Doc Ock would have been rad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Cusack would be a good adult Peter Parker and an atrocious Spider-Man.

Also check out Kaare Andrews sending in Madman art

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

How fuckin' much did they have to pay Alex Ross for two multi-page covers!?

More like how much was wizard pulling in that they could afford two Alex Ross multi-page covers

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I still would have liked to see Danzig as Wolverine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rutger Hauer would have made a good Magneto at the time.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Rutger Hauer would have made a good Magneto at the time.

Oh, he'd have been excellent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's funny how most of those are the dumbest, laziest "hey these two kind of look alike", and then you get awesome poo poo like Rutger Hauer Magneto

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Opopanax posted:

It's funny how most of those are the dumbest, laziest "hey these two kind of look alike", and then you get awesome poo poo like Rutger Hauer Magneto

That's pretty much par for the course on that article. Every issue they throw out the requisite football player or wrestler and then sometimes just put one in there that makes you think they actually might be good at this if they gave it a little more thought.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pro having Vader act more before he died tho

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #43 March 1995

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Reaching For The Stars

No Slowing Down

The Drawing Board Featuring a young Kenneth Roccafort

Cut & Print

Palmer's Picks

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

https://archive.org/details/wizard-magazine-043

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 15, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #44 April 1995

I believe this is the issue where the Manga article became a regular feature. I remember someone earlier in the thread asking about it. I'll include it from now on every post.

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Voices of a Generation

Manga Scene

The Drawing Board Featuring a young Patrick Gleason

Cut & Print

Palmer's Picks

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

https://archive.org/details/wizard-magazine-044

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 15, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I was curious about the manga! It's interesting to think back about what became the 'canonical' anime of the 90s in the West and where wizard is on and off about some of them. They got on the Ghost in the Shell train real early, comparatively, and I remember Ah My Goddess being really popular at some point, but the Akira author's works outside of Akira itself remain pretty niche.

Calling attention to Honneamise is another indicator that the people on Japan watch at Wizard had a good sense of what was going to get real big too, as Evangelion was about to air in a few months as of that article.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 15, 2023

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

we're getting to when i started reading the magazine, nice. 1995 valiant ads for birthquake or whatever >>>

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember that cover convincing me to not bother with Image comics, I couldn't get over Fairchild(I think that was her name?) Thigh being as long as her head and torso.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's so interesting to see the talk about movies and what came out, what didn't, and what suffered years-long Development Hell. Like, the D&D movie came out in 2000 and while it sounds like they had the basic story outline by this point, there's also a lot of stuff they talk about that they had to cut back on (you know, all the interesting stuff like various D&D monsters and a good director; as I understand it Courtney Solomon just wanted to produce but was basically forced into directing). Then you get stuff like

quote:

Will Extreme Studios's comic Power of the Mark be brought to the screen under the production eye of Tom Cruise?

And it's like, I've never even heard of that comic (and can't seem to find any information on it at all? Did it get cancelled before release or did it get another name change?)

I have to admit, the Top 10 and Top 10 Heroes and Villains articles are weird just because of the apparent need to fill space. I wonder if they expected them to shift more than they did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Everything about the Marvel restructuring just reminds me of DC's new 52 for some reason. Maybe it's the creators not having any idea what is going on and editorial just loving things up.

edit: oooh Patrick Gleason fan art!

Madkal fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 16, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Big brain ideas like that Hellina cover gimmick are what made Lightning Comics what it is today.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Apparently Tom Palmer used to blog about his old Wizard columns and would give little write ups about them. The scan of this one was posted upthread

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #45 May 1995

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

On The Marc

Lady's Man

MTV To The Maxx

Can Cap Be Cool?

Casting Call

Manga Scene

The Drawing Board

Cut & Print

Palmer's Picks

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile (This is a completely made up person)

Random Ads

https://archive.org/details/wizard-magazine-045

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 16, 2023

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

one of the hallmarks of my childhood is wizard casting howie long as every muscular blonde male character ever and i wouldnt change a loving thing

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

okay but if the MCU had started in the 90s, how many of these WOULD happen

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Olympus posted:

okay but if the MCU had started in the 90s, how many of these WOULD happen

Timothy Dalton as Iron Man in 1995 just feels right.

I'm not seeing Annette Bening as Tigra at all though. That one's a head scratcher. Not sure how the hell they landed on that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Can't believe they're bagging on great Image character Troll and calling him a wolverine ripoff!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kalli posted:

Can't believe they're bagging on great Image character Troll and calling him a wolverine ripoff!

Jesus Christ that anatomy. Can he even walk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

also what's the deal with the completely made up person? what was going ON there