Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Like, wtf is a sine, cosine, tangent? I never learned about those in school (i mean they taught us but i didn't learn it). I'm trying to review some of it through videos but it's hard to grasp it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Cosine is what they make you do when you try to get a loan but you’re poor or black OP.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ive forgotten basically all math i was taught as a child including long division

we have computers now

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Big Scary Owl posted:

Like, wtf is a sine, cosine, tangent? I never learned about those in school (i mean they taught us but i didn't learn it). I'm trying to review some of it through videos but it's hard to grasp it.

Do drugs and leave that poo poo up to people who are crazy enough to put up with it.

Numbers- who the gently caress needs 'em, am I right?

*takes a big honkin' toke off a bong made from obtuse angles of the hypotenuse*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

I too made it through high school without ever finding out what the hell those were

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
the good news is it doesn't matter

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

It’s math for angles OP

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Chinatown posted:

ive forgotten basically all math i was taught as a child including long division

we have computers now

:hmmyes:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's all circles and lines.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

goatface posted:

It's all circles and lines.

so is a set of balls and a dick now you mention it

makes u think

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Chinatown posted:

we have computers now

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Who the gently caress needs to know math lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Using trig you can work out how long your dick would be if it didn't have that sharp bend to the left

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SOHCAHTOA-me

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

a sine wave comes out of a synthesizer

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

here you go OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4fulKVv2c

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Big Scary Owl posted:

Trig is all about right angle triangles right,

Imagine a right angle triangle,

It's kinda impossible to change the length of one side, or just one angle and keep the right angled triangle still being a right angled triangle. That is to say there is a relationship between how long the sides of triangle is , and the angles present. And it is thankfully a linear A=BC relationship

There are three ways this relationship can be arranged, the names for these relationships is Sin Cosine & Tangent

Armed with this knowledge and one side and angle, you can predict the rest of the triangle with algebra

Straight up if you are struggling with this and need to get it down pat, shoot me a PM and I'll happily get on a video chat or something

I help students with this level of math pretty much daily and have a lot of experience teaching it

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 2, 2022

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
visualise a thing moving in a circle at a constant speed. now imagine off to one side of the circle, a thing that moves in one dimension (up and down) and stays level with the thing moving in a circle. now imagine that second moving thing has a pen attached to it and there's a piece of paper underneath scrolling past at a constant speed. the pen draws a sine wave on the paper.

sine and cosine are also called "circular functions" because they are closely related to circles.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Jestery posted:

It's kinda impossible to change the length of one side, or just one angle and keep the right angled triangle still being a right angled triangle. That is to say there is a relationship between how long the sides of triangle is , and the angles present. And it is thankfully a linear A=BC relationship

Armed with this knowledge and one side and angle, you can predict the rest of the triangle with algebra

Straight up if you are struggling with this and need to get it down pat, shoot me a PM and I'll happily get on a video chat or something

I help students with this level of math pretty much daily and have a lot of experience teaching it

I like to show that using rifle sights also uses basic trig, as the real life connection (lots of hunters and gun nut kids here).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’m a big dumb loving idiot when it comes to most things, but I can still remember algebra and finding fractions and percentages/decimals and all that poo poo.

Probably because I worked in maintenance and need to find square footage and angles and lengths. Basic trigonometry is good for stuff like that, and that’s as far as I go with it.

Calculus is a whole other :psyduck: for me.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's made up nonsense OP look at this poo poo

You think that's real? It's not

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Circles and lines.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Trig’ discipline

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It gets more interesting on non-planar surfaces.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jestery posted:

There are three ways this relationship can be arranged, the names for these relationships is Sin Cosine & Tangent

I'd like a drawing or something if possible but

Mooey Cow posted:

not like this

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I'm a programmer and I don't know anything about math but I assume none of it is more complex than object inheritance.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Google “ soh cah toa” and click the images tab

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

BRO have you ever listened to TOOL ??

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Google “ soh cah toa” and click the images tab

I look at it and I get that I can calculate stuff with sohcahtoa but I still don't know what a cosine actually is

Jestery posted:

Sure thing, gimme a bit of time, I just clocked on to work

Cool!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'd like a drawing or something if possible but

not like this

Sure thing, gimme a bit of time, I just clocked on to work

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's the imaginary component.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Big Scary Owl posted:

I look at it and I get that I can calculate stuff with sohcahtoa but I still don't know what a cosine actually is

Cool!

Think of it as a way to convert linear motion to radial motion. You just need to use the correct conversion code - those are sine, cosine. Maybe more succinctly, conversion tool for measuring in distance, vs angles.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A cosine is a number.

But it's easier to remember and write cos(37) than to write 0.7654. Especially because if the angle changes, so does its cos, sin, and tan.

So what you do is you use algebra to figure out what the algebraic answer you're looking for will be in terms of cos, sin, and tan, then you replace the cos(37) in your equation with 0.7654 and get the numeric answer

Edit:
It used to be that your trig textbooks would have like 200 pages of tables for all the sins and cosines and tangents and secants and cotangents and cosecants for every angle from 0.0 to 179.9

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 2, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And another thing, what's this dark matter thing I keep hearing about, and why can't they detect it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i use it every day, op

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

And another thing, what's this dark matter thing I keep hearing about, and why can't they detect it

Cause it ain't bloody there that's why

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Big Scary Owl posted:

Cool!

Unless you want to go deeper into math, sin cos and tan are just labels for formulae

This can be further explained if you want but goes a bit beyond the purview of entry level trig

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mooey Cow posted:

Cause it ain't bloody there that's why

It does seem like a cop-out

"those faraway galaxies are moving so fast bexause of uhhhh dark matter. i ain't gotta explain poo poo"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

however,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011