Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I genuinely wouldn't have been excited for Image if not for Wizard, and them being monthly in a way made up for the actual Image comics that never were, but boy howdy Wetworks #1 is coming some day! Also looking forward to when we get to what felt like essentially rigging the back issue market when it comes to the low print run Valiant stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

that entire top ten is Marvel.

Was DC putting out any good non-Vertigo books at the time?

In 1991-ish at least they certainly weren't popping like X-Force and X-Men and the metric of 'this is really popular' Wizard was using.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Part of X-Force's charm is they KILL people."

Also learning Bart Sears worked on the COPS toyline makes a lot of sense in hindsight given their design.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

WildC.A.T.S.

Which doesn't narrow it down a lot because they were on half a dozen covers in the early 90's.

OKS, we might have gotten the same first issue of Wizard.

On topic, that Simonsons interview does make me get a lit of wistful since they'd do more of that in the early days. Heck, what got me onto Cerebus (mixed bag that turned out to be) was a big article on it in Wizard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I never got into Wizard, though I followed it's trad games cousin InQuest for a while. That said, I did get the Wizard JLA special issue and must have read it 100 times.

InQuest also used to be really good about talking about the less than mainstream stuff before it was just Magic & Friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now it does seem almost like Wizard was priming the pump to manipulate the back issue market by going hard on Valiant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Robin III on the way!'

Don't you threaten me. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Toddster posted:

"To tell you the truth, because of the success that I have gotten, I've got more sympathy to the people that are in a successful position."

And that's why Image doesn't have a union.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harbingers #1 selling for pocket change now feels a little like vindication. A lot of comic stores don't carry it because of the print run, which is not the same as not having it because people want it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Zombie posted:

I remember Shi, mainly because of what it was infamous for.

What was that? I just remember it being Yet Another 'bad girl' comic. Also fun fact, at my comic store we had an entire box of the Shi/Cyblade comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Six valiant titles in the top ten!

It becomes funny when even in the recaps Wizard starts to say things like 'it's not that they're important issues BUT THOSE PRINT RUNS THO."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For some reason I read 'first appearance of H.A.R.D. Corps' and just laugh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You know in my ten years working at a comic store I never saw anybody try to bring in those Valiant issues to try and fund their kid's college education like they did with your X-Forces and Death of Supermans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

The only money I’ve ever made from colllecting comics came from Ultimate Spider-Man and The Walking Dead. I bought them because I love Spider-Man and zombie movies. Any comics I ever bought as “investments” turned out to be worthless.

Yeah, I sold my first 50 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man back to my store at peak interest and did okay. I have some technically valuable comics with like Amazing Spidey #298-300 but I've also read them so they're nowhere near mint. Or near mint.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The ad about Cain from Harris Comics made me laugh thinking about it. The bad girl craze is about to break out, they're Vampirella's company and they decide to make a comic with a dude. Canny as a fox.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 17, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ah, yes, it was in fact Rai #4 that explicitly had nothing going for it aside from there weren't many copies and nobody bought it. I asked the owner of the comic store I worked at who had been in the business for decades and does pretty high end Gold and Silver Age back issue stuff if he ever bothered with the Valiant comics in the early 90's and the answer was mostly a blank look.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

These are always interesting. To bring the feet on the ground perspective as it were, I've been able to visit a lot of different comic stores over the southeast, to say nothing of visiting others at cons and a few things stand out about the Valiant books. First, these early 'first generation' runs you probably won't find because small print run. If you do find them, the price tag depends on the age of the owner to what they're priced at. If they were of an age reading Wizard when it was coming out, then they'll probably be 5-10 books with things like a few of the #1s (and things like the first modern appearance of Turok) being in the realm of pricy. If they were older or younger, quarter bins.

Even the trade paperbacks had low print runs, just because they were expensive to make. I remember finally reading Harbinger, I believe it was, in trade and being super stoked because they talked it up for AGES and being very underwhelmed. I decided to stick with New Warriors.

Edit: Also LOL at the last Wizard review. "Alpha Flight's Shaman can count himself among the hottest characters today."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sim hadn't gone Full Dave at that point, but it was the first interview in Wizard that got me reading Cerebus (that and a combination of him showing up in that issue of the Mirage TMNT which I read via the First reprints). I remember having my mom order the first phone book. I did a book report on High Society and never bothered to tell them it was a trade because it wasn't technically a book but it was certainly more gripping than anything else I'd read at that point. This was also about the time Sim started on Mothers and Daughters where the first story arc felt like a sort of return to form after Jaka's Story and Melmoth but then it's where the cracks really started to show, ending with the male light and female void and bah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kid Fenris posted:

I recall the anime and manga section of Wizard being pretty good by the time I started reading the magazine (1994, maybe 1995). It was written by Carl Gustav Horn, who's a respected writer/editor/translator these days. They spotlighted a bunch of interesting series.

It had that thing of early Wizard where they'd talk about something interesting before giving way to just focusing on whatever was popular.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

#7 Youngblood #2 (First appearance of Shadowhawk): This is a weird one. One copy sold for $20. Another for $10. A slabbed 9.5 sold for $15. I guess we can call this :mediocre:? Definitely not a good one.

