Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Milo and POTUS posted:

How long has the fully weaponized scotus project been a thing they've tried to realize? 50 years, 60? Nearly 70 if it started with Brown? Just under 40 if BJU vs United states. I'm just trying to ballpark it, figure out how long they've been cooking this thing up.

Oh, and

I have googled it but istg google gets shittier and shittier

I think you're dead on with BJU, but they also began 'weaponizing' political engagement then, too.
Religious conservatives moved to interact with, which led to their dominating, the formerly secular world of politics, which they had mostly left alone the previous 150 years. The religious conservatives also switched from demanding religious orthodoxy which kept them fighting amongst themselves, to demanding political orthodoxy which turned their old enemies into allies.
Religious conservatives were in the same "boo fuckity hoo, everything sucks, it's only getting worse, the powers that be hate us, we're all be extincted" spot that a lot of the rest of us are in now.
The two biggest things they did to fix that were to 1)stop circular firing squad themselves on religious orthodoxy, and to 2) engage wholeheartedly, from city dogcatcher to the Presidency, with the icky, messy, foreign political process and capture it.

e: BJU is Bob Jones University v. US, a 1983 Supreme Court case (8-1, Rehnquist dissenting) that said private (including religious) schools that discriminate on the basis of race lose their tax exempt status.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University_v._United_States

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this the worst you think it's ever been or was taney court worse since it preceded the you know what

I'm thinking the current court is the worst.
I think the Taney court's legacy isn't particularly bad, on the whole. It could have been far worse. But you gently caress a goat one time...
The post new deal supreme court reaches so much further into our lives that it's kind of useless to compare the damage the modern supreme court is capable of doing to the country to any other era, and this court wants to make things worse everywhere.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Weren't we just talking about the Taney court being the worst because of expanding opinions well past the actual case at hand?
Move over Roger, there's a new Worst coming through...

That's what's happening with the EPA case. The Biden administration abandoned the initiative that was the reason for the lawsuit, mooting the issue. SCOTUS decided they'd take the case anyway, for funsies.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

The hilarious thing about the right's hate-on for the chevron doctrine is that it was a unanimous decision in favor of chevron

The policy that the National Resources Defense Center sued over was written by Reagan's new head of EPA, Anne Gorsuch.
Or as Justice Gorsuch would say, Mom.

e: As a new Colorado state legislator in the 1970s, she was known as a member of the "House Crazies," a group of "conservative lawmakers intent on permanently changing government.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 27, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I have no idea why I went to law school

It doesn't take 3 years to learn to say ipse dixit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I'm sure a constitutional convention will go swimmingly