Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
collecting would be if someone were trying to build a set of something, like every american military service rifle or a sampling of prohibition era gangster guns. the common thread here is that the set of items holds some value beyond each item in isolation, and that pursuit of a set is the goal of owning the items

gun people who just compulsively buy generic handguns and AR pattern rifles are much closer to hoarders than collectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Why the gently caress did you take time out of your day to go to bat for people that literally could not care less if you live or die? Decorum? Boredom?

i think they're just pointing out facts about reality that undermine your argument and if this causes you to fly off the handle then this is your responsibility to manage your emotions, not another posters responsibility for making an argument which upset you

managing what is achievable given current priorities among the electorate is an important part of a democracy, turns out. this is true whether or not it makes you unhappy

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

What's that gotten you?

nothing, which is disappointing, but thats not the fault of anyone posting in this thread. getting pissy at people who bother to take you seriously just incentivizes them to write you off as an unwell person with nothing useful to say, who would be unrewarding to interact with

i also wish the democrats would take sweeping action on gun control, but my desire to see this happen is balanced with my understanding of why it has not yet happened. you cannot manifest change into the world through sheer outrage alone, decades of posts in this very forum prove that point. if you're just looking to yell at the nearest person who happened to glance in your direction then my advice would be to not do that

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

Third, gun ownership in the US is largely driven by fantasies. Fantasies that it makes you safer from personal assault, and that it makes you safer from government oppression. These fantasies are both the product of decades of marketing, and I don't feel like they're more realistic when refigured for leftist goals. I do not think personal gun ownership makes you safer if you're black or trans. I do not think guns make you any safer from actual nazis than feminazis, even if actual nazis are more real. Even if you're getting in streetfights against far-right thugs on the regular, Kyle Rittenhouse and Kyle Chapman get to be protected but Michael Reinoehl and Edward Crawford do not.

firearms are also statistically used more often for self harm and for harming close family members than self defense or doing a political act. i absolutely dont trust people with firearms if they can barely manage to keep their social media consumption from developing into full on addiction and spiraling anxiety problems

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
weird gun hoarders are going to hoard guns regardless, what they waste their disposable income on is of little consequence when it comes to public health

this is a bit like saying encouraging vaccines just puts more money into the pockets of big ivermectin. so what? more lives will be saved than not, and the people who were going to eat horse pills to spite the government will find something else to totemically wave about in the name of freedom. maybe we can convince more gun dudes to point loaded pistols at their scrotums

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Also on a practical level, it'll run into two issues. Firstly, it's yet another level of making what is still considered a constitutional right accessible only to the rich.

conversely, i'd say poor children simply don't have the same protections as rich children when it comes to finding loose and improperly stored weapons and shooting each other or themselves

the constitutional right a five year old has to blast holes in their little sibling. car seats are also a classist regulation designed to burden the poor with oppressive safety requirements

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uhh what is the point of this as a response to "black people are overwhelmingly victims of firearm homicide so gun control is weird to frame as being inherently racist"

like this seems like a non sequitur at best and based on your comments on this page i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that this isn't just warmed over "black on black violence is the real problem!" but uhh you might want to explain yourself in more detail because it is very easy to get a wrong impression off this brief comment

also as jaxyon said the math doesn't work out to support your claim so you probably should substantiate this argument more or retract it entirely

e: oh

PeterCat posted:

I've seen plenty of articles talking about how black people "saved" the country by turning out in the 2020 election. If they want the credit for 2020 they can take the blame for 2016.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

never mind

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 15, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
whether its poor people or mentally ill people or abused spouses or whatever, republicans don't have a monopoly on exploiting harms done to vulnerable people to explain that actually what we need is MORE firearms

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

I really don't know what to do about the problem that people are more attached to the fantasy of heroically shooting down an assailant than they are to their own lives or their families' lives, let alone the lives of strangers. It seems like an unsolvable problem, sometimes.

you don't really, this is an american cultural preference. we love unnecessarily large vehicles, we love surrounding our homes with big lawns, and we love owning firearms to perpetuate the fantasy that at some point we will righteously gun down the criminal horde/the evil government/the nazi death squads

Harold Fjord posted:

Statistics don't apply cleanly to people as individuals and insisting that people treat themselves statistically is an absurd fantasy.

this is why i don't wear a seatbelt, i will simply use my superior reflexes to brace myself against the dashboard in the event of a crash

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"statistics are a lie because individual outcomes can be different in my mind" is a breathtakingly new frontier of goofy internet arguments, gotta applaud this one

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

If we take more individualized statistics into consideration, men should be banned from owning guns.

i simply would not murder my wife and family in a fit of rage, so i don't understand what the big deal is with this so called "public health epidemic of intimate partner violence". maybe people need to exercise more personal responsibility?