Wild. Almost all early Image stuff was dollar bin fodder for us. Spawn was the exception.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fun fact: We had an entire box of nothing but Deathmate issues at the store. The only way we got rid of them was putting them out for an early Free Comic Book Day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I love the Deathmate article saying they'll definitely be out on time, and really, Image's lateness issue isn't an issue at all. That early bit when Image was trying to be a singular universe is pretty interesting, but it's not too surprising that didn't last long for a variety of reasons. You can already see it falling apart with Jim Lee saying Homage Studios bowing out of any future crossovers.

I believe at this point in time Liefeld had already started to throw his weight around and put off the other founders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Three robot arms! With three guns. He is three times the man Cable is.

Whereas WildCATS was Jim Lee's team he made as a kid (along with the writer, whose name escapes me) Cyberforce feels 100% Silvestri going "X-Men but messing with dials."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I totally bought Gen13 #1 because I thought it might be worth something. Also babes.

It's still not a dollar bin book if that helps. The mini-series was always hard to find. Some of the variants for the ongoing are also kind of up there. (I am slightly curious what the highest slabbed copy of the cover which has Fairchild and Grunge doing the infamous Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover goes for, but not enough to look.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 25, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Todd Nuack!!!

I forgot he got his start with Extreme Studios. He's a super nice dude in person, too.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad to see Rai #0 is still the hottest poo poo around

As it will be forever. :smuggo:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darthemed posted:

Seeing praise for Jim Balent’s art is surreal, to say the least.

A shame there was never an article on his breakdown over being taken off Catwoman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Todd mad at retailers not getting what they ordered?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I see that 'Todd complains about the industry' is going to be a thing in his column.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BooDooBoo posted:

It's about as good as we can expect from Wizard in '93, but in keeping with the book itself.

I've not read Mantra for probably 25 years, but I remember they never really *did* anything with the concept beyond "Ugh! Bras!".

Pretty much. Although they eventually put the original soul(?) back in Mantra's body and she had a magic pregnancy, so that's nice. The guy who'd been in her body got his own body back and hung around for a bit as her boyfriend because... I don't even want to try and untangle those dynamics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some interesting bits in there, like talking about the first cancellations from Image Comics and a sign it wasn't just a money-making juggernaut where every series was a surefire hit. (Shadowhawk sort of proved that initially, but it kept going.)

I think people being very excited for Peter David is charming.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The nostalgic days when Stephen Platt was a thing because he 'kind of drew like McFarlane.' Good times.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I wonder if everyone in Wizard were able to get their money out of Valiant and pivot or dealers just kept saying "lol, no" and Wizard decided to stop pushing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, wow, are we into the era of 'Peter David gets into slap fights with Image creators?' Good times. Good times. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if Todd still calls Rob when he's bored because he knows he'll be laughing hysterically in no time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Balent did not in fact stay with Catwoman until he got tired of it, he got bounced when they decided to go with the beyond vastly superior Darwyn Cooke redesign/relaunch. He's been doing his Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose series for years so he's doing fine, so it all worked out. (He even sort of talked about it in the interview with talking about sword and sorcery women, which one can infer became Tarot.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ManiacClown posted:

Do I remember correctly that Tarot is the "Your vagina is haunted!" series?

That's the one. I had a friend who reviewed the series on his blog and that was a peak.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PAD enjoys writing about sex, which is fine. Whether he's good at it is another matter entirely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Zombie posted:

Does Crossgen publication time concide with Wizards run? I’m wondering how they covered it

They talked about it, I remember that much. I don't think they tried to push it like they did Valiant, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

funtax posted:

My pet theory that I'd add is that most of the founders didn't actually LIKE making comics. As soon as the money started rolling in and it seemed like they could do just as well paying other people to take on the artistic duties, nearly all of them pushed back from the drawing table and only ever returned for "special" projects after that. Larsen is the clear exception, which is why Savage Dragon continues to come out like clockwork with Larsen responsible for nearly all aspects of it. It's also the only founding Image book that I think actually holds up for modern readers.

That even seemed to trickle down to things like Cliffhanger years later. Joe Mad and Campbell immediately took all the option money they could - which I stress is fine, get that paper - and only Humberto Ramos seemed to want to put out work regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

gently caress I forgot about Battle Chasers. I have the trade somewhere. I kind of liked it and was sad to find out that the series was pretty much dead.
I remember a random Wizard issue I had in the early 2000's (might have been in the late 90's even but I didn't really start reading Wizard until early 2000's) which compared three "indie" companies to figure out which one was the best (indie in brackets because one of them was Marvel Knights). The compared Cliffhanger, ABC, and Marvel Knights and the article mentioned delays quite often.

When we get to him it'll be interesting to see if Wizard talks about Joe Mad taking the world by storm. I mean, I'd bet money they did. He was quite the revelation with the manga-esque style at the time. I remember liking him a lot. Especially which ever Age of Apocalypse X-Men book he did.