Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

Spend Money Paups

"Your Economy Needs You!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

That's not a three word slogan.

Appeal to nostalgia. The voter base will love it!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Grey Hunter posted:

BRB, off to change my will to make them bury me like Dracula with false plastic teeth.

And put something like a jack in the box spring in to boing you upright if anyone touches the gravestone.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

crispix posted:

appeh jubbleh luvvehs what yiz doin fit' jubbleh weekend?!?!??!??! :britain: :holy:

A couple of nice Turkish lads just finished clearing out the 4-foot-high brambles from my garden this afternoon so I am going to drink alcohol, gaze across the 15-foot-square wasteland of bare earth and try and figure out what the gently caress I want to put in there.

ed: also strike away winegums. They're going to keep treating you all shittier and shittier unless you kick back.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

Plant meadow flowers. Give the cats something to look photogenic in.

I quite like the thought of herbs. And there's a market stall I know in Walthamstow that sells catnip plants, but the trouble with that is they tend to get rolled/chewed to death by every cat in the area before they get a chance to establish themselves....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Runcible Cat posted:

I quite like the thought of herbs. And there's a market stall I know in Walthamstow that sells catnip plants, but the trouble with that is they tend to get rolled/chewed to death by every cat in the area before they get a chance to establish themselves....

And, of course, the cats always look photogenic. They're cats. In evidence I submit:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zero to BARBED WIRE GLOVE in 0.0000007 seconds.

(Actually I got a little stroke of his chest patch in before he gave me The Look.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wolfsbane posted:

If you put the wire part of a hanging basket upside down over the catnip it gives it a bit of a chance to grow without getting rolled on. The cats can still get to the leaves once the plant gets big enough.

That's a good idea! One step closer to setting myself up as the local catdrug queen...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

His Divine Shadow posted:

Saw this and thought of you guys. Hope you don't get cobalt nuked by putin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoEuy46efs&t=2s

It'd be a mercy killing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lead (from behind) an attack on the House as per Trump and the Jan 6th Capitol attack?

He doesn't have a horde of frothing netloons at his command though, hilarious as it'd be to see a gammon army besieging Parliament.

Ugh, snipe. Have cat:

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 5, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Can't seem to get the Eye of Sauron on Big Ben, alas...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

forkboy84 posted:

If you're going several decades without cumming you should see a medical professional OP.

:smith:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Because they're not ballet dancers, duh!

I'm of the era where cybering meant Something Else, which makes that REALLY dark.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

More like Rock Spider Jerusalem.

Barking Spider Jerusalem.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I'm told if its mounted on the inside of a double glazed window, excess heat can get trapped between the glazing and potentially cause the frame to warp. Not sure if true but didn't want to risk it myself.

I tried the even cheaper version; newspaper blu-tacked to the outside of double-glazing and by god it works. The living room's perceptibly cooler and much more comfortable than the bedroom right above it - living room no curtains (thank you covid for delaying the fitters) and bedroom with curtains closed. Not letting the heat in in the first place is definitely the way you want to go.

I reckon I can get hold of some cheap tension bars and make day screens for outside for a few quid out of charity-shop bedsheets or some such. Definitely what I want for the next 30deg+ day.

Or space blankets, but I like having some light in...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Any kind person want to sanity-check me?

My Octopus tariff runs out end of Sept. They've quoted me £225/mth for 12 months (nearly 3x what I'm paying now) or if I don't renew I'll get bumped to the Co-op Flexible variable tariff ("On this tariff prices will rise and fall with wholesale costs") at £100/mth.

I assume this last is A Trap and will be £3000/mth or similar by Jan?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Microplastics posted:

I'd be tempted to take the latter on the basis that:

1. The government will step in and you won't risk paying absurd prices in the future

2. The government won't step in and your utility bill will be the least of your worries

Yeah, honestly that's kind of what I'm thinking. This has to be some kind of "ha ha UK govt give us billions or we destroy your country with ENERGY BILLS" supervillain move, right? They can't possibly be really expecting people to pay those idiotic tariffs, right? ... Right? :smith:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

That's not a return to Victorian times, it's a return to the 14th century - child mortality rates and all.

Yeah, the Victorians at least had the concept of public works and hey, maybe it's kind of uncool to let people starve to death where we can actually see them.

I bet he has wet dreams about bringing back workhouses for people on the dole though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fuctifino posted:

I'm thinking about making a survival cocoon in my flat using a tent, and insulating the bottom with cardboard and the outer with old duvets, and basically spend most of my time in there. It would be cheaper to heat that tiny space than an entire flat.

My current heating is night storage heaters. I only had one of those on this past winter, and that was expensive enough. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it again this coming winter.

I was wondering about the possibility of bodging together one of those foam/foil lined sleeping tents they were giving out to the homeless in France a couple of years ago - these things: https://mashable.com/video/igloo-shelter-homeless-france

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Since we're talking cookers does anyone know why the hell I can't find an electric one with an eye level grill? Every time I think I've found one and click through it's actually a gas one.

Why does nobody want eye level grills any more except me?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I think honestly for the kind of people who mostly buy cookers, i.e landlords and homeowners, the idea of an all in one great big sheet metal thing with a massive void over the hobs and included splashback is pretty unappealing. Everyone wants the fancy tile or brushed steel splashbacks built into the wall, with an extractor hood. Having the cooker, grill, splashback and extractor all be the same appliance sounds like a recipe for trouble if one of them breaks and doesn't at all work with fitted kitchens of varying heights.

Yeah, homeowners like me who don't give a poo poo about a fitted kitchen (since mine is like 8' by 8' and I have any number of things I'd rather spend my derisory wages on anyway) are apparently nonexistent these days. I do like that salamander though, but I need a standalone cooker so it's no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Express had a screamy article yesterday, "Macron slaps Britons abroad in France with eye-watering new tax due to EU law" which turned out to be about rent freezes on houses in the lowest energy efficiency bands. Trying to provoke war with France as the latest distraction tactic?