Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks for this thread! I have a lot of memories of Wizard, and they probably mirror yours pretty closely, though I didn't have anywhere near this collection. Since I'm not doing anything, I've decided I'm going to do a thing along with this:

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

These were the hottest books as determined by Wizard Magazine, so they must still be very valuable, right? Let's see what Ebay in 2022 has to say about that!

Issue 1, September 1991:

#1: X-Force #1 with Cable card (first issue of a popular series, obviously, specifically with a popular character's trading card): I can't find any recently completed auctions that actually sold, but there's a number with sub-$5 BIN that didn't sell. Let's call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER
#2: Uncanny X-Men #248 (first Jim Lee penciled issue): $4.50
#3: Silver Surfer #50 (cool embossed cover, lead-in to Infinity Gauntlet): $9.99
#4: X-Factor #63 (first Wilce Portacio penciled issue): Can't find a solo sale, but it sold along with #64-65 for $7. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5: Spider-Man #1 (platinum) (chase cover for top-selling comic book of all time for a few months): $564 unslabbed! This was a good pick! Somewhat strangely, a slabbed 9.0 sold shortly after for $586, so either someone got a deal, or someone got hosed.
#6: New Mutants #87 (first appearance of Cable): A slabbed 8.5 copy sold for somewhere less than $140 (best offer accepted). A slabbed 9.8 sold for $675. We'll call this a good pick by Wizard.
#7: Silver Surfer #34 (Jim Starlins debuts as writer, Thanos returns from the dead): $10 unslabbed. Slabbed copies seem all over the place. Probably not a great pick.
#8: Ghost Rider #15 (Ghost Rider vs. Johnny Blaze, cool glow in the dark cover): Only actual sale I can find is part of a lot including 25 total comics. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9: New Teen Titans #2 (first appearance of Deathstroke): Slabbed 9.0 for $259. I can't find any unslabbed sales. Good pick!
#10: New Mutants #100 (final issue, first appearance of X-Force): Slabbed 9.6 for $48. Bad pick!

Issue 2, October 1991:

(From here on out I will only include comics they didn't previously list)

#1: X-Men #1 (#1 selling comic of all time, gatefold cover): A slabbed 9.8 sold for under $129, and another seller sold 10 unslabbed copies for $200. We'll call this a mediocre pick.
#3: Uncanny X-Men #281 (new team with Wilce Portacio art): $5.50 by itself, but there's some other copies selling for even less as part of lots. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9: New Warriors #1 (new teen team. Teen teams are cool, right?): Slabbed copy under $72, on unslabbed sale for $10. Bad pick!
#10: X-Factor #71 (new team, new creative team of Peter David and Larry Stroman): lots of two in near mint sold for a cool buck. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 3, November 1991:

#9: Infinity Gauntlet #1 (first issue of a hot miniseries): Slabbed 9.4 under $109, unslabbed $16.50. Mediocre pick here

Issue 4, December 1991:

#1: Robin: Joker's Wild #1 (Five covers! Holograms! What's it about? Who cares!): One copy sold under $5. Best I can tell you can't give this away. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8: X-Factor #24 (first full appearance of Archangel): Slabbed 9.8 for $282, unslabbed for $22. Not a bad pick
#9: Uncanny X-Men #282 (first appearance of Bishop): Unslabbed copy under $20, slabbed 9.6 for $96. Mediocre pick.
#10: Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 (first modern appearance of Magnus): Issues 1-3 sold in a lot for $4. That's close enough to QUARTER BIN FODDER to me.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ruddiger posted:

The print runs on those comics in that era were ridiculous, I think the only reason why some of those books retained their value was either due to artificial scarcity (the platinum Spider-Man issue that was a retailer incentive if they ordered a poo poo load of the regular book) or books that were under the radar and “only” had a print run in the 10s of thousands instead of 100,000.
Oh definitely. It would be interesting to see what Wizard's price guides at the time said and chart prices with time, but I'm not going to put that much effort into this. Like Dawgstar said, they were definitely priming the pump. I know at one point I actually bought an issue of Green Lantern because Wizard told me it was valuable (it was a one-off issue between Reign of the Supermen where Coast City was destroyed and Emerald Twilight that featured Green Arrow).

