Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I have not lost a child, thank gently caress, but my understanding is that you never stop grieving. I know I wouldn't.

The dinosaur coffin from the end of the last thread got me. My little boy loves dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, watching the tail end of the "hearings" tonight, it struck me. This is Frank Grimes' attempt to "shame" Homer done in real life on live television.

And it'll have the same result. You can't shame people who have no shame.

Yeah this is where I am, although I wish I wasn't. I don't want to be a doomer but it's getting really hard.

All the Twitter libs going "OMG wow boom gotem 🙌🔥🍿" make me feel crazy. No you don't gotem. The architects are still in loving Congress and/or making bank on cable TV, with a whole industrial-scale apologist campaign backing them up. I'll believe this matters when Big People (TM) are getting perp walked.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.podbean.com/ei/dir-53fes-13f61b91

Thanks to our favorite human blob Texas gusano Senator the Supreme Court has ruled recently that giving money directly to politicians after they’re elected to “pay off campaign debt” is free speech and a fundamental aspect of our great democracy.

In other recent news SCOTUS has decided that the cops arresting you for critiquing them is not protected speech nor is the right to vote a fundamental right of our “democracy.”

Hmm seems bad but how is it polling in Ohio diners

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Real, usable, dense public transit and vertical development are required for any meaningful auto reduction in most places. Jumping straight to "ride a bike" is putting the cart before the horse. Of course we'll never get that, but expending a ton of effort to get maybe 1% of people to convert to a bike lifestyle won't do anything either.

Telling people in hot, humid climes that they should bike everywhere will get you precisely nowhere as long as societal norms look unfavorably upon showing up to your white-collar office job (or just about anything) stinky and drenched in sweat.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
This is really a pivotal moment for the United States. The Democrats who control the legislature stand athwart two paths and they must choose one. Now is not the time for dithering or half measures. Only decisive, courageous, and swift action can avert further destruction. Today's Dems need to look to the leading lights of their past for the strength to do what must be done.

I speak, of course, of Ted Kennedy. They must pardon the conspirators in the name of national unity.

Poe's law disclaimer: sarcasm

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ASAPI posted:

Twitter is a gold mine tonight. We now have a challenge to abortion laws on religious grounds.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1536872501921210368?t=jKyRWsUG_hjKnv2qAy5bkg&s=19

If they win, would that allow for abortions or will it result in Jewish people needing to wear identifying marks so we know they are allowed in the abortion clinic?

Up next: an Alito-authored majority opinion that equates this to child sacrifice

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Big night for hypocrites I guess

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1536870640493674496?t=2PkBvlL35dHEsW3__TndQA&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I had to start traveling to Florida for work a lot last year and finally found people who legitimately love Ted Cruz. Nobody here in Texas will admit to liking him.

I stopped traveling because our facility there was only like 1/3 vaxed and was having nonstop covid outbreaks :coronatoot:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Crenshaw has touched the poop enough that I think this counts as an attack of the face-eating jaguars

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

Crenshaw has touched the poop enough that I think this counts as an attack of the face-eating jaguars

Speaking of jaguars eating faces

https://twitter.com/LogCabinGOP/status/1537594283540115457?t=sUer04dU6I12vDhj5GaC0Q&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
They also formally rejected the 2020 election results. Gonna be fun to see what the national platform looks like in 2024.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1538340574918582273?t=TRqW-RwG-LT4vbrK8w4a9g&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Their Twitter up until that happened was all moral outrage over trans people and neo-pronouns, so that more or less answers why they are still playing along

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As much as I love the idea of them tearing themselves to pieces, it inevitably ends up with the shredded bits spiraling further into the vortex and coalescing into something even worse.

Cruz is a marshmallow, he will simply debase himself further in order to stay in office.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Even among conservatives I know here in Texas, few will admit to liking Ted Cruz.

Yet he continues to be re-elected. If there's anything he's good at, it's playing to the lunatic fringe in ways that make him look just grown-up enough that the suburbs will continue voting straight-ticket R.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can't gerrymander a senate election.

Hmm yes, about that

https://twitter.com/paulwaldman1/status/1538878977967890432?t=F4b9XJ5SgSBc_372MHicgA&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My dad had polio when he was 2 or 3. He eventually recovered fully (except one leg is slightly shorter than the other) but it was apparently pretty bad.

Saw a mini-doc recently about how the last few people in the US who still use an iron lung are having trouble getting parts because the companies have been out of business for years. Business opportunity!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The real :crackping: bit - since less than 1% of polio cases develop into paralysis, and the case fatality ratio of paralytic cases is 2% to 5% among children and up to 15% to 30% among adults, it's arguably a less crippling and deadly disease than unvaxxed Covid (source - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/polio.html).

My go-to response to "the cold is a coronavirus too, what's the big deal" has been "yeah well so is polio."

Can't wait for that to get turned on its head. It's just a coronavirus like the cold with a 1% fatality rate, don't infringe on much freedoms :ughh:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The government going full right wing is what will eventually drive me to be living in an RV on a mining claim with large bore revolvers and sasquatch. Just smoking weed, panning for gold, and talking optimistically to the trees about a world post-nuclear apocalypse.

Forget the SA island, let's just speed run creating our own Goodsprings. Goonsprings.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I didn't want to watch it and had to read a half dozen posts down to realize it wasn't Stephen Miller

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Gonna be amazing when they handle it with the same degree of grace and tact they did with mask mandates.

"Property and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We've just received word that the Supreme Court has disbanded the FAA, so rather than waiting for our takeoff clearance, we're just going to go now."

*guns the engines directly into an oncoming 747*

I believe that move is called the Momentarily-Flying Dutchman.

Can't wait for my South Dakota Nonresident Pilot's License. I hear it will be 100% correspondence and the check ride will be an MSFS session streamed over Twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:stare: silly rabbit, only GOP politicians can live tweet Federal crimes for clout

Per WaPo, "a large number" is "at least 40," gently caress