Harold Fjord posted:

Well you certainly aren't going to fix the issue you claim to want to fix if you insist that lovely math is the way to do it. Don't ask a question if you aren't open to real answers, imo.

so you're really going with "i am the true math understander" here

bold. i admire your confidence in yourself

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 20, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Why are we fighting about math, I haven't seen a single equation. We're still firmly in the public health and psychology wilds here.

claiming that everyone who disagrees with me is simply too stupid to count to 10 is much easier than accepting the fact that the #1 cause of death for pregnant women in the united states is being murdered by a partner, the majority of which are caused by firearms

maybe these women should simply try not becoming a statistic? it is such a cliche

Harold Fjord posted:

You can't just wave aggregate stats at people who know those stats are full of confounding favors that don't apply to them and expect them to conclude that they personally exactly fit the population average and should change accordingly .

i agree with you that evidence based approaches are simply not accepted by people unwilling to confront a truth that they disagree with, yes. this was amply demonstrated by the number of people who refused to get vaccinated against COVID

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 20, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Statistics are what matters when determining public policy.

yes, but we must employ decorum so that we do not offend the people we need to persuade out of bad thinking

look, just because i drink while driving a lot doesn't mean my behavior is dangerous. i've never hit anyone, i'm very careful! the rules shouldn't apply to me! i just like to have a drink from time to time and i have places to be, and if you call me reckless or an alcoholic i will simply ignore you as the shrieking moralist you are

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i hate to inform you, but people arguing on the something awful forums has zero impact on public policy. in fact, this is much more likely to be a defensive and childish reaction to being publicly mocked on a discussion forum - "how dare you make fun of me?! your political policies will never be enacted so long as you continue to post like this" and whatnot

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
could the protagonist of reality to whom rules don't apply please log on and settle this for all us NPCs? i promise that my dialog tree is shallow and easy to navigate. thank you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harold Fjord posted:

gently caress you making poo poo up about me. Quote me doing this

Harold Fjord posted:

No this is just reality and basic math. Each individual does not have the same exact odds of outcome as all individuals in aggregate. Insisting that they do makes you look stupid as gently caress on top of ineffective approach to changing their minds

there's no other way to read this other than you agreeing with cease to hope that people think of themselves as being outside of the law of averages because they're special

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sorry that you made a weird argument and multiple people read it in a way which is embarassing to you but that is nobody's fault but your own, comrade

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've been in a couple situations where someone threatened my life, but i don't carry a firearm, so it was not possible for me to defend myself with a firearm

in the once instance i ran away and in the other instance the bartender threatened to call the cops and my assailant ran away. maybe sometimes someone uses a firearm in a legally and morally justified way to ward off a mortal threat, maybe sometimes someone reacts to a perceived insult by killing multiple innocent people. regardless, these are just anecdotes, but added up all together, firearms cause more deaths in the united states than motor vehicle accidents

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Where are you getting that from?

There were 38,324 fatalities due to auto accident in 2020.

There were 19,384 murders where a firearm was in the instrument in 2020.

i'm including the 24,292 firearm suicides

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Why? Japan has a higher suicide rate than the United States and it's nearly impossible to get a gun there.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/622249/japan-suicide-number-per-100-000-inhabitants/

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71...%20population).

because suicides by firearm are a death, caused by a firearm, included when i said "deaths by firearm"

if you want to pick apart the details for some reason then i have some troubling information for you about the motor vehicle death rate for people who do not operate nor ride in motor vehicles

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm simply pointing out factual information amount the number of deaths caused by firearms in the united states in 2020. any struggles you have with this factual information are your responsibility alone to overcome

you are the only person in this conversation to bring up japan or gun bans. i wish you well on your adventure to find someone to participate in this argument with you but i cannot join you on your quest

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

So can I take it that the current conversation about guns in America and the complete absurdity of everything is going to die off again because the pro gun side will point to this and pretend that Good Guys With A Gun™ will be available at every corner to stop the mass shooters so that they only kill an acceptable minimum of two or three people at a time?

i dunno, the narrative about the rare good guy with a gun stopping a mass shooting is getting way less traction than the outrage over the uvalde cops, a hundred trained armed professionals who took well over an hour to stop a single shooter

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
apologies, i'm on desktop and didn't notice the corpse

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

Can you describe the particular steps of this holistic approach?

step 1: thoughts
step 2: prayers dismantle global capital and reinvent society from the ground up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

It's easy to laugh at him (and I do, every time I think about it), but the truth is that if you want to fix the roots of America's rather insane gun culture, you have to address the cultural factors that make a guy like this think some people talking to him in a park could be a threat. That's a perfectly insane thing to think, and that kind of paranoia is driving the desire to have firearms for personal defense. That being said, I absolutely think he believes every word of what he said, and that he thinks there was actually a possible threat there. That's what we need to address.

a significant contributor to this mindset is media which caters to people's fears, usually blaring from a never turned off screen, driving compulsive use to "stay informed" while also magnifying the worst examples. this media also provides commentary on those examples from pundits and the public alike, biased and catering to the tastes of the audience, which serves to just make this artificially boosted problem look even more dire and ever present. ultimately this leads to a fear that society is on an inevitable downward spiral into collapse and violence, from which the only possible recourse is to be armed for when the dangerous people come to claim you

why yes, of course i'm talking about local television news. what else could i possibly be talking about?