Anyway, to finish off the issues X-O has posted:

These were the hottest books as determined by Wizard Magazine, so they must still be very valuable, right? Let's see what Ebay in 2022 has to say about that!

Issue 5, January 1992

#8: Uncanny X-Men #201 (Wilce Portacio's first work on an X-Book, first appearance of Baby Cable (though this was only speculation at the time)....and Wizard covered it last month :thunk:): Price range heavily depending on condition - I'm seeing anywhere from $8 in a lot to $39 on its own. Average around $15. Gonna call this one a mediocre pick.
#10: Uncanny X-Men #266 (it not Wizard, it Gambit): Unslabbed copies are around $150 and slabbed 9+ can reach double that. Great pick by Wizard here

Issue 6, February 1992

ALL MUTANTS ALL THE TIME! Nothing new on this list at all. Couldn't even find a Valiant book or something to push smh

Issue 7, March 1992

Actually I said "No, MORE mutants!"

#8: Uncanny X-Men #268 (Jim Lee's first issue as "regular" artist. And Captain America, who was definitely popping sales in 1992): I can't really get a handle on this. I'm seeing sold prices anywhere from $4.50 up $43 unslabbed. Slabbed copies are similarly all over the place. We'll call this a good pick.

Once again, everything else is X-books we've seen before

Lol that the magazine gave Flash, a character with decades of history about 2.5 times the writing (and only twice the pages) of X-O Manowar who had less than a year.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 15, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Endless Mike I will not hesitate to stare at your post in disgust if you call my boy Darkhawk's book a bad investment choice. Someday!
Don't worry, you're getting a bit of a reprieve. I'm gonna let you post a few issues at a time and do them all at once.

Also I think Bishop has about eight months of publishing history at the time this issue came out. Uncanny #282 had a cover date of November 1991, which means it came out a couple months earlier. He *may* have shot a pie by this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm actually shocked they didn't pick New Mutants #98 as a hot comic in a month where Deadpool is on the cover.

Also LMFAO at ultra-buff Booster.

Are you planning to post the full scans anywhere? I may have missed that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's awesome! I was actually thinking while looking through the fan art galleries when we'd see our first future artist! Looks like that's been answered.

Issue 8, March 1992

#9: Ghost Rider #1 (first appearance of Dan Ketch Ghost Rider AND Deathwatch!): This is a weird one. There's unslabbed sales ranging from $32-50, and slabbed from $32 to $350 based on condition. This was a pretty good pick!
#10: Darkhawk #1 (first appearance of Darkhawk): $18-20 unslabbed, high-graded slabbed around $300. Obviously a great pick given all the incredibly memorable Darkhawk stories it led to

Issue 9, May 1992

#9: Amazing Spider-Man #361 (first full appearance of Carnage): Unslabbed are ranging from $50-100, with slabbed ones running anywhere from $250-550 depending on condition. This is unsurprisingly a great pick from Wizard

Issue 10, June 1992

#8: Amazing Spider-Man #362 (Carnage....again): Ranges anywhere from $12-25 unslabbed, slabbed copies rarely sell, though a 9.8 got $375. :mediocre:
#9: Harbinger #1 (start of a new series - I think the characters may have technically first appeared elsewhere as this is part of the Unity crossover): There's literally no sales, and hardly any listings. A slabbed 9.4 failed to sell at $70. Gonna call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 11, July 1992

#7: Spectacular Spider-Man #189 (it has a cool hologram cover :geno:): Lots of listings, hardly any sales, all single-digit dollars. Slabbed copies are running less than the cost of grading. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8: Unity #0 (start of Valiant's first crossover): $1. Unsurprisingly, Valiant is QUARTER BIN FODDER in 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, I think this may have been my first issue, too. I definitely recognize the cover. Anyway, a couple notes:

I'm delcaring August as Image Month in BSS. We will talk about the cool Image comics like WildCATs, Youngblood, and CyberForce.

I'm really curious who Jim Lee and the editor (was it Harras at this point?) decided the X-Men's traitor was. Obviously that didn't get resolved for another several years.

I don't think I knew Tim Curry was tapped for the Joker.

I'm looking forward to when fan art changes to envelope art (when they start having the Q&A's).

I'm glad they used Wolverine's most iconic costume for his appearance in the top 10.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NGL: I miss the cover art having the wizard robe and hat (or even just sash). It was more fun than just art of whoever they're featuring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty firmly in the "YES" crew for cosplay photos. It's one of those art forms that's really interesting, and it'll be cool to see early American versions (idk when Japan got big into it).

That said, if they get a bit too nasty about the cosplayers, maybe put it behind spoilers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crap, I can't believe my boxes are leaching acid into my comics!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Issue 12, August 1992

#2 Magnus: Robot Fighter #0 (send-away version) (it's a super limited version of the comic): A slabbed 9.8 sold for $203, while an unslabbed one went for $87. Good pick, though getting it required cutting up issues 1-8 of Magnus, but given those are quarter bin fodder, this worked out better
#10 Amazing Spider-Man #274 (Ghost Rider appears): Copies are selling in the $1-3 range, nothing is slabbed. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 13, September 1992

#2 Spawn #1 (duh): Unslabbed copies range from $25-50, slabbed $100ish and one for over $900. I'm calling this a good buy.
#10: Amazing Spider-Man #101 (IT'S MORBIN' TIME!!): Unslabbed copies are going for around $250 and up, with graded copies going for up to triple that for even a 7.5. Obviously Morbius was the character re-find of 1992 and 30 years later continues to be Marvel's most beloved property. Great pick by Wizard here!

Issue 14, October 1992

#2 Solar #10 (Solar's origin PLUS first appearances of Geoff the Geomancer and the Eternal Warrior!): Unslabbed seems to be around the $10 mark with slabbed copies in good condition around $100. This is the first non-chase variant Valiant comic that even achieves :mediocre: status! I'm sure there will be more from this beloved comic company that was definitely poised for greatness in 1992.
#7 Youngblood #1 (duh): I have a friend who used to take a copy of Youngblood to comic cons and have everyone he could get to to sign it. They'd generally either laugh or give him a funny look, but would sign it in the end. Anyway, that's the most value Youngblood has since no one is actually buying this. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9 John Byrne's Next Men #1 (Well, it's a #1 issue of a series by at-the-time celebrated writer John Byrne. I guess that's something. Also the first Dark Horse book to break into the top 10): One copy sold for $3. A lot containing this and five more issues didn't sell for $0.99. QUARTER BIN FODDER. Apparently #21 is the first appearance of Hellboy. I'll be interested to see if that breaks through eventually.

Issue 15, November 1992

#5 Magnus: Robot Fighter #12 (first modern appearance of Turok): A copy in a lot with Turok #1 sold for $15, while slabbed 9.8 copies are going around $300. This is a very qualified GOOD PICK.
#7 Eternal Warrior #4 (first appearance of Bloodshot, star of hit movie Bloodshot): A slabbed copy sold for $80, and TWO count them TWO copies unslabbed in a lot sold for $5. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9 Shadowhawk #1 (duh): There's exactly one recent sale for $4. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 16, December 1992

#1 Rai #0 ("Cool cover" and tells the future of Valiant): The only sale is a sub-$50 slabbed copy. No one wants this. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#3 Eternal Warrior #5 (first(?) full appearance of Bloodshot, star of hit movie Bloodshot): You'll be shocked to discover there's no sales of this, not even in lots. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5 Harbinger #10 (first appearance of H.A.R.D. Corps): Just guess. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#7 Shadowman #8 (first appearance of Master Darque): QUARTER BIN FODDER

Not a good month to be a highly-coveted Valiant comic, I guess!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 15, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

For some reason I read 'first appearance of H.A.R.D. Corps' and just laugh.

I'm fairly certain during the Deathmate crossover with Image, there's Amalgam-style mashups and we get H.A.R.D.C.A.T.s and/or Wild Corps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

This kind of stood out to me too, especially with Wizard helping accelerate the "collectible comics" craze it seems a little insane that a comics company would release a comic that would require you to cut up your comics. Maybe they were hoping it would boost sales by having people go "I'll buy one to cut up and one to preserve."
I believe Image did something similar (though maybe it was also Valiant?) where there was a coupon in a bunch of comics and if you tore out and mailed them in, you'd get another comic.

StumblyWumbly posted:

FWIW, compared to inflation $3 in 1992 is worth $6.25 today, so it does not take many $100+ comics to make Wizard a good investment advistor.

I'm too drunk to compare it to actual stock. but I assume my results will extrapolate perfectly.
If you put your $2 in $SPY when it launched in January 1993 (pretending they would allow partial shares at that point) instead of Spawn #1 the month it came out, you'd have around $13 now, so you'd have done better, HOWEVER, by September 1992 when Wizard said Spawn #1 was a HOT COMIC, it was already several months old (it has a cover date of May 1992), and stores were certainly selling it for well above cover price, since it was obviously a hot comic that was going to be worth millions and really you're getting a deal at $20.

However, looking this up, I now have levels for "mediocre" (beats inflation) and "good" (beats the market), so that's useful. (It more or less matches with where I was judging, anyway.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 15, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

YEAR 1 TOP 10 COMIC STATS

Total unique comics appearing: In 120 slots of the year, 30 unique comics appeared on the top 10 lists.

Appearance by publisher (each appearance will count, even for comics that last multiple months):

Marvel: 110
Valiant: 7
DC: 3

With Image only having just launched by August 1992, there was only four remotely major publishers at the time: Marvel, DC, Valiant, and Dark Horse, so it's no real surprise to see this.

Most Valuable Comic (in 2022): Not too surprisingly, the platinum cover of Spider-Man #1 is selling for the highest. It was a chase cover only sent to certain comic shops as a "thank you" for making Spider-Man #1 the top-selling comic of all time.

Longest time in top 10: New Mutants #87 made it the full 12 months (and, indeed, will continue to appear after the first year. Cable was pretty popular!
Runner-up: Uncanny X-Men #248 made it 11 of the 12 months, only dropping out in issue 2 before returning.
One and done: Ghost Rider #15, New Teen Titans #2, New Mutants #100, Infinity Gauntlet #1, and Amazing Spider-Man #274 all had a single appearance in the first year.

Series with the most comics appearing: Uncanny X-Men had six issues appearing: 201, 248, 266, 268, 281, and 282.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe if Wizard put NFL Superpro #1 on their top 10 list, it would still be ongoing today

makes u think

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love the Comic Watch for X-Men #4 noting that #1 is already worthless since they printed so many. Makes u think

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

These next few issues seem to have ton of turnover. I'm sure these will be the comics that are truly valuable in 2022!

Issue 17, January 1993

#2 Spawn #4 ("Underordered" and had a tear-out coupon): There's exactly one recent sale: A slabbed 9.4 for $27. I think calling this QUARTER BIN FODDER is being too nice. This is bird cage liner.
#3 Bloodshot #1 (first issue of new character find Bloodshot): There's a few sales, all in single digits. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#6 Rai #4 (Low print run. That's it. There's absolutely nothing else at all interesting about this.): One copy took an offer under $15. We'll call this :mediocre:
#7 Rai #3 (See above.): Seems to run around $7 for an unslabbed copy. Beating inflation, I guess! :mediocre:
#9 Harbinger #4 (See above. Also had a coupon for something, too.): Going rate is around $10. :mediocre:

Four new Valiant comics in one month! This Valiant company must be pretty great!

Issue 18, February 1993

#1 Superman #75 (In this issue....A Superman DIES!): Sealed copies are running around $10. I was actually expecting a bit more here. :mediocre:
#7 Magnus: Robot Fighter #5 (First appearance of Rai and a low print run): One copy sold for $5, another for $20. A slabbed 9.8 took an offer under their $400 BIN price. I'm calling this :mediocre: but it's kind of hard to tell.
#10 WildC.A.T.S. #2 (It has a prismatic cover that "gives you an aneurysm if you look at it too long" which is a solid recommendation and a coupon): Unslabbed copies are a couple bucks, and a slabbed 9.6 went for a whole $28. This is some QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 19, March 1993

#8 Venom: Lethal Protector #1 (First issue of Venom's first solo series AND a foil cover!): There's one unslabbed sale for $26, and a number of slabbed copies around the $100 mark. Good pick!
#9 Superman #66 (Possible hint of the first appearance of Doomsday *Narrator: It was not.*): I can only even find one listing, and it didn't sell. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Superman Special #1 (Something about the Superman that died was a fake Superman introduced here. *Narrator: It was not.*): There's a number of sales, all in the single-digit range. This is QUARTER BIN FODDER but given it's a Walt Simonson book, probably one worth snagging if you come across it!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 20, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Top lols at Northstar being a diversity win... for Quebecois

French speakers the second most persecuted minority (after gamers), after all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Issue 20, April 1993

#5 Pitt #1 (duh): The only sales for this are parts of lots for an average cost of around a buck. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#6 Ren & Stimpy #1 (Low print run, and air de-fresheners): Being an early Dan Slott comic, I actually expected this might be worth a little bit today. But it's not. The only sales are in small dollar lots. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Simpsons Comics and Stories #1 (1993's hottest adult animation series gets its own comic series! How this not be a hot comic?): Bagged copies run $10-20. :mediocre:

Issue 21, May 1993

#4 X-O Manowar #4 (First appearance of Shadowman AND was in last month's Comic Watch :thunk:): Unslabbed copies around $4.50, slabbed about 10 times that. Barely beats being quarter bin fodder, but still a bad pick.
#6 Solar: Man of the Atom #14 (First appearance of Dr. Eclipse): No individual sales, and one lot averaging $2 per comic. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 22, June 1993

#6 Spawn #3 (Low print run): A slabbed 9.8 sold for $90, and an unslabbed copy sold in a lot with issues 1, 2, and 4 for $40 total. :mediocre: pick here, Wizard.
#7 Youngblood #2 (First appearance of Shadowhawk): This is a weird one. One copy sold for $20. Another for $10. A slabbed 9.5 sold for $15. I guess we can call this :mediocre:? Definitely not a good one.
#10 Batman: Sword of Azrael (First appearance of Azrael, soon to be Batman): Sits around the $5 range. Bad pick, but at least it's not stuck in the quarter bins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Wild. Almost all early Image stuff was dollar bin fodder for us. Spawn was the exception.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that one. Who cares about Youngblood or Shadowhawk? Apparently like three people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love the Deathmate article saying they'll definitely be out on time, and really, Image's lateness issue isn't an issue at all. That early bit when Image was trying to be a singular universe is pretty interesting, but it's not too surprising that didn't last long for a variety of reasons. You can already see it falling apart with Jim Lee saying Homage Studios bowing out of any future crossovers.

Also the characters in Deathmate are owned by a whole bunch of companies now: Dynamite has Magnus and Solar, modern Valiant has the original Valiant characters, DC has all the Wildstorm characters, and the remaining Image characters are owned by their respective creators (Except maybe Youngblood? Did Liefeld lose those rights somehow?)

Early Valiant has some interesting ideas both in terms of storytelling and business. A lot of that left with Shooter, but their goal of being a singular, cohesive universe was an interesting one. They also had some really legit talent on both writing and art, which was nice.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 23, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man, I was exactly the right age to think the Azrael and AzBats costumes were the coolest thing ever when they dropped. I even had a big poster of AzBats. Know how many AzBats comics I bought or have even read at this point? One: the one where he puts on the costume. I also got the Sword of Azrael trade at some point. It's a decent little story, and I'm still a fan of Quesada's art.

I'm going to knock out the last two issues for year two here and give the stats, then I'll try to stick to three issues per post going forward with a year-end recap. I also need to take my mind of this morning's events, and this will help, however briefly.

Issue 23, July 1993

#1 Batman #492 (Knightfall Part 1): There's a handful of sales. Loose it runs a couple bucks. Slabbed have gone for a slow as $10 for a 9.4. Some definite QUARTER BIN FODDER here.
#2 Detective Comics #659 (Knightfall Part 2, and Batman starts making a new Batsuit): There's one single sale, and some lot sales, all are a couple bucks. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#4 Bloodshot #6 (Maybe (it is) the first appearance of Ninjak. More importantly, it stars Bloodshot, main character of hit film Bloodshot!): One copy sold for $6, another for a whole penny. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#7 Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1 (First appearance of Bane, low print run): Open copies range from $40-100, while slabbed are running up to $700 for 9.8 copies. Great pick by Wizard here!
#9 Spawn #5 (Low print run I guess?): No individual sales, but a lot including it sold for $2 average per comic. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Amazing Spider-Man #300 (First appearance of Eddie Brock, last of Spider-Man regularly in the black costume): Unslabbed copies are $500+, while slabbed can get another 50% at least on top of that. Two great picks in one month by Wizard! (This one is probably a bit of an asterisk, though, as I'm sure this issue was already reasonably valuable at this point - it would be interesting to see what the price guide says.)

Issue 24, August 1993

#2 Shadowman #16 (First appearance of Dr. Mirage): No surprise that this is selling for single dollars. QUARTER BIN FODDER

YEAR 2 TOP 10 COMIC STATS

Total unique comics appearing: Of 120 total comics appearing, this year was a bit more varied than the previous with 38 comics getting their first appearances on the list. Note that I am not including comics that first appeared in Year 1, which had the benefit of Issue 1 having 10 first-time appearances. The comic market was definitely moving a bit faster this year.

Appearance by publisher: Issue 17 is where Valiant overtakes Marvel

Valiant: 58
Image: 23
Marvel: 23
DC: 13
Welsh: 2
Dark Horse: 1

As expected, Valiant was the runaway pick for the year, overtaking Marvel pretty quickly by issue 17. The only one that has any real value in 2022 is a special issue that required you cutting apart eight other comics to even get. After being by far the big winner in year 1, Marvel fell way behind, with less than a quarter of the appearances in year 2, though it was the clear number 2 until issue 24 when Image (which didn't even exist until the end of the prior year!) managed to catch up. DC also improved quite a bit from year 1, and Welsh (Does this eventually become Bongo Comics?) and Dark Horse also managed to appear.

Overall appearances:

Marvel: 133
Valiant: 65
Image: 23
DC: 16
Welsh: 2
Dark Horse: 1

No surprises here. Marvel had a big year 1, and Valiant was the big winner in year 2, but not nearly as overwhelmingly.

Most valuable comic in 2022: A late entry to the list, but Amazing Spider-Man #300 continues to be a valuable comic having been printed in the days before the comic bubble and being the first appearance of one of Marvel's most enduring antiheroes, Eddie Brock.

Longest time in top 10: New Mutants #87 came into the year on a 12-appearance streak, and managed three more appearances for 15 total, making it still the longest-running book in the Top 10. Accounting only for year 2, there's a three way tie with Magnus: Robot Fighter #12, Rai #0, and Spawn #4 each making eight appearances.
Runner-up: In a tie with five appearances each, it was MORBIN' TIME as Amazing Spider-Man #101 and Rai #4 followed up.
There was a whole slew of one and done appearances this year: Magnus #0, Unity #0, Spectacular Spider-Man #189, Uncanny X-Men #266 (though this had a number of Year 1 appearances), John Byrne's Next Men #1, Harbinger #10, Harbinger #4, Superman #75, Magnus: Robot Fighter #5, WildC.A.T.S. #2, Superman Special #1, Pitt #1, Ren & Stimpy #1, Spawn #3, Spawn #5, Shadowman #16, and Spawn #2. Superman #75 has the dubious honor of appearing exactly once, in the #1 position, then getting followed up with "Oops! We goofed!" when its value fell back to earth.

Series with the most most comics appearing: Spawn, with issues 1-5 each appearing. Magnus: Robot Fights, Harbinger, and Rai each had three issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kinda wish Wizard was still around so I could ask Corey Winston what they thought of AvX

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

catlord posted:

Look at the drat thing. I love it.
This is the poster I had! It was so cool! Look at it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Sorry if this has already come up, but I remember there being either comic store gossip or maybe it was actually in wizard, in regards to Superman 75 it was a going rumor that the black bag was made of some super acidic plastic that would rot the armband and the comic itself over time. Anyone remember that? Anyone actually open one recently and find melty dust to confirm? They’re cheap enough…
I've never heard this but for $10 shipped I'm willing to find out.

Dawgstar posted:

It's still not a dollar bin book if that helps. The mini-series was always hard to find. Some of the variants for the ongoing are also kind of up there. (I am slightly curious what the highest slabbed copy of the cover which has Fairchild and Grunge doing the infamous Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover goes for, but not enough to look.)

I can't find any slabbed, but unslabbed are running $65-85.

Edit: lol ordered Superman. Let's see how this works out in a few days

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 25, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:negative:

Well at least I'll get a cool arm band.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad to see Rai #0 is still the hottest poo poo around

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My sealed Superman #75 came! And as X-O said, no, the plastic didn't destroy everything. It all seems totally fine, and the comic itself is in good shape for a 30 year old book.

Not a bad package for $2.50 cover price - a comic (albeit one that is 100% splash pages), a cheap armband, a good-size poster, some stamps (I'm annoyed these aren't stickers), an in-universe news story, and a trading card

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I believe that's the 'Funeral For a Friend" poster with the overhead procession of heroes following the casket right? I had that poster on my closet door for YEARS after it.

That's the one! It has a handy dandy checklist on it, so you can stare at it knowing which comics will undoubtedly be worth millions in just a few years' time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Issue 25, September 1993

#1 Batman #497 (Bane badly breaks Batman): This one's got a bunch of sales. Unslabbed we're looking at about $5, while slabbed vary, but no more than $100. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#3 Bloodshot #7 (first full appearance of Ninjak): A number of listings with no sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5 Spawn #2 (this actually first appeared in the previous issue but I missed it. Whoops! Anyway, first appearance of Violator and a low print run): There's a handful of listings, but no sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 26, October 1993

#1 Superman: The Man of Steel #25 (Superman returns): One copy sold for $15. Another sold for $0.99. Another bunch didn't sell at all. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8 Action Comics #689 (Wait, no, Superman actually returns here): One copy sold for $2. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 The Adventures of Superman #466 (origin of Cyborg Superman): One copy sold for $0.98. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 27, November 1993

#1 Daredevil #320 (Fall from Grace Part 1): It sold as part of lots that sold for $5 for $10+ comics. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#4 Daredevil #319 (Fall from Grace Prologue): See above, though one slabbed 9.8 copy sold for $117.50. Still gonna call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER though.
#6 Prime #2 (low print run, pedophile writer): One copy sold for $1.50. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Superman #82 (foil cover and no for real Superman returns this time, but in his real costume): I can't find any completed sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 11, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress yeah WIZARD RINGS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Yeah, they made light of how dumb that was in their 10th anniversary issue.

Morons. If they'd kept running pictures of readers' pets they'd probably still be going.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah, my favorite writer and artist, The Creators

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's time for the next installment of

Issue 28, December 1993

#1 Green Lantern #46 (Low print run of a Reign of the Supermen part): Surprisingly, this one is selling for $35+! Wait, no, that's the Looney Toons variant cover of the last volume. This issue doesn't sell at all. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#2 Moon Knight #55 (Art by Stephen Platt - he's kind of like McFarlane!): Prices are all over the place on this, but entry for unslabbed is running $45, while slabbed is about double that. A surprising good pick by Wizard!
#10 Batman #500 (First appearance of AzBats costume!): Copies are selling $3-4. One person shot their shot and had a starting price of $185. You can imagine where that went. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 29, January 1994

#6 Fantastic Four #381 (The death of Reed): Another $3-4 book. You'll be shocked to learn that Reed came back. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#7 Wolverine #75 (Wolverine's adamantium gets ripped out AND a cool hologram on the cover!): $5-10 unslabbed, $120 for a slabbed 9.8. Bad buy, but not quite quarter bin.
#8 Moon Knight #56 (Stephen Platt - he's still kind of like McFarlane): This one has prices all over the place from not selling for $30 to selling for $65 unslabbed. Slabbed are going $50-100 or so. This is a good pick, but not as good as the previous issue.
#9 Daredevil: Man Without Fear #1 (Frank Miller is back on Daredevil): As someone with a copy of this in a box somewhere, I was hoping this would be a sleeper hit, but unfortunately not. Unslabbed copies run $5-10. Bad buy, but not QBF.
#10 Catwoman #1 (Boobsock art by Jim Balent): The only sale I can find is a copy signed by Balent for $21.50. Everything else gets no bids. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Two issues without a single Valiant book kinda tells you where that company went.

Issue 30, February 1994

#7 Ninjak #1 (New series, Joe Quesada, "low" print run): No sales at all. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9 Avengers West Coast #102 (Avengers West Coast disbanded to become FORCE WORKS): One copy sold for $7. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If BWS had taken that deal for 4% of the company, he would have made $2.6mm in cash and stock when they sold to Acclaim. The stock would end up worthless, but the cash would be good as...cash.

This is the second month with sexy fan art of Crystal. Is this an inside joke I missed?

It sucks for whoever drew the runner-up art that they didn't bother to include their name.

We NEED MORT-o-METER gang tags!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know what's cool? How Mike Allred's art has been fantastic basically his entire career and fits in pretty much every era he's worked in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jim Balant has never seen a woman in spandex, huh? It's funny that he tries to justify it by "hey it's fantasy!" It's also funny that they pulled his joke about Dolly Parton and printed it out of context so it looks like he's actually scared of her.

Also: Alan Moore, writer of Violator

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 21, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's time for another edition of WIZARD TOP 10: WHERE ARE THEY NOW??

Issue 31, March 1994

#5 Marvels #1 (That Alex Ross art tho): This one surprised me a bit. There's basically no sales at all, but one closed at $5. For something with a cover price of $5.95 this is definitely QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8 Gambit #1 (It not Wizard, it Gambit): Copies are selling for around $8 on average. Bad buy.
#10 X-Men Unlimited #3 ("It's good, actually" I guess?): Lots of listings, no sales. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 32, April 1994

#3 Marvels #2 (Still that Alex Ross art tho): You can get it for a couple bucks without much effort. The full series goes for like $20 in a package. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5 Moon Knight #57 (Hey have you heard of this Stephen Platt guy? He draws a Spider-Man that looks like McFarlane drew it!): Unslabbed, this is around $70, while slabbed copies are at least triple this. Great buy here! Who knew?

Issue 33, May 1994

#1 Prophet #4A (Stephen Platt cover): An unslabbed one went for under $25, while a slabbed was under $150. Good pick here?
#2 Beavis and Butthead #1 (First appearance of Beavis and Butthead): Unslabbed copies are around $8, while slabbed range from $31-100. Bad buy, but not an awful one.
#3 Lady Death #1 (BAD GIRL ALERT!!!): One copy sold for $17. I guess that's a decent enough buy. But then you'd have to have had a copy of Lady Death #1 for the last 28 years.
#4 X-Men #30 (Cyclops and Jean Grey finally get married): $1.25-$8 QUARTER BIN FODDER. Probably because it stopped mattering in the interim.
#8 Green Lantern #50 (Hal Jordan kills the rest of the GL Corps, absorbs the central power battery and becomes Parallax which gets retconned into him absorbing a yellow space bug years later ALSO the first appearance of Kyle Raynor but who cares about that nerd? - Geoff Johns, probably): $3-7 makes this QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Gen13 #1 (First appearance of Gen13 and Kaitlyn Fairchild's gravity-defying breasts): This one is interesting as Wizard doesn't specify the cover - there was 13 variants printed, though I'm not sure if they had equal runs. That said, none are selling for much other than one signed by Todd McFarlane. I'm going to call this QUARTER BIN FODDER

Hey, six all-new comics this month!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is an issue I definitely had. I even alluded to buying a copy of Green Lantern #47 because of it earlier in the thread, I believe. I was super hyped for Gen X because of it, and may have picked up those issues of Disney Adventures to check out Bone (though I may have had a subscription for some reason?), which I really enjoyed. Sadly, I didn't follow along at the time, but did eventually get the big full series book, and I still love it.

Also, it's good to find out the dastardly Capital Comics Distribution is the reason I was deprived of Rectus Errrectum: Halloween Fun!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

George Perez just straight up saying he likes drawing Starfire because he's horny is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm reaaaaallllly curious what happened between Stroman and Johnson to immediately dissolve a comic and stop working together. Does this come up again or has either ever spoken on the subject?

Oof on that obscenity charge. "We thought you might be a serial killer and were wrong, I guess we'll find a nebulous, difficult to argue charge instead